What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Herndon TE Jets (1 Viewer)

Football Jones

Footballguy
Herndon passes the eyeball test rather easily. Athletic, good size, & has rare blocking upside. I like his overall package quite a bit.

TE is pretty bare these days so any prospect with upside is attractive in dynasty leagues. Herndon has been on my hot list since the NFL draft. I pulled the trigger this week in waivers since he seems to be getting some run (& a TD). The Jets are super-high on Herndon, as well (which certainly doesn't hurt).

Anybody have an opinion on this kid?

BTW, Herndon was a 4th round pick, but he wasn't able to workout for scouts due to an injury.

Herndon no doubt would've been a day-2 pick had he been available for the Combine, Pro Day, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shhhh!!!!!!!!

Mods, delete this thread.

I'min the middle of trying to rip someone off with Jimmy Graham.

Picked him up early in preseason in a 14 team TE premium and really hoping he can be bright spot on the team as it’s a rebuild. Picked him up because he is in a solid spot and coachs were raving about him. Kinda surprised he wasn’t used more wary in the year but I do think he was hurt some late in preseason so maybe they were waiting till he was 100% 

Herndon passes the eyeball test rather easily. Athletic, good size, & has rare blocking upside. I like his overall package quite a bit.

TE is pretty bare these days so any prospect with upside is attractive in dynasty leagues. Herndon has been on my hot list since the NFL draft. I pulled the trigger this week in waivers since he seems to be getting some run (& a TD). The Jets are super-high on Herndon, as well (which certainly doesn't hurt).

Anybody have an opinion on this kid?
I like him. He made some great catches in camp plus his blocking was better than advertised. He's made some plays so far (a couple of rookie careless ones, too).

As far as competition goes, Leggett hasn't shown much so far and isn't a good blocker. Sterling has some offensive ability, but the Jets seem to really like Herndon and his overall game. 

I think that he's going to be a good player. How good, I don't know.  Due to his injury in college, he was probably a bit underrated during the draft process. 

Nice game for Herndon! Did anybody add him this week?

I'm glad I did because he'll be harder to get now. Good chance we have something here, IMO.

Herndon is the type of prospect who really peeks my interest.

First, because of the position he plays. We need more FF talent at TE.

Second, I make a habit to look for prospects who have untapped potential. Everybody is aware of the players who have come close to maxing out their upside. They typically get taken high in your rookie drafts. However, there are bargains that can be found with the Herndon-types. Underutilized in college & a 4th round pick who couldn't work out in the pre-draft process because of injury.

That's a near-perfect combination for "sleeperhood" if the talent is there. Herndon has a rare combination of RAC & blocking ability (although, raw technique-wise). Once Herndon gets up to speed, he won't lose PT due to being a lousy blocker like a lot of receiving types at the position, especially with all the spread offenses in college nowadays.

----------

BTW, I've been thinking of starting a thread (probably next season) of players who are on my "hot list". I keep a list of FA-types at all times in my leagues. It starts with veteran FAs immediately after the season then I add the rookies who don't get taken in my rookie draft. It's essentially a running list all year long.

I guess it would be similar to the weekly waiver wire threads, but with a continuous spin. That would allow you to strike earlier if you have room to make a pickup (& agree with my take).

Anybody interested in something like that?

BTW, I've been thinking of starting a thread (probably next season) of players who are on my "hot list". I keep a list of FA-types at all times in my leagues. It starts with veteran FAs immediately after the season then I add the rookies who don't get taken in my rookie draft. It's essentially a running list all year long.

I guess it would be similar to the weekly waiver wire threads, but with a continuous spin. That would allow you to strike earlier if you have room to make a pickup (& agree with my take).

I would be, provided none of my leaguemates are FBGs  :D

Herndon is the type of prospect who really peeks my interest.

First, because of the position he plays. We need more FF talent at TE.

Second, I make a habit to look for prospects who have untapped potential. Everybody is aware of the players who have come close to maxing out their upside. They typically get taken high in your rookie drafts. However, there are bargains that can be found with the Herndon-types. Underutilized in college & a 4th round pick who couldn't work out in the pre-draft process because of injury.

That's a near-perfect combination for "sleeperhood" if the talent is there. Herndon has a rare combination of RAC & blocking ability (although, raw technique-wise). 

Once Herndon gets up to speed, he won't lose PT due to being a lousy blocker like a lot of receiving types at the position, especially with all the spread offenses in college nowadays.

----------

Absolutely. Trolling the wire for guys like this is where my dyno bread is buttered.

As for Herndon, did he have a TD taken off the board? I’m out of the country and wasn’t watching the games, but I popped into MFL and it looked like he had 2 listed at one point. Picked him up in part due to this thread, so thanks!

Absolutely. Trolling the wire for guys like this is where my dyno bread is buttered.

As for Herndon, did he have a TD taken off the board? I’m out of the country and wasn’t watching the games, but I popped into MFL and it looked like he had 2 listed at one point. Picked him up in part due to this thread, so thanks!
I'm not yet aware of the 2nd TD that may have been called back, but maybe somebody else can clarify.

BTW, other obvious dynamics I didn't even mention yet are Darnold & the lack of a top WR.

It might take Darnold awhile, but he's a franchise-type QB prospect. And the lack of a true go-to receiving option puts Herndon farther up the pecking order.

I could see Herndon taking off as soon as next season if he keeps developing at this pace. This year might be kind of uneven, but Herndon is LOADED with potential, IMO.

BTW, other obvious dynamics I didn't even mention yet are Darnold & the lack of a top WR.

It might take Darnold awhile, but he's a franchise-type QB. And the lack of a true go-to receiving option puts Herndon farther up the pecking order.

I could see Herndon taking off as soon as next season if he keeps developing at this pace. This year might be kind of uneven, but Herndon is LOADED with potential, IMO.
Isn't Herndon getting a lot of the balls that Enunwa was getting prior to getting hurt?  Enunwa sorta played the role of WR and TE.

Isn't Herndon getting a lot of the balls that Enunwa was getting prior to getting hurt?  Enunwa sorta played the role of WR and TE.
He very well could be benefitting from Enunwa's absense, but you could also say Enunwa was benefitting from Herndon being a rookie. TEs typically take awhile to develop.

Good observation, though.

The only real issue with Herndon right now is the Jets are using a TEBC, but it's only a matter of time before Herndon is the starter (likely by next season).

Enunwa is really the only receiver that ran those routes in the middle/TE routes. Kearse is more an outside guy and Anderson a lid lifter. Pryor could've but he was released... Basically they need TEs for that part of the field and Herndon is the best of the bunch. 

I should add that Enunwa should be back in 3-4 weeks as he's recovering from a high ankle sprain. Dynasty it won't matter, but it redraft he should get that work back.

Just got another TD. Herndon has some real upside with Darnold as both young players develop. 

It's a big boon to your dynasty team when you hit on a guy without using a top asset.

Long way to go, but I LOVE Herndon's long-term outlook.

Still looking very solid even with Darnold our so it’s not just a connection between the two. Already doing better then what Kittle did his first year but hoping he can keep delevloping into atleast a guy like Kittle this year

Chris Herndon pleaded guilty to DWI on Wednesday stemming from a June accident.

Herndon was arrested on June 4 after ramming into another vehicle in addition to a railroad car and its attached trailer. The 76-year-old driver of the other vehicle escaped with a gashed arm. Herndon is lucky that was the extent of his damage. He's now going to face a suspension in 2019.

HOw are we feeling about him for this season?
I think he's a guy who is going to be a popular breakout candidate, but he'll probably not be on any of my teams. Feels like a high-end TE2 to me.

I think Anderson, Crowder, and Enunwa, will all be pretty involved, and Bell will likely be more involved as a pass catcher than the RB's were last season. 

I could see him having a pretty similar season to last year, even with Darnold likely taking a step forward. 

39-502-4 last year as a rookie. Wanna say that’s a really good year for a rookie TE. Seems to have a connection with darnold already so that should help him. Still to many unknowns to really say how good he will be. Does the whole jets offense take a jump where he gets more opportunities? Does Gase run a TE friendly offense?

Early prediction would be close to what he did last year tho I think that’s his floor and has a good amount of upside. I’ll go with 48-600-7

I think he's a guy who is going to be a popular breakout candidate, but he'll probably not be on any of my teams. Feels like a high-end TE2 to me.

I think Anderson, Crowder, and Enunwa, will all be pretty involved, and Bell will likely be more involved as a pass catcher than the RB's were last season. 

I could see him having a pretty similar season to last year, even with Darnold likely taking a step forward. 
Was reading an article on TE rankings and the author mentioned that Herndon played with Darnold in 8 games from week 6 forward and was ranked TE #7 over that period. I was kind of surprised to hear that and think if Darnold takes a step forward that Herndon could actually eek into the top 10 this year. Maybe more surprising to me was that Hooper was TE 5 over that week 6-17 span. He's a guy that really gets no respect but just keeps improving his numbers every year.

Was reading an article on TE rankings and the author mentioned that Herndon played with Darnold in 8 games from week 6 forward and was ranked TE #7 over that period. I was kind of surprised to hear that and think if Darnold takes a step forward that Herndon could actually eek into the top 10 this year. Maybe more surprising to me was that Hooper was TE 5 over that week 6-17 span. He's a guy that really gets no respect but just keeps improving his numbers every year.
I'd be higher on Herndon, if the Jets hadn't made some big off season moves. He looks very talented, but they signed Bell, and Crowder to a lesser extent, so its tough to see where Herndon's numbers will improve...unless Darnold takes a monster step forward, which is possible but not probable.

I agree that Hooper is very underrated. He's a great TEBC guy.

ESPN's Rich Cimini notes Chris Herndon is "facing the likelihood of a two-game suspension."

Herndon pleaded guilty to DWI in January after crashing into another vehicle last June. Nothing is official yet, but Herndon is going to face a short suspension in 2019. When he returns, Herndon will be an intriguing late-round fantasy tight end after catching 39 passes for 502 yards and four touchdowns as a rookie last year.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jun 14, 2019, 10:13 AM ET

Chris Herndon said he focused on film study over the offseason.

Herndon showed well as a rookie with 39 catches for 502 yards and four scores, but he thinks he can improve his preparation. "You could have all the skill in the world, but if you don’t know what to do, you’re not really going to get much playing time," Herndon said. "Before you can get out there and make plays, you have to know where to be and that’s probably the most important part." A possible two-game suspension to open the season puts a dent in Herndon's fantasy value, but he remains a solid breakout candidate.

SOURCE: NewYorkJets.com

Jul 4, 2019, 9:38 AM ET

NFL suspended Jets TE Chris Herndon four games for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Herndon knew a suspension was coming following his DUI arrest last June, though four games is probably a longer ban than he was anticipating (previous reports suggested it would only be a two-game suspension). The Jets have an early bye (Week 4), so Herndon won't be eligible to return until Week 6 against Dallas. Daniel Brown and Trevon Wesco are candidates to fill in at tight end during Herndon's absence, though neither will carry much fantasy weight.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jul 12, 2019, 3:10 PM ET

Substance abuse policy this sounds like failed tests.  Might there still be a suspension for the DUI?  DUI doesn't qualify for substance abuse, it's covered under Personal Conduct unless he's somehow prevented from consuming alcohol like Gordon was.

Substance abuse policy this sounds like failed tests.  Might there still be a suspension for the DUI?  DUI doesn't qualify for substance abuse, it's covered under Personal Conduct unless he's somehow prevented from consuming alcohol like Gordon was.
From what the NY media says he got two games for the DUI and it was bumped because some one involved in the accident claimed bodily harm so that bumps it to 4 games.

This is a huge letdown for the Jets. To miss out on a promising young player for 1/4 of the year can do nothing but hurt the team and Darnold's development.

Okay, Captain Obvious is over, but the four games was quite surprising to this observer. 

Actually I stand corrected, it's explicitly in the SOA policy - 2 games, with provisions for more under aggravated circumstances.  I recall a recent DUI being disciplined under Personal Conduct, but the new SOA is from 2016 so perhaps that's when it changed?  Either way, looks like this one is wrapped up.

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Big play on the Jets' 7-play, 75-yard TD drive: A 32-yard third-down completion from Darnold to Chris Herndon. 

Herndon is going to a problem when he comes back from his 4-game suspension.

Looked darn good last year and in preseason. Monitor Darnold. Act accordingly depending on your leeg. He's not back until Week Six, not Week Five to the best of my knowledge b/c of Wk Four bye week for the Jets. Four game suspension puts him in line to return Wk Six.

He's a good pass-catching TE. One could do worse. But the Jets are a dumpster fire right now. Depends on your prognosticating skills. Had him in one league with Hock and Waller. Dropped him with short benches (five spots for a start nine pos. player league). No value in that league at the time, or so it seemed. Olsen and Graham sit on the waiver wire in that one. May regret it, may not. Trying to hit on a steady WR3 in .5 PPR.

Users who are viewing this thread