What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arizona Safeties (1 Viewer)

matttyl

Footballguy
What's going on with the Arizona safeties?  Currently, three of the teams top tacklers are listed as safeties - Baker, Bethea, and Boston.  They each have over 30 solos, while aside from those 3 and LB Bynes (what are the odds their top 4 tacklers all have names that start with B?!), no other defender has more than 20.  So are they playing a base "big nickle" with all 3 safeties on the field pretty much all the time?  Are any of those safeties playing more in the box than the others?

Cardinals have been playing three- and four- safety sets for a few years now with success.  They have safeties who can play corner-like roles innthe slot, and safeties that can come up and fill the box as needed.  Seems not to be any defined roles week to week, but they are put in position to make plays.

Expect unpredictability in which safety has the best output week to week, but fairly predictable fantasy production from all of them.

Well, these three safeties are currently #1, #2 and #3 league-wide in solo tackles.  Each of them have over 30, while no other DB has more than 29.  That's really why I was asking.  All three are tearing it up. 

I would expect it to continue ... it's not like they have a stud LB or two to soak up the tackles.  Like Arodin said, they've been running this scheme for a while now.  Those three safeties all get 95%+ of the snaps every week.

I would expect it to continue ... it's not like they have a stud LB or two to soak up the tackles.  Like Arodin said, they've been running this scheme for a while now.  Those three safeties all get 95%+ of the snaps every week.
Your conclusion is right, but it is a new coaching staff this year that's not utilizing Reddick and is only sporadically using Bucannon.  I'm curious if things get changed up a bit soon as the losses have piled up.  

Your conclusion is right, but it is a new coaching staff this year that's not utilizing Reddick and is only sporadically using Bucannon.  I'm curious if things get changed up a bit soon as the losses have piled up.  
If they did, how do you think it would go?  Which safety would they take off the field to bring in Reddick/Bucannon?

31st in the league vs. the run... pretty safe bet that is not a coincidence. Someone else mentioned the ARZ coaching staff seeming like they don't know what the hell they're doing so it's anyone's guess if they'll change things up and what that change may look like. 

Users who are viewing this thread