What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Criminal Justice and Sexual Assault (1 Viewer)

Well, a lot of people here are sounding like lawyers, and that doesn't bother me so much, at least in this discussion so far. Ugly practicality seems to get in the way a lot - we need more judges at multiple levels (and let's not get into the political tactics in D.C. - those aren't the judges we are talking about here). So the question still remains as to whether justice is served in most cases, only a few cases or not at all?
On the surface, most of the cases Henry posted it certainly doesn't feel like it.

I don't do criminal work.  I do handle domestic violence.  If you forced me to tell you what percentage of cases in domestic violence that I have handled, seen and studied ended up with justice being served, I'd be hard pressed to say any number higher than 25% in the domestic violence hearing(s).  The problem becomes, sometimes there are other hearings, other courts, and other proceedings.  

I’m not a lawyer, but sentencing guidelines usually have some sort of, you know, sentence attached. A lot of these are plea bargains, where a “rape” gets pled down to “aggravated assault,” “filming an unclothed person,” or some other slap on the wrist, and avoid crimes with guidelines, like registering as a sex offender. I know these are all hand picked articles by HF but there is also a lot to choose from. What’s an acceptable rate of pleasing down? 1/2500? I wouldn’t jump out of a plane if 1/2500 jumpers die at the place. 

I know some of these prosecutors probably accept a deal to keep it out of court as part of protection of the victim, not having to relive it, and some are giving a second chance, as the people involved up to that point had been decent young citizens that made a bad youthful decision,  rather than being a serial rapist. Sometimes there may be a question as to whether they could get a conviction, but the perp also doesn’t want to risk a trial, and admits to some lesser wrongdoing to avoid the chance of prison. Not all cases are the same or cut and dry. 
Absolutely.  Which is why it absolutely galls me when the victim is on board, lives for years with the case delaying moving on from it at all, works with the prosecutor, and then a deal gets struck at the eleventh hour to give the perpetrator probation.  Or when there's a conviction and the perpetrator gets probation.

When that's the model, there's no reason for a perpetrator to plead out for any real crime at all.  Because he's not risking anything by going to trial, and may gain quite a lot, especially if the victim can't take it anymore or he gets a favorable jury.  In order to have teeth in the law, especially when we get a conviction there needs to be a serious set of consequences.

I’m not a lawyer, but sentencing guidelines usually have some sort of, you know, sentence attached. A lot of these are plea bargains, where a “rape” gets pled down to “aggravated assault,” “filming an unclothed person,” or some other slap on the wrist, and avoid crimes with guidelines, like registering as a sex offender. I know these are all hand picked articles by HF but there is also a lot to choose from. What’s an acceptable rate of pleasing down? 1/2500? I wouldn’t jump out of a plane if 1/2500 jumpers die at the place. 

I know some of these prosecutors probably accept a deal to keep it out of court as part of protection of the victim, not having to relive it, and some are giving a second chance, as the people involved up to that point had been decent young citizens that made a bad youthful decision,  rather than being a serial rapist. Sometimes there may be a question as to whether they could get a conviction, but the perp also doesn’t want to risk a trial, and admits to some lesser wrongdoing to avoid the chance of prison. Not all cases are the same or cut and dry. 
This type of "how it really works behind the scenes" for lawyers and plea bargains and such is information I'd like to hear more on from people that have experience with this.

I'm certainly no lawyer and I have assumptions of how this might work. But I don't know. That's why I'd be interested in a discussion between those that do know.

I think a great discussion is how to change the legal system to combat what is a truly significant problem of men physically assaulting women either simply hitting them or sexually assaulting them.  No one law can change it nor guilty verdict - I think.  There needs to be a societal movement from the ground up and the family up to get there.  Again, I think.
I agree.  There has to be a complete cultural shift in how we think about sexual violence.  That's the whole point.

This type of "how it really works behind the scenes" for lawyers and plea bargains and such is information I'd like to hear more on from people that have experience with this.

I'm certainly no lawyer and I have assumptions of how this might work. But I don't know. That's why I'd be interested in a discussion between those that do know.
The issue I'm trying to address here is why we allow this. We scream that women need to come forward, need to do the right things, and even when they do they feel betrayed by the process - which is really, honestly, a betrayal by society in general.

"The encounter was consensual" is not a legitimate argument when a teacher pleads guilty to raping a sixteen year old.  And the reason it's made is because of a complete lack of understanding about what consent is - and a belief that while that's the law it's not really true.  That's what victims are living with.  Even if there's a conviction, they're many times told sure, but that wasn't really rape.  Whether in actual words, or with sentencing.

I agree.  There has to be a complete cultural shift in how we think about sexual violence.  That's the whole point.
And I think us (meaning the lawyers here) get in the way of the discussion when we bog it down in practicing law.  For the purposes of the having the discussion here, not in the case, for example, of actually trying to write law with a legislature.

I guess, the question I would ask you is this (I really hate Socratic discussions sometimes): would you say that perhaps we need a criminal penalty system for sexual assault/rape that is akin to a hate crime?  Meaning, a special manner of handling it and then sentencing parameters?  Or, just treat them like hate crimes?

Because I will be honest, I am open for the discussion - I'm not there though.  

This is where I'm not sure I agree.

I think we can look at the cases and in what seems to be gross cases of justice not being served. I don't think it takes any societal change for people to be outraged by that. I think we're there now. 

I think what needs to happen is a stop to these gross cases of justice not being served. Society has already changed. I don't think you need people to care. They already care.

I think the question is how do we as society stop these injustices from happening?

Last edited by a moderator:
And I think us (meaning the lawyers here) get in the way of the discussion when we bog it down in practicing law.  For the purposes of the having the discussion here, not in the case, for example, of actually trying to write law with a legislature.

I guess, the question I would ask you is this (I really hate Socratic discussions sometimes): would you say that perhaps we need a criminal penalty system for sexual assault/rape that is akin to a hate crime?  Meaning, a special manner of handling it and then sentencing parameters?  Or, just treat them like hate crimes?

I think there are a lot of avenues to take on this.  One that is not working is "We define this as rape" but then in the sentencing phase deciding "but not that kind of rape so you shouldn't get the full punishment we think of as for rape."

I think we can look at the cases and in what seems to be gross cases of justice not being served. I don't think it takes any societal change for people to be outraged by that. I think we're there now. 

I think what needs to happen a stop to these gross cases of justice not being served. Society has already changed. I don't think you need people to care. They already care.

I think the question is how do we as society stop these injustices from happening?
Why do you believe people care?

Edit: obviously persons care.  But "We The People" - why do you think The People care?

I think what needs to happen a stop to these gross cases of justice not being served. Society has already changed. I don't think you need people to care. They already care.

I'm going to be the pinball in this discussion - I don't agree with you at all Joe.  Society hasn't changed at all.  Maybe the news stories have.  But not society.  I was in DV court this week and there were 50 fresh cases.  There will be more next week.  And the week after that.  Harvey Weinstein getting dragged to hell isn't stopping the casting couch right now.  And the metoo movement hasn't put a dent in the ultimate problem.

Society hasn't changed at all.  If anything, I would argue that men are getting worse.  

Why do you believe people care?

Edit: obviously persons care.  But "We The People" - why do you think The People care?
I think you can read this thread and see people care. I can't imagine we're that weird here and others don't care as well. 

I think there are a lot of avenues to take on this.  One that is not working is "We define this as rape" but then in the sentencing phase deciding "but not that kind of rape so you shouldn't get the full punishment we think of as for rape."
I can see that.  So perhaps, for discussion sake, start from this - should we not allow any mitigating factors when it comes to a rape conviction?

I don't know if I've ever thought about that.

It will be if your attempt to discuss it is continually based in policing my responses as a lawyer instead of the topic.

The discussion didn't deteriorate. It began with a single post by you that just said "Dude."  
I shouldn't have just said, "dude."  While that was my second post (I made a lengthy, respectful post above it that opened the discussion") and I was genuinely taken aback by what I interpreted to be an insult towards the law and the professionals involved with it, you deserved something better than just, "dude."  

My state already does this. I believe several others do as well. 

I think you can read this thread and see people care. I can't imagine we're that weird here and others don't care as well. 
I represented a girl who was beaten by her boyfriend.  Her family was active in their church.  Among the many things I talked to them about was talking to their pastor and joining a certain group.

They all adamantly opposed me, almost violently so.  They didn't want anyone in the church to know what happened to their daughter and she didn't want to be "the girl who was hit by her boyfriend,"  at church.

That is sickening and heart breaking at the same time.  And it was all because, ultimately, on a level we all know exists, that family worried that most people wouldn't care and would treat them differently.

I can see that.  So perhaps, for discussion sake, start from this - should we not allow any mitigating factors when it comes to a rape conviction?

I don't know if I've ever thought about that.
I don't see how that'd ever be constitutional as it would violate the 6th and 8th Amendments. 

I'm going to be the pinball in this discussion - I don't agree with you at all Joe.  Society hasn't changed at all.  Maybe the news stories have.  But not society.  I was in DV court this week and there were 50 fresh cases.  There will be more next week.  And the week after that.  Harvey Weinstein getting dragged to hell isn't stopping the casting couch right now.  And the metoo movement hasn't put a dent in the ultimate problem.

Society hasn't changed at all.  If anything, I would argue that men are getting worse.  
I'm not going to tell you your business as obviously you work in the area and see more than I do.

As a parent of four with of three of them college aged, and one a high school senior, I think society has changed dramatically. I think society has changed dramatically in the last two years. I see even at our little site how stuff I allowed 5 years ago and looked the other way now I cringe when I think about us having it on the site. I could well be wrong, but my perception is things have changed dramatically for the better in how we see this issue.

I have a hearing to get to.  I will post more and be active here later and in the future.  More men need to talk about this topic in a real way and not just in the, "well if it was my daughter I would just kill him and they would never find the body," way.

I'm not going to tell your business as obviously you work in the area and see more than I do.

As a parent of four with of three of them college aged, and one a high school senior, I think society has changed dramatically. I think society has changed dramatically in the last two years. I see even at our little site how stuff I allowed 5 years ago and looked the other way now I cringe when I think about us having it on the site. I could well be wrong, but my perception is things have changed dramatically for the better in how we see this issue.
If I may use an overused metaphor:

Society changed dramatically between the end of slavery and the middle of Jim Crow.  I don't think that was adequate then and I don't think the current shifts on the attitude of sexual violence indicate getting anywhere close to "caring" as I'd like to use that term.

I don't know. I think people care and want to see what it takes to have cases like you mentioned not happen. 

Do you see something different than that? 
Yes.  In fact, I saw someone call a 30 year old wrestling coach raping an underage girl a consensual encounter in this thread.

I represented a girl who was beaten by her boyfriend.  Her family was active in their church.  Among the many things I talked to them about was talking to their pastor and joining a certain group.

They all adamantly opposed me, almost violently so.  They didn't want anyone in the church to know what happened to their daughter and she didn't want to be "the girl who was hit by her boyfriend,"  at church.

That is sickening and heart breaking at the same time.  And it was all because, ultimately, on a level we all know exists, that family worried that most people wouldn't care and would treat them differently.
Yes. I understand that and while it's still a very serious obstacle, I think it's something that is changing for the better. Again, I don't have any evidence to back this up. It just feels like stuff that was wink wink, American Pie or Porkys stuff years ago is now rightly seen as wrong. 

How so?  (I honestly have no idea.)
A person convicted of sexual assault, a Class 2 Felony, is sentenced pursuant to a wholly different set of sentencing ranges pursuant to statute than a "normal" felony in the same class.  These are much harsher. 

Additionally, my state has a wholly separate set of sentencing guidelines when the victim is a minor.  These are also much harsher. 

A somewhat easy to understand chart can be found here: https://www.azcourts.gov/Portals/0/CriminalSentencingCt/2017Sentencing.pdf

The issue I'm trying to address here is why we allow this. We scream that women need to come forward, need to do the right things, and even when they do they feel betrayed by the process - which is really, honestly, a betrayal by society in general.

"The encounter was consensual" is not a legitimate argument when a teacher pleads guilty to raping a sixteen year old.  And the reason it's made is because of a complete lack of understanding about what consent is - and a belief that while that's the law it's not really true.  That's what victims are living with.  Even if there's a conviction, they're many times told sure, but that wasn't really rape.  Whether in actual words, or with sentencing.
The guy was punished.  10 years probation, loss of teachers license, and being listed as a sexual predator is not a “slap on the wrist”.

I never said it wasn’t rape.   You said that.  You pretend to want a conversation on this topic, but then treat everyone like a courtroom adversary.  Quit twisting words to try and claim some faux morally superior position.

I shouldn't have just said, "dude."  While that was my second post (I made a lengthy, respectful post above it that opened the discussion") and I was genuinely taken aback by what I interpreted to be an insult towards the law and the professionals involved with it, you deserved something better than just, "dude."  
Thanks.  Saw your first post later (and it's been edited so I don't know what it said at first) because you didn't tag me in it.  The "dude" was the first I saw.  As to your belief that I meant something against our colleagues, these are the first two sentences of the thread:

I'll stop cluttering up other threads with my belief that this country does not adequately prosecute or, frankly, care about sexual violence against women.  Other threads are replete with victim blame for not coming forward, and statements as to what women can do to be treated as survivors instead of liars.
This is about society.  And why women don't come forward, because they perceive that there's not all that much in it for them most of the time.

If I may use an overused metaphor:

Society changed dramatically between the end of slavery and the middle of Jim Crow.  I don't think that was adequate then and I don't think the current shifts on the attitude of sexual violence indicate getting anywhere close to "caring" as I'd like to use that term.
I think people care now. I think this thread is evidence of that. 

I think people would like to understand how the cases you mentioned happened.

I think an honest discussion between you and Zow on the topic as people with "inside" understanding and experience would be helpful for:

1. Understanding how these cases happened

2. Helping move toward a place were injustice does not happen in these cases.

That's how I see it right now. 

The guy was punished.  10 years probation, loss of teachers license, and being listed as a sexual predator is not a “slap on the wrist”.

I never said it wasn’t rape.   You said that.  You pretend to want a conversation on this topic, but then treat everyone like a courtroom adversary.  Quit twisting words to try and claim some faux moral superior position.
You said it was consensual.  Rape is definitionally sexual assault, usually involving penetration, without consent.  Which is entirely my point about societal attitudes.

I think people care now. I think this thread is evidence of that. 

I think people would like to understand how the cases you mentioned happened.

I think an honest discussion between you and Zow on the topic as people with "inside" understanding and experience would be helpful for:

That's how I see it right now. 
I think we may view this thread very differently from one another.

You said it was consensual.  Rape is definitionally sexual assault, usually involving penetration, without consent.  Which is entirely my point about societal attitudes.
They appear to have been in a relationship so it would have been statutory rape.  We aren’t in a courtroom here.  By consensual I meant non-forcible.  They agreed to it.  She gave permission.  Her “consent”.

Thanks.  Saw your first post later (and it's been edited so I don't know what it said at first) because you didn't tag me in it.  The "dude" was the first I saw.  As to your belief that I meant something against our colleagues, these are the first two sentences of the thread:

This is about society.  And why women don't come forward, because they perceive that there's not all that much in it for them most of the time.
All good.  So there's no misunderstanding:

1. IIRC the editing to my initial post was just to correct some typos. No substantive changes or additions were made. 

2. I understand your overall point and frustration. 

All good.  So there's no misunderstanding:

1. IIRC the editing to my initial post was just to correct some typos. No substantive changes or additions were made. 

2. I understand your overall point and frustration. 
I'm glad to hear that.

The issue isn't that the courts do this wrong - it's that society has done only lip service to a great many things we call "rape."  But not really treated them like rape.  Which leads to some serious problems.  Especially because we then have rape convictions that indicate constantly downward-driven sentences for rape in some jurisdictions, even when they get bumped up by a new law or sentencing guideline; a few years later, they're through the floor again.

On the surface, most of the cases Henry posted it certainly doesn't feel like it.

I don't do criminal work.  I do handle domestic violence.  If you forced me to tell you what percentage of cases in domestic violence that I have handled, seen and studied ended up with justice being served, I'd be hard pressed to say any number higher than 25% in the domestic violence hearing(s).  The problem becomes, sometimes there are other hearings, other courts, and other proceedings.  
I find that disturbing.

That's not how "consensual" is or should be defined. 
She appears to have given her consent.  I undestand she did so as a minor.  Translate that into any legalese that makes you happy.

It was a crime and he was punished, from what I can tell, rather heavily.

I have to tell you, the complete failure to understand what's going on in this conversation is really mind-blowing.  And just maddening.
You’re probably right.  I’ll leave the courtroom battles to the lawyers.  I thought the discussion would be more about societal perceptions and changes.

I don’t want to spend an hour trying to point out that by “consent” I simply meant they were having a relationship.  That doesn’t make it not “rape” or not worthy of being punished.  

This is just going to end up being another thread where winning is more important than actually discussing.  Congratulations.  You win.  I’ll take this extra free time to help my daughter with her essay.

a great many things we call "rape." 
What are the "great many things?" Rape involves sexual penetration carried out against a person without that person's consent.  After that, I think terms get a little fuzzy, like what is sexual assault and what is groping or fondling. I'm sure there are legal definitions, but I don't think people are all on the same page when it comes to sexual assault.

I think we may view this thread very differently from one another.
I don't know. 

I think:

Do you agree with that?

I have to tell you, the complete failure to understand what's going on in this conversation is really mind-blowing.  And just maddening.
States have different ages of consent. NY is 17 and Penn is 16. Because a person goes from Penn to NY, they are somehow incapable of giving consent? 
Many laws are written with age ranges. NY's law holds a "person who is under age 16 but older than 13 years old can consent to sex with a person who is no more than 4 years older." 
A 15YO can consent to a 19YO, but if the 19YO turns 20 before the 15YO turns 16, then the ability of the younger person to consent is gone?

The idea of consent in statutory rape cases is great in theory, but to pretend that the application is uniform and logical is a touch beyond the pale.

You’re probably right.  I’ll leave the courtroom battles to the lawyers.  I thought the discussion would be more about societal perceptions and changes.

I don’t want to spend an hour trying to point out that by “consent” I simply meant they were having a relationship.  That doesn’t make it not “rape” or not worthy of being punished.  

This is just going to end up being another thread where winning is more important than actually discussing.  Congratulations.  You win.  I’ll take this extra free time to help my daughter with her essay.
This isn’t about winning, it’s about the fact that when a ten year old tells her uncle it’s okay to play “the game” or when a fifteen year old tells a 30 year old teacher it’s okay to have sex, neither one of those is consent. 

What are the "great many things?" Rape involves sexual penetration carried out against a person without that person's consent.  After that, I think terms get a little fuzzy, like what is sexual assault and what is groping or fondling. I'm sure there are legal definitions, but I don't think people are all on the same page when it comes to sexual assault.
“Statutory Rape” is not treated like rape involving force sufficient to overcome the will of the victim.  

(By the way, all rape prosecution under statutes is “statutory” rape)

States have different ages of consent. NY is 17 and Penn is 16. Because a person goes from Penn to NY, they are somehow incapable of giving consent? 
Many laws are written with age ranges. NY's law holds a "person who is under age 16 but older than 13 years old can consent to sex with a person who is no more than 4 years older." 
A 15YO can consent to a 19YO, but if the 19YO turns 20 before the 15YO turns 16, then the ability of the younger person to consent is gone?

The idea of consent in statutory rape cases is great in theory, but to pretend that the application is uniform and logical is a touch beyond the pale.
Sorry, did people’s birthdays or how long a year is change in your example? Within four years means within four years.

All those “within x years” statutes are exceptions intended to give a buffer so as not to apply the law in such a way as to be unfair to the older person.  

In my experience, there are many good reasons why these cases get pled out:

(1) The burden of proof is extremely high.  Proof beyond a reasonable doubt is a tough standard, especially when you typically only have one behind closed doors witness and little corroborating evidence.  Things get murkier when there are elements of consent in the statements of the Defendant ("she seemed into it too") as well as the behavior of the victim ("I started kissing him...").  

(2) The right to remain silent means the case will be about the victim, her credibility (she's repeated her account so many times there are bound to be inconsistencies), her behavior both before and after, and her culpability (i.e. how she dressed, was she flirty, did she drink too much etc.).  While the victim may be cross examined by a hostile defense attorney for hours, the Defendant doesn't have to present evidence and doesn't have to testify. 

(3) It's a public process.  Aside from having to testify AGAIN (she's already told the cops, the docs, the DA, the grand jury, the DA again in trial prep), she must now do it in front of the Defendant, his family, his lawyer(s), a judge, the media, various court staff and interested persons, and 12 strangers who get to pass judgment on what she says.  It's incredibly draining and highly intimidating.  

(4) The requirement of a unanimous verdict means that one vote to acquit can result in a mistrial, which means going through the process all over again just because one person wasn't convinced of guilt.  Who wants to go through this twice?   

(5) If the Defendant has no criminal record, it's going to be difficult to convince a judge to send the guy to prison unless some sort of added forcible element is involved (I understand that it's a crime of violence but without a weapon, evidence of drugging, injuries or the like, this will act as mitigation).  Here too, the victim's behavior will be reviewed to determine how "culpable" the Defendant was.  In the judge's head, the clean cut kid with the nice suit and slick lawyer is being compared to drug dealers, armed robbers, and wife beaters with many past crimes, and if the victim comes off as a promiscuous and/or troubled woman (as is often the case), that too will play in the Defendant's favor.   

Any one of the elements listed above can cause the victim/prosecutor to punt and seek a plea deal.  More often than not, it is the victim who caves because of the trauma of it all.  The criminal justice system is not designed to handle these types of cases in any sort of humane way.  All benefits go towards the Defendant and it is the victim who is effectively put on trial from beginning to end.  It takes a really special and courageous person to see it through.       

Users who are viewing this thread