What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The migrant caravan (1 Viewer)

I feel like this country is like a family that has more children than they can handle. It would be irresponsible to have more
Why do you feel this way?  What experiences have you had that lead to this conclusion?

I live in a city that has had a declining population every census since 1960.  I welcome immigrants to Baltimore and hope that more of them can revitalize the city, especially in areas that were essentially abandoned decades ago.

Everyone has family from 1635. I’m surprised no one took me to task for that! How many were already Americans was my point. My guess is that my heritage is tied to the potato famine and industrial revolution. I only know of one side as far back as westward expansion. I’m excited about my ancestry dna gift I received.
:mellow:

Why do you feel this way?  What experiences have you had that lead to this conclusion?

I live in a city that has had a declining population every census since 1960.  I welcome immigrants to Baltimore and hope that more of them can revitalize the city, especially in areas that were essentially abandoned decades ago.
Hard questions to answer Z. I’ve never thought of it, but I come from a state that has doubled in size over the course of my life. How about moving some current Americans into the neighborhood that could use the same opportunity. I empathize with all humanity, but I care most for Americans.

Exactly what hole do I find myself in?
Your somewhat inarticulate comment was interpreted by Saints, myself and others that all your family on both sides arrived here in 1635.

Trying to spin it as meaning that everyone alive has family who lived in 1635 is disingenuous and was the hole you dug and have continued to dig deeper in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your somewhat inarticulate comment was interpreted by Saints, myself and others that all your family on both sides arrived here in 1635.

Trying to spin it as meaning that everyone alive has family who lived in 1635 is disingenuous and was the hole you dug and have continued to dig deeper in.
My you are a fiesty one. The mistake I made was not being clear and consise by specifying American family and admitted as such in a prior post. You misunderstood the point and I can see why. Have you read all of my replies? I was suprised no one called me on my gaffe. Spin? Please.

My you are a fiesty one. The mistake I made was not being clear and consise by specifying American family and admitted as such in a prior post. You misunderstood the point and I can see why. Have you read all of my replies? I was suprised no one called me on my gaffe. Spin? Please.
Feisty? Moi?

:boxing:

What policies could we inact to render the goal of a physical wall obsolete? Where people only come to this county in safety and have the rights and responsibilities of current citizens, not second rate, hand me down jobs and neighborhoods? There should be sacrifice to be American, but it shouldn’t be life threatening. If we do happen to figure it out, what do we do with the people that continue to enter improperly?

And before someone says I was fortunate to be born here and have sacrificed nothing, I say this. Most of us have punched a clock, and sacrificed a portion of it to the American cause for years. Some of us have given much more than money. That should count for something compared to just showing up to the party. Especially if your hand is out. 

What policies could we inact to render the goal of a physical wall obsolete? Where people only come to this county in safety and have the rights and responsibilities of current citizens, not second rate, hand me down jobs and neighborhoods? There should be sacrifice to be American, but it shouldn’t be life threatening. If we do happen to figure it out, what do we do with the people that continue to enter improperly?
We could run a babrwire fence, about 9 feet tall, rows of wire spaces 8" apart, and behind the fence, every 1/2 mile, put up a guard tower that houses a Marine or Army sniper with a Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle?  If they make it through, give a 50k check and a job.

We could run a babrwire fence, about 9 feet tall, rows of wire spaces 8" apart, and behind the fence, every 1/2 mile, put up a guard tower that houses a Marine or Army sniper with a Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle?  If they make it through, give a 50k check and a job.
I can see you have a good start on the holiday evening. Best wishes in the coming year.

Sure. People come to this country with pockets full, ready to contribute to their favorite charity. Happens all the time.

So you want to murder people.  Mods really need to do a better job of letting you keep making accounts.

I'm thinking a $50K bounty on the scalp on individuals who are convicted a third time (three strikes and you're out!) for employing illegal migrants would fix all our problems, for a mere few million.

Eric Dietrich-Berryman, Virginia Beach

I trudged Germany’s highways in the autumn of 1945, headed for Berlin ahead of the Soviets coming to take over the rural Harz region where we lived as the war ended. We walked for weeks. My mother told me it was three months.

Food was unavailable. We gleaned fields. Drinking water was scarce. Men with guns stopped us. Barbed wire. Go back. Stay where you are. Go here. Go there. Wait. A U.S. sentry post deloused us with blasts of white powder. A cloud of dust exploded, and I howled.

We slept in bombed-out buildings. We slept on pine straw in forests. Thousands of us. All ages. In any sort of weather.

No one has ever wanted to come to America more than I. At the age of 17, unaccompanied, I succeeded. Sixty years of living here hasn’t erased the white-hot need that drove me. That caravan dragging itself to our border should be given refuge, medical support, food, clean beds.

Undesirables can be sorted on site. Identifying bad actors was a job I had once as a U.S. Army military policeman/interpreter in Berlin in 1959-1960. Doesn’t take rocket science. Create a sieve that won’t let them scatter. Sort them out one at a time. Ellis Island made it work then. So can we now.

They are me, 73 years ago. Starvelings infested with lice. Let them in with a smile and with open arms. Wash their feet. Wash their faces.

Sheriff Bart said:
So you want to murder people.  Mods really need to do a better job of letting you keep making accounts.
I think the mods would find that I'm an original.  

I think you may need to quit taking my comments so "seriously ", when I state an actual position, I'll support it with relevant facts and statistics.  

I think the mods would find that I'm an original.  

I think you may need to quit taking my comments so "seriously ", when I state an actual position, I'll support it with relevant facts and statistics.  
I asked some honest questions. I didn’t take you seriously at all, but would appreciate an honest answer.  We have lame laws in place right now, either in concept or enforcement. They are not preventing desperate people from risk taking, but encouraging it. I wasn’t trying to be facetious, but judging from your response, you may have thought I was.

I asked some honest questions. I didn’t take you seriously at all, but would appreciate an honest answer.  We have lame laws in place right now, either in concept or enforcement. They are not preventing desperate people from risk taking, but encouraging it. I wasn’t trying to be facetious, but judging from your response, you may have thought I was.
I'm no Mel Brooks when it comes to satire, I'll try harder next time.

This issue of undocumented immigrants has changed over the years. It used to be a debate over what to do about the millions of undocumented people already in this country, whether their presence is a benefit or detriment, and whether our southern border is properly secure. All of these are reasonable questions and good people on all sides used to raise valid points. 

Now however, in the age of Trump, there is no debate. We are told that these people are rapists and murderers and the cause of drugs. We are told that they pass easily over our southern border and when they get here, in addition to being criminals, they immediately make use of our social programs. We are told that the Democrats want this in order to have these people vote Democrat, often illegally. We are told that the only solution is an imposing large wall on our southern border, and unless this is agreed to, the government will shut down. And even this is not enough: legal immigration needs to be changed and heavily restricted to people with more economic means and not from poorer countries. 

Against this sort of talk, there is no reasonable debate and discussion. IMO all a reasonable person can do is say “no” and try to fight it. 

Mister CIA said:
I'm thinking a $50K bounty on the scalp on individuals who are convicted a third time (three strikes and you're out!) for employing illegal migrants would fix all our problems, for a mere few million.
This alludes to the ol cut em off at the source strategy. No enforcement on that one. We should consider the other end. Where the caravans originate. By what I’ve read, South America is a rough place and getting worse. We dump resources across the pond to Europe, Asia, and the Middle East that could be used the improve a continent we are connected with. Can anyone tell me what is like on Mexico’s southernmost border? How is that crossing for the migrants?

Pardon my ignorance. I assumed South Americans were more prominent, and I still wonder how they get here, but the caravans are Central American and I apologize. I still think helping our neighbors prosper in the place they were born, and most likely would stay if they could, is a good way to attack the problem. Too much corruption and lawlessness. Our current powers that be are no help with that. We are on our own.

. I still think helping our neighbors prosper in the place they were born, and most likely would stay if they could, is a good way to attack the problem. .
This is true. Although I still think it’s not a problem. But we absolutely should do this, and in such a way as to increase trade. Unfortunately our current President is moving in the opposite direction. 

The problem is not the migrants, but the smugglings, crossings, exploitations and the danger and violence they present

Users who are viewing this thread