What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In the market for a self propelled push mower (1 Viewer)

STEADYMOBBIN 22

Footballguy
I need to purchase a quality self propelled push mower to cut about. 1/4 acre. Thoughts on electric mowers? Are they any good? I really like Toro as a brand if I need to go gas.

Has anyone researched mowers recently? My budget is $500

-ETA - A riding mower is out of the question because it really isn’t a big yard but more importantly they can’t fit between the single/small fence gate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to purchase a quality self propelled push mower to cut about. 1/4 acre. Thoughts on electric mowers? Are they any good? I really like Toro as a brand if I need to go gas.

-ETA - A riding mower is out of the question because it really isn’t a big yard but more importantly they can’t fit between the single/small fence gate. 
I have never had a gas mower so nothing to compare with, have an electric for a sightly bigger yard and it has been pretty good. Have a Black and Decker about 10 years old. Was def less than $500. If you go electric I'd get the biggest battery they have in your price range and not get tempted to go cheaper model.

It gets stuck (stops working for 30 seconds or so) occasionally when grass is really long and a little wet but overall has worked out just fine.

Never had it run out of charge, plug it in when finished, unplug next time and go.

My brother bought one about a year ago.  I want to say his is a greenworks?  It was normally $399 at the time (I just took a peek on Amazon, it runs $434 now) but he got it on an AmazonPrime deal for $225, he bought extra batteries for it.  He loves the hell out of it because it's quiet, it does a pretty good job, he doesn't have to get fuel/oil/filters for it, no maintenance (oil changes, stabilize the fuel, etc.) and I think he has at least 1/2 acre to cut.  He does have to stop and change out the battery and he tells me if the grass is really tall, it doesn't do well so he has to raise the deck to the highest level, cut the grass, lower it and redo it and he can do that because he has extra batteries.  He's pretty careful to cut the grass every week though.

I go over to his house a lot and, to me, his lawn looks great.  He's also switched out to ALL battery powered everything just so he doesn't have to store fuel in house or mess with maintenance.  

I'm considering it.  I find myself replacing carburetors on my lawn equipment from time to time, replacing old fuel lines, doing oil changes, etc.  I have a gas mower, gas edger, gas blower, gas trimmer, gas snow blower, gas pressure washer and a gas tree trimmer.  Honestly, right before winter, I do spend a good amount of time prepping everything for storage and it is kind of a pita. 

Not a fan of electric, I got a craftsman gas that I love.  the rear wheels are bigger than the front, makes it easier to spin. 

I bought a Kobalt electric mower this year and have been pleased with it.  Right at your $500 budget.  Getting two batteries has made it so you don't really have to worry about running out of power while you're mowing.  With the size of your yard, it shouldn't go through both batteries in a single mow.  I've had the first battery be fully charged again before I even finished mowing with the second battery, so the charger works very quickly.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-21-in-Self-Propelled-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Mower-Batteries-Included/1000309351

My brother bought one about a year ago.  I want to say his is a greenworks?  It was normally $399 at the time (I just took a peek on Amazon, it runs $434 now) but he got it on an AmazonPrime deal for $225, he bought extra batteries for it.  He loves the hell out of it because it's quiet, it does a pretty good job, he doesn't have to get fuel/oil/filters for it, no maintenance (oil changes, stabilize the fuel, etc.) and I think he has at least 1/2 acre to cut.  He does have to stop and change out the battery and he tells me if the grass is really tall, it doesn't do well so he has to raise the deck to the highest level, cut the grass, lower it and redo it and he can do that because he has extra batteries.  He's pretty careful to cut the grass every week though.

I go over to his house a lot and, to me, his lawn looks great.  He's also switched out to ALL battery powered everything just so he doesn't have to store fuel in house or mess with maintenance.  

I'm considering it.  I find myself replacing carburetors on my lawn equipment from time to time, replacing old fuel lines, doing oil changes, etc.  I have a gas mower, gas edger, gas blower, gas trimmer, gas snow blower, gas pressure washer and a gas tree trimmer.  Honestly, right before winter, I do spend a good amount of time prepping everything for storage and it is kind of a pita. 
I have found that I have a real hard time wanting to pay for what it cost to maintain a mower when I can go get another one for around $300....I know that sounds crazy and I am by no means rich, but say you take it in for a "tune up"...that's probably at least $75 bucks....or you go buy all the stuff to replace things $$$$....I would just rather put that $75 towards a new one....(and avoid the time used to fix things myself, which I suck at and need to have somebody do for me anyway)....I usually purchase Honda's and I take TERRIBLE care of them....don't change oil, or prepare for winter storage, etc....I figure if I can get 3+ years out of it and not spend any money besides gas....by the time the 3 years is up maybe I have gotten my moneys worth out of it and on to the next one...

I have found that I have a real hard time wanting to pay for what it cost to maintain a mower when I can go get another one for around $300....I know that sounds crazy and I am by no means rich, but say you take it in for a "tune up"...that's probably at least $75 bucks....or you go buy all the stuff to replace things $$$$....I would just rather put that $75 towards a new one....(and avoid the time used to fix things myself, which I suck at and need to have somebody do for me anyway)....I usually purchase Honda's and I take TERRIBLE care of them....don't change oil, or prepare for winter storage, etc....I figure if I can get 3+ years out of it and not spend any money besides gas....by the time the 3 years is up maybe I have gotten my moneys worth out of it and on to the next one...
I get a HUGE kick out fixing things myself, anything really to be honest plus it plays well to me being kind of a cheapskate.  The maintenance is kind of a drag but I figure if I go and pay a bunch of money for a Honda mower (which I did) then by God I'm going to get my money's worth.  My biggest regret is not buying a commercial grade Honda push mower.  I think I paid $500 for mine and I think the little local Honda mower shop had a commercial grade Honda push mower for $800 and I remember thinking "damn, had I known that I would have bought this one!"  I asked the guy about a trade and the dude looked over his glasses in my general direction and dryly said "we do but you'll get screwed over on your trade so sell it outright yourself or run it into the ground."  I appreciated the honesty. . . I still have my Honda and I think it's 7 or 8 years old now, I can't recall when I bought it.

FWIW, I am nearing the end of the 10th season with my Toro and it runs like a champ. Only things I do is keep the blade sharp, air filter clean, and change the oil once a season. That's it. Starts first pull and makes pretty quick work of my yard (which is not too much different in size as yours and has hills on the sides and backs up to a pond). About as easy as it gets, IMO. I believe this is the current version of the one I have.

I prefer gas to electric outdoor power equipment. Gas mowers, trimmers, chainsaws, blowers, etc is all I have ever used and I have had good results with them.

FWIW, I am nearing the end of the 10th season with my Toro and it runs like a champ. Only things I do is keep the blade sharp, air filter clean, and change the oil once a season. That's it. Starts first pull and makes pretty quick work of my yard (which is not too much different in size as yours and has hills on the sides and backs up to a pond). About as easy as it gets, IMO. I believe this is the current version of the one I have.

I prefer gas to electric outdoor power equipment. Gas mowers, trimmers, chainsaws, blowers, etc is all I have ever used and I have had good results with them.

I'll second this. :thumbup:   My Toro is going on 13 years, do all of the same above and has never let me down.

Looking to get a self-propelled myself. 

With 3/4 of an acre, electric won’t do it. Do people have specific recommendations?

I know Honda was thrown out there but which one(s)?

Also, would any suggest (or condemn) the used/Craigslist route?

Yep.

Got one similar to this except my back wheels are bigger. Bought it in 2000 as a present to myself after divorcing my first wife.

Still going strong. Just this year I had to replace the back wheels because they simply wore out. Cracked me up how much tread these things actually use over the years. 

I'm a lawn care nut.  Mow my grass 4x per week.  Two mowers... Honda HRX217 and Toro TimeMaster.

Honda... by far the best mulching mower, cut is a little "uneven"

Toro... the best looking cut; very smooth.

My recommendation would depend on your grass type and thickness. 

I bought this Greenworks one a few months ago. I have a very small yard - so for your hard I'd definitely recommend a bigger one. This one is small and would take you a long time. But otherwise, I like it very much. But its not self-propelled.

I'm a big fan of electric. But make sure you get cordless.

Get a honda gas engine.

Never buy front wheel drive.

If you have a bumpy yard get the mower with larger back wheels.   Caster wheels up front if you have to maneuver around a lot. 

Drive control get one that is easy to use.  Stay away from Toro plastic drive control.  Trust me they break easily.  

Mulch? Bag? Combo?  your choice. 

Same boat here.   I have the entire echo line.   Blower, trimmer, mower, hedge trimmer.  I think the only thing they made in this series I didnt get was the chainsaw.  

Good thread.  I'm moving from a one acre lot out in the country to a quarter acre lot in town, so I'm ditching our riding mower and researching walk-behinds.  I've read fairly positive things about Kobalt and Ego electrics and I imagine I'll go that route at some point.  

you could probably get a goat for a lot less and it will eat the grass down you will be the talk of the town and then at the end of the season bam goat kabobs take that to the bank bromigo

I get a HUGE kick out fixing things myself, anything really to be honest plus it plays well to me being kind of a cheapskate.  The maintenance is kind of a drag but I figure if I go and pay a bunch of money for a Honda mower (which I did) then by God I'm going to get my money's worth.  My biggest regret is not buying a commercial grade Honda push mower.  I think I paid $500 for mine and I think the little local Honda mower shop had a commercial grade Honda push mower for $800 and I remember thinking "damn, had I known that I would have bought this one!"  I asked the guy about a trade and the dude looked over his glasses in my general direction and dryly said "we do but you'll get screwed over on your trade so sell it outright yourself or run it into the ground."  I appreciated the honesty. . . I still have my Honda and I think it's 7 or 8 years old now, I can't recall when I bought it.
I need to revise my post.  I was curious about my mower and I looked it up and I bought my Honda self propelled mower in 2008, so it's 10 years old but I did have to replace the transmission in it about 3-4 years ago for $80, I took it to a shop to have that done.  And at that time I had the guy replace the blade, replace the throttle cable, change the oil, replace the spark plug, adjust the idle speed, replace the filter and drain the fuel and the total cost was $125 including all parts and labor.  I generally do all the winterizing myself but at that time I thought it was silly cheap and well worth it.

well i guess put up a profile on match dot com and see if you can find you a nice self propelled mower but i got to tell you there are probably not a lot of lawnmowers on most  dating sites i would just try going in to a lawn and garden store and buying one but hey brohans thats just me talkin take that to the bank bromigos 

Looking to get a self-propelled myself. 

With 3/4 of an acre, electric won’t do it. Do people have specific recommendations?

I know Honda was thrown out there but which one(s)?

Also, would any suggest (or condemn) the used/Craigslist route?
They are not that expensive new.  Bought a self propelled mulching Toro at the end of the season last year for 389 at Home Depot.  Works perfect..I neve rake leaves in the fall. Just much them up.

I think it is a Toro I got earlier this summer and spent around $400. I also fall into the bank of those who would rather not do s thing to it and just but new when it craps out. I think my last one had zero oil in it and a chunk of the engine fell off at the start of summer. 

I bought this one because it specifically said it never need an oil change. I just drop a little oil in each time and start it up. It's been great so far, we'll see how long it lasts. I got seven years out of the last one, literally maintenance free. 

About 15K square feet.  I split it up and do the front and back separately.  Usually do the front Wed&Sat, and the back Thu&Sun.
Do you live in Florida?  My grass grows like wild fire and I can't imagine mowing it that much.  I do it every five days or so and thought that was excessive. 

Nope

About 15K square feet.  I split it up and do the front and back separately.  Usually do the front Wed&Sat, and the back Thu&Sun.
Do you live in Florida?  My grass grows like wild fire and I can't imagine mowing it that much.  I do it every five days or so and thought that was excessive. 
Nope.  Michigan.  Grows like crazy because I use organic fertilizer often.  Sometimes in the extreme heat of summer it won't need 2X, but I do it anyway :D  

Good review.  That is what I like to hear-10 years-now you are talking!

good buy!

I think I’ve had my Toro mulching mower for at least 6 years now and love it.  I even seized up the engine once when it ran out of oil, but refilled and still runs like a champ.  This is my 3rd mower since buying my house and it’s 1000x better than the other two.  

you could probably get a goat for a lot less and it will eat the grass down you will be the talk of the town and then at the end of the season bam goat kabobs take that to the bank bromigo
nice to see you back in action SWC and you can take that to the disco rappin twirly bird mower blade all the way to the bankaricho brohan.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
I've been looking hard to get one soon.  My Snapper Ninja has been very good, but I like to sell while it still has value and am thinking about the Honda HRX 217.  Very highly rated mower @$599.  Especially with the 190cc Honda engine, plenty of power for thick summer grass (Central Florida).

Does anyone in here have a self-propelled mower that can fold up for easy storage?  I'm moving from a 1-acre lot in the county to a 1/2 acre lot in the city, and I'm not going to have a garage anymore.  Currently have a Cub Cadet rider that I'll be selling and plan to use that to buy a self-propelled.  Don't really have room to build a shop/garage so I plan on getting one of those small sheds to put on the side of the house and it would be great if I could find a self-propelled mower that could fold up in there to maximize the small space. 

✴️

I'm in the market as well, my current mower is 20+ years old... it still literally starts on the first pull every spring though.  ?

Users who are viewing this thread