Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Joe Bryant

Eagles Backfield Now? - Jay Ajayi to IR

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Thunderlips said:

Bell would undoubtedly cost a draft pick(s).  With a big contract for Wentz looming, giving away a high pick for Bell will hurt them in their ability to assemble cheap talent around (presumably) one of the highest paid players in the game. 

If Wentz is who the Eagles think he is....he'll have multiple windows to win; as long as they don't break the bank on other players until they absolutely need to. 

Bell, to me, is a guy who'd be better suited going to a good contending team who is coming to the end of a run for a franchise QB.....a team maybe like GB, BAL or PIT.

Although he may suit up this year for the Steelers unless something unexpected happens I think the they have given up on the notion of signing Bell long-term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Philly might want to wait on giving Wentz a huge contract after that injury so far ...hes looked ok... Might be David Carr 2.0 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People pulling back on their bids for Smallwood and Clement, what if they dont trade for McCoy? Anything can happen, but this is a stretch still. Clement and Smallwood are both capable for what the Eagles do and McCoy has a lot of baggage to put it mildly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

People pulling back on their bids for Smallwood and Clement, what if they dont trade for McCoy? Anything can happen, but this is a stretch still. Clement and Smallwood are both capable for what the Eagles do and McCoy has a lot of baggage to put it mildly.

Plus the Eagles have a week 9 bye, so I'd suspect McCoy (or any other RB they may trade for) won't be fully relied on until week 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Groh On the running back situation

Groh opened by talking about losing Jay Ajayi. He admitted that Ajayi was a big part of what they’ve done and it’s an injury that will impact the team. Specifically he pointed to Ajayi’s physicality missing from the field, but touted the guys they have.

He did point out though that Wendell Smallwood has “done a really nice job in the playing time he’s gotten” and the coaches are pleased with his production thus far this season. Smallwood, along with Corey Clement and Darren Sproles once they get back, is enough for the team to be happy with the guys they have on roster.

Clement is one of the guys Groh thinks could be a featured back for the team, and said he’s close to being 100% again. Groh pointed out Clement having some of Ajayi’s physicality when he runs, plus “he’s an outstanding receiver out of the backfield”.

Later on he was asked about Ajayi coming in mid-season last year, and whether they’ll have the time to bring in someone after Thursday’s game and get them acclimated. Groh admitted there’s a learning curve for any player you bring in during the season, but Duce Staley is an outstanding teacher and could get someone ready again, just like he did with Ajayi.

<snip>

Wentz continued to talk about Wendell Smallwood stepping up over the last two games, and Corey Clement coming back will be big for them. He also touched on Josh Adams having to have an increased role as well.

The quarterback said he still feels like they have a stable of workhorses there, but it’s tough losing Jay. Wentz would agree that it’ll be more of a running back by committee approach, but he also pointed out that’s kind of been their strategy all along, even with Ajayi.

Edited by Amused to Death
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The General said:

Doesn't seem like they are making a trade. All the salary cap stuff is very prohibitive.

Guessing Clement gets 1st crack to get like 60% of the work with a lot of schemes for quick passes. Wentz will be busy.

They have plenty of cap space after restructuring Cox's contract, but even with that I don't see them making any kind of major splash for a RB.  Smallwood will be the early down back, Clement the passing back.  They will probably sign someone for depth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oswizzle said:

Philly might want to wait on giving Wentz a huge contract after that injury so far ...hes looked ok... Might be David Carr 2.0 

Wentz has looked fine in his games back, have you been watching the games  The only issue is the line has been playing horrible and not giving him much time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chapie1968 said:

They have plenty of cap space after restructuring Cox's contract, but even with that I don't see them making any kind of major splash for a RB.  Smallwood will be the early down back, Clement the passing back.  They will probably sign someone for depth. 

Clement is the bigger back and probably better all around.  I'd think on a weekly basis it'll be Clement that gets the bulk of the work, including goal line.  But regardless, this will be a 3-way committee.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, steelwind said:

They have a real practice today so if Clement puts in a full session then that will determine whether I burn my #3 waiver on Smallwood.

Per BGN:

Four players were full participants: Derek Barnett, Corey Clement, Sidney Jones, and Jason Peters. Seems like we’ll see Barnett and Clement return to action this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oswizzle said:

Philly might want to wait on giving Wentz a huge contract after that injury so far ...hes looked ok... Might be David Carr 2.0 

His O-Line has been playing like the one Carr played behind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oswizzle said:

Philly might want to wait on giving Wentz a huge contract after that injury so far ...hes looked ok... Might be David Carr 2.0 

David Carr had a MVP like season at some point? Geez, that one got by me.  Lol.  Clueless. 

Edited by JuniorNB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Would you guys drop Ron Jones to go after part of this RBBC?

I would hold off on that as the Philly backfield is still too fluid ... potentially bring in another RB to share with Sproles, Clement, Smallwood and even Josh Adams?  Why would you want to drop somebody who is moving up for a smaller part of pie?  5 RB's splitting 35 touches a game?  Even at 30-40% share = 10-14 touches...  

I lost Ajayi (my RB2 behind Kamara) and made an offer (K Cole) for McCoy on Monday and it was countered & accepted (gave up Watkins - my WR5) so I am holding off on any more activity. Our league BB Waivers run today at 3 pm so maybe we have more news before then...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 8:09 AM, BearsFan4Life said:

As a Clement owner, I am tempted to sell and see what I can get. I think I can get 2 2nd Round Rookie Picks for him.  Player wise I don't think I can get much.  I also own Bell.  IF IF IF Bell goes to PHI, Clement then would become nothing. Do you roll the dice and deal Clement or stash him (picked him off waivers before week 1) 

I drafted Clement with a last round flyer in my RB-hungry PPR league, knowing that Ajayi is injury prone and was already experiencing back issues. Dropped to pick up Lindsay early, which I'm happy about, but losing Fournette until potentially WK10 has left me really thin at RB in general, and definitely need to manage bye weeks.

Was able to scoop up Clement with a waiver pick -- didn't actually expect to get him given my priority.

I am thinking of dealing him to an RB needy squad (did I mention we're an RB-heavy league and waiver options are very few and far between) to help bolster my WR squad for a mid-tier guy with upside, like a Funchess, Brown, Fuller type of guy hoping that need and perceived potential is there. I may more realistically target guys like Shepard or Boyd.

Would be great to get thoughts on trade-offs between leveraging Clement as depth knowing his cap, or flipping him as well. To your point, I think flipping him right now might be the better play, and this week where it's mostly expectations/conjecture out there on how this backfield will shape up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok.... QUALIFIER:  I am not saying this is 100% reliable, but a "somewhat connected $$ season ticket fan" in Philly says they are going for Arz RB David Johnson in a late pick & Corey Clement trade.  He did not have any more details but he did says this was being discussed as "potential" as part of Roseman's homework on negotiations on a  "pass catching RB". 

DJ signed a 3 year $39M deal last month ($30M guaranteed)... ..this would be in line with the cap moves. 

CC is RFA in 2020.

My Take: he has been aware of moves before, but this is more specific than he normally reveals (to me anyway), so I think it has some traction.....If only to reduce the cost of Bell is a possibility too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I drafted Clement with a last round flyer in my RB-hungry PPR league, knowing that Ajayi is injury prone and was already experiencing back issues. Dropped to pick up Lindsay early, which I'm happy about, but losing Fournette until potentially WK10 has left me really thin at RB in general, and definitely need to manage bye weeks.

Was able to scoop up Clement with a waiver pick -- didn't actually expect to get him given my priority.

I am thinking of dealing him to an RB needy squad (did I mention we're an RB-heavy league and waiver options are very few and far between) to help bolster my WR squad for a mid-tier guy with upside, like a Funchess, Brown, Fuller type of guy hoping that need and perceived potential is there. I may more realistically target guys like Shepard or Boyd.

Would be great to get thoughts on trade-offs between leveraging Clement as depth knowing his cap, or flipping him as well. To your point, I think flipping him right now might be the better play, and this week where it's mostly expectations/conjecture out there on how this backfield will shape up.

I guess the question is will you play Clement IF he's a low end RB2/Flex level player. 

If they don't pick anyone up--Smallwood will get touches, Sproles will likely infringe on passing downs, they may try to get the rookie some touches.  They could still trade. 

Unless you need the RB depth, I lean towards trading him.

 

I'm in a 0.5 PPR IDP league.  30 man rosters, keep 15 players.  Start RB/RB/Flex among others. 

 

I can't get Clement, but I did get Smallwood.  I'm shopping Smallwood.  I may trade him for a 4.  Obviously, he's a bit below Clement.  But, I don't know that Clement has way more value either given the committee cluster it could be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Birdie048 said:

Ok.... QUALIFIER:  I am not saying this is 100% reliable, but a "somewhat connected $$ season ticket fan" in Philly says they are going for Arz RB David Johnson in a late pick & Corey Clement trade.  He did not have any more details but he did says this was being discussed as "potential" as part of Roseman's homework on negotiations on a  "pass catching RB". 

DJ signed a 3 year $39M deal last month ($30M guaranteed)... ..this would be in line with the cap moves. 

CC is RFA in 2020.

My Take: he has been aware of moves before, but this is more specific than he normally reveals (to me anyway), so I think it has some traction.....If only to reduce the cost of Bell is a possibility too. 

Interesting -- thanks for sharing!

How does this move the stock for DJ? Have to think that DJ explodes behind a top-rank O-line.

And for Clement, would assume AZ might be an RBBC if that happens, but Chase Edmonds/TJ Logan seem like less of a threat than Smallwood/Sproles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not buying DJ to Philly for a single second. Obviously if he lands there its a bump for sure and gives him his value he should have as an elite player, give him a few week to learn his plays, but he is not going to be traded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tackle for loss said:

Not buying DJ to Philly for a single second. Obviously if he lands there its a bump for sure and gives him his value he should have as an elite player, give him a few week to learn his plays, but he is not going to be traded.

I have no problem with the skepticism but what is your reason against DJ to Philly?    

• His contract is not an issue ($39M for 3 years)

• His age is not an issue (26)

• There is a need in Philly (how many weapons are hurt... 4?)

• Arz is not “contenting” and is about to lost Fitz too so “rebuild” starts when??

• Roseman has pulled off big moves before to compete (history shows from last years efforts)

• DJ does not have the cost (pick or $) of Bell

• DJ does not have the “off-field baggage” Shady brings

 

All I am saying is it has merit, not that it is certain!  And if you want to take the pre-trade risk, the cost now for DJ is at all time low!  And I am trying to BUY!!

 

Edited by Birdie048

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jm192 said:

I guess the question is will you play Clement IF he's a low end RB2/Flex level player. 

If they don't pick anyone up--Smallwood will get touches, Sproles will likely infringe on passing downs, they may try to get the rookie some touches.  They could still trade. 

Unless you need the RB depth, I lean towards trading him.

 

I'm in a 0.5 PPR IDP league.  30 man rosters, keep 15 players.  Start RB/RB/Flex among others. 

 

I can't get Clement, but I did get Smallwood.  I'm shopping Smallwood.  I may trade him for a 4.  Obviously, he's a bit below Clement.  But, I don't know that Clement has way more value either given the committee cluster it could be.

Only team of 14 interested is a rebuilding team who has might give 2 2nd round rookie picks or Rams D and a pick..dynasty wise may just hold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would expect Clement to get the larger share, and he has the higher ceiling as well. Sproles and Smallwood will have flex value if either of the other two were to be absent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, this is clear as mud, it could be Clement, or Smallwood, or Sproles, any given game, or the Eagles could trade for Johnson, McCoy or Bell. Great.

Actually I like Clement but I think this will go like the receiving situation, it could be anyone who leads based on the matchup.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of trade talks going on - whether it is reporters trying to dig up something out of nothing is yet to be seen but none of the current Eagles RBs could end up having much value if they bring someone in. I would love to see them get Howard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

I always liked the way Smallwood performed when given the chance. I would be curious about what the negatives are about his game that they do not trust him with the job.

I think pass protection has been the big knock on him, but not sure if that is still an issue. Overall, I agree that he seems to have performed well in limited opportunities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got Smallwood on the cheap as well, while Clement went for 10%. Hold a week or two, watch from afar and if/ when it doesn't work out you're no worse off.

Edited by BigAl21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, need2know said:

I got Clement for basically nothing.  Trying to decide to start him or coutee at flex

facing same decision.   I'm going to start them both, and sit ADP to create a spot in my lineup this week.   I think CC has a good chance to bust a long run on a wet field tonight with defenders unable to pivot and chase as quickly as normal, and am ok sitting Peterson as 'skins will be playing from behind yet again, which means AP watching from sidelines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clement to be on a pitch count.  I don't really trust either if you have other options.  Even though they both should get 15 touches/targets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Clement to be on a pitch count. I don't really trust either if you have other options. Even though they both should get 15 touches/targets.

I don't even know what this really means. Is he definitely not close to 100%? Because every PHI RB has been on a pitch count for two seasons now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Sounds good to me.

Ya, that includes targets though.  Could see both around 10 for 45 on the ground and 3 for 25 through the air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

I don't even know what this really means. Is he definitely not close to 100%? Because every PHI RB has been on a pitch count for two seasons now. 

Adam Caplan tweet:

“Erin Andrews on Fox pregame show: - Pederson told her Corey Clement (quadriceps) will be on a "pitch count." She added Pederson told her, "we need to see what kind of game shape he is in." Wendell Smallwood will get the start.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pitch count?  Snap count maybe.  Play count, sure.  Why would it be “pitch count”?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCT said:

Pitch count?  Snap count maybe.  Play count, sure.  Why would it be “pitch count”?

The Eagles can hardly afford to have Clement out for 12 months with Tommy John surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Deamon said:

Ya, that includes targets though.  Could see both around 10 for 45 on the ground and 3 for 25 through the air. 

Jesus, I nailed Clements numbers almost exactly. He went 11 for 43 on the ground and 3 for 26 through the air.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So.

We saw this backfield in action, and it was more or less as expected - split carries, both backs equally (if not fantastically) efficient on the ground, both backs getting similar pass targets, Clement used near the stripe (somewhat expected) and more efficient with receptions (somewhat not expected).

What do we think this means going forward? Similar approach? Does Clement coming off a snap count change anything? Do the Eagles still pursue a Shady/DJ/Bell type deal or do you think they saw both Smallwood and Clement gave juuuust enough of a run game to help set up their pass offense?

Didn’t see the game so interested in how both guys passed your eye test.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

So.

We saw this backfield in action, and it was more or less as expected - split carries, both backs equally (if not fantastically) efficient on the ground, both backs getting similar pass targets, Clement used near the stripe (somewhat expected) and more efficient with receptions (somewhat not expected).

What do we think this means going forward? Similar approach? Does Clement coming off a snap count change anything? Do the Eagles still pursue a Shady/DJ/Bell type deal or do you think they saw both Smallwood and Clement gave juuuust enough of a run game to help set up their pass offense?

Didn’t see the game so interested in how both guys passed your eye test.

Tough to fully say. 

The chances of them getting a Shady/DJ/Bell I'd put at 25%.  So I don't think that's going to happen. 

I think what those 2 gave can be enough.  Especially once you get Sproles back.  I think he'll also be used quite a bit.  Seems like they're content rolling with those three.

Going forward, I think Clement takes over slowly, with the possibility of it being not so slowly.  Everything depends on that injury.  If everyone is 100% healthy, my stab in the dark guess for carries would be:  Clement 60%, Sproles 20%, Smallwood 20%. 

Going forward I think Clement is a cautious buy.  Sproles a buy in very deep leagues (esp PPR), and Smallwood might be a hold.  I'd say Smallwood a sell, but not sure he gave enough points today to really get anything back for him of value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started Clement because I had no choice due to injuries. I am happy with the results especially because he was clearly being eased back in. He seemed to come through without any problems and now has some extra time off before the next game. Last night Smallwood was the clear lead back but Clement was more effective. Let's face it the Eagles almost always use a committee anyways so there is never going to be a bell cow back unless they get Bell or something. I do think that the carry load going forward will flip after today with Clement overtaking Smallwood to get more carries and snaps but Sproles coming back will eat into some of those snaps and limit his upside. Clement will probably be a flex play type who might find his way into RB2 territory the remainder of the year as long as the Eagles don't make a trade and as long as he stays healthy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could not figure out why the coaches would put him back in knowing he had a knee injury.  Now I am thinking it wasn't the coaches that wanted to go back in knowing it could get screwed up more.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jay-ajayi-could-reportedly-make-up-to-5m-from-insurance-policy-he-took-out-on-himself/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy with that outing for Clement overall, and still believe he has the highest upside of any of the three. Figure without the pitch count he'd have 5 more touches on a normal week

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard Zach Berman (Eagles beat writer) on 97.5 - he feels it will be Clement getting the most snaps in a committee going forward.  He would have had the majority last night if he hadn't missed the last 2 weeks. 

Also the post game crew were on the Clement band wagon, particularly Seth Joyner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

So.

We saw this backfield in action, and it was more or less as expected - split carries, both backs equally (if not fantastically) efficient on the ground, both backs getting similar pass targets, Clement used near the stripe (somewhat expected) and more efficient with receptions (somewhat not expected).

What do we think this means going forward? Similar approach? Does Clement coming off a snap count change anything? Do the Eagles still pursue a Shady/DJ/Bell type deal or do you think they saw both Smallwood and Clement gave juuuust enough of a run game to help set up their pass offense?

Didn’t see the game so interested in how both guys passed your eye test.

Similar approach going forward, with some Sproles sprinkled in.

Trades are always a longshot it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aznflyer14 said:

I know I'm late to this game but I just stumbled on this article. It wouldn't be surprising if Browns decide to offload Hyde in trade.  If so, Eagles should be calling.

Not sure where the opinion that Hyde isn't working out for the Browns is coming from.  He seems to be doing OK, and giving them about what they should have expected.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.