What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Herndon TE Jets (2 Viewers)

Suspended 4 games and when eligible to play he gets hurt.  Something about being a Jets player that causes stuff like this to happen.  

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that Jets TE Chris Herndon (hamstring) is out this week and likely next week.

Herndon has a Grade 1 hamstring strain which he suffered while running routes on Friday. The good news is that the pull is reportedly minor and his absence won't be long. It's obviously disappointing news for fantasy owners that stashed Herndon in anticipation of this week, but at least Herndon shouldn't be looking at too much of an extended absence. The Jets will continue to roll with Ryan Griffin at TE with Herndon sidelined.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter.

Oct 10, 2019, 10:33 AM ET

Love how a guy gets injured on Friday and the news doesn't get out until next Wednesday. 
How much contact was he allowed with the team during his suspension? Not sure if that might factor into it, if his suspension didn't officially end until after the team's 4th game.

Dang. This guy is my third TE in the subscription contest and the backup on one of my teams. I hope the Hock is able to play this week, or I'm in hock. Ad hoc? Whatever...

I'm in trouble.

Dang. This guy is my third TE in the subscription contest and the backup on one of my teams. I hope the Hock is able to play this week, or I'm in hock. Ad hoc? Whatever...

I'm in trouble.
Same for me

Was planning to start Herndon this week then play matchups with him and Hock rest of way 

So....it sounds like Gase is covering his own tracks by not revealing the injury until Mid-Week, even having to fib his way thru "We'll see how he looks at practice" knowing full well Herndon is likely out at least 2 more full games and this is likely a 2-4 week injury...the question becomes: What was Herndon doing? Who or where did this take place? In Jets facility during his 4 game suspension, is that legal because I don't know the answer.

Was Gase trying to get him ready on the down low, therefore violating league rules and could there be some fallout for Gase which is why he lied when asked directly about Herndon on Sun/Mon? Or did Herndon really go rogue on his own and practice running routes? Has that ever happened to another WR just jogging and running routes with no contact? Maybe I shouldn't go for that afternoon jog now.

So....it sounds like Gase is covering his own tracks by not revealing the injury until Mid-Week, even having to fib his way thru "We'll see how he looks at practice" knowing full well Herndon is likely out at least 2 more full games and this is likely a 2-4 week injury...the question becomes: What was Herndon doing? Who or where did this take place? In Jets facility during his 4 game suspension, is that legal because I don't know the answer.

Was Gase trying to get him ready on the down low, therefore violating league rules and could there be some fallout for Gase which is why he lied when asked directly about Herndon on Sun/Mon? Or did Herndon really go rogue on his own and practice running routes? Has that ever happened to another WR just jogging and running routes with no contact? Maybe I shouldn't go for that afternoon jog now.
You and monk should write a conspiracy theory book.

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that for some reason Herndon was allowed to be with the team during his suspension 

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that for some reason Herndon was allowed to be with the team during his suspension 
Interesting. I just assumed he wasn't allowed, which I think is usually the case.  Perhaps it's different based on the reason for the suspension?

Chris Herndon (hamstring) remains week to week.

While Herndon was activated from the suspended list earlier this week to get him on the active roster, he still doesn't appear ready to return after injuring his hamstring while working out on his own. He seems doubtful at best for Week 7 against the Patriots Monday night. The Jets will continue to roll with Ryan Griffin in Herndon's absence.

SOURCE: Manish Mehta on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 11:35 AM ET

I was listening to some podcast that said activating him was a strong sign that he was going to play, but then learned that the Jets only had a week grace period to activate him following the suspension.    Not sure what their other option would have been.   Looks like I'm just gonna have to start him and take the hit with Olsen on a bye.  Benches too short to roster someone else, and I'd rather keep Herndon for the rest of the season.

Taking a 0 this week won't be much worse than what I've had so far this season (Henry getting hurt, Vance McDonald getting hurt, Graham and Olsen putting up goose eggs).   

I was listening to some podcast that said activating him was a strong sign that he was going to play, but then learned that the Jets only had a week grace period to activate him following the suspension.    Not sure what their other option would have been.   Looks like I'm just gonna have to start him and take the hit with Olsen on a bye.  Benches too short to roster someone else, and I'd rather keep Herndon for the rest of the season.

Taking a 0 this week won't be much worse than what I've had so far this season (Henry getting hurt, Vance McDonald getting hurt, Graham and Olsen putting up goose eggs).   
How does your league allow that? 

How does your league allow that? 
That's not uncommon. In my league you can't have a empty spot (you need to start a player in every spot, no point shaving) but if you have an injury you can play the injured guy. Of course, if you have no injuries and pick up an injured player that wastes a roster spot, and our league is transaction limited.

That's not uncommon. In my league you can't have a empty spot (you need to start a player in every spot, no point shaving) but if you have an injury you can play the injured guy. Of course, if you have no injuries and pick up an injured player that wastes a roster spot, and our league is transaction limited.
It has always been a crime to not start an active player in every league I have been in, regardless if out, bye or IR. So in my many years of fantasy sports, it is very uncommon in my world to be allowed. You see it happen a lot, but to be allowed? Im sure there are instances but it is very uncommon in my fantasy world. More power to you in that league.

Back to Herndon, which we are we expecting him back? Out this week maybe next week? That week 9 matchup against Miami is saucy. 

Chris Herndon (hamstring) won't practice Thursday.

Herndon is at major risk of limited snaps if he's ultimately able to suit up this week. Full-time TE Ryan Griffin has caught 8-of-10 targets for 45 yards and a score ... this entire season. Avoid this position group until we have reason to believe Herndon will receive a full allotment of snaps.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter.

Oct 17, 2019, 11:12 AM ET

It has always been a crime to not start an active player in every league I have been in, regardless if out, bye or IR. So in my many years of fantasy sports, it is very uncommon in my world to be allowed. You see it happen a lot, but to be allowed? Im sure there are instances but it is very uncommon in my fantasy world. More power to you in that league.
That's a dumb rule. People should be allowed to start the lineup that, in their opinion, gives them the best chance of winning the league.

Back to Herndon, which we are we expecting him back? Out this week maybe next week? That week 9 matchup against Miami is saucy. 
Herron is not out, on a bye or on IR.  Don’t see the issue here.  

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Rich Cimini believes Chris Herndon (hamstring) could return for Week 8.

Sam Darnold thinks the offense could be "unstoppable" with Herndon back in the fold. "Once all the guys are back together, I think we're unstoppable as an offense," said Darnold, the hero in last week's upset win over Dallas. "I think we're capable of so many points." Herndon was recently reinstated from a four-game suspension for violation of the league's substance abuse policy, but now has the hamstring injury to shake. Ryan Griffin has been keeping his seat warm at tight end.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Oct 17, 2019, 4:47 PM ET

That's a dumb rule. People should be allowed to start the lineup that, in their opinion, gives them the best chance of winning the league.
So people should be allowed to start people on bye, who are declared out or on IR?

You are trying to say that is good for a league? 

The "dumb" rule is not setting a complete lineup with active players. 

Allow starting a player on the active roster?  He’s questionable.  Are you forbidden from starting questionable players?   Seems arbitrary.

Thats not what I said, I said starting a player who is out, on bye or IR is bush league and a crime in all my leagues. Period. 

I dont play in strange leagues that allow teams to start players who are on IR, bye or out. That seems like a league of inactive people who dont care and can make the competitive balance unfair. 

If Herndon is delcared out, and you played him in any league I'm in, you would be fined.

So people should be allowed to start people on bye, who are declared out or on IR?

Really depends on roster size and future outlook.  In this case, he looks like a significant contributor long-term.  Do you use up a roster spot and/or WW position for a one week fix?

Really depends on roster size and future outlook.  In this case, he looks like a significant contributor long-term.  Do you use up a roster spot and/or WW position for a one week fix?
Yes, it forces you to make decisions, but I never knew a league did it any other way. I mean I know people do it, but never knew leagues allowed it punishment free.

tackle for loss said:
[scooter] said:

As long as your league allows for the possibility of scoring negative points, then you should allow people to start players who aren't active.

tackle for loss said:
Yes, it forces you to make decisions, but I never knew a league did it any other way. I mean I know people do it, but never knew leagues allowed it punishment free.
In my 2 leagues, you only need to fill the position.  If the player is out, you suffer a zero for his spot.  That diminishes your chances of winning, so you have to weigh the cost of taking that path.  If you have unlimited waivers and unlimited rosters, your demands make some sense.  If not, it makes little sense to me to force owners to jumble their rosters due to injuries, especially when a player will likely return later in the season.

Chris Herndon (hamstring) remained sidelined at Friday's practice.

Herndon was eligible to return from suspension last week but a nagging hamstring injury has kept him from doing so. With Herndon a long shot for Week 7, look for Ryan Griffin to draw another start Monday night against New England.

I'll need a TE when Amdrews goes on Bye next week. Amazingly Herndon was dropped in waivers by a Kelce owner, gonna put in a FAAB bid for him *crosses fingers*

EDIT: Fun fact, his name is actually Chris Herndon the IV.

Chris Herndon (hamstring) will be limited in Wednesday's practice.

It's Herndon's first official practice of the season after serving a four-game suspension and then injuring his hamstring at the end of the ban, forcing him to miss practice each of the last two weeks. A limited session puts Herndon on track to return this week against the Jaguars. At a shallow fantasy position, Herndon needs to be owned in all formats.

SOURCE: Brian Costello on Twitter

Oct 23, 2019, 11:19 AM ET

Chris Herndon (hamstring) will be limited again in Thursday's practice.

Ryan Griffin continues to work as the Jets' full-time TE with Herndon sidelined. This role has produced 10 or fewer yards in all but one game this season. Continue to fade the Jets TE position until Herndon is healthy enough to handle a full-time workload, but definitely scoop up the Jets' talented second-year TE if available on the waiver wire.

SOURCE: Ethan Greenberg on Twitter.

Oct 24, 2019, 11:11 AM ET

4 games suspended 

3 games OUT with a Hammy

When or where is the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow? I feel like one of the Sharks on ABC when they start whining about not being able to see clearly how they will ever recoup their money...I'm starting to feel that way here. 

He is only in Year 2, new head coach, the season has sailed. 

4 games suspended 

3 games OUT with a Hammy

When or where is the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow? I feel like one of the Sharks on ABC when they start whining about not being able to see clearly how they will ever recoup their money...I'm starting to feel that way here. 

He is only in Year 2, new head coach, the season has sailed. 
I scooped him up weeks ago after I busted on OJ Howard. Thank God I snatched up Gerald Everett too. I'll hang in there on Herndon a little longer since the upcoming schedule is very good after this week.

I scooped him up weeks ago after I busted on OJ Howard. Thank God I snatched up Gerald Everett too. I'll hang in there on Herndon a little longer since the upcoming schedule is very good after this week.
I went Henry-Dissly-Everett-Herndon...I cut Henry Week 1 when there were reports he was being put in IR, I moved on or so I thought. I then learned he wasn't but it got to be too late and we can only carry 2 TEs. Dissly was great then he went on IR, now I have same as you. I don't trust Everett and Rams, his production comes at the expense of others that I think eventually will surge and his role reduced. but if Herndon can get out there finally, we can see what might develop. I have my doubts even though I own him. 

Chris Herndon (hamstring) will remain a limited participant at Friday's practice.

Herndon is inching closer to a return, though it doesn't appear it will happen in Week 8, as beat reporter Brian Costello "doubts" the second-year tight end will suit up against Jacksonville. Reserve tight end Ryan Griffin has been keeping the seat warm for Herndon, who tweaked his hamstring sometime during his four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

SOURCE: Brian Costello on Twitter

Oct 25, 2019, 10:55 AM ET

I wanted a sample return before he comes back, hopefully for the Miami game, because NYJ haven't exactly been utilizing the TE even with Darnold.

With Darnold, Griffin has gone 4/3/10/0 (Buf) and 3/3/28/1 (Dal), and 2/1/1/0 (NE, which I'm writing off).

Mess of a year for Herndon. Darnold viewed him and Crowder as safety outlets, Herndon's space was just more downfield than Crowder's. Hurts the Jets big time, hurts Darnold.

Mess of a year for the Jets and injuries. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the team wasn't really that well run. 

Chris Herndon (hamstring) has been downgraded to out for Week 8.

Herndon was never going to play through his doubtful tag. Ryan Griffin will continue to start Sunday against the Jaguars. Herndon has a chance to return in Week 9.

Oct 26, 2019, 1:50 PM ET

Is this dude boycotting the ####fest known as the Jets or what?

In one league I am "reverse streaming" (tm) at TE. To those that don't know, thats essentially going to the wire every week, racking your brains and looking desperately for some type of bare bones production at TE.   THE DIFFERENCE IS - you are reverse streaming. So basically anyone you pick gets 3 points or less.    :wall:

In said league, I have streamed these luminaries, and somehow managed to find essentially their worst weeks and trotted them out.  Thus far, I have streamed these players.............  TYLER EIFERT  2.70 , TJ HOCKENSON  .70 , TJ HOCKENSON again  .10 , GREG OLSEN .50 , GREG OLSEN 0.00 , GREG OLSEN 5.20 , TJ HOCKENSON 3.20 , GERALD EVERETT 1.5

Grand total of 13.90 points at the TE position for the year, and 1.73 average points per week.  (yeah I know PTTS)  :ptts: Just thought this was humorous.

Anyhow, I keep wondering if Herndon will return. The Jets are just bad enough where they need to throw less than 20 yards downfield, right in Herndon's (whomever at TE) wheelhouse.

I think for some of us, he could be a real breath of fresh air and the opportunity is great rest of season.....especially the schedule.

But this guy needs to get on the field.

TZM

In one league I am "reverse streaming" (tm) at TE. To those that don't know, thats essentially going to the wire every week, racking your brains and looking desperately for some type of bare bones production at TE.   THE DIFFERENCE IS - you are reverse streaming. So basically anyone you pick gets 3 points or less.    :wall:

In said league, I have streamed these luminaries, and somehow managed to find essentially their worst weeks and trotted them out.  Thus far, I have streamed these players.............  TYLER EIFERT  2.70 , TJ HOCKENSON  .70 , TJ HOCKENSON again  .10 , GREG OLSEN .50 , GREG OLSEN 0.00 , GREG OLSEN 5.20 , TJ HOCKENSON 3.20 , GERALD EVERETT 1.5

Grand total of 13.90 points at the TE position for the year, and 1.73 average points per week.  (yeah I know PTTS)  :ptts: Just thought this was humorous.

Anyhow, I keep wondering if Herndon will return. The Jets are just bad enough where they need to throw less than 20 yards downfield, right in Herndon's (whomever at TE) wheelhouse.

I think for some of us, he could be a real breath of fresh air and the opportunity is great rest of season.....especially the schedule.

TZM
There are 7 or 8 legit tight ends this year.  If you don't have one of those, you can't even consider cutting Herndon.  The alternatives on the waiver wire are laughably bad.  I still think Herndon has elite potential.  He looked great last year for a rookie.  Sam Darnold could use a safety valve like Waller has been for Carr.

TZM
God, I'm not sure I want to follow your lead lol. 

Yep, I'm looking at adding him back in one league. 

Users who are viewing this thread