Joe Bryant

Eagles Backfield Now? - Jay Ajayi to IR

148 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, need2know said:

Only because Doug Peterson has yet to ever really commit to one back.  A couple weeks back when clement got 19 touches was the most any phili rb had gotten in like 3 years. He should change with a rb like Johnson or Bell but who knows

This. I don’t see Philly giving anyone 20+ carries. And I don’t see them making a move. I think they’ll be fine with Smallwood and Clement. With neither being more than a flex option. 

They have a real practice today so if Clement puts in a full session then that will determine whether I burn my #3 waiver on Smallwood.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, steelwind said:

They have a real practice today so if Clement puts in a full session then that will determine whether I burn my #3 waiver on Smallwood.

I think Smallwood is a good pickup regardless of Clement's health. Neither guy will be the workhorse when healthy, and Smallwood seems to be active in the passing game for PPR purposes.

1 person likes this

This could go just like last year's Wentz injury. Set off a frenzy of speculation and (false) rumors about who the Eagles would sign/trade for.  Eagles were "Thanks, but we're good."

1 person likes this

Doesn't seem like they are making a trade. All the salary cap stuff is very prohibitive.

Guessing Clement gets 1st crack to get like 60% of the work with a lot of schemes for quick passes. Wentz will be busy.

4 minutes ago, Mystery Achiever said:

This could go just like last year's Wentz injury. Set off a frenzy of speculation and (false) rumors about who the Eagles would sign/trade for.  Eagles were "Thanks, but we're good."

Agreed. The Eagles have some issues right now after winning it all, but from an outside perspective, RB does not seem to be near the top of the list.

1 minute ago, The General said:

Doesn't seem like they are making a trade. All the salary cap stuff is very prohibitive.

Guessing Clement gets 1st crack to get like 60% of the work with a lot of schemes for quick passes. Wentz will be busy.

Clement has been nursing a quad injury.  I don't know if he is ready for Thursday.  It may be Smallwood for a bit before a time share. 

Who do the eagles have on the roster that is a bruising running back.  That is what they are missing right now.  They may need to shift to an offense that looks more like the Packers for the while - hurry up, short passes, keep the defense on the field.  Or sign a running back. 

1 minute ago, Hairy Snowman said:

Clement has been nursing a quad injury.  I don't know if he is ready for Thursday.  It may be Smallwood for a bit before a time share. 

Who do the eagles have on the roster that is a bruising running back.  That is what they are missing right now.  They may need to shift to an offense that looks more like the Packers for the while - hurry up, short passes, keep the defense on the field.  Or sign a running back. 

Gillisbie (sp?) is a free agent. I've heard his name mentioned as a possibility

1 minute ago, Hairy Snowman said:

I'm watching the Eagles fans on here for any solid info but it just doesn't sound like there's a strong indicator in any direction so I'm just guessing. Def don't know their roster that well but I'd guess they don't really have much on practice squad and there's just garbage out there to sign.

Think it's a pipe dream that they'd make some big trade but who knows.

If Clement practices full today he'll be really expensive to get but he doesn't really have a good track record. I'm tempted to stay away from this whole situation and save my FABB for down the road but I have other options and Ajayi was just another guy on my roster.

1 person likes this

Only my opinion, but it seems Clement was hurt more severely than we understood at first - which would explain his poor performance when he got the chance initially.  I still think he’s the guy now that Ajayi is out - when he's healthy enough.  Until then, it’s Smallwood.  But when Clement is ready, I do believe he’s the guy to own.  He’s certainly talented enough.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Just my opinion, but I think people may be overvaluing Clement based on his great Super Bowl performance. Foles obviously had a great Super Bowl, too.

Numbers clearly don't always tell the story, but here are Clement's and Smallwood's career stats. Both obviously on a small sample size.

Clement: 19 games, 101 carries, 433 yards, 4.3 YPC; 18 receptions, 197 yards, 10.9 YPR

Smallwood: 26 games, 149 carries, 636 yards, 4.3 YPC; 29 receptions, 254 yards, 8.8 YPR

One non-numerical aspect, of course, is that Clement was slated for a big role this year, while Smallwood was seemingly on the roster bubble.  Fast forward to today, perhaps things have changed and Smallwood is back in good graces - who knows.

I guess we can only guess until both are healthy - and then you have Sproles in the mix potentially as well.

Edited by zamboni
2 people like this

1 hour ago, The General said:

I'm watching the Eagles fans on here for any solid info but it just doesn't sound like there's a strong indicator in any direction so I'm just guessing. Def don't know their roster that well but I'd guess they don't really have much on practice squad and there's just garbage out there to sign.

Think it's a pipe dream that they'd make some big trade but who knows.

If Clement practices full today he'll be really expensive to get but he doesn't really have a good track record. I'm tempted to stay away from this whole situation and save my FABB for down the road but I have other options and Ajayi was just another guy on my roster.

Yup I'm passing for my squad

As a Clement owner, I am tempted to sell and see what I can get. I think I can get 2 2nd Round Rookie Picks for him.  Player wise I don't think I can get much.  I also own Bell.  IF IF IF Bell goes to PHI, Clement then would become nothing. Do you roll the dice and deal Clement or stash him (picked him off waivers before week 1) 

Repeating my comment in the Eagles Backfield thread, this could go just like last year's Wentz injury. Set off a frenzy of speculation and (false) rumors about who the Eagles would sign/trade for. Eagles were "Thanks, but we're good."

16 minutes ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Repeating my comment in the Eagles Backfield thread, this could go just like last year's Wentz injury. Set off a frenzy of speculation and (false) rumors about who the Eagles would sign/trade for. Eagles were "Thanks, but we're good."

yes. just like last year... except for that whole "this injury actually occurred a month before the trade deadline, not a month after" part.

5 people like this

Bell will not go to the Eagles. 90% sure he won't fit under their cap number given current roster.  Maybe something very creative, but I don't think so.    

3 minutes ago, strong said:

yes. just like last year... except for that whole "this injury actually occurred a month before the trade deadline, not a month after" part.

Fair point. Still would apply to free agent if anyone decent was on their couch.

Posted (edited)

WIVB Buffalo's Josh Reed reports the Eagles have "reached out" to the Bills about acquiring LeSean McCoy.

This move would make a lot of sense. In the middle of a rebuild, the Bills do not need to pay a 30-year-old running back for the next two seasons, but it makes a lot of sense for an Eagles squad which is in the middle of their championship window and just lost Jay Ajayi for the season. McCoy did not leave Philly on the best terms way back in 2015, but Chip Kelly is long gone. Although it could take him some time to settle in, McCoy's fantasy value would get a big boost if he was traded to the Eagles...or really anywhere else. Oct 9 - 12:31 PM

Source: Josh Reed on Twitter

Think I'm retracting my waiver bid for Smallwood.  They obviously are going for a RB to carry the load over Clement and Smallwood.  Tells you what they feel about the situation.  And you know what?  This actually makes sense.

Edited by steelwind

1 minute ago, steelwind said:

WIVB Buffalo's Josh Reed reports the Eagles have "reached out" to the Bills about acquiring LeSean McCoy.

Source: Josh Reed on Twitter

Think I'm retracting my waiver bid for Smallwood.  They obviously are going for a RB to carry the load over Clement and Smallwood.  Tells you what they feel about the situation.

I'd believe it more coming from Eric Moulds.

2 people like this

13 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

How would Bell mess up their cap for next year?  He can only be signed for 2018'

Bell would undoubtedly cost a draft pick(s).  With a big contract for Wentz looming, giving away a high pick for Bell will hurt them in their ability to assemble cheap talent around (presumably) one of the highest paid players in the game. 

If Wentz is who the Eagles think he is....he'll have multiple windows to win; as long as they don't break the bank on other players until they absolutely need to. 

Bell, to me, is a guy who'd be better suited going to a good contending team who is coming to the end of a run for a franchise QB.....a team maybe like GB, BAL or PIT.

1 minute ago, Thunderlips said:

Bell would undoubtedly cost a draft pick(s).  With a big contract for Wentz looming, giving away a high pick for Bell will hurt them in their ability to assemble cheap talent around (presumably) one of the highest paid players in the game. 

If Wentz is who the Eagles think he is....he'll have multiple windows to win; as long as they don't break the bank on other players until they absolutely need to. 

Bell, to me, is a guy who'd be better suited going to a good contending team who is coming to the end of a run for a franchise QB.....a team maybe like GB, BAL or PIT.

Although he may suit up this year for the Steelers unless something unexpected happens I think the they have given up on the notion of signing Bell long-term.

Philly might want to wait on giving Wentz a huge contract after that injury so far ...hes looked ok... Might be David Carr 2.0 

People pulling back on their bids for Smallwood and Clement, what if they dont trade for McCoy? Anything can happen, but this is a stretch still. Clement and Smallwood are both capable for what the Eagles do and McCoy has a lot of baggage to put it mildly.

4 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

People pulling back on their bids for Smallwood and Clement, what if they dont trade for McCoy? Anything can happen, but this is a stretch still. Clement and Smallwood are both capable for what the Eagles do and McCoy has a lot of baggage to put it mildly.

Plus the Eagles have a week 9 bye, so I'd suspect McCoy (or any other RB they may trade for) won't be fully relied on until week 10.

Posted (edited)

Mike Groh On the running back situation

Groh opened by talking about losing Jay Ajayi. He admitted that Ajayi was a big part of what they’ve done and it’s an injury that will impact the team. Specifically he pointed to Ajayi’s physicality missing from the field, but touted the guys they have.

He did point out though that Wendell Smallwood has “done a really nice job in the playing time he’s gotten” and the coaches are pleased with his production thus far this season. Smallwood, along with Corey Clement and Darren Sproles once they get back, is enough for the team to be happy with the guys they have on roster.

Clement is one of the guys Groh thinks could be a featured back for the team, and said he’s close to being 100% again. Groh pointed out Clement having some of Ajayi’s physicality when he runs, plus “he’s an outstanding receiver out of the backfield”.

Later on he was asked about Ajayi coming in mid-season last year, and whether they’ll have the time to bring in someone after Thursday’s game and get them acclimated. Groh admitted there’s a learning curve for any player you bring in during the season, but Duce Staley is an outstanding teacher and could get someone ready again, just like he did with Ajayi.

<snip>

Wentz continued to talk about Wendell Smallwood stepping up over the last two games, and Corey Clement coming back will be big for them. He also touched on Josh Adams having to have an increased role as well.

The quarterback said he still feels like they have a stable of workhorses there, but it’s tough losing Jay. Wentz would agree that it’ll be more of a running back by committee approach, but he also pointed out that’s kind of been their strategy all along, even with Ajayi.

Edited by Amused to Death
2 people like this

6 hours ago, The General said:

They have plenty of cap space after restructuring Cox's contract, but even with that I don't see them making any kind of major splash for a RB.  Smallwood will be the early down back, Clement the passing back.  They will probably sign someone for depth. 

2 hours ago, oswizzle said:

Philly might want to wait on giving Wentz a huge contract after that injury so far ...hes looked ok... Might be David Carr 2.0 

Wentz has looked fine in his games back, have you been watching the games  The only issue is the line has been playing horrible and not giving him much time. 

2 minutes ago, chapie1968 said:

They have plenty of cap space after restructuring Cox's contract, but even with that I don't see them making any kind of major splash for a RB.  Smallwood will be the early down back, Clement the passing back.  They will probably sign someone for depth. 

Clement is the bigger back and probably better all around.  I'd think on a weekly basis it'll be Clement that gets the bulk of the work, including goal line.  But regardless, this will be a 3-way committee.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, steelwind said:

Per BGN:

Four players were full participants: Derek Barnett, Corey Clement, Sidney Jones, and Jason Peters. Seems like we’ll see Barnett and Clement return to action this week.

3 hours ago, oswizzle said:

His O-Line has been playing like the one Carr played behind. 

8 hours ago, oswizzle said:

David Carr had a MVP like season at some point? Geez, that one got by me.  Lol.  Clueless. 

Edited by JuniorNB

10 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Would you guys drop Ron Jones to go after part of this RBBC?

I would hold off on that as the Philly backfield is still too fluid ... potentially bring in another RB to share with Sproles, Clement, Smallwood and even Josh Adams?  Why would you want to drop somebody who is moving up for a smaller part of pie?  5 RB's splitting 35 touches a game?  Even at 30-40% share = 10-14 touches...  

I lost Ajayi (my RB2 behind Kamara) and made an offer (K Cole) for McCoy on Monday and it was countered & accepted (gave up Watkins - my WR5) so I am holding off on any more activity. Our league BB Waivers run today at 3 pm so maybe we have more news before then...

1 person likes this

On 10/9/2018 at 8:09 AM, BearsFan4Life said:

As a Clement owner, I am tempted to sell and see what I can get. I think I can get 2 2nd Round Rookie Picks for him.  Player wise I don't think I can get much.  I also own Bell.  IF IF IF Bell goes to PHI, Clement then would become nothing. Do you roll the dice and deal Clement or stash him (picked him off waivers before week 1) 

I drafted Clement with a last round flyer in my RB-hungry PPR league, knowing that Ajayi is injury prone and was already experiencing back issues. Dropped to pick up Lindsay early, which I'm happy about, but losing Fournette until potentially WK10 has left me really thin at RB in general, and definitely need to manage bye weeks.

Was able to scoop up Clement with a waiver pick -- didn't actually expect to get him given my priority.

I am thinking of dealing him to an RB needy squad (did I mention we're an RB-heavy league and waiver options are very few and far between) to help bolster my WR squad for a mid-tier guy with upside, like a Funchess, Brown, Fuller type of guy hoping that need and perceived potential is there. I may more realistically target guys like Shepard or Boyd.

Would be great to get thoughts on trade-offs between leveraging Clement as depth knowing his cap, or flipping him as well. To your point, I think flipping him right now might be the better play, and this week where it's mostly expectations/conjecture out there on how this backfield will shape up.

2 people like this

Ok.... QUALIFIER:  I am not saying this is 100% reliable, but a "somewhat connected $$ season ticket fan" in Philly says they are going for Arz RB David Johnson in a late pick & Corey Clement trade.  He did not have any more details but he did says this was being discussed as "potential" as part of Roseman's homework on negotiations on a  "pass catching RB". 

DJ signed a 3 year $39M deal last month ($30M guaranteed)... ..this would be in line with the cap moves. 

CC is RFA in 2020.

My Take: he has been aware of moves before, but this is more specific than he normally reveals (to me anyway), so I think it has some traction.....If only to reduce the cost of Bell is a possibility too. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I drafted Clement with a last round flyer in my RB-hungry PPR league, knowing that Ajayi is injury prone and was already experiencing back issues. Dropped to pick up Lindsay early, which I'm happy about, but losing Fournette until potentially WK10 has left me really thin at RB in general, and definitely need to manage bye weeks.

Was able to scoop up Clement with a waiver pick -- didn't actually expect to get him given my priority.

I am thinking of dealing him to an RB needy squad (did I mention we're an RB-heavy league and waiver options are very few and far between) to help bolster my WR squad for a mid-tier guy with upside, like a Funchess, Brown, Fuller type of guy hoping that need and perceived potential is there. I may more realistically target guys like Shepard or Boyd.

Would be great to get thoughts on trade-offs between leveraging Clement as depth knowing his cap, or flipping him as well. To your point, I think flipping him right now might be the better play, and this week where it's mostly expectations/conjecture out there on how this backfield will shape up.

I guess the question is will you play Clement IF he's a low end RB2/Flex level player. 

If they don't pick anyone up--Smallwood will get touches, Sproles will likely infringe on passing downs, they may try to get the rookie some touches.  They could still trade. 

Unless you need the RB depth, I lean towards trading him.

I'm in a 0.5 PPR IDP league.  30 man rosters, keep 15 players.  Start RB/RB/Flex among others. 

I can't get Clement, but I did get Smallwood.  I'm shopping Smallwood.  I may trade him for a 4.  Obviously, he's a bit below Clement.  But, I don't know that Clement has way more value either given the committee cluster it could be.

1 hour ago, Birdie048 said:

Ok.... QUALIFIER:  I am not saying this is 100% reliable, but a "somewhat connected $$ season ticket fan" in Philly says they are going for Arz RB David Johnson in a late pick & Corey Clement trade.  He did not have any more details but he did says this was being discussed as "potential" as part of Roseman's homework on negotiations on a  "pass catching RB". 

DJ signed a 3 year $39M deal last month ($30M guaranteed)... ..this would be in line with the cap moves. 

CC is RFA in 2020.

My Take: he has been aware of moves before, but this is more specific than he normally reveals (to me anyway), so I think it has some traction.....If only to reduce the cost of Bell is a possibility too. 

Interesting -- thanks for sharing!

How does this move the stock for DJ? Have to think that DJ explodes behind a top-rank O-line.

And for Clement, would assume AZ might be an RBBC if that happens, but Chase Edmonds/TJ Logan seem like less of a threat than Smallwood/Sproles.

1 person likes this

Not buying DJ to Philly for a single second. Obviously if he lands there its a bump for sure and gives him his value he should have as an elite player, give him a few week to learn his plays, but he is not going to be traded.

1 hour ago, tackle for loss said:

Not buying DJ to Philly for a single second. Obviously if he lands there its a bump for sure and gives him his value he should have as an elite player, give him a few week to learn his plays, but he is not going to be traded.

I have no problem with the skepticism but what is your reason against DJ to Philly?    

• His contract is not an issue ($39M for 3 years)

• His age is not an issue (26)

• There is a need in Philly (how many weapons are hurt... 4?)

• Arz is not “contenting” and is about to lost Fitz too so “rebuild” starts when??

• Roseman has pulled off big moves before to compete (history shows from last years efforts)

• DJ does not have the cost (pick or $) of Bell

• DJ does not have the “off-field baggage” Shady brings

All I am saying is it has merit, not that it is certain!  And if you want to take the pre-trade risk, the cost now for DJ is at all time low!  And I am trying to BUY!!

Edited by Birdie048

3 hours ago, jm192 said:

I guess the question is will you play Clement IF he's a low end RB2/Flex level player. 

If they don't pick anyone up--Smallwood will get touches, Sproles will likely infringe on passing downs, they may try to get the rookie some touches.  They could still trade. 

Unless you need the RB depth, I lean towards trading him.

I'm in a 0.5 PPR IDP league.  30 man rosters, keep 15 players.  Start RB/RB/Flex among others. 

I can't get Clement, but I did get Smallwood.  I'm shopping Smallwood.  I may trade him for a 4.  Obviously, he's a bit below Clement.  But, I don't know that Clement has way more value either given the committee cluster it could be.

Only team of 14 interested is a rebuilding team who has might give 2 2nd round rookie picks or Rams D and a pick..dynasty wise may just hold