What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Criminal Justice and Sexual Assault (1 Viewer)

We talk about how many women were raped last year, not how many men raped women. We talk about how many girls in a school district were harassed last year, not about how many boys harassed girls. We talk about how many teenage girls in the state of Vermont got pregnant last year, rather than how many boys and men impregnated teenage girls.

Even the term ‘violence against women’ is problematic…It’s a bad thing that happens to women, but when you look at that term, ‘violence against women,’ nobody is doing it to them. It just happens to them…Men aren’t even a part of it.
-Jackson Katz

Alrighty.  I think that's all of them in the U.S. that made headlines in 2018 and contained the words "rape" "sentence" and "probation" so far according to a basic google web page search.  I'll check again with a "news" search later this week.  Then after those we can start documenting the new ones or, if anyone would like, I can go back to 2017.

Obviously, the sentences that make headlines are only a small fraction of the ridiculous non-sentences that happen, and those are just of the ones that get prosecuted.

Feel good thread of the year!

Don't forget the 22 women who have accused Trump of varying acts of sexual abuse over the years, which he as much as admitted to with his "Grab 'em by the ____" remarks.  Despite them coming forward, Trump got elected.  Nobody cared.  

Henry, I respect the hell out of you, but I can't help but comment that I strongly encourage people to not take media reports on sensitive, high-profile cases as accurate reflections of what took place both factually and procedurally. As a guy who is frequently defending people charged with these types of crimes - and, in doing, getting to see the evidence and being knowledgeable of the process, sentencing guidelines, plea negotiations, etc. - the media commonly inaccurately reports both the facts, the procedural aspects of the case, and the case outcome. To be clear, I'm not suggesting these errors are intentional or malicious.  These types of criminal cases are very complicated and reporters don't have law degrees or are learned on criminal procedure. But, that said, I can firsthand say that media reports from cases such as these are oftentimes inaccurate.  A plea deal to an agg assault could be mischaracterized as a sexual assault/rape.  A victim may (understandably) make a statement alleging a specific fact but that fact isn't a part of the factual basis for what the defendant actually pled to and the reporter didn't understand that. Plus, there could be issues with a case that are never made public. There may be evidence or proof issues.  There may be real defenses. Oftentimes, the state may overcharge the case.  As such, I find it errant to suggest that all your linked articles are the gross miscarriages of justice that you and the media articles purport them to be. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Alrighty.  I think that's all of them in the U.S. that made headlines in 2018 and contained the words "rape" "sentence" and "probation" so far according to a basic google web page search.  I'll check again with a "news" search later this week.  Then after those we can start documenting the new ones or, if anyone would like, I can go back to 2017.

Obviously, the sentences that make headlines are only a small fraction of the ridiculous non-sentences that happen, and those are just of the ones that get prosecuted.
Dude. 

No I mean for every one of these stories there’s probably.....who knows how many that go unreported. Or the ones that are covered up because it would harm someone prominent in the community, harm the church, or the school, etc. The ones that are told to stay quiet because it would ruin someone’s life/marriage/job. It’s disgusting. I knew there was an issue with reporting but I had no idea there was such an issue with sentencing those found guilty. 
I strongly encourage you to not base this conclusion off a bunch of media articles. Most states have sentencing parameters that bind a judge's hands either through a conviction at trial or by way of the plea agreements.  Most of the time a sensitive, high-profile sex case is handled by a prosecutor with many years of experience and training in this particular area of criminal defense and they are not pled quickly and leniently.  Oftentimes a defendant may undergo a psychosexual analysis.  Oftentimes, even if the period of incarceration isn't terribly lengthy, the conviction will carry harsh collateral consequences and lengthy probationary periods with strict sex terms that will significantly reduce a convicted defendant's freedoms and options.  

I strongly encourage you to not base this conclusion off a bunch of media articles. Most states have sentencing parameters that bind a judge's hands either through a conviction at trial or by way of the plea agreements.  Most of the time a sensitive, high-profile sex case is handled by a prosecutor with many years of experience and training in this particular area of criminal defense and they are not pled quickly and leniently.  Oftentimes a defendant may undergo a psychosexual analysis.  Oftentimes, even if the period of incarceration isn't terribly lengthy, the conviction will carry harsh collateral consequences and lengthy probationary periods with strict sex terms that will significantly reduce a convicted defendant's freedoms and options.  
I get that you do this for a living.  If you'd like to have a lengthy debate with me on this topic I'm happy to, but I'm not sure that's where either of us wants this to go.

Yes, I understand that you may think two years' unsupervised probation is a sentence.  Many people would say it's that in name only.

If you disagree, I'm sorry that you feel that way.
I was more so referencing the disrespect you're showing for our colleagues and the judiciary. 

You don't need to be sorry for anything. I don't "feel" a particular way about anything I posted or that I said. 

I was more so referencing the disrespect you're showing for our colleagues and the judiciary. 

You don't need to be sorry for anything. I don't "feel" a particular way about anything I posted or that I said. 
If it isn't clear by now, I don't think our colleagues or the judiciary are the problem.  If you can't see that, I'm not sure how to make it clearer.  Society's actual attitudes and laws on sentencing rapists are the problem.

I get that you do this for a living.  If you'd like to have a lengthy debate with me on this topic I'm happy to, but I'm not sure that's where either of us wants this to go.
Certainly you understand the negative reaction of somebody who sees another poster make sweeping generalizations about a complicated, nuanced area of that somebody's field of expertise by merely posting non-scholarly articles and news clips in support, right? 

And, no, I don't want to debate you. While that may be entertaining over a glass of good bourbon during non-work time, I'm sure our time is presently better spent elsewhere. 

I typed "rape sentence probation" into Google. Then I started just using the articles from 2018 (other than the one from 2017 with the facebook sentence) and skipping the articles about incidents I've already posted about.

I'm on page 15 of 11.6 million results.
I have to ask: how selective are you being? I think it is a travesty that these sentences are so light, but are they anomalies, or par for the course?

I have to ask: how selective are you being? I think it is a travesty that these sentences are so light, but are they anomalies, or par for the course?
Of the articles that came up in that search dealing with sentences this year, I believe I left four or five out because they were something to the effect of "Man gets 244 years for raping a dozen children" or the like.  But the actual decision to search by "sentence probation" is extremely selective.  There are no doubt hundreds of rapists who get sentences I would consider much more appropriate every year.

If it isn't clear by now, I don't think our colleagues or the judiciary are the problem.  If you can't see that, I'm not sure how to make it clearer.  Society's actual attitudes and laws on sentencing rapists are the problem.
That certainly was not made clear by your comment, "ridiculous non-sentences" in the context of prosecuted cases. 

Do I agree with you that society needs to change its attitude towards sexual violence and misconduct towards women? Absolutely.  The recent Kavanaugh debacle demonstrates that perfectly. But, do random media articles show that somehow the prosecuted cases are grossly mishandled and that legislators have made the laws too lenient? No. 

Before two of the better posters go to war with each other over this - I practice on both sides of Domestic Violence issues.  It is both complicated and simple.  And that is the ultimately problem.  @Zow is right that there are always certainly things that reporters have no idea about, other issues that aren't put on the record and more nuance than a simple newspaper article.  But @Henry Ford is also right that we don't enough within the confines of the justice system to protect women from men.  There a myriad of reasons for it.

In my jurisdiction, more often than not a restraining order is dropped because of one main reason - money.  Far too often the imposition of the restraining order is going to have the guy lose his job.  Once he loses his job he can't pay the bills, child support or alimony.  So she has to drop it in order to protect her economic future more.  It sucks.  It's disgusting.  I've been on both sides of it.  And there isn't a much better way except for a long term effort by men in this country to teach their sons, women to stand up for the rights and keep pushing, and everyone coming to grips wit the fact that this is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Certainly you understand the negative reaction of somebody who sees another poster make sweeping generalizations about a complicated, nuanced area of that somebody's field of expertise by merely posting non-scholarly articles and news clips in support, right? 

And, no, I don't want to debate you. While that may be entertaining over a glass of good bourbon during non-work time, I'm sure our time is presently better spent elsewhere. 
There's very little I find entertaining on this subject. 

That certainly was not made clear by your comment, "ridiculous non-sentences" in the context of prosecuted cases. 

Do I agree with you that society needs to change its attitude towards sexual violence and misconduct towards women? Absolutely.  The recent Kavanaugh debacle demonstrates that perfectly. But, do random media articles show that somehow the prosecuted cases are grossly mishandled and that legislators have made the laws too lenient? No. 
Just so I'm clear, you do or do not want to debate me on this?

I wasn't referring to the subject.  I was referring to two people engaged in a civil, learned discussion over a drink.  
Sure.  A civil, relaxed discussion about rape and child molestation over a drink.  I have those all the time.

Just so I'm clear, you do or do not want to debate me on this?
I want to. I just would prefer to do so over a glass of bourbon when I'm not worried about the work that I need to complete before going home today that I'm not currently attending to. 

Before two of the better posters go to war with each other over this - I practice on both sides of Domestic Violence issues.  It is both complicated and simple.  And that is the ultimately problem.  @Zow is right that there are always certainly things that reporters have no idea about, other issues that aren't put on the record and more nuance than a simple newspaper article.  But @Henry Ford is also right that we don't enough within the confines of the justice system to protect women from men.  There a myriad of reasons for it.

In my jurisdiction, more often than not a restraining order is dropped because of one main reason - money.  Far too often the imposition of the restraining order is going to have the guy lose his job.  Once he loses his job he can't pay the bills, child support or alimony.  So she has to drop it in order to protect her economic future more.  It sucks.  It's disgusting.  I've been on both sides of it.  And there isn't a much better way except for a long term effort by men in this country to teach their sons, women to stand up for the rights and keep pushing, and everyone coming to grips wit the fact that this is a problem that needs to be fixed.
I'm not disagreeing with Henry Ford. I just would like to believe that in most cases, justice prevails. There will always be issues with the system. I agree that we have to teach sons to respect women, but that doesn't mean that they have to wait for women to make the first move. We also have to teach our daughters to report incidents right away - not 36 years later. It is too damaging to the psyche to deal with rape or attempted rape, or even a groping for long periods of time.

In short, we have been going through a period of change in sexual relations, particularly at the teenage level. It is confusing and frustrating for both sexes.

I know I would like to see a discussion here between @Henry Ford and @Zow on this. We "know" and trust them and they clearly have lots of experience in this important area.

Teacher/wrestling coach in New York pleaded guilty to two counts of rape of underage girl.

He was sentenced one week ago - ten years of probation
Apparently they arent releasing the nature of the sexual contact, but it appears they were in a relationship.  If the contact was consensual I see 10 years of probation, loss of teaching license, and registering as a sex offender as a heavy punishment.

I want to. I just would prefer to do so over a glass of bourbon when I'm not worried about the work that I need to complete before going home today that I'm currently attending to. 
Then I guess you should just drop in and throw derogatory one-word responses in, suggest I don't know what I'm talking about, claim you're not really discussing while trying to stick as much #### against the wall as possible, and then leave the thread.  We're mostly there.

Apparently they arent releasing the nature of the sexual contact, but it appears they were in a relationship.  If the contact was consensual I see 10 years of probation, loss of teaching license, and registering as a sex offender as a heavy punishment.
You cannot have a consensual sexual relationship with a minor.

Henry - I read through most of your posts but don't have time to read all the links.  Just to make sure I'm following - is your issue more with those bringing the charges, the jurors, the judges, our overall attitude towards women who are violated or a combination of all of them? 

As a complete legal moron my assumption when I read that a plea agreement was reached is that either the case wasn't strong or the lawyer wasn't convinced he could win.  Is that typically true?

On the probation sentence - isn't that something that either gets worked out with the lawyers or the judge and not the jurors? 

Sorry for asking probably stupid questions but I'm trying to understand where you feel the biggest part of the problem lies today.

I know I would like to see a discussion here between @Henry Ford and @Zow on this. We "know" and trust them and they clearly have lots of experience in this important area.
If you use the legal definition of sexual assault, 100% of the women I know - and probably 100% of the women you and everyone else in this country knows - have been sexually assaulted.  Let's start there.

Oh no, this is part of the problem.

How many of those sentences of probation are from trial and how many are from a plea deal agreed to by the defense and the prosecution? A plea deal which is all but rubber stamped by a judge?

Ours is a system where an assured conviction for some offense is more important than a likely conviction for the actual offense. A system where our prison populations are so over crowded from non violent crime convictions that violent offenders that caused physical harm are released early. DAs want to hang their hats on conviction rates. Judges need to clear their dockets. Plea bargains occur. I think the only conviction that led to probation was the Doctor in Texas. The rest of the results were agreed upon by all parties, with the notable exception of the victims. Giving victims line-item input into plea negotiations doesn't seem to be a road anyone wants to go down.

The nature of our adversarial system generates results such as the ones shown by HF. An inquisitive system would have much different outcomes.

Henry - I read through most of your posts but don't have time to read all the links.  Just to make sure I'm following - is your issue more with those bringing the charges, the jurors, the judges, our overall attitude towards women who are violated or a combination of all of them? 

As a complete legal moron my assumption when I read that a plea agreement was reached is that either the case wasn't strong or the lawyer wasn't convinced he could win.  Is that typically true?

On the probation sentence - isn't that something that either gets worked out with the lawyers or the judge and not the jurors? 

Sorry for asking probably stupid questions but I'm trying to understand where you feel the biggest part of the problem lies today.
My issue is that we claim we care about these things, we write laws that ostensibly make them illegal, and then we as a society have determined that they're not really worthy of the punishment we claim they are.  We just don't actually care.

As has been suggested on this page "sure, statutory rape is rape, but it isn't rape rape." Well, then let's stop calling it rape.  Let's stop paying it lip service.  If the punishment for sexual assault is 2 years and statutory rape is sexual assault, then the punishment is what it is.  We point to these penalties as evidence that we care, but we don't actually want them enforced.

Sure.  A civil, relaxed discussion about rape and child molestation over a drink.  I have those all the time.
I didn't say relaxed.  

We are lawyers.  We are trained to objectively examine, analyze, discuss, and debate very sensitive legal issues.  Certainly, sexual assault and the ways that the laws are written and applied fall into that parameter. And, a by-product of that training is some desensitization to the emotional charges of those issues (otherwise, we'd probably all find ourselves at the bottom of a bottle or a lake). So, yes, it is possible to have a serious, civil discussion about a difficult legal topic over a drink. 

I'm not disagreeing with Henry Ford. I just would like to believe that in most cases, justice prevails. There will always be issues with the system. I agree that we have to teach sons to respect women, but that doesn't mean that they have to wait for women to make the first move. We also have to teach our daughters to report incidents right away - not 36 years later. It is too damaging to the psyche to deal with rape or attempted rape, or even a groping for long periods of time.

In short, we have been going through a period of change in sexual relations, particularly at the teenage level. It is confusing and frustrating for both sexes.
I guess it depends on your definition of justice to sound like an arsehat lawyer.    I'm not so sure in this arena that "justice" always prevails though.  In my domestic violence experience, ugly practicality gets in the way of justice far too often. 

I didn't say relaxed.  

We are lawyers.  We are trained to objectively examine, analyze, discuss, and debate very sensitive legal issues.  Certainly, sexual assault and the ways that the laws are written and applied fall into that parameter. And, a by-product of that training is some desensitization to the emotional charges of those issues (otherwise, we'd probably all find ourselves at the bottom of a bottle or a lake). So, yes, it is possible to have a serious, civil discussion about a difficult legal topic over a drink. 
I'm very intrigued.  Tell me more about what being a lawyer is.

I'm very intrigued.  Tell me more about what being a lawyer is.
Henry, as I said in my very first post, I respect the hell out of you.  So, with that in mind, and with the obvious deterioration of this discussion, we both appear to be at a point where much more on this will be counter-productive. 

Henry, as I said in my very first post, I respect the hell out of you.  So, with that in mind, and with the obvious deterioration of this discussion, we both appear to be at a point where much more on this will be counter-productive. 
It will be if your attempt to discuss it is continually based in policing my responses as a lawyer instead of the topic.

The discussion didn't deteriorate. It began with a single post by you that just said "Dude."  

I tried to post the basic circumstances for a number of the articles - the answers to these is varied.  Sometimes it's a conviction, sometimes the jury sets the sentence, sometimes the judge, sometimes it's a plea deal, etc.

I guess it depends on your definition of justice to sound like an arsehat lawyer.    I'm not so sure in this arena that "justice" always prevails though.  In my domestic violence experience, ugly practicality gets in the way of justice far too often. 
Well, a lot of people here are sounding like lawyers, and that doesn't bother me so much, at least in this discussion so far. Ugly practicality seems to get in the way a lot - we need more judges at multiple levels (and let's not get into the political tactics in D.C. - those aren't the judges we are talking about here). So the question still remains as to whether justice is served in most cases, only a few cases or not at all?

I think a great discussion is how to change the legal system to combat what is a truly significant problem of men physically assaulting women either simply hitting them or sexually assaulting them.  No one law can change it nor guilty verdict - I think.  There needs to be a societal movement from the ground up and the family up to get there.  Again, I think.

Well, a lot of people here are sounding like lawyers, and that doesn't bother me so much, at least in this discussion so far. Ugly practicality seems to get in the way a lot - we need more judges at multiple levels (and let's not get into the political tactics in D.C. - those aren't the judges we are talking about here). So the question still remains as to whether justice is served in most cases, only a few cases or not at all?
In the cases that actually go to trial, I would say there's a legitimate argument that more cases result in some measure of justice than do not.  When you include all the cases that don't ever make it to trial for all kinds of reasons, I would say very few rape or sexual assault cases result in anything I'd consider "justice."

I’m not a lawyer, but sentencing guidelines usually have some sort of, you know, sentence attached. A lot of these are plea bargains, where a “rape” gets pled down to “aggravated assault,” “filming an unclothed person,” or some other slap on the wrist, and avoid crimes with guidelines, like registering as a sex offender. I know these are all hand picked articles by HF but there is also a lot to choose from. What’s an acceptable rate of pleasing down? 1/2500? I wouldn’t jump out of a plane if 1/2500 jumpers die at the place. 

I know some of these prosecutors probably accept a deal to keep it out of court as part of protection of the victim, not having to relive it, and some are giving a second chance, as the people involved up to that point had been decent young citizens that made a bad youthful decision,  rather than being a serial rapist. Sometimes there may be a question as to whether they could get a conviction, but the perp also doesn’t want to risk a trial, and admits to some lesser wrongdoing to avoid the chance of prison. Not all cases are the same or cut and dry. 

Users who are viewing this thread