What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blacks Support Trump (2 Viewers)

I must have missed it when CNN was making fun of Common and other black people who were visiting Obama. 
Did you miss it when Hannity did?  FTR, I don't know why either of those dudes would invite an entertainer to the White House but don't think either should be ridiculed for it.  I don't care about what entertainers or celebrities think about politics - which is why I don't care what Trump thinks.

It is way more important to know what Jay-Z and Beyonce think about all this.  
Presidents have been having celebs in the WH since Al Jolsen, so yeah not a big deal. It's certainly not thread-worthy. However some people are under the impression that a wave of black voters follow West around and do whatever he says politically no matter how crazy. I mean what kind of celebrity has ever had that kind of following?

But actually the Shawn Carter / Beyonce Knowles thing is an interesting comp. They weren't there with Obama because they were influential black celebs, they were there because they were mega fundraisers. When does West start contributing and fundraising for Trump? I'm guessing never.

Last edited by a moderator:
The black people I come in contact with around Detroit really do not have the negativity that is displayed here about Trump.  I have to attend some Chamber of Commerce events in the city and I said it before they don`t talk about the things talked about here.  It is more upbeat and positive that unemployment is down and more people are working.  I know for a fact Detroit police force which is probably 75% black like Trump.

Sorry..did not mean to post anything positive.

I live in a city that's 50% black and encounter people from all walks of life, not just two notoriously right-leaning groups. Everyone here hates his guts and thinks he's a bigoted, misogynistic POS fraud. On a regular basis I see minorities and women stare daggers at dip#### tourists wearing MAGA hats to the point that many of them take them off their heads in shame. Like I said, there's a reason that guy brought his "message" to an Apple Store in Georgetown.

I wouldn't be surprised if the black community would want to swing somewhere else , what have the Dems done for them in ...well, ever?
There's a lot of complicated answers to this question, and we could get into it some other time if you really want.  There were some good, detailed discussions of this issue in the "before" times. 

But here's a simple one that applies in 2018: they oppose a racist birther president who was twice busted by the DOJ for racist rental policies and who called for torturing and executing innocent 14 year old poor black kids but demands due process and a presumption of innocence for privileged 53 year old white guys who aren't even on trial.

I live in a city that's 50% black and encounter people from all walks of life, not just two notoriously right-leaning groups. Everyone here hates his guts and thinks he's a bigoted, misogynistic POS fraud. On a regular basis I see minorities and women stare daggers at dip#### tourists wearing MAGA hats to the point that many of them take them off their heads in shame. Like I said, there's a reason that guy brought his "message" to an Apple Store in Georgetown.
I am not saying all blacks like Trump, they don`t sing his praises around here but there is really no bashing like what goes on in this forum.  More of just  trying to better their life's anyway possible and improve the city thought process. If you want to work in Metro-Detroit now you are working. Everywhere you go there are help wanted signs.  That is where the focus is. 

He's an artist.  Apple is one of his big sources of money.  It's not unusual or strange at all.  And what does race have to do with Apple?  

I wouldn't be surprised if the black community would want to swing somewhere else , what have the Dems done for them in ...well, ever?
There's LOTS of people that for a while now (READ: before Trump) that would want to vote for something other than the two options available but we aren't anywhere close to that happening.  But I guarantee you that today, black voters aren't walking away from the Dems to vote for Trump, just not happening.

I am not saying all blacks like Trump, they don`t sing his praises around here but there is really no bashing like what goes on in this forum.  More of just  trying to better their life's anyway possible and improve the city thought process. If you want to work in Metro-Detroit now you are working. Everywhere you go there are help wanted signs.  That is where the focus is. 
I think the "average" person doesn't even vote - they don't care.  I think the "average" voter doesn't even pay attention and just votes how they always have.  People look at this forum and others like it and at cable news shows and make really bad assumptions about the "average" American.  Sometimes I envy them not paying attention to all of this crap.

What did West do that was funny?  Be black and visit a Republican President?  
He claimed he needed to free a murderer serving six consecutive life sentences because he's that guy in an alternate universe. Seriously. He actually said that.

I'm happy to admit I have zero idea how black consumers view West. No real idea, though I'm under the impression they have been turning him off. I came across this article from May, but in general my impression is he's been saying stuff for a while that hasn't been received well. His music also has taken a dive, but again out of my league on that topic.

I think the "average" person doesn't even vote - they don't care.  I think the "average" voter doesn't even pay attention and just votes how they always have.  People look at this forum and others like it and at cable news shows and make really bad assumptions about the "average" American.  Sometimes I envy them not paying attention to all of this crap.
I agree it is tough to get a good read on things here.  This PSF is basically maybe 30-40 regulars? Out of those 90% have hated Trump from day 1.   I don`t like Trump either but he does not have any impact on my being nor do I think about him 24-7.

I just try to treat people good in my day to day life and for the most part that is how people treat me.

He's an artist.  Apple is one of his big sources of money.  It's not unusual or strange at all.  And what does race have to do with Apple?  
Huh? What the heck does that have to do with anything?

Anyway, it was kind of a joke- Apple stores are famously beloved by white people and the same goes for Georgetown, so it was just too perfect.  But it also kind of wasn't a joke. The idea behind this thread is that Kanye is at the forefront of black people coming into the Trump camp, but when he had the option he chose not to take that message to a large black community face to face, which means it's probably not true.

Huh? What the heck does that have to do with anything?

Anyway, it was kind of a joke- Apple stores are famously beloved by white people and the same goes for Georgetown, so it was just too perfect.  But it also kind of wasn't a joke. The idea behind this thread is that Kanye is at the forefront of black people coming into the Trump camp, but when he had the option he chose not to take that message to a large black community face to face, which means it's probably not true.
I just don't see anything odd about him appearing at an Apple store.  He's a musician.  I also don't understand the implications around Apple being a "white people" store.  It seems to me that people of all races like Apple.

But as far as location, Georgetown, I'll defer to you on that one.

I agree it is tough to get a good read on things here.  This PSF is basically maybe 30-40 regulars? Out of those 90% have hated Trump from day 1.   I don`t like Trump either but he does not have any impact on my being nor do I think about him 24-7.

I just try to treat people good in my day to day life and for the most part that is how people treat me.
There are really only a handful of posters that dominate most topics in here.

I just don't see anything odd about him appearing at an Apple store.  He's a musician.  I also don't understand the implications around Apple being a "white people" store.  It seems to me that people of all races like Apple.

But as far as location, Georgetown, I'll defer to you on that one.
Apple stores

Also if you look down the tweet thread from the reporter that SID linked it says he wasn't there for any obvious reason:

Jack Jenkins @jackmjenkins

Apple Store employees wouldn’t comment on why Kanye was there, except one under his breath. Me: “Why was Kanye here?” Him: “Man, I think just being extra.”
Honestly I think he probably just ended up there because he was staying at the Four Seasons nearby, which is the go-to hotel for celebs in town.  It was still a pretty funny choice though. And like I said if he really wanted to bring black people into the fold he had the chance to do so and didn't take it.

As crazy as Kanye is, he’s still rather low on the list of most annoying Kardashian in-laws. 

There are really only a handful of posters that dominate most topics in here.
I think there is Trump fatigue on both sides of the aisle.  There's only so much a person can take of this stuff before they let it affect their personal life too much. 

There's LOTS of people that for a while now (READ: before Trump) that would want to vote for something other than the two options available but we aren't anywhere close to that happening.  But I guarantee you that today, black voters aren't walking away from the Dems to vote for Trump, just not happening.
No, the GOP/Trump are not going to get the majority of the black vote anytime in my lifetime, but the black vote was a key to Trump winning.  The percentage of black voting had been steadily increasing for 30 years, but sharply declined in 2016.  And those who did vote were more likely to vote GOP.   Of course much of the reversal had to do with Clinton being on the ballot instead of Obama, but Dems went from an 87-point advantage to an 80-point one.   If the GOP is going to win elections in the future, they need to keep chipping away at this.  That does not require winning the black vote, just moving towards getting 20 percent instead of 5 percent.  

No, the GOP/Trump are not going to get the majority of the black vote anytime in my lifetime, but the black vote was a key to Trump winning.  The percentage of black voting had been steadily increasing for 30 years, but sharply declined in 2016.  And those who did vote were more likely to vote GOP.   Of course much of the reversal had to do with Clinton being on the ballot instead of Obama, but Dems went from an 87-point advantage to an 80-point one.   If the GOP is going to win elections in the future, they need to keep chipping away at this.  That does not require winning the black vote, just moving towards getting 20 percent instead of 5 percent.  
I just think this stuff is interesting. Trump got 6% of the black vote in Michigan. Also 6% in Wisconsin. He got 7% in PA. 

I'm just curious what kind of change that was vs Romney and how much that affected things, but then again comparing against Obama would seem to cause a false positive anyway.

If you go back to the 2000 and 2004 elections the split was basically the same as it was in 2016. So I don't think there's much evidence that 2016 represents a trend, like you said it was likely just a reversion to the mean because Obama wasn't on the ballot bringing out folks who perhaps don't vote in every election. 

And I think what happened in 2017 in Alabama shows that Dems can still activate the African-American community for their benefit.  It almost seemed like black women in Alabama just decided they weren't gonna let Roy Moore win and that was that.

Musical genius is a weird thing. David Bowie went Nazi for a couple years in the 70s.
Wasn’t just a Bowie thing and he “didn’t go nazi”. The dress was meant to shock and offend parents and the whole WW2 generation 

Trump surrounds himself with winners, like Kanye and Jim Brown, 2 of the most successful guys in history in their respective fields, and the media hates it.

This can be a thread for news about what Trump is doing for the black community,
Sorry I know you're long gone from this much needed thread, but I just want to point out that this is the way Trump operates. Look at what happened here. Trump had West at the WH. And what as a Trump supporter is your takeaway? That Trump had a winner over and look at the media’s reaction. No discussion about what Trump is doing for black Americans. This really is a classic Trump moment, here's a black celebrity, therefore Trump will win the black vote and...? Crazy way to run a government.

Yeah. The point is noone is doing anything for them.

Like the middle class 

There's a lot of complicated answers to this question, and we could get into it some other time if you really want.  There were some good, detailed discussions of this issue in the "before" times. 

But here's a simple one that applies in 2018: they oppose a racist birther president who was twice busted by the DOJ for racist rental policies and who called for torturing and executing innocent 14 year old poor black kids but demands due process and a presumption of innocence for privileged 53 year old white guys who aren't even on trial.
You totally avoided his question to go on another rant

Cowboysfan8 said:

Like the middle class 
I think there's lots of things being done but nobody likes to focus on the good things - unfortunately, there's many people who want to use them as pawns in a political power game.

Cowboysfan8 said:

Like the middle class 
That's just not true. Just off the top of my head, here's three things that Dems did during the Obama administration, most of which the Trump administration has reversed in one way or another:

1. Efforts by the Obama administration and others to reform marijuana laws and mandatory minimum sentencing helped the African-American community tremendously. Everyone uses drugs, but the marijuana laws and mandatory minimums were tools used to imprison black people while letting white people committing similar crimes go free.  BTW the Trump administration has started to reverse course on both of these, although they thankfully haven't really followed through on their initial rhetoric on weed.

2. This has been discussed elsewhere, but Obama and many others sought to remove impediments to voting that disproportionately affected African-Americans.  Trump and his Republican friends have sought to put those barriers back up. What's going on in Georgia right now is the most obvious example of this.

3. During the Obama administration the DOJ Civil Rights division thrived, taking down stuff like Wells Fargo's discriminatory lending policies. The Trump administration has flipped the Division on its head, dedicating the office to fighting against affirmative action and protecting Christians from discrimination.

I could go on like this for days. Like I said I've done so in other threads, in the "before" times. There's fiscal policies and education policies and funding for minority small business programs and transportation policies and on and on and on.  If you're genuinely interested I can try to dig up old threads or we can start a new one.

Mike Damone said:
Wasn’t just a Bowie thing and he “didn’t go nazi”. The dress was meant to shock and offend parents and the whole WW2 generation 
Obviously I didn't mean that he turned into a full-on Nazi, but it wasn't just dress either. I googled it before posting. 

I thought this quote from him seemed particularly relevant to whatever the heck Kanye is doing right now:

“My interest in [the Nazis],” he told NME in 1993, “was the fact they supposedly came to England before the war to find the Holy Grail at Glastonbury… the idea that it was about putting Jews in concentration camps and the complete oppression of different races completely evaded my extraordinary ####ed-up nature at that particular time.”
Replace the first sentence with one of the many nonsensical Kanye quotes about why he likes Trump.  Then replace the word Jews with "Hispanic toddlers" in the second sentence.  I'd bet a large sum of money that one day Kanye will say something that closely approximates that.

If you’re trying to increase the percentage of Black Republicans, perhaps it’s not such a good idea to try and pull the voter suppression that Georgia’s GOP is blatantly attempting right now. It’s so incredibly shameless and the optics are just terrible. 

Blast from the past:

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 6 Nov 2012

Yesterday Obama campaigned with JayZ & Springsteen while Hurricane Sandy victims across NY & NJ are still decimated by Sandy. Wrong!

If you’re trying to increase the percentage of Black Republicans, perhaps it’s not such a good idea to try and pull the voter suppression that Georgia’s GOP is blatantly attempting right now. It’s so incredibly shameless and the optics are just terrible. 
It's telling that the conservatives who have posted in the Voter Suppression thread I started have focused entirely on the North Dakota thing.  Not one person is interested in defending the Georgia GOP.

Neither side is covering themselves in glory but the GOP guy is pulling out all the stops.  Veiled threats with a gun in one ad and claiming Abrams doesn't support child sex trafficking laws in another.  No matter your politics this guys seems like a grade A #####.

And to be fair I don't like the ads Abrams has been running either.  Stick to what you support and stop attacking the other guy.

Trump got 8% of the black vote in 2016 which was the most in a Presidential election since 2004.  If I were him, I'd shoot for ~12% of the black vote and be happy with that.  
Certainly this is due to Trump and not some other variable in the 2008 and 2012 Presidential elections that might have affected the African-American vote, right? ;)

I'd wager he'll come in under 10% regardless of opponent.  If the nominee is Harris or another African-American I'm guessing he'd be closer to 6-7%.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Sorry I know you're long gone from this much needed thread, but I just want to point out that this is the way Trump operates. Look at what happened here. Trump had West at the WH. And what as a Trump supporter is your takeaway? That Trump had a winner over and look at the media’s reaction. No discussion about what Trump is doing for black Americans. This really is a classic Trump moment, here's a black celebrity, therefore Trump will win the black vote and...? Crazy way to run a government.
I was personally appalled at the way the Liberal media responded to the meeting.  Kayne made multiple points (stop and frisk laws, prison reform, overseas labor issues, welfare) and instead of attacking the guys points, they attacked the guy personally.  "This is what happens when negro's don't read", "token negro", etc.  

My personal takeaway from the issues I heard him discuss (admittedly I didn't hear all of them) were:

1. I can see why he thinks "stop and frisk" laws create tensions among police and blacks but I see the utility in continuing to have them.

2. I can buy his argument that the 13th Amendment should be abolished because it allows slavery for prisoners and the judicial system is inherently racist causing a large number of blacks to be subject to "legal slavery".

3. I'm so-so on his labor issues, but I see where he's coming from.  Nike, a competitor of his is using cheap labor in China and Vietnam to produce low cost products and then sell them at high margins.  He wants to produce his shoes in the US but he claims it costs him $300 to make them so he believes that US businesses need tax breaks so they can compete with cheap foreign labor.

4. The point I absolutely agree with is his position on welfare.  He thinks that the welfare system is systemically keeping the blacks in poverty and because it's supported by Democrats, it's a way to enslave the black vote so they can continue to receive benefits.  He's wrong about the household size requirements as that part was changed, but the whole welfare State that America has become really does help keep blacks impoverished.

He's not very eloquent and his mind goes from place to place pretty easily, but rather than attack him personally, have a real legitimate debate of the issues instead of the name calling.

I was personally appalled at the way the Liberal media responded to the meeting.  Kayne made multiple points (stop and frisk laws, prison reform, overseas labor issues, welfare) and instead of attacking the guys points, they attacked the guy personally.  "This is what happens when negro's don't read", "token negro", etc.  

My personal takeaway from the issues I heard him discuss (admittedly I didn't hear all of them) were:

1. I can see why he thinks "stop and frisk" laws create tensions among police and blacks but I see the utility in continuing to have them.

2. I can buy his argument that the 13th Amendment should be abolished because it allows slavery for prisoners and the judicial system is inherently racist causing a large number of blacks to be subject to "legal slavery".

3. I'm so-so on his labor issues, but I see where he's coming from.  Nike, a competitor of his is using cheap labor in China and Vietnam to produce low cost products and then sell them at high margins.  He wants to produce his shoes in the US but he claims it costs him $300 to make them so he believes that US businesses need tax breaks so they can compete with cheap foreign labor.

4. The point I absolutely agree with is his position on welfare.  He thinks that the welfare system is systemically keeping the blacks in poverty and because it's supported by Democrats, it's a way to enslave the black vote so they can continue to receive benefits.  He's wrong about the household size requirements as that part was changed, but the whole welfare State that America has become really does help keep blacks impoverished.

He's not very eloquent and his mind goes from place to place pretty easily, but rather than attack him personally, have a real legitimate debate of the issues instead of the name calling.
He's done absolutely nothing to warrant having his political views debated seriously and responded to in kind.  As I posted yesterday, when he first decided to do this MAGA thing he hadn't even heard about the so-called "Muslim Ban." To my knowledge he still hasn't reconciled his Trump support with that, or the family separation policy, or any number of negative, controversial things Trump has done that other Trump supporters are forced to defend or distance themselves from.

If he wants to have people to listen to and respond to his policy views he can run for office. Or he can post them anonymously on a message board like this one dedicated to those discussions. Or at least show serious interest in political activism over a decent stretch of time and engage in real debate on the issues. Being a celebrity and kowtowing to politicians so thirsty for celebrity support that they gave Convention speaking slots to Scott Baio and a guy from Duck Dynasty doesn't entitle him to be taken seriously.

That said, CNN was out of bounds in crapping on him like they did, especially the mental health stuff. Not cool.

He's done absolutely nothing to warrant having his political views debated seriously and responded to in kind.  As I posted yesterday, when he first decided to do this MAGA thing he hadn't even heard about the so-called "Muslim Ban." To my knowledge he still hasn't reconciled his Trump support with that, or the family separation policy, or any number of negative, controversial things Trump has done that other Trump supporters are forced to defend or distance themselves from.

If he wants to have people to listen to and respond to his policy views he can run for office. Or he can post them anonymously on a message board like this one dedicated to those discussions. Or at least show serious interest in political activism over a decent stretch of time and engage in real debate on the issues. Being a celebrity and kowtowing to politicians so thirsty for celebrity support that they gave Convention speaking slots to Scott Baio and a guy from Duck Dynasty doesn't entitle him to be taken seriously.

That said, CNN was out of bounds in crapping on him like they did, especially the mental health stuff. Not cool.
So I understand your position, if you want people to listen and or respond to your policy views you need to run for office? 

So I understand your position, if you want people to listen and or respond to your policy views you need to run for office? 
No. In order for there to be some sort of obligation to respond to your policy views, you need to do one of the things I listed (run for office, establish yourself as a political activist who engages in such discussions, or go somewhere dedicated to discussing policy, where there's a back and forth and certain expectations of dialogue). And I'm sure there's others that haven't occurred to me. Basically, show that you've given real thought to the issues and that you're open to discussion and criticism. But I don't see that Kanye has done anything like that.

You expressed disgust with how the "liberal media" responded to Kanye. I agree with you, insofar as they insulted him and made light of his mental illness.  But you also seemed to be saying that they should have addressed his policy views. IMO he's done nothing to warrant being taken seriously in that respect.

That's just not true. Just off the top of my head, here's three things that Dems did during the Obama administration, most of which the Trump administration has reversed in one way or another:

1. Efforts by the Obama administration and others to reform marijuana laws and mandatory minimum sentencing helped the African-American community tremendously. Everyone uses drugs, but the marijuana laws and mandatory minimums were tools used to imprison black people while letting white people committing similar crimes go free.  BTW the Trump administration has started to reverse course on both of these, although they thankfully haven't really followed through on their initial rhetoric on weed.

2. This has been discussed elsewhere, but Obama and many others sought to remove impediments to voting that disproportionately affected African-Americans.  Trump and his Republican friends have sought to put those barriers back up. What's going on in Georgia right now is the most obvious example of this.

3. During the Obama administration the DOJ Civil Rights division thrived, taking down stuff like Wells Fargo's discriminatory lending policies. The Trump administration has flipped the Division on its head, dedicating the office to fighting against affirmative action and protecting Christians from discrimination.

I could go on like this for days. Like I said I've done so in other threads, in the "before" times. There's fiscal policies and education policies and funding for minority small business programs and transportation policies and on and on and on.  If you're genuinely interested I can try to dig up old threads or we can start a new one.
Healthcare, the environment, consumer protections, gay rights, higher minimum wages, labor rights, fighting for medicare, medicaid and social security? I don't think it has to targeted at black folks to be good policy for them.  

Trump talks about black unemployment but that number was above 12% when Obama took office. 

Dems never do anything for black voters is a right wing generated talking point. We know this. 

Healthcare, the environment, consumer protections, gay rights, labor rights, fighting for medicare, medicaid and social security? I don't think it has to targeted at black folks to be good policy for them.  

Trump talks about black unemployment but that number was above 12% when Obama took office. 

Dems never do anything for black voters is a right wing generated talking point. We know this. 
The environment is a particularly good example, because most people don't think of it as a race/social justice issue, but it is.  Flint is the obvious example (imagine that happening in Grosse Point).  Climate change is another example.  In the long term the regions most affected will of course be the coastal states, which are disproportionately African-American. And of course as those impacts continue to arrive, ability to cope with them will depend on financial status. Not to mention the fact that we tend to locate high-pollution industry in lower income areas in the first place, increasing their vulnerability to various health problems. It's all intertwined.

They think Kanye is an uneducated idiot with nothing of substance to offer on things like national security which is what he and Trump are allegedly discussing. They just used an old Chris Rock joke to say it. And they think he is allowing himself to be used to stir up contorversy so he can sell some more records.Personally I would have said it like I did but to each his own.
I just now listened to some of his talk - I don't know if he's an uneducated idiot but he sure sounds like a lunatic.  I was :lmao: when he starts talking about alternate Universes and Trump is nodding.  How the hell does the secret service not shut it down right there?  There's a lunatic talking to the President - shut it down.

I just now listened to some of his talk - I don't know if he's an uneducated idiot but he sure sounds like a lunatic.  I was :lmao: when he starts talking about alternate Universes and Trump is nodding.  How the hell does the secret service not shut it down right there?  There's a lunatic talking to the President - shut it down.
I couldn’t get past that as well. There’s no “liberal media” at work here. CNN didn’t attack Kanye because he is a Trump supporter. They attacked him because he sounded like a ####### lunatic and he’s at the White House! I don’t think we should be apologizing for what CNN said; they were dead on. 

And who cares that he’s against stop and frisk? Trump, unfortunately, is for it. 

He sounds like a lunatic because that is what he is.  

Users who are viewing this thread