Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stuart Ullman

We're all Americans first.

Recommended Posts

I know this thread is probably a waste of time, but I just want to get this out there. We're all Americans first. What should unite us is our love for this country. Many of you don't like our current President and you have the right to that opinion. But don't turn your back on your fellow man. I see so many people on these boards, denigrating people for being on the other side. You call each other every name in the book, over what? Political affiliation? We can be so much better than that.

The fact of the matter is that the thing that makes this country so great in the first place, is that opposing ideas can exist. Spending every day of your life overanalyzing and criticizing everything Donald Trump does is no way to live. Again, you have the absolute right to choose how you spend your spare time. But for people to spend so much time discussing and arguing about a President they "hate" is staggering. Learn to let it go, for better or worse he's your President. He's imperfect like every other President will ever be.

The last thing you want to do, is to turn your back on your fellow American. We're all Americans first. As a Trump supporter, I don't hate, dislike, or think less of any of you if you don't support him. I respect your right as an American to feel how you want to feel. I wish that you all would share this sentiment because the precedent being set is a slippery slope. I often see people here fighting for the rights of the minorities, women, and the LGBT communities. All of which are noble causes. But don't you see the hypocrisy when you attack or paint all "Trump supporters" or all "white males" with a wide brush?

Believe me. We're all not that different. We all want happiness. We all want what's best for our loved ones. We all bleed the same blood and share existence in a miraculous time in the world. A man you don't respect is in office, but that doesn't mean you have to disrespect your fellow American. Remember, regardless of political affiliation, we're all Americans first.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bagger said:

Did you write this when Obama was President as well?

I did not. I also didn't spend much energy worrying about Barack Obama. I didn't like him as a President but I didn't lose sleep over it and I certainly didn't follow everything he did on a daily basis. I advise others to do the same regarding Trump. Your voice will be heard in 2020.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stuart Ullman said:

I did not. I also didn't spend much energy worrying about Barack Obama. I didn't like him as a President but I didn't lose sleep over it and I certainly didn't follow everything he did on a daily basis. I advise others to do the same regarding Trump. Your voice will be heard in 2020.

Well, to be fair Obama wasn't a WWF level self promoter that sought every opportunity to get in front of a camera or behind his twitter feed.   Trump seeks out the publicity.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are Americans but we are people first. Why don’t we agree to take care of the people in our country instead of cowtowing to corporations, countries, or party? Seems pretty simple to do what is best for the people. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may vote differently, but am happy your family is now engaging in the democratic process. Apathy isn't good.
Just interested, have you completed your Bachelor's and, if so, what are doing with it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a noble statement to make. Do you think the president should follow your mantra of "not disrespecting his fellow americans?"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are supporting red right now you are only American in the literal sense of the word - not in the spirit of the word.

Edited by sn0mm1s
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Don Quixote said:

I don't think our President believes that, which is part of the problem.

I think the bigger problem is that he doesn't act like it. I have very little concern for what a politician genuinely believes. I care what they do and say. For example, you could tell me that George W Bush and Karl Rove both thought gay marriage should be legal in 2004 and I wouldn't be remotely surprised, nor would I forgive them for how they used it as a wedge issue in the run-up to the 2004 election.

Trump consistently does and says things to marginalize and belittle anyone his base considers an "other," whether due to political beliefs, geography, religion, race, ethnicity, etc. And he encourage his supporters to do the same. They have shown zero concern about the fact that 100,000,000+ Americans are to various degrees unhappy with their policies and conduct; in fact they seem to relish it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being American means engaging with political issues and voicing your opinion should those issues alarm you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donald Trump is an awful human being, a terrible incarnation of a President, a gross excuse of a man, a rabidly aggressive anti-intellectual dullard and an open bigot and misogynist who offers little in the way of thoughtful policy and even less in the context of civil discourse.  To support him entails being blind to the myopic vision and puerile inanity he offers up on any given day which leads me to reasonably conclude that your judgement skills are severely lacking and therefore any notion of fruitful discussion is nonexistent.  Aint worth the time effort anymore.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GOP official on Davids: radical socialist, lesbian will be sent back to reservation

“Little Ms. Pritchett- you and your comrades stealth attack on Yoder is going to blow up in your leftist face,” Kalny wrote. “The REAL REPUBLICANS will remember what the scum DEMONRATS tried to do to Kavanaugh in November. Your radical socialist kick boxing lesbian Indian will be sent back packing to the reservation.”

Roughly 50 exclamation points followed the end of the message.

——

If it makes me un-American in your eyes to say messages like these and the people who say them are scum, I’m good with that.  I’m going to make efforts to try to keep people like that out of power, and convince others that statements like those are wrong.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stuart Ullman said:

that doesn't mean you have to disrespect your fellow American. 

tell that to the man who said John McCain was only a war hero because he was captured and he prefers people who don't get captured.  there are 100s of examples just like this of ways our current POTUS has disrespected his fellow Americans.  how can anyone support that and then go on a rant about how we should respect fellow Americans is baffling, although not surprising

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dutch said:

Donald Trump is an awful human being, a terrible incarnation of a President, a gross excuse of a man, a rabidly aggressive anti-intellectual dullard and an open bigot and misogynist who offers little in the way of thoughtful policy and even less in the context of civil discourse.  To support him entails being blind to the myopic vision and puerile inanity he offers up on any given day which leads me to reasonably conclude that your judgement skills are severely lacking and therefore any notion of fruitful discussion is nonexistent.  Aint worth the time effort anymore.

I approve of the use of the words "dullard:" and "puerile".

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I approve of the use of the words "dullard:" and "puerile".

:bowtie: I got a new Rogers Tyrannosaurus and it's teaching me all the bigly words.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

I think the bigger problem is that he doesn't act like it. I have very little concern for what a politician genuinely believes. I care what they do and say. For example, you could tell me that George W Bush and Karl Rove both thought gay marriage should be legal in 2004 and I wouldn't be remotely surprised, nor would I forgive them for how they used it as a wedge issue in the run-up to the 2004 election.

Trump consistently does and says things to marginalize and belittle anyone his base considers an "other," whether due to political beliefs, geography, religion, race, ethnicity, etc. And he encourage his supporters to do the same. They have shown zero concern about the fact that 100,000,000+ Americans are to various degrees unhappy with their policies and conduct; in fact they seem to relish it.

As is evident when anyone who doesn't agree with him is labeled "left"...he and his supporters continue to drive that wedge between the fringe base and everyone else.  It's pretty comical when a trump supporter even goes down this path.  It's like a KKK member asking "why can't we all just get along?"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ruffrodys05 said:

It's a noble statement to make. Do you think the president should follow your mantra of "not disrespecting his fellow americans?"

Yes.  Did you vote for someone that called a group of Americans "deplorables"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Women too, and their rights as fellow Americans? Or only certain rights for them? 

When I see everyone's rights being fully embraced, then I'll know we're on the same page. Until then, sure, we can still be Americans who disagree. But I'm not "ok" with Trump. It's the worst outcome in my lifetime and I'm not going to accept it without speaking out, whether that be here or elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just from last nights rally. So many easily disproven lies. So much vitriol. Gerrymandering. Mitch McConnell being Mitch McConnell. Fox is absiolutely vile in its treatment of its gfellow Americans. There's obviously some bad actors on the other side. But we get described as an unruly mob. Which side has marched with Guns and torches? We are told to respect due process while any woman opposed to Trump is met with a LOCK HER UP CHANT.  

 Keep in mind most of these hard line conservatives won't even meet with their consituents. Cruz won't debate Beto. But then they get bent when we take the game to them. 

I think a lot of the blowback is because they really REALLY don't want us to fight for our country. 

F THAT! 

 

Trump calls Democrats "unhinged" and "crazy," but not, this time, loco.

Trump is, again, making up a long, entirely fictional war-heroism story he says Sen. Richard Blumenthal uttered. Blumenthal falsely claimed to have been in Vietnam, but he never said he was in Da Nang, fought in deadly battles, or was a hero.

Trump: "They've gone wacko. They've gone so far left that they consider Pocahontas to consider a rational person. No, it's crazy. Elizabeth Warren. Oh I hope she runs."

There is a Lock Her Up chant for Dianne Feinstein.

Trump again says the Democrats, broadly, are "an angry left-wing mob."

Trump again lies that Democrats want to dismantle law enforcement and eliminate America's borders. This Miller-y line has been in his prepared text in the last week or so.

Trump touts his longtime support of Steve King, who has either promoted white nationalism or come very close. "He may be the world's most conservative human being," Trump says.

Trump, with an epic lie about Iowa Dem governor candidate Fred Hubbell, says Hubbell "wants to take away your ethanol." Also lies Hubbell wants to eliminate U.S. borders. Then lies that countries "send" their bad apples into the visa lottery, in which people enter themselves.

Trump lies that people had been waiting "44 years" to get the Veterans Choice program passed before he did it. The Choice program was passed under Obama in 2014. Trump's law makes changes to the program.

Trump nicknames Iowa Democratic congressional candidate Cindy Axne "Cindy Taxne." He says, "That was so easy."

Trump: "The new platform of the Democrat Party is to abolish ICE." That's not true. It's still a minority position in the party, opposed by the party leadership.

Trump repeats his now-regular promise to "protect Americans with pre-existing conditions." He has offered no specifics whatsoever, and his administration is arguing in court that Obamacare's pre-existing protections are unconstitutional and should be voided.

"They were ready to go to war with North Korea," Trump lies again about the Obama administration.

Trump mentions Hillary Clinton. There is another Lock Her Up chant.

Trump is railing at length about the "horrible" trade agreement with South Korea. His recent changes to the deal are so small that they don't even have to be approved by Congress.

Trump lies that the European Union was formed "in order to take advantage of us on trade." This is the greatest hits tonight, man.

Sir Alert: Trump is doing the long story, complete with Sirs, about how he got a Jerusalem embassy opened for mere hundreds of thousands rather than $1 billion or even "three or four billion." The renovations will cost at least $21 million.

Trump says the U.S. has 32,000 soldiers in South Korea, as always. It is 28,598, according to the Defense Manpower Data Center. He lies that South Korea doesn't pay the U.S.; it pays for about half the costs of the U.S. presence there.

Trump lies, "We virtually eliminated the estate tax." He simply raised the threshold at which it is paid. As always, he misleadingly suggests it is a particular burden for family farmers, almost none of whom paid it even before his changes.

This is not the most surprising news, but very few things Trump has said tonight are true.

Trump asks people to reject the Democrats' politics of anger, division, destruction, "and weakness."

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stuart Ullman said:
1 hour ago, bagger said:

Did you write this when Obama was President as well?

I did not. I also didn't spend much energy worrying about Barack Obama. I didn't like him as a President but I didn't lose sleep over it and I certainly didn't follow everything he did on a daily basis. I advise others to do the same regarding Trump. Your voice will be heard in 2020.

Actually in 3 weeks and 6 days

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Yes.  Did you vote for someone that called a group of Americans "deplorables"?

No, I did not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ruffrodys05 said:
26 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Yes.  Did you vote for someone that called a group of Americans "deplorables"?

No, I did not.

Oh snap!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG...Hillary said that one insult that ONE time.  :lmao:  

that's like pulling out Obama's 57 states when comparing with Trumps 5,000+ lies.   

Edited by urbanhack
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Yes.  Did you vote for someone that called a group of Americans "deplorables"?

telling it like it is!!!??  locker room talk!!!??  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

GOP official on Davids: radical socialist, lesbian will be sent back to reservation

“Little Ms. Pritchett- you and your comrades stealth attack on Yoder is going to blow up in your leftist face,” Kalny wrote. “The REAL REPUBLICANS will remember what the scum DEMONRATS tried to do to Kavanaugh in November. Your radical socialist kick boxing lesbian Indian will be sent back packing to the reservation.”

Roughly 50 exclamation points followed the end of the message.

——

If it makes me un-American in your eyes to say messages like these and the people who say them are scum, I’m good with that.  I’m going to make efforts to try to keep people like that out of power, and convince others that statements like those are wrong.  

Radical Socialist Kickboxing Lesbian Indian is the title of my young adult movie script ripping off the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stuart Ullman said:

I know this thread is probably a waste of time, but I just want to get this out there. We're all Americans first. What should unite us is our love for this country. Many of you don't like our current President and you have the right to that opinion. But don't turn your back on your fellow man. I see so many people on these boards, denigrating people for being on the other side. You call each other every name in the book, over what? Political affiliation? We can be so much better than that.

Actually some people feel that one side or the other is causing harm to other people and calling out the leader of said group is protecting the "fellow man".  

 

For example some Republicans believe that abortion is murder and yelling at murderers isn't a big deal.  Do you think that calling someone that you honestly feel is killing another person is such a bad thing?  There are reasons, other than what you think is political affiliation, for this fight.

 

*I don't think abortion is murder, that was just an example.

Edited by toshiba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Henry Ford said:

What about the people on this board who aren't Americans?  Are they also Americans first?

Shhh, he's on a roll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

OMG...Hillary said that one insult that ONE time.  :lmao:  

that's like pulling out Obama's 57 states when comparing with Trumps 5,000+ lies.   

It's not like she was wrong.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Yes.  Did you vote for someone that called a group of Americans "deplorables"?

Whoa! That's a stunner! 

Trump has literally called me evil for being a democrat dozens of times. Among MANY MANY other choice words. 

I think that statement has been true and that is absolutely milktoast compared to the hundreds of vile comments our President has made. 

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”

“Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Was laughing when I read the OP....I knew it would take less than one page.

No justice no peace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

OMG...Hillary said that one insult that ONE time.  :lmao:  

that's like pulling out Obama's 57 states when comparing with Trumps 5,000+ lies.   

But Trump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:
15 minutes ago, toshiba said:

Oh snap!

Yeah, that showed me.  

I don't think he was trying to show you, I just think it was funny.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Stuart Ullman I know it wasn't intentional, but one of the issues many people have with people who take many of your positions is a complete blind spot on issues of diversity/xenophobia/cultural myopia.

We're not all Americans.  I am, and I'm very proud of being an American.  But people who aren't Americans aren't just on this board, they're in our communities (documented and undocumented) and in our families and in our lives.  The failure to take into account other people is a really big problem that needs to be addressed.  Because then it seems like those people have no worth or humanity in your and the President's eyes, and I know how much your most recent incarnation on this board takes issue with that failure to treat other human beings with respect.  Your original post in this thread dismisses any of those people as non-existent.  That's a disparity between your words about yourself and about other people you may want to look at.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Whoa! That's a stunner! 

Trump has literally called me evil for being a democrat dozens of times. Among MANY MANY other choice words. 

I think that statement has been true and that is absolutely milktoast compared to the hundreds of vile comments our President has made. 

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”

“Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.

Exactly...and everyone who wasn't in that "basket" got all pissed off.  Trump doing so much worse in insulting people and its nothing.  Anything to excuse his behavior.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly it appears that ship sailed.   

We've been in a political cold war for years now and now the heat is being turned up. 2020 could be the point of boiling over. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Yes.  Did you vote for someone that called a group of Americans "deplorables"?

Yes.  But the difference between me and the MAGA-hat wearers is I voted for Hillary in spite of that mistake.  With Trumpism, the cruelty is the point.

Edited by Bruce Dickinson
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump is the bar that's been set by the people that voted for him and actively support him.  So when his "side" is complaining about anything it will always be seen through that lens..  I don't think it's particularly fair that they ask of others things they aren't willing to do themselves or demand also from Trump (the guy they voted for and actively support). "Do as I say, not as I do" wasn't very compelling when we were kids.  I don't know why the heck we'd think it compelling as adults.

Edited by The Commish
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to think that. I treat my fellow humans the way I want to be treated. But just a couple of days ago, Trump called the Democratic Party "A Party of Crime" and compared us to arsonists.How can I respect the other side when they spew this crap?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is inconceivable to me that the OP or anyone can support this President without some pretty jacked-up values, but that's really not important. I was politically active from 1968 (started canvassing for Eugene McCarthy cuz some neighbor kids got killed in 'Nam) until Barack Obama showed, by June of his first year, that he'd been inhaled by the process and proved that govt just wasn't working anymore and actually couldnt work as presently constituted. That's fortysome years and, except for that brief Obama window and about the first year of Jimmy Carter's term (i had gotten to know him personally when i covered his campaign), i have not liked nor respected the person in the White House. So you can be politically active without supporting the guy in charge is what i'm saying.

But this gaming of agendas without result is sick, just plain sick, and it is beginning to border on treason. We had as many bohunks & snowflakes when i was trying to help work political solutions as we do now, but the good of the party never came in ahead of the good of the country. I understand the history of that happening - Gingrich, media, lobbying & targeting - and it is at least 90% the inventions of the right on the path to make a minority viewpoint the abiding agenda. You won, boys, but you didnt if America loses as a result. Not that i see anything better from the left, harping & scrambling for turf mostly, but that leaves approximately half the country not only unrepresented but hostages of the process.

When there is an issue, a problem facing our country, it's OK to come in declarative of your political viewpoint and aware of the political impact of negotiations. But if your next paragraph ain't "How do we fix this?", you're simply not a patriot. I see at the bottom of the screen that there are almost 20 new replies since i began writing this. I can almost guarantee that those folk are almost entirely gameplayers and not citizens and THAT is where things have to change first.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

But Trump

After years of “ but Hillary” it’s actually quite refreshing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, badmojo1006 said:

I like to think that. I treat my fellow humans the way I want to be treated. But just a couple of days ago, Trump called the Democratic Party "A Party of Crime" and compared us to arsonists.How can I respect the other side when they spew this crap?

I can respect the other side if Trump says that stuff if the other side stands up to the leader of their party. They have not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.