What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamal Khashoggi - Journalist Killed in Saudi Consulate (2 Viewers)

Millions of jobs.  The king promised millions of American jobs.
what jobs?  they bought some weapons...complete farce...now you have the US colluding with SA and overlooking a needless horrific murder to sell some guns....the Saudi's need us >>>>>>more than we need them.    Look we can still be "friends" with SA but insist that MBS be jailed/sanctioned.   So what will stop MBS from doing the same exact thing again since he now knows the US is completely amoral and toothless?  MBS has Trump/Kushner in his pocket like Putin has Trump in his pocket.  It's all about $$$$$$ and not money for me and you...money for Jared's overpriced 666 building and Trump's real estate business.  

The entire press release was all lies and spin and written like a 5th grader.  AMERICA FIRST!!  I LOVE THE TROOPS!! IRAN SUCKS!!!  Some say Kashogi may have been a bad guy and deserved to be murdered but I don't want to get into that.  SA gives us $ and that's more important than everything...billions of US JOBS!@!  SECURITY, SAFETY...We're looking out for YOU by sanctioning this murder!

Nevermind that nearly all the Twin Tower terrorists were Saudi's we have to overlook this murder because Terrorism!

Last edited by a moderator:
So then will they just ignore it?
yes, they'll definitely do that because they know their viewers won't agree with the President's action so they'll be like the R's in congress and put their heads in the sand and pretend it never happened and wait for Trump to change the news cycle with some other blunder, racist tweet, borderline illegal/unconstitutional act....

yes, they'll definitely do that because they know their viewers won't agree with the President's action so they'll be like the R's in congress and put their heads in the sand and pretend it never happened and wait for Trump to change the news cycle with some other blunder, racist tweet, borderline illegal/unconstitutional act....
Which is apparently the stuff they don't mind defending him on

I'm sure @jon_mx and @ren hoek will be along shortly to criticize the President for this, given how even handed they are with their criticisms of political failures.
I’m sure so many of the Trump guys (and guys who are like Trump guys but hey, they don’t really like Trump)

super strong statement from Rubio    :rolleyes:    ...of course not a mention of the President, the outrageous lies in his statement or any indication of any kind of action or push back that will be taken by a CO-EQUAL BRANCH OF THE GOV'T...just a vanilla "we stand for human rights...." gutless statement with zero follow up stating the it's unacceptable, that congress will force sanctions, that they're going to call the CIA before the Senate/Congress to get more answers.  Nothing.   We clearly no longer stand for human rights...we stand for oil and gun sales first and human rights second.  Why even bother making that statement?  so he's on the record?  totally gutless weasel.   We'll get 10 other pathetic statements like this with different wording but not one of these cowards will stand up for what is right.  It's so sad.  

Marco Rubio‏Verified account @marcorubio

Our foreign policy must be about promoting our national interests. It is in our natl interest to defend human rights. HR violations lead to mass migration, help extremism flourish & often result in new governments hostile towards the U.S. because we supported their oppressors.

12:12 PM - 20 Nov 2018

super strong statement from Rubio    :rolleyes:    ...of course not a mention of the President, the outrageous lies in his statement or any indication of any kind of action or push back that will be taken by a CO-EQUAL BRANCH OF THE GOV'T...just a vanilla "we stand for human rights...." gutless statement with zero follow up stating the it's unacceptable, that congress will force sanctions, that they're going to call the CIA before the Senate/Congress to get more answers.  Nothing.   We clearly no longer stand for human rights...we stand for oil and gun sales first and human rights second.  Why even bother making that statement?  so he's on the record?  totally gutless weasel.   We'll get 10 other pathetic statements like this with different wording but not one of these cowards will stand up for what is right.  It's so sad.  

Marco Rubio‏Verified account @marcorubio

Our foreign policy must be about promoting our national interests. It is in our natl interest to defend human rights. HR violations lead to mass migration, help extremism flourish & often result in new governments hostile towards the U.S. because we supported their oppressors.

12:12 PM - 20 Nov 2018
It's amazing how bravely they stand up for abstractions

Oil will be an issue for the foreseeable future, Iran will be an issue for the foreseeable future, SA will have money for the foreseeable future so what will stop MBS from doing something like this again or even something worse?  So we, the United States of America, are over a barrel because one corrupt Prince is buddies with Jared?

Trump tried to justify it, even though he 100% knows he's guilty of ordering the murder, and he's fully backed and given MBS the green light to act with impunity.   Look, I get that Trump wanted get middle east peace and arms sales with SA and he got into bed with them but when facts and circumstances change you have to change with them....you have to stand up for something...that's what America was built on and now we're essentially whores and look the other way as long as your check clears.

Statement from Charles Lindbergh on Nazi Germany and Kristallnacht (November, 1938)

America First!

The world is a very dangerous place!

The country of U.S.S.R., as an example, is responsible for a bloody proxy war against most of Eastern Europe, trying to destabilize Poland's fragile attempt at democracy, supporting the Comintern in Romania, propping up dictators in the Ukraine (who have killed millions of their own citizens), and much more. Likewise, the Russians have killed many Americans and other innocent people throughout Europe. The Soviet Union states openly, and with great force, "Death to Capitalism!" and "Death to the Western Powers!" Russia is considered "the world's leading sponsor of Communism"

On the other hand, Nazi Germany would gladly withdraw from Czechoslovakia and Austria if the Russians would stop trying to encircle them. They would immediately provide desperately needed humanitarian assistance. Additionally, Nazi Germany has agreed to spend millions of dollars in leading the fight against Communism.

After my heavily negotiated trip to Germany last year, the Nazis agreed to spend and invest $450 million in the United States. This is a record amount of money. It will create hundreds of thousands of jobs, tremendous economic development, and much additional wealth for the United States. Of the $450 million, $110 million, will be spent on the purchase of military equipment from Boeing, Lockheed, Douglas Aircraft and many other great U.S. defense contractors. If we foolishly cancel these contracts, Britain and France would be the enormous beneficiaries - and very happy to acquire all of this newfound business. It would be a wonderful gift to them directly from the United States!

The crimes against the Jews On November 8 were terrible,  and ones that our country does not condone. Indeed, we have taken strong action against those already known to have participated in the murders. After great independent research, we now know many details of this horrible crime. We have already sanctioned 17 Germans known to have been involved in the murder of individual Jews, and the disposal of their bodies.

Representatives of Nazi Germany say that the Jews are "enemies of the state" and deserve to be punished,  but my decision is in no way based on that – this is an unacceptable and horrible crime. Adolf Hitler and Hermann Goering vigorously deny any knowledge of the planning or execution of Kristallnacht. Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the Fuhrer had knowledge of this tragic event – maybe he did and maybe he didn't! 

That being said, we may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder of these Jews. In any case, our relationship is with the nation of Germany. They have been a great ally in our very important fight against the Soviet Union. The United States intends to remain a steadfast partner of Germany to ensure the interests of our country, western Europe and all other partners in the region. It is our paramount goal to fully eliminate the threat of Communism throughout the world! 

I understand there are members of Congress who, for political or other reasons, would like to go in a different direction - and they are free to do so. I will consider whatever ideas are presented to me, but only if they are consistent with the absolute security and safety of America. After the United States, Germany is the largest aircraft producing nation in the world. They have worked closely with us and have been very responsive to my requests to keeping weapons prices at reasonable levels – so important for the world. As a spokesman for the Wave of the Future,  I intend to ensure that, in a very dangerous world, America is pursuing its national interests and vigorously contesting countries that wish to do us harm. Very simply it is called America First!

Rebecca Ballhaus‏Verified account @rebeccaballhaus

Trump just now: “I don’t make deals with Saudi Arabia. I don’t have money from Saudi Arabia. I have nothing to do with Saudi Arabia.” Trump in August 2015: “Saudi Arabia, I get along with all of them. They buy apartments from me. They spend $40 million, $50 million.”

12:43 PM - 20 Nov 2018

Statement from President Donald J. Trump on Standing with Saudi Arabia

King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman vigorously deny any knowledge of the planning or execution of the murder of Mr. Khashoggi. Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event – maybe he did and maybe he didn't! 

That being said, we may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder of Mr. Jamal Khashoggi.
America's new motto: Who Knows?!!

nothing can ever be proven, nothing can ever be known beyond reasonable doubt.  this is all a set up for when all of the stuff comes out on Trump, he will deny it and all of his supporters will say in unison:  Who knows?   everybody toss their hands in the air and move on to the next thing we'll never know.

Seriously?

I'm too lazy to google it myself. So, :link:  
No. It's not for real; I was trying to make a point.

But Charles Lindbergh, the original creator of the term "America First", did excuse Kristallnacht and other Nazi crimes, and did offer American economic ties with Nazi Germany as a reason not to criticize them. This is what you get when you push for nationalism and isolationism. 

No. It's not for real; I was trying to make a point.

But Charles Lindbergh, the original creator of the term "America First", did excuse Kristallnacht and other Nazi crimes, and did offer American economic ties with Nazi Germany as a reason not to criticize them. This is what you get when you push for nationalism and isolationism. 
Yeah. Making up quotes to prove a point isn't a good look.

I wanted to see how conservative sites were responding to the news but guess what? I can’t find it. It’s nowhere on Fox, it’s not on Free Republic, nowhere. 
From Twitter (a summary): "Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman rules!!  Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman WINNING. MAGA@! USA! USA!  Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman kicks ###! Clintons kiled Khashoggi! FAKE NEWS! Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman 400elevntybillion dollars!! Jobs Jobs Caravan FAKE NEWS. Winning! Rake the forest! We love Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman!!"

timschochet said:
msommer said:
Yeah. Making up quotes to prove a point isn't a good look.
It was almost exactly Trump’s statement so it should have been pretty obvious it wa satire. 
I hadn't read Trump's statement yet, so my first thought when reading your quote was "Damn, Lindbergh was much more evil than I ever thought!"

This is from a WaPo article - and it raises a good, albeit often times lost, point about this whole episode:

In effect, Trump is doing his best to help the Saudi regime get away with the murder of a U.S. resident and one of the Arab world’s most prominent writers. If the administration continues down this path, it will further destroy whatever is left of America’s moral credibility on global human rights and freedom of expression. It puts truth-seekers and journalists who dare challenge the Saudi regime and other intolerant governments in grave danger, no matter where they live. Trump’s refusal to act gives a symbolic green light to the young, power-drunk Mohammed bin Salman so he can continue his reckless exploits in Saudi Arabia and the Arab world, for possibly the next 40 to 50 years, and face zero consequences.

It is literally an attack on the press - and serves as a deterrent to others out there that might disagree with the Saudi Royal family.  IT silences voices that should be raised - and the US President plays a prominent role in silencing those voices.  We did not have to "overly punish" Saudi Arabia here - but we had to take a moral stand, and say this behavior is not acceptable, and impose some sanctions on the Kingdom.  Even the King would have understood - and a measured response could have helped the US maintain the moral authority we so often wave in front of others.  Instead, we not only do nothing, we are actively involved in the cover-up.  In criminal law parlance - we are as guilty of Khashoggi's murder as Saudi Arabia.  And, we are losing the last bastions of credibility we have in the world.  

This is from a WaPo article - and it raises a good, albeit often times lost, point about this whole episode:

In effect, Trump is doing his best to help the Saudi regime get away with the murder of a U.S. resident and one of the Arab world’s most prominent writers. If the administration continues down this path, it will further destroy whatever is left of America’s moral credibility on global human rights and freedom of expression. It puts truth-seekers and journalists who dare challenge the Saudi regime and other intolerant governments in grave danger, no matter where they live. Trump’s refusal to act gives a symbolic green light to the young, power-drunk Mohammed bin Salman so he can continue his reckless exploits in Saudi Arabia and the Arab world, for possibly the next 40 to 50 years, and face zero consequences.

It is literally an attack on the press - and serves as a deterrent to others out there that might disagree with the Saudi Royal family.  IT silences voices that should be raised - and the US President plays a prominent role in silencing those voices.  We did not have to "overly punish" Saudi Arabia here - but we had to take a moral stand, and say this behavior is not acceptable, and impose some sanctions on the Kingdom.  Even the King would have understood - and a measured response could have helped the US maintain the moral authority we so often wave in front of others.  Instead, we not only do nothing, we are actively involved in the cover-up.  In criminal law parlance - we are as guilty of Khashoggi's murder as Saudi Arabia.  And, we are losing the last bastions of credibility we have in the world.  
I couldn't disagree more. 

I couldn't disagree more. 
I understand.

But, the reality is Trump is right on part of this - we need Saudi Arabia, probably more than they need us.  We can't overplay our hand here - but that does not mean we had to capitulate here.

I think the King would have accepted some punishment here to make the story go away - a proverbial slap on the wrist, if you will.  I don't think Saudi Arabia required that Trump roll over and show his belly - but who knows what leverage they have on Trump and/or his family.  Trump's statement today went far beyond anything required of the US - as an international power.  Even with the same outcome, Trump should have kept his mouth shut.

If I were the Dems - and I was itching to investigate - I would start here, instead of Russia.  I would take a closer look at the (financial) relationship between MBS and Kushner and see if that plays a role in our foreign policy.

timschochet said:
I’m sure we’ll hear shortly from the usual sources of Corker and Flake and Paul Ryan being “gravely concerned” by this statement. “Greatly troubled”, “deeply regretful”. But of course nothing will be done. 
Maybe they'll offer "thoughts and prayers".

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 22m22 minutes ago

More

Oil prices getting lower. Great! Like a big Tax Cut for America and the World. Enjoy! $54, was just $82. Thank you to Saudi Arabia, but let’s go lower!

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 22m22 minutes ago

More

Oil prices getting lower. Great! Like a big Tax Cut for America and the World. Enjoy! $54, was just $82. Thank you to Saudi Arabia, but let’s go lower!
Didn't Trump just declare that we were the worlds great oil exporter? Wouldn't we want higher prices? I bet the oil and gas producers in the Baaken and Powder River Basins - maybe even in the Permian are all for going lower and cutting margins as well. Look for some layoffs to start in the Dakotas, Wyoming, Texas and Oklahoma. This guy is an amazing leader.

timschochet said:
I wanted to see how conservative sites were responding to the news but guess what? I can’t find it. It’s nowhere on Fox, it’s not on Free Republic, nowhere. 
The great conservative minds of FBGs havent shown up here yet either. 

Hey America! Don't forget to be thankful this holiday weekend for lower gas prices! And don't forget to thank a dead journalist for it! Don't forget to wash the blood off your hands after pumping that cheap oil into your tank.

Hey America! Don't forget to be thankful this holiday weekend for lower gas prices! And don't forget to thank a dead journalist for it! Don't forget to wash the blood off your hands after pumping that cheap oil into your tank.
maybe if we allow them to kill more journalists we can drop oil to the $40 range??  let's make it happen!

Users who are viewing this thread