What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Loser draft pick awards so far. (1 Viewer)

shadrap

Footballguy
Forurnette 

D. Henry

Larry Fitz(have him in 3 out of 6 leagues-3rd rd draft choice)

A. Cooper-kind of.

C. Hogan

I can't remember when so many 3rd & 4th round picks that are worthless right now.

I think its very obvious that its Bell and not a close 2nd seeing as how Bell is rostered by all and taken in the first round and not even on a team right now. Everyone else thats named has a team and a contract and can be safely dropped for sucking if you like, Bell cant be dropped.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its very obvious that its Bell and not a close 2nd seeing as how Bell is rostered by all and taken in the first round and not even on a team right now. Everyone else thats named has a team and a contract and can be safely dropped for sucking if you like, Bell cant be dropped.
Agreed:

-1) Lev Bell

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-2) Pick'em

He didn't go in the first round in most of my drafts (we draft as close to opening week as possible).  I think Bell has done what everyone expected coming into the season.  I don't see how him holding out (as expected going into week 1) is a disappointment based on expectations.  Drafting him was a known risk.  You had decide if the risk was worth the reward and when you would be willing to pull the trigger.  This played out as expected so far.

Not trying to offend, but DJ has 5 TDs in 5 weeks.
How does that compare to Bell?
Of course you can't compare to Bell, but DJ has been a disappointment unless you're in a TD only league.

5 games: 74 carries, 242 yards (3.3 YPC)/15 receptions for 120 yards

Not exactly what any DJ owner signed up for, especially the receptions (and, to a lesser extent, the number of carries).

DJ is currently RB11 in my league.  Yes, he is off to a slow start, but better days are ahead.  Holdouts and injuries aside, I think the biggest duds are Drake, Henry, and Fitz.  And Collins isn't doing himself any favors.

Freeman. Terrible points when he plays. Hurt most of the year. Can’t start him. Can’t trade him. Can’t drop him

Forurnette 

D. Henry

Larry Fitz(have him in 3 out of 6 leagues-3rd rd draft choice)

A. Cooper-kind of.

C. Hogan

I can't remember when so many 3rd & 4th round picks that are worthless right now.
Happens every year.

2017 3rd/4th rounders:

Crowell
Pryor
Montgomery
L Miller
Benjamin
Marshawn
M Bryant
Crabtree
Muscle Hamster

One of the most overlooked things in fantasy football is how often vets bust.

Happens every year.

2017 3rd/4th rounders:

Crowell
Pryor
Montgomery
L Miller
Benjamin
Marshawn
M Bryant
Crabtree
Muscle Hamster
I don't see Crowell or Marshawn as being busts given their draft position. My list: Bell, Fournette, Freeman(s), Cooper, David Johnson, L Miller, Hogan, Gronk, Fitz, McKinnon, Cook, Jimmy G, Drake, Olsen, Guice, Zeke (or any Dallas player drafted), Keenum, Goodwin, Crabtree and of course Amari Cooper.

He didn't go in the first round in most of my drafts (we draft as close to opening week as possible).  I think Bell has done what everyone expected coming into the season.  I don't see how him holding out (as expected going into week 1) is a disappointment based on expectations.  Drafting him was a known risk.  You had decide if the risk was worth the reward and when you would be willing to pull the trigger.  This played out as expected so far.
It’s extremely rare for a player to hold out like this. Most people expected him to be playing by now. To say it’s played out as expected is a bit disingenuous, IMO.

The biggest loser in my mind is the entirety of fantasy football analysts.

Not a single one of them foresaw the significant scoring changes that would occur due to the new rules.  This was missed by everyone, and wildly skewed predraft rankings to be RB-heavy when it should not have been.

RB: Freeman- issues with injury, performance, workload and it cost owners a 2nd round pick. I don't see how anyone can trust him at all moving forward. He wins at a position loaded with disappointments. 

WR: Fitzgeralrd- likely was a 4th round pick and he's just been awful with no hope in sight. He looks done and that Cards offense is dreadful.

TE: T Ehas been really bad- lots of injuries so it's hard to give a bust award but right now I say Njoku. He was drafted to be a TE1 and after 5 games has 0 TDs and <200 yards. At least with injured guys, they have an excuse and with Gronk there is hope going forward.

QB: Russell Wilson- A top 3 QB in most leagues and he is dropable IMO. He isn't running and Seattle isn't throwing. 

Happens every year.

2017 3rd/4th rounders:

Crowell
Pryor
Montgomery
L Miller
Benjamin
Marshawn
M Bryant
Crabtree
Muscle Hamster

One of the most overlooked things in fantasy football is how often vets bust.
& how often we are wrong in the 1st 6 rounds of a draft.

Not a single one of them foresaw the significant scoring changes that would occur due to the new rules.  This was missed by everyone, and wildly skewed predraft rankings to be RB-heavy when it should not have been.
FWIW I factored in the rules changes but pass catching RB's benefit as well.  Also RB remains a thin position but the rules changes only served to make WR's even deeper and easier to find which is another reason to go RB heavy early. I anticipated TE's being a bigger beneficiary due to but that's not really happened.

Up until the week of kickoff he was still expected to show up to play week 1 so it doesn’t matter how late you drafted.
I'd say it mattered. He was a lock top 4 pick and usually one or two from like June until about a week before the season. When he failed to report 9 days before the opener, as he did the previous season, that's when alarm bells went off and he started to fall in drafts.  Still usually made it in round one but now late round one, and a few times into round two.

Just looking at top 5 rounds of where these players where normally drafted in my leagues:

1. Fournette-  injuries are the culprit but the results are the results and he is the run away winner for bust of the year relative to his cost. He clearly beats Bell and here is why. Bell has been on your bench all year. Fournette likely entered your lineup two weeks and gave you about 5.5 points a game PPR average.

2. Cook-see above. Like Fournette the worst kind of pick because he's been in your lineup a few weeks but at least one of those weeks he was serviceable.

3. Cooper-two weeks of help for 3 weeks of hurt is not worth his price tag

4. Derrick Henry- probably took a few weeks of 5 PPG scoring to get him out of your lineups. Lineup wrecker of the year.

5. Josh Gordon- trade and injury has put him back. On most of my teams he has never entered a lineup and that's likely similar for a lot of people so main advantage he has over a lot of these other players is he's not killed a lot of weekly lineups.

The good news I think most of these players turn it around so if you can survive and advance no harm no foul in the end. Cook and Fournette are as simple as getting healthy, which should happen. Gordon just has to get over his hamstring and acclimate, both should improve every week. Cooper to me is as simple as ironing out some issues with Carr and weekly gameplan. Henry is the one I don't see a rainbow at the end.

Good ones so far.  I'm voting for Fournette and Freeman mainly because I thought I was set at RB in my 16 team keeper league.  Jokes on me lol.

I'd say it mattered. He was a lock top 4 pick and usually one or two from like June until about a week before the season. When he failed to report 9 days before the opener, as he did the previous season, that's when alarm bells went off and he started to fall in drafts.  Still usually made it in round one but now late round one, and a few times into round two.
Well yes, if you drafted after the Monday of kickoff week it did matter. I should have been more clear.

Good ones so far.  I'm voting for Fournette and Freeman mainly because I thought I was set at RB in my 16 team keeper league.  Jokes on me lol.
isn't it amazing how you can come out of a draft and say "nice team, solid all the way around".

Not with that injury history. If you're drafting volume, don't draft an injury history. That's my approach, anyway. Fournette and Freeman both have one. Then again, it may just be the RB position as a whole. Tough shelf life. 

Are you telling me human beings are unreliable in regard to predicting the future?

kutta said:
It’s extremely rare for a player to hold out like this. Most people expected him to be playing by now. To say it’s played out as expected is a bit disingenuous, IMO.
It is very rare but this is a very rare case.  After last year and nothing changing it seemed obvious this was going to be a bad situation that held a ton of risk.  I guess I was in the minority but he was a stay away for me in all drafts (all of my drafts occurred within 10-14 days of the start of the season) as I was expecting this to get ugly.  It has played out as most of the people in my leagues expected as he was a mid to late 2nd round pick in almost all of the leagues I am in. 

I don't see this situation as a bust situation.  Players like Drake, Collins, Cooper who are in lineups and not performing are what I consider "loser" picks.  The Bell situation was bad from the start but you aren't playing him and he isn't hurting you other than the lost draft capital.  Plus if you were smart you would have cuffed Conner to hedge against a holdout and that has turned out pretty well. 

D Cook had to have been drafted as a RB1, right? bum (own him). and at least up to this point J Howard (own him). L Fitz already mentioned (own him). Okay now i'm just listing my team. OBJ would have been on this list if not for the good week last week. Was not playing like a WR1 through week 4, though not sure i would put that on him (own him).

Gally said:
I would have to say that Drake is the overwhelming favorite for non-injury biggest disappointment.  His usage is so bad there isn't even hope.
At least he's playing. Most people took Fournette in the first and he's a no show through what looks like 9 weeks. 

I think that's your winner right there so far.

At least he's playing. Most people took Fournette in the first and he's a no show through what looks like 9 weeks. 

I think that's your winner right there so far.
The bold is what makes Drake much worse.  He hurts you during your matchup.

Fournette has always had a history of missing games.  Was it really unexpected?  It sucks for sure and hurts your team, but you know he is out so you aren't playing him and it isn't hurting your team during a game.  You can have someone else in the lineup.  The loss is draft capital only. 

A guy like Drake was drafted to be a starter on your team and you have played him every week expecting things to get better and then he puts up 3 carries and 5 yds.  That hurts a lot more than a guy ruled out that you know you can't play. 

The answer really depends on how you define a "loser pick".  To me injuries are part of the game and if it happens to a player I picked it sucks but it doesn't mean my pick was necessarily bad at the time.   Where a guy that is used completely differently than expected or underperforming very badly is a much worse pick because you were just wrong in your evaluation. 

Fournette

Baldwin

Drake ( I avoided like the plague because I thought this would happen).

Collins (I bought a ton of Collins stock because LOL BUCK ALLEN DON'T MATTER)

Fitzgerald

Henry

Marquis Goodwin--took him in virtually every league.  Don't have him on many/any rosters now.

In my league (.5PPR redraft), here is the order of the first 20 RB's taken, and their current ranking:

Gurley - 1 - as expected

Zeke - 6 - NFL's rushing leader and 5.2YPC, no way he is a bust

Bell - N/A - certainly qualifies as a loser draft pick, but not a bust

DJ - 11 - has only had one single-digit game, and is trending up, not a bust IMO

Barkley - 4 - can't be a bust if your ranking is higher than your draft pick

Kamara - 2 - has kept pace with Gurley thus far

Hunt - 9 - his fantasy #'s are very similar to DJ's, just a tad better

McCaffrey - 13 - already had his bye, has been very good so far

Fournette - 73 - as someone already said, he is worse than Bell, as owners have started him twice

Gordon - 3 - yeah, I know, he shoulda been drafted about 4 RB's ago, running at 4.6YPC

Cook - 59 - you know who is RB58 in my league?  Latavius Murray!

D. Freeman - 70 - it's pretty sad when Devonta has half as many points as Devontae

Howard - 37 - I remember hearing he would lead the league in yards and TD's

Drake - 25 - the coaching staff is the bust here, he needs the ball to be effective

Mixon - 21 - workhorse when healthy, not a bust

Collins - 26 - he is his own worst enemy, but not a complete bust, because he has reached double digits 3 times

McKinnon - N/A - I guess we'll see how "busty" he is in 2019

McCoy - 50 - 1 game in double digits, active 4 times, a true bust to this point

R. Freeman - 27 - you can blame Lindsay for his low ranking, because he has been good and needs more

Miller - 38 - quite pedestrian

So, of the top 10 drafted, only Fournette and Bell make the list for me.  Six of the top 10 RB's selected are ranked in the top 10, with DJ at 11 and CMC at 13 (and already had his bye).

RB's 11 thru 20 are where the bulk of the busts come from.  Did you notice that none of these guys are in the top 20?

As for WR's, there are alot fewer busts IMO.  Tops on this list, by a country mile, is Fitz.  He has been active all 5 weeks, and was a top 20 WR pick for sure.  Many owners likely started him every week, and he is currently WR77 in my league.  At least Baldwin has been inactive.

As for WRs, Keenan Allen has to be on the list.  Was a top 5 or 6 WR pick in most leagues, and in my 1/2 PPR league, he's WR26.  Has scored 50.5 less points than WR1 in my league, which is Adam Thielen.  He's getting decent volume, but his YPC is pretty low, and he's ceding red zone looks to the TEs, Mike Williams and the RBs.  He should rebound, but it looks like he will fall well short of his draft position.

tangfoot said:

I feel like fantasy analysts in general are super-reactionary.

Weekly rankings for example, if a guy has a big game, he shoots up in the rankings for the next week. Vice versa after a bad game. Now of course, there are times when someone is breaking out or breaking down and there is a good reason for the moves. But I feel like far too often that's not the case and rankers are just chasing last week's points, so to speak.

Chris Hogan in the 3rd round of a 14-teamer (38th). Panicked because I got sniped and I hadn't mocked much, picked him ahead of Golden Tate, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Jarvis Landry and Brandin Cooks.

Fantasy analysts are awful and rarely correct when they are not stating the obvious. Heaven for bid you say something to them on twitter about their bad predictions. Like thanks for telling me to start Aaron Rodgers this week against SF, where would I have been without you analysts? Analysts are mostly there for some who need validation and to feel confident on a start and sit when they are on the fence for.

Man In The Box said:
Baldwin 
He is mine...and I sat there with he and JuJu in my radar leading up to my pick.  Time for me to pick and I totally forget JuJu and as soon as I had taken Baldwin I regretted it. It hasn’t gotten any better.

zamboni said:
He seems to be improving a bit with Rosen, but I'd say DJ is a huge disappointment so far compared to expectations. Especially considering his modest use in the passing game.
I'm going to disagree with this... DJ is currently RB10 in PPR.  Just because he's not blowing up on a weekly basis doesn't mean he was a super disappointment if he's still getting RB1 numbers.

Bell is a season killer if you didn't handcuff. 8 weeks of lost production and you can't drop him for someone else.

Baldwin was a an injury risk so was depreciated into the 4th round. The risk hasn't paid off yet but that was baked into his draft position. So he's not really a bust.

Fitz is a huge bust for me - he was projected to have 100 receptions regardless of who was QB. He's been playing so people had him in lineups but clearly wasn't 100% and has just killed teams so far this year.

Crowder/Goodwin were hyped and projected really high by FBG and both have been unstartable. 

How about Gronkowski?  He has been mildly disappointing so far.  And since you could have taken Kelce and Ertz a round or two later, makes it hurt worse.
Kelce was not going 2 rounds later than Gronk in competitive leagues.    He went 2 picks later in my main $ draft. 

For me personally - Goodwin and Henry. Everyone and their mother were high on Goodwin. Henry was a keeper in the 9th so not a huge investment but ffs I have had him and Murray when he flopped after his good year in TN. No more Titans RBs!

I was locked in on Fitz in the 3rd. Had him the last two years. Thank god someone reached for him.

Hogan was a keeper I had high hopes for and ended up trading him for Landry at the draft so that worked out alright. 

Think we all expected a lot more from R Freeman and thought he may need a few weeks to completely supplant Booker then this Lindsay kid blows up. 

Cooper I avoided like the plague. Amazes me that he keeps getting drafted so high. 

Fournette I have in the subscriber contest. I was back and forth between him and Gordon. Wrong choice was made obviously. If I had to pick one for worst pick of draft it would be him. Can’t start him, can’t trade him, can’t drop him. 

There are more but that’s off the top of my head. 

Users who are viewing this thread