What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Astros v Red Sox ALCS thread (1 Viewer)

Curious how much additional revenue these post season MLB teams make.

Sox winning the series in NY guarantees them at least 2 more games in Boston? (vs. HOU)

39,000 tickets ... I'll guess the avg ticket price for the ALCS to be $150 = $5,850,000 per game ... (might be a low estimate)

x2 games = $11,700,000 minimum. With more games possible in the series ....

and a World Series birth would be HUGE $$$.

Do they need to share this revenue with the league or do the owners just put it in their pockets?

If the later, gotta think the owners are giddy when the team wins a series.

Sox winning the series in NY guarantees them at least 2 more games in Boston? (vs. HOU)

39,000 tickets ... I'll guess the avg ticket price for the ALCS to be $150 = $5,850,000 per game ... (might be a low estimate)

Do they need to share this revenue with the league or do the owners just put it in their pockets?

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/1012/the-economics-of-postseason-baseball.aspx

The League
Before the players or the clubs split the post-season proceeds, Major League Baseball takes 15% of the gate receipts from the World Series and a percentage from the League Championship Series. Each year, the commissioner sets the percentage and requests approval from the Major League Executive Council.

The Players
Under the collective bargaining agreement, the players only receive revenue from the games required to be played in a series. In the divisional series, the first three games are required for one team to win a majority in a best-of-five series. In the League Championship and World Series, four wins are required for a team to win the best-of-seven series. Players receive 60% of the revenue from these games and nothing from the additional, non-required games. This keeps players from intentionally throwing games in order to increase their paychecks. They also receive 50% of the revenue from wildcard games.

All of the player funds are placed into a pool and distributed as follows:

World Series Winner: 36% of the total pool

World Series Loser: 24%

League Championship Losers: 24%

Division Series Losers: 13%

Wild Card Losers: 3%

Each participating club has a players' meeting to determine how to distribute its portion of the funds to players and staff. The agreement also calls for the league to pay into the players' pool if the above percentages don't equal the minimum amounts specified in the collective bargaining agreement. The winner of the World Series is guaranteed a minimum of $4.6 million.

The Clubs
The final 40% from the required games is split evenly between the clubs. If non-required games take place, the clubs evenly divide 100% of the gate revenue. Each hosting stadium retains any additional income that comes from concessions, parking and souvenirs.

Bossman said:

The Clubs
The final 40% from the required games is split evenly between the clubs. If non-required games take place, the clubs evenly divide 100% of the gate revenue. Each hosting stadium retains any additional income that comes from concessions, parking and souvenirs.

So HOU and BOS owners share 40% of the first 4 games here and then 100% of any extra games that need to be played.

Owners be hoping for a win in 7 games here then ....  lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Astros can sweep these last 2 series I see a lot of comparisons that could be made to the Big Red Machine 75-76. 

Tough task to do against Boston but I think it’s possible. 

Home field doesn’t matter either. They play better on the road. 

I'm a Sox fan but these Astros are the best team I have ever seen in my lifetime.  They check every box.  I just hope we can steal a game or get something positive out of Price and Mookie at this point.

I'm a Sox fan but these Astros are the best team I have ever seen in my lifetime.  They check every box.  I just hope we can steal a game or get something positive out of Price and Mookie at this point.
Reverse jinx alert ?

NREC34 said:
That cross up no call is why we need electronic strike zone 
Watching all these overturned call on the bases and bad strike calls you have to wonder of many big games have been impacted by incorrect calls.   The wrong calls on the bases have been rectified with replay but every umpire having a different strike zone and calling balls strike is ridiculous.  With a computerized zone every player would know the exact strike zone every game.

I do not blame the plate ump.  With all that gear on and the catcher in front of him, the pitcher throwing a 94 mph slider that breaks late it really is difficult to see where it went with a certainty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching all these overturned call on the bases and bad stroke calls you have to wonder of many big games have been impacted by incorrect calls.   The wrong calls on the bases have been rectified with replay but every umpire having a different strike zone and calling balls strike is ridiculous.  With a computerized zone every player would know the exact strike zone every game.

I do not blame the plate ump.  With all that gear on and the catcher in front of him, the pitcher throwing a 94 mph slider that breaks late it really is difficult to see where it went with a certainty.
To be honest, the call that got the Red Sox manager ejected was wrong too. 

But there were other bad ball/strike calls that went against the Astros and it seemed like it evened out to me. That was just one in a critical situation that unfortunately happened. 

To be honest, the call that got the Red Sox manager ejected was wrong too. 

But there were other bad ball/strike calls that went against the Astros and it seemed like it evened out to me. That was just one in a critical situation that unfortunately happened. 
I meant it happens every game..not just last night.  

Users who are viewing this thread