What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Gus Edwards, LAC (1 Viewer)

Baltimore makes me so nervous.  I want to start him this week but if collins is back i wouldn't be surprised if edwards only gets 10 carries

Last edited by a moderator:
Back-to-back 100-yard rushing days for the Gus Bus.   The RPO option with Lamar Jackson is very hard to defense.   If Jackson is the starter going forward (even with Flacco's return), Gus Edwards could be a potential league-winner.  

Baltimore's Upcoming schedule:   Week 13 ATL  (5th worst team vs. FF RBs), Week 14 KC (3rd worst), and Week 15 TB (7th worst).   

Those are also potent offenses, and the Ravens can use Edwards to control the clock and keep them off the field.     Atlanta gives up 5.1 yards/carry, so a 20-carry day should yield yet another 100-yard game.  Gus is in for me as my flex (benching Adrian Peterson), and starting him with Kamara and Mark Ingram. 

Gus Edwards (ankle) didn't practice on Wednesday.

Well this is an interesting development. Edwards appeared fine in last week's win over Oakland, so the Ravens may just be giving him a breather. However, if the injury is legit, it could put Baltimore in a very tough spot for Sunday's game in Atlanta. With Alex Collins (foot) also banged up, all the Ravens have behind Edwards is Ty Montgomery and Javorius Allen, neither of whom are equipped for workhorse usage. It's not time to panic yet, though this will obviously be a situation to monitor throughout the week.

I picked up Edwards in my dynasty league before the season started. I might be the only FFer who did that, LOL, but he caught my eyeball when I was scouring for undrafted RBs.

I dropped Edwards when we cut to 24, but he remained on my hot list. Unfortunately, I waited too long & didn't have a high enough waiver priority to add Edwards the week he got "noticed". I came a hair from adding Edwards once he started getting touches, but ultimately decided to wait. When to pick up somebody on your hot list is a fine line, especially if you have a good team & don't have many "open" spots.

Edwards isn't dynamic & is helped a lot by the threat Jackson brings with his legs, but he's the type of player I like to stash because he's cheap (free) & has upside. Edwards could very well get replaced next season so I'd be tempted to move him along with another asset for an upgrade.

If Edwards finishes strong, he could have some decent trade value. I'd probably want to see more before making a final decision, but that's what I'd be inclined to do with Edwards if I owned him.

Hopefully the latter, since he's had 40 touches in the last two games.    
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11284/kenneth-dixon

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec speculated Gus Edwards' ankle injury could prompt the Ravens to activate Kenneth Dixon (knee, injured reserve).

Dixon resumed practicing two weeks ago, opening a 21-day window for him to be activated off injured reserve. That did not seem likely at the time given Baltimore's glut at the position, but injuries to both Edwards and Alex Collins could prompt a move. Dixon is certainly a name to watch in deeper leagues. Nov 28 - 9:11 PM

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter

Gus returned to practice today

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1068197005871190016

Ten of 11 players who missed practice for Ravens yesterday were back practicing today. Only exception was safety Tony Jefferson (ankle). John Brown also wasn’t practicing but he seemed fine in locker room

11:36 AM · Nov 29, 2018

https://mobile.twitter.com/jamisonhensley/status/1068197548098240512

Ravens RB Gus Edwards was back at practice Thursday and wasn't hampered by an ankle injury. He should be fine to start Sunday. Edwards ran a cone drill and worked on lateral movement. He missed Wednesday's practice.

11:38 AM · Nov 29, 2018

I'm starting guys like T Boyd and A Jeffery over him in a PPR. Both those guys are risks but perhaps to a lesser degree than Edwards. 

Gus Edwards (questionable, ankle) is expected to play Week 13 against the Falcons.

This was already assumed after Edwards was upgraded to full participation at Friday's practice. Coming off back-to-back 100-yard rushing games, Edwards will be in another great spot this week playing indoors against a Falcons team that has bled yards to opposing running backs this year. With Alex Collins (foot) now on injured reserve, Ty Montgomery, Javorius Allen and Kenneth Dixon will be fighting for scraps behind Edwards.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Dec 2 - 8:10 AM

Gus Edwards (ankle) is active for Week 13 against the Falcons.

With Alex Collins (foot) on injured reserve, Edwards will have early downs to himself. He's a mid-range RB2 for the final week of the fantasy regular season.

Dec 2 - 11:32 AM

As a flex player I'm seriously considering him over Ekeler and Adams.  Ekeler has a tough matchup and Adams is MNF and questionable. 

How do you guys feel about Edwards health. Ankle OK? 

Debating whether to start at flex. Need 2 of Gus, AJ Green, and Dalvin Cook. 

Think I'm starting Gus and Lamar Jackson with Winston my other QB option. Probably leaving AJ on the bench to see how he does coming off the injury and dealing with backup QB.

Also leaving Gus on the bench in my other league where I'm starting Ware. (Other bench RBs are Lamar Miller, McCoy, Adams. Going 4 wide at WR like most weeks with AB, Tyreek, Thielen, and Cooks)

In over Coleman, drake, Mack and Martin.  

I’m surely to be wrong on one of those guys.   Hoping he gets a couple tds.  

Dixon took some touches including the TD carry.

How are we feeling with that TB matchup?

Im deciding if I even keep him or Mack rostered (Have DJ, Michel, Lindsay amd Ware).  Also have Samuels with Conner still out.

Looking to drop he or Mack to grab Williams if Ware is out.

Or drop both (or one of them and C Ridley ) to grab Samuel (Carolina).

Injuries at the wrong time with Ware and OBJ are forcing me to worry about this tonight.

Im deciding if I even keep him or Mack rostered (Have DJ, Michel, Lindsay amd Ware).  Also have Samuels with Conner still out.

Looking to drop he or Mack to grab Williams if Ware is out.

Or drop both (or one of them and C Ridley ) to grab Samuel (Carolina).

Injuries at the wrong time with Ware and OBJ are forcing me to worry about this tonight.
I would drop Edwards and Mack for Williams (priority add for you) and Samuel.

I would drop Edwards and Mack for Williams (priority add for you) and Samuel.
Dropped Ridley for Samuel.  Just feel they are so similar in upside and Ridleybis too prone to a 3 point game (and like Samuel’s matchups).

Williams available and I’m going to move for him now after waivers as he strangely went unclaimed.

I'd be wary of starting Edwards. Week 14 snaps:

Edwards - 31
Dixon - 23
Montgomery - 19

With the talk of Dixon earning a larger role, it wouldn't take much for him to outsnap Edwards.

I'm having a tough time deciding between Gus or Michel in standard.  Balt could fall behind LAC and that means Dixon time.  NE expects to lead this one vs Buff plus good match up and Sony can grind out the clock.  Thoughts?

I'm having a tough time deciding between Gus or Michel in standard.  Balt could fall behind LAC and that means Dixon time.  NE expects to lead this one vs Buff plus good match up and Sony can grind out the clock.  Thoughts?
If I had Michel I'd 100% play him over Edwards. Ceiling is much higher. Floor is probably higher as well.

If I had Michel I'd 100% play him over Edwards. Ceiling is much higher. Floor is probably higher as well.
Last 3 weeks
Michel: 17 carries, 20 carries, 13 carries (snaps: 41%, 41%, 37%)
Gus: 21 carries, 16 carries, 19 carries (51%, 44%, 43%)

They are pretty much the same.

Gus Edwards - RB -  Ravens

Gus Edwards ran 14 times for 92 yards in the Ravens' Week 16 victory over the Chargers.

Although Kenneth Dixon out-snapped Edwards in Week 15, Edwards again out-touched Dixon 15-10 on Saturday. The rookie averaged 6.6 yards per carry on the evening, taking his very first carry out of the gates up the middle for a 43-yard sprint. Now in a must-win spot against the Browns next week, Edwards will again be an enticing RB2 that projects to continue leading this backfield in carries.

Dec 23 - 12:09 AM

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Gus Edwards is "our No. 1 running back" going into the offseason.

This doesn't come as a surprise, though Harbaugh added the Ravens plan to bring in "some competition." Edwards had a strong finish to his rookie year but lacks the skill-set of a true lead back. Baltimore may look to sign a veteran to pair with Edwards this offseason.

SOURCE: Jamison Hensley on Twitter

Feb 27, 2019, 3:11 PM

I thought Baltimore might be in the Jacobs/Montgomery market but I see them definitely going with Edwards and then maybe having a vet brought in to compete and give some relief. Edwards seemed to do just fine as the lead back when given the chance, so I dont know where this "he lacks skills to be a lead back" is coming from. 

I thought Baltimore might be in the Jacobs/Montgomery market but I see them definitely going with Edwards and then maybe having a vet brought in to compete and give some relief. Edwards seemed to do just fine as the lead back when given the chance, so I dont know where this "he lacks skills to be a lead back" is coming from. 
If I owned Edwards I would definitely sell off of this news, because I'm not buying it.

Sure he did fine over a six game sample size but that had a lot to do with teams not being prepared to deal with Lamar Jackson's unique skill set and San Diego showed that's a lot easier to do the second time around. Edwards is a good solid hard runner but a team can always do better and my guess this is offseason "coach-speak".

he lacks skills to be a lead back" is coming from. 
He offers next to nothing as a receiver, with two receptions total last season.  He's fine as a grinder, but I'm not sure he's any better running between the tackles than Dixon, and Dixon can actually catch.

I actually buy Edwards going into the season as the RB1 in Baltimore. Dixon is talented, but has had major injury issues, and I don't see any reason to make a major investment at RB, given that Lamar Jackson helps the RB so much. Personally, I'd go into next year with Edwards/Dixon/Collins, but they seem to have really soured on Collins, but he can be replaced by a day 3 pick.

If I had to bet on it, I think they stay cheap at RB, and spend money on defense, and hope to continue to try to control the clock and play great defense to win.

Users who are viewing this thread