Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stuart Ullman

We're all Americans first.

141 posts in this topic

@Stuart Ullman I know it wasn't intentional, but one of the issues many people have with people who take many of your positions is a complete blind spot on issues of diversity/xenophobia/cultural myopia.

We're not all Americans.  I am, and I'm very proud of being an American.  But people who aren't Americans aren't just on this board, they're in our communities (documented and undocumented) and in our families and in our lives.  The failure to take into account other people is a really big problem that needs to be addressed.  Because then it seems like those people have no worth or humanity in your and the President's eyes, and I know how much your most recent incarnation on this board takes issue with that failure to treat other human beings with respect.  Your original post in this thread dismisses any of those people as non-existent.  That's a disparity between your words about yourself and about other people you may want to look at.

6 people like this

11 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Whoa! That's a stunner! 

Trump has literally called me evil for being a democrat dozens of times. Among MANY MANY other choice words. 

I think that statement has been true and that is absolutely milktoast compared to the hundreds of vile comments our President has made. 

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”

“Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.

Exactly...and everyone who wasn't in that "basket" got all pissed off.  Trump doing so much worse in insulting people and its nothing.  Anything to excuse his behavior.

2 people like this

Sadly it appears that ship sailed.   

We've been in a political cold war for years now and now the heat is being turned up. 2020 could be the point of boiling over. 

2 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Yes.  Did you vote for someone that called a group of Americans "deplorables"?

Yes.  But the difference between me and the MAGA-hat wearers is I voted for Hillary in spite of that mistake.  With Trumpism, the cruelty is the point.

Edited by Bruce Dickinson
3 people like this

Trump is the bar that's been set by the people that voted for him and actively support him.  So when his "side" is complaining about anything it will always be seen through that lens..  I don't think it's particularly fair that they ask of others things they aren't willing to do themselves or demand also from Trump (the guy they voted for and actively support). "Do as I say, not as I do" wasn't very compelling when we were kids.  I don't know why the heck we'd think it compelling as adults.

Edited by The Commish
1 person likes this

I like to think that. I treat my fellow humans the way I want to be treated. But just a couple of days ago, Trump called the Democratic Party "A Party of Crime" and compared us to arsonists.How can I respect the other side when they spew this crap?

1 person likes this

It is inconceivable to me that the OP or anyone can support this President without some pretty jacked-up values, but that's really not important. I was politically active from 1968 (started canvassing for Eugene McCarthy cuz some neighbor kids got killed in 'Nam) until Barack Obama showed, by June of his first year, that he'd been inhaled by the process and proved that govt just wasn't working anymore and actually couldnt work as presently constituted. That's fortysome years and, except for that brief Obama window and about the first year of Jimmy Carter's term (i had gotten to know him personally when i covered his campaign), i have not liked nor respected the person in the White House. So you can be politically active without supporting the guy in charge is what i'm saying.

But this gaming of agendas without result is sick, just plain sick, and it is beginning to border on treason. We had as many bohunks & snowflakes when i was trying to help work political solutions as we do now, but the good of the party never came in ahead of the good of the country. I understand the history of that happening - Gingrich, media, lobbying & targeting - and it is at least 90% the inventions of the right on the path to make a minority viewpoint the abiding agenda. You won, boys, but you didnt if America loses as a result. Not that i see anything better from the left, harping & scrambling for turf mostly, but that leaves approximately half the country not only unrepresented but hostages of the process.

When there is an issue, a problem facing our country, it's OK to come in declarative of your political viewpoint and aware of the political impact of negotiations. But if your next paragraph ain't "How do we fix this?", you're simply not a patriot. I see at the bottom of the screen that there are almost 20 new replies since i began writing this. I can almost guarantee that those folk are almost entirely gameplayers and not citizens and THAT is where things have to change first.

Edited by wikkidpissah
4 people like this

38 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

But Trump

After years of “ but Hillary” it’s actually quite refreshing 

4 hours ago, badmojo1006 said:

I like to think that. I treat my fellow humans the way I want to be treated. But just a couple of days ago, Trump called the Democratic Party "A Party of Crime" and compared us to arsonists.How can I respect the other side when they spew this crap?

I can respect the other side if Trump says that stuff if the other side stands up to the leader of their party. They have not. 

5 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Was laughing when I read the OP....I knew it would take less than one page.

:lol:

Crazy stuff 

3 people like this

46 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Is it unamerican for me to say that “God Bless the USA” is the most annoying song ever written? 

Eh, it has its moments.  Sometimes a good rah rah type thing is appropriate.

I'm a human being first, and your nationality is the last thing on my mind if I help you up after you've fallen down.

5 people like this

Puerto Ricans are Americans, but they don't seem to be a high priority of this administration.

1 person likes this

:construction: Beware: steaming pile of dung :construction:

"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free"

:construction: All clear  :construction:

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Just interested, have you completed your Bachelor's and, if so, what are doing with it?

Me too, considering we are about the same age. Im curious to know how i compare to another in my cohort.

10 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Whoa! That's a stunner! 

Trump has literally called me evil for being a democrat dozens of times. Among MANY MANY other choice words. 

I think that statement has been true and that is absolutely milktoast compared to the hundreds of vile comments our President has made. 

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”

“Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.

Thanks for posting. Context is everything here. Citing only the "basket of deplorables" line is lazy and doesn't tell the whole story  Kinda like '"grab 'em by the #####" is lazy without the full context.

Trump: Yeah, that’s her. With the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

Bush: Whatever you want.

Trump: Grab ’em by the #####. You can do anything.

See, in this case it makes it much worse, but the context is still important. Just wanted to point that out.

9 people like this

3 minutes ago, kwille said:

Thanks for posting. Context is everything here. Citing only the "basket of deplorables" line is lazy and doesn't tell the whole story  Kinda like '"grab 'em by the #####" is lazy without the full context.

Trump: Yeah, that’s her. With the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

Bush: Whatever you want.

Trump: Grab ’em by the #####. You can do anything.

See, in this case it makes it much worse, but the context is still important. Just wanted to point that out.

Is that George Bush 41 or George Bush 43?

We are all humans first.  We are Americans by chance. 

Our nationality should have no bearing on how we treat one another as humans. 

8 people like this

Leave it to Em to misread "America first" as "Americans first".

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

I find it crazy that we live in a Jesus obsessed country, where his name is used to promote all manner of discrimination and xenophobia, when his example is the exact opposite.

Would we be able to exist free of sin, our empathy and compassion would extend beyond humanity.  Just because we are on the top of a food chain does not mean that we must shrug off the need to promote good and minimize harm in all that we do.  That goes for actual food chains and metaphorical ones.

Edited by Mr. Ham
1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Lutherman2112 said:

:construction: Beware: steaming pile of dung :construction:

"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free"

:construction: All clear  :construction:

I’ll proudly stand up......wait for it......wait a little more....:deadhorse: (cymbal crash) 

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Unless you’re a Tottenham fan. :X 

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

I do want my fellow citizens -- heck, citizens everywhere -- to live in the best place possible, with the best and most responsive government possible, with the best and most inclusive democratic systems possible, and for my fellow citizens to care about the freedoms, opportunities, care, and respect for everyone else, regardless of race, color or creed. But I have no idea how to define patriotism and whether I actually am one or not. 

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, Ruffrodys05 said:

It's a noble statement to make. Do you think the president should follow your mantra of "not disrespecting his fellow americans?"

@Stuart Ullman, do you think you could respond to this question? Ramblin Wreck responded, which I appreciated, but my question was for you.

Any thoughts on the numerous instances of disrespectful behaviour towards other americans displayed regularly by our president? Do you feel he should lead by example, seeing how he is purportedly the leader of the free world?

16 hours ago, timschochet said:

Is it unamerican for me to say that “God Bless the USA” is the most annoying song ever written

I would think that title should go to something from the "Disco era" or perhaps to a Justin Bieber song, but un-American, no.

We should go all Neil Diamond:

When it began, so tired of paying royals

Becoming unloyal, angry knaves

Concord in spring, to Yorktown through five long summers

We won the right to keep our slaves

Guns, bigass guns, shooting injuns & Nazis & snowflakes, shooting yooooooooou

Sweet Country Mine, woah-woah-woah

Somehow, freedom feels so good

'Til it unwinds, woah-woah-woah

Greed where honor one time stoo-oo-ood

Edited by wikkidpissah
1 person likes this

I saw a car today with a Trump bumper sticker and the license plate DEPLORABLE (but with some of the vowels omitted). 

42 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I saw a car today with a Trump bumper sticker and the license plate DEPLORABLE (but with some of the vowels omitted). 

They take it as a badge of honor!

On 10/10/2018 at 9:28 AM, Sabertooth said:

Well, to be fair Obama wasn't a WWF level self promoter that sought every opportunity to get in front of a camera  

Bullsh*t. 

1 person likes this

That's interesting that you equate Obama to DJT in terms of self promotion. Really interesting.

3 people like this

On 10/10/2018 at 9:12 AM, Stuart Ullman said:

I did not. I also didn't spend much energy worrying about Barack Obama. I didn't like him as a President but I didn't lose sleep over it and I certainly didn't follow everything he did on a daily basis. I advise others to do the same regarding Trump. Your voice will be heard in 2020.

:goodposting:

On 10/10/2018 at 8:58 AM, Stuart Ullman said:

I know this thread is probably a waste of time, but I just want to get this out there. We're all Americans first. What should unite us is our love for this country. Many of you don't like our current President and you have the right to that opinion. But don't turn your back on your fellow man. I see so many people on these boards, denigrating people for being on the other side. You call each other every name in the book, over what? Political affiliation? We can be so much better than that.

The fact of the matter is that the thing that makes this country so great in the first place, is that opposing ideas can exist. Spending every day of your life overanalyzing and criticizing everything Donald Trump does is no way to live. Again, you have the absolute right to choose how you spend your spare time. But for people to spend so much time discussing and arguing about a President they "hate" is staggering. Learn to let it go, for better or worse he's your President. He's imperfect like every other President will ever be.

The last thing you want to do, is to turn your back on your fellow American. We're all Americans first. As a Trump supporter, I don't hate, dislike, or think less of any of you if you don't support him. I respect your right as an American to feel how you want to feel. I wish that you all would share this sentiment because the precedent being set is a slippery slope. I often see people here fighting for the rights of the minorities, women, and the LGBT communities. All of which are noble causes. But don't you see the hypocrisy when you attack or paint all "Trump supporters" or all "white males" with a wide brush?

Believe me. We're all not that different. We all want happiness. We all want what's best for our loved ones. We all bleed the same blood and share existence in a miraculous time in the world. A man you don't respect is in office, but that doesn't mean you have to disrespect your fellow American. Remember, regardless of political affiliation, we're all Americans first.

This strikes me as a strawman.

12 hours ago, jiffy said:

Bullsh*t. 

Remember when Obama won and then just still kept having rallies so he could soak in the adulation?  Me neither.  

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Ruffrodys05 said:

That's interesting that you equate Obama to DJT in terms of self promotion. Really interesting.

I think you are spelling dishonest wrong.  

On 10/10/2018 at 8:13 AM, Bruce Dickinson said:

Yes.  But the difference between me and the MAGA-hat wearers is I voted for Hillary in spite of that mistake.  With Trumpism, the cruelty is the point.

As time goes on Hillary is being proven right with that comment.

3 people like this

She really is.  Trump winning has allowed terrible behavior to go mainstream.  Nice to see peoples’ true colors.  Like people defending Roy Moore or Kavanaugh and ridiculing victims of assault.  Nice window into their true character.  

The nerve of these deplorables. They throw it in peoples faces like it's some kind of badge of honor to be small minded and racist.

1 person likes this

54 minutes ago, Ruffrodys05 said:

The nerve of these deplorables. They throw it in peoples faces like it's some kind of badge of honor to be small minded and racist.

And then clutch their pearls when you fight back.  So dishonest.  So toxic.