Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NFL2DF

Blacks Support Trump

On 10/15/2018 at 7:54 AM, Snotbubbles said:

In Michigan, Democrats needed to win the inner city black vote by substantial margins to carry the State.  So when the returns came in Hillary didn't get the black turnout she need to get Michigan.  In the metro areas of Wayne, Washtenaw, Genesse and Oakland (Detroit, Ann Arbor and Flint), Hillary got ~1,002,000 votes to Trumps 652,000.  The previous election Obama got 1,193,000 to Romney's 636,000.  Hillary lost Michigan by ~10,000 votes.  

In PA, Hillary lost Northeast counties (Luzerne and Northamption) that Obama had won in the previous elections and got totally obliterated in the middle part of the State where Obama had a least respectable numbers.  She actually performed as well in Philadelphia (a notoriously pro-Democrat city) and Pittsburgh as Obama did.

Don't feel like looking at Wisconsin.  IMO, Democrats need to motivate black voters in urban areas to turnout in elections.  If they don't, they will have a difficult time winning general elections.  Economically, if things remain the same (strong economy, low black unemployment) I think it's going to be hard to motivate people to go out and vote against Trump and that doesn't mean they will vote for him, they will just not vote.

Black women vote and I think most here miss that. The black man vote is what is missing. Misogyny is real and some did not vote or voted for Trump.

Black approval of Trump at record high

Some 40 percent of black likely voters approve of the job President Donald Trump is doing, according to the daily Rasmussen poll released on Oct. 29.

The number marks a record high, the pollster noted, and shows a rapid rise in support for the president among black voters, compared to Rasmussen’s own results from a year ago.

The poll showed 29 percent support for Trump among blacks on Aug. 6, compared with 15 percent on Aug. 3, 2017.

#Blexit

Trump approval also beats Obama approval 48-45 for 10/30 of year two first term.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 10:35 AM, NFL2DF said:

Trump surrounds himself with winners, like Kanye

This can be a thread for news about what Trump is doing for the black community, blacks who support Trump, and all of the good/bad media coverage.

Also, I will go on record now and predict that Trump wins 30%+ of the black vote in 2020. 

Sorry buddy. I hope you weren't depending on Kanye's support for your enthusiastic prediction there. :lol:

10 hours ago, Leroy Green said:

This should be interesting.  Is he still crazy? 

I have no idea what you'd call the guy..crazy seems as appropriate as anything else :shrug: 

There's a pretty simple way to figure out if there's anything to this.

Has Trump visited any predominantly African-American communities since becoming President?  Has he shared any space at all with a group of African-Americans (or a majority African-American group) that hadn't been pre-screened to ensure warm feelings?

There's your answer- both to the question of whether African-Americans support Trump and the question of whether Trump cares even the slightest bit about African-Americans.

33 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

There's a pretty simple way to figure out if there's anything to this.

Has Trump visited any predominantly African-American communities since becoming President?  Has he shared any space at all with a group of African-Americans (or a majority African-American group) that hadn't been pre-screened to ensure warm feelings?

There's your answer- both to the question of whether African-Americans support Trump and the question of whether Trump cares even the slightest bit about African-Americans.

Unemployment for blacks is at an all time low under Trumps leadership. As the old political saying goes people vote with their pocket books

Just now, Gopher State said:

Unemployment for blacks is at an all time low under Trumps leadership. As the old political saying goes people vote with their pocket books

Well them I'm sure you can respond to my post with some examples of the sort of visits I mentioned instead of posting a total non-sequitur.

8 minutes ago, Gopher State said:

It's at an all time low for everyone.  This is hardly a feather in his cap.  Now, if the gap between the white unemployment rate and the black unemployment rate were to shrink, then you'd have a much better argument, but guess what........

6 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

But but but #blexit was real...and that unemployment rate thing. 

Though, while this is all well and good...it wont matter if that low rating doesn’t turn inti voter turnout against him.

I expect the number to climb. Trump will probably land in the 9-11% range on election day. 

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I expect the number to climb. Trump will probably land in the 9-11% range on election day. 

9% would not be good for Trump, considering that he only got 8% in 2016 and Bush got 11% in 2004.

Even a jump to 11% would not be much help for him, since many of the states with higher proportions of black voters are already solidly red.

17 hours ago, Max Power said:

Why do you expect the numbers will climb?

47 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

Why do you expect the numbers will climb?

I dont think he has done much in the last 2.5 years to become more racist in the minds of Black voters. If someone was ok with him in 2016, I dont think many change their minds for him in 2020.

Trump's administration is taking steps towards prison reform with 90% of the inmates released so far being black. This is helping to stabilize families in the black community.

Black employment is up. I.e. more money in black communities which will also be noticed.

I think Dems are trending the wrong way with the black vote every time they talk about illegal immigration. Illegals arent coming to this country to take jobs from middle and upper class Americans. They take working poor level jobs which affects the black communities disproportionately. 

Edited by Max Power
Eta: I see 9-11% as reasonable. Some bolder predictions fall in the 12-15% range.

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I dont think he has done much in the last 2.5 years to become more racist in the minds of Black voters. If someone was ok with him in 2016, I dont think many change their minds for him in 2020.

Trump's administration is taking steps towards prison reform with 90% of the inmates released so far being black. This is helping to stabilize families in the black community.

Black employment is up. I.e. more money in black communities which will also be noticed.

I think Dems are trending the wrong way with the black vote every time they talk about illegal immigration. Illegals arent coming to this country to take jobs from middle and upper class Americans. They take working poor level jobs which affects the black communities disproportionately. 

Other than his reaction to Charlottesville...his recent go back to where you are from statements...and trying to tout black unemployment as if its something he did?

And 9-11 would be more support than he got last time...so not only do you think he didn't do something to become worse in their eyes...you think he increased his support?

As for Prison reform...that had little to do with the administration.  It was a bipartisan effort that was ongoing before he was elected.  And McConnell had to be convinced of it and have some things added to appease conservatives.  And his nomination of Sessions as AG was something that could have sunk it (since Sessions and Cotton were the ones opposed to the first attempts dating back to the 2015 bill.

First step was a compromise that ultimately made it past Cotton's bs...and yes the administration did get some of it going...but I don't think it was much compared to the work in congress with opposition mostly from conservatives.

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/how-first-step-act-became-law-and-what-happens-next

Edited by sho nuff

I'll go ahead and throw this bit of context out there.  It seems rather obvious, but maybe not.  When unemployment is decreasing, "black unemployment" is going to decrease.  What black people are interested in seeing change is the percentage between them and white people....they want to see that gap close, as do I.  At that point they'll be impressed.

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

I'll go ahead and throw this bit of context out there.  It seems rather obvious, but maybe not.  When unemployment is decreasing, "black unemployment" is going to decrease.  What black people are interested in seeing change is the percentage between them and white people....they want to see that gap close, as do I.  At that point they'll be impressed.

Even then, there are cultural changes that will need to happen before they’re impressed by a Republican. 

17 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Other than his reaction to Charlottesville...his recent go back to where you are from statements...and trying to tout black unemployment as if its something he did?

And 9-11 would be more support than he got last time...so not only do you think he didn't do something to become worse in their eyes...you think he increased his support?

As for Prison reform...that had little to do with the administration.  It was a bipartisan effort that was ongoing before he was elected.  And McConnell had to be convinced of it and have some things added to appease conservatives.  And his nomination of Sessions as AG was something that could have sunk it (since Sessions and Cotton were the ones opposed to the first attempts dating back to the 2015 bill.

First step was a compromise that ultimately made it past Cotton's bs...and yes the administration did get some of it going...but I don't think it was much compared to the work in congress with opposition mostly from conservatives.

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/how-first-step-act-became-law-and-what-happens-next

I made my case for why I think it will go up. You can dissect all of these ideas to the core, but most voters only see the wave tops 

If more black voters are coming home to stable households with more money in their pockets, I think his % goes up. Especially when the alternative ois opening up the boarders and increasing competition for resources and jobs. 

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I made my case for why I think it will go up. You can dissect all of these ideas to the core, but most voters only see the wave tops 

If more black voters are coming home to stable households with more money in their pockets, I think his % goes up. Especially when the alternative ois opening up the boarders and increasing competition for resources and jobs. 

There's been a minor improvement in black unemployment.  All the heave lifting happened during Obama's terms.  Blacks will realize their situation is basically unchanged from pre-Trump, except now the POTUS throws twitter fits when a black athlete kneels to draw attention to cops shooting blacks, but this same POTUS cozies us to dictators from extremely restrictive countries.  Yea, Trump's been just great for blacks. 

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

While I disagree with your analysis as it pertains to black support for Trump, I think your statement here is very true as a general rule. 

47 minutes ago, Max Power said:

He just told a descendant of American slaves that she wasn't from this country and that she should go back to Africa. You don't think that will have any negative effect on any black voters?

22 minutes ago, Max Power said:

And I made my case clear why relying on this ideas aren't as they seem on the surface and people will see that.  I don't believe it will move him to gain support in that area.

And I think he has done and said plenty of things to lose support from that group.  As has been pointed out.

In addition I think Barr just handed the demoratic nominee an easy talking point about the death penalty and that will hurt Trump in 2020.

Also, no Dem candidate is for "opening up" the border.

2 hours ago, timschochet said:

Even then, there are cultural changes that will need to happen before they’re impressed by a Republican. 

I don't know what this means.  I'm only speaking of those I know and have had conversations with.  If being honest, it doesn't seem like they are thrilled with either party.  They give the impression that they really are voting from a "who's going to screw me the least" perspective and I can completely empathize with that position.

It's my personal belief that the only reason Trump's numbers would ever go up here is because they can't really go down all that much from where they sit right now.  It's the only direction they can move.

It kind of disgusts me that, for whatever reason, people believe black people are not deep thinkers or only look at superficial markers of the economy.  In my experience they are acutely aware of what's going on and very focused on sources of their problems.  

Edited by The Commish
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I don't know what this means.  I'm only speaking of those I know and have had conversations with.  If being honest, it doesn't seem like they are thrilled with either party.  They give the impression that they really are voting from a "who's going to screw me the least" perspective and I can completely empathize with that position.

What I mean is this: so long as every time  a black youth is shot by police in this country conservatives rush out to defend the police, there’s never going to be a lot of black conservatives. 

• Like 1

I don’t think that’s it. Dems run cities and police departments around the country and regularly defend PD behavior.

Obviously we have already had a shift - from GOP to Dem - so it could happen again. I don’t know if anyone can really explain it but black voters know what side the racists are on. It doesn’t mean the people in charge are racist it just means they feel and see what side the racists fall on.

Having said that Bobby Jindal won a large chunk of Orleans black voters in his re-election bid a few years back, like 30%. Extremely weak opponent and lousy turnout but still there it was. Bill Jefferson also lost to Joe Cao (R) here a few years back. Yes yes extenuating circumstance but it happened. 

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

2 hours ago, sho nuff said:

In addition I think Barr just handed the demoratic nominee an easy talking point about the death penalty and that will hurt Trump in 2020.

Last year’s polling on the death penalty showed that 52% of Independents, the segment of the population that may still be undecided and open to persuasive arguments, support the death penalty.  So probably not an issue that will move a significant number of those voters in one direction.

EDIT:  Sorry, forgot the thread topic.  Yeah, the death penalty is less popular among black respondents, but they’re not voting for Trump anyway.

Edited by Gary Coal Man

1 minute ago, Gary Coal Man said:

Last year’s polling on the death penalty showed that 52% of Independents, the segment of the population that may still be undecided and open to persuasive arguments, support the death penalty.  So probably not an issue that will move a significant number of those voters in one direction.

We are talking about black voters.  Who know that the death penalty has some major racial issues

1 minute ago, sho nuff said:

We are talking about black voters.  Who know that the death penalty has some major racial issues

Yep, I realized that as you were typing.  Look up.  

EDIT:  Or I guess look back.  Damn page break.

Edited by Gary Coal Man
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gary Coal Man said:

but they’re not voting for Trump anyway.

Not according to Trump and his ardent supporters who (pretend to) believe in #blexit.

9 minutes ago, Gary Coal Man said:

Yep, I realized that as you were typing.  Look up.  

EDIT:  Or I guess look back.  Damn page break.

Fair enough, and point taken...it was part of the counter to the claim that he would be gaining supporters that @Max Power was making.

30 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

But he is doing his best for A$AP Rocky---so he has that going for him.

I’d have to think that this stunt will end up hurting him more then helping him. First it makes him look dumb by thinking he can force a foreign government to interfere with an investigation. Second, I think the African American community will view it as an insult because the only reason he’s trying to help is because he’s famous and a celebrity is pushing him to do it.

1 hour ago, The Commish said:

It's my personal belief that the only reason Trump's numbers would ever go up here is because they can't really go down all that much from where they sit right now.  It's the only direction they can move.

It kind of disgusts me that, for whatever reason, people believe black people are not deep thinkers or only look at superficial markers of the economy.  In my experience they are acutely aware of what's going on and very focused on sources of their problems.  

I agree with all of this. Part of the reason I think some unhappy black voters will start turning to the R ticket in the future.

If Trump wasn't Trump, I'd give the R ticket 10% easy in 2020.

Dems need to win these voters back. Obama was huge for this block of voters. But Obama was not the game changer for the black community that many were hoping for. He didn't relate to all the situations black Americans deal with. The next candidate has to be someone they believe in. Many wont vote for a black candidate just because they are black anymore. 

A lot of the inner cities are a mess and poor black communities continue to be left behind. Democratic policies haven't done a lot to better these places and many are realizing it. Why not give another brand a try.

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I agree with all of this. Part of the reason I think some unhappy black voters will start turning to the R ticket in the future.

If Trump wasn't Trump, I'd give the R ticket 10% easy in 2020.

Dems need to win these voters back. Obama was huge for this block of voters. But Obama was not the game changer for the black community that many were hoping for. He didn't relate to all the situations black Americans deal with. The next candidate has to be someone they believe in. Many wont vote for a black candidate just because they are black anymore. 

A lot of the inner cities are a mess and poor black communities continue to be left behind. Democratic policies haven't done a lot to better these places and many are realizing it. Why not give another brand a try.

If you ask them, this is an easy answer....because it's obvious what the other brand is.  Again, in my experience, they feel like they are voting for who's going to screw them the least.  The "other brand" isn't the answer to that question.  :shrug: 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Commish said:

If you ask them, this is an easy answer....because it's obvious what the other brand is.  Again, in my experience, they feel like they are voting for who's going to screw them the least.  The "other brand" isn't the answer to that question.  :shrug: 

Gloomy outlook. Hopefully that outlook can be changed.

This tweet today likening impeachment to a lynching will be sure to increase Trump support among Blacks:

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 12h12 hours ago

So some day, if a Democrat becomes President and the Republicans win the House, even by a tiny margin, they can impeach the President, without due process or fairness or any legal rights. All Republicans must remember what they are witnessing here - a lynching. But we will WIN!

3 minutes ago, squistion said:

This tweet today likening impeachment to a lynching will be sure to increase Trump support among Blacks:

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 12h12 hours ago

So some day, if a Democrat becomes President and the Republicans win the House, even by a tiny margin, they can impeach the President, without due process or fairness or any legal rights. All Republicans must remember what they are witnessing here - a lynching. But we will WIN!

This has been posted in like two or three other threads.

I...

I just...