Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

The migrant caravan

2 hours ago, Dooook said:

We could run a babrwire fence, about 9 feet tall, rows of wire spaces 8" apart, and behind the fence, every 1/2 mile, put up a guard tower that houses a Marine or Army sniper with a Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle?  If they make it through, give a 50k check and a job.

I'm thinking a $50K bounty on the scalp on individuals who are convicted a third time (three strikes and you're out!) for employing illegal migrants would fix all our problems, for a mere few million.

2 hours ago, Dooook said:

We could run a babrwire fence, about 9 feet tall, rows of wire spaces 8" apart, and behind the fence, every 1/2 mile, put up a guard tower that houses a Marine or Army sniper with a Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle?  If they make it through, give a 50k check and a job.

No more Call of Duty for you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Eric Dietrich-Berryman, Virginia Beach

I trudged Germany’s highways in the autumn of 1945, headed for Berlin ahead of the Soviets coming to take over the rural Harz region where we lived as the war ended. We walked for weeks. My mother told me it was three months.

Food was unavailable. We gleaned fields. Drinking water was scarce. Men with guns stopped us. Barbed wire. Go back. Stay where you are. Go here. Go there. Wait. A U.S. sentry post deloused us with blasts of white powder. A cloud of dust exploded, and I howled.

We slept in bombed-out buildings. We slept on pine straw in forests. Thousands of us. All ages. In any sort of weather.

No one has ever wanted to come to America more than I. At the age of 17, unaccompanied, I succeeded. Sixty years of living here hasn’t erased the white-hot need that drove me. That caravan dragging itself to our border should be given refuge, medical support, food, clean beds.

Undesirables can be sorted on site. Identifying bad actors was a job I had once as a U.S. Army military policeman/interpreter in Berlin in 1959-1960. Doesn’t take rocket science. Create a sieve that won’t let them scatter. Sort them out one at a time. Ellis Island made it work then. So can we now.

They are me, 73 years ago. Starvelings infested with lice. Let them in with a smile and with open arms. Wash their feet. Wash their faces.

Edited by Henry Ford
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

So you want to murder people.  Mods really need to do a better job of letting you keep making accounts.

I think the mods would find that I'm an original.  

I think you may need to quit taking my comments so "seriously ", when I state an actual position, I'll support it with relevant facts and statistics.  

10 hours ago, Dooook said:

I think the mods would find that I'm an original.  

I think you may need to quit taking my comments so "seriously ", when I state an actual position, I'll support it with relevant facts and statistics.  

I asked some honest questions. I didn’t take you seriously at all, but would appreciate an honest answer.  We have lame laws in place right now, either in concept or enforcement. They are not preventing desperate people from risk taking, but encouraging it. I wasn’t trying to be facetious, but judging from your response, you may have thought I was.

8 minutes ago, KickinT said:

I asked some honest questions. I didn’t take you seriously at all, but would appreciate an honest answer.  We have lame laws in place right now, either in concept or enforcement. They are not preventing desperate people from risk taking, but encouraging it. I wasn’t trying to be facetious, but judging from your response, you may have thought I was.

I'm no Mel Brooks when it comes to satire, I'll try harder next time.

23 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

All sides of your family got here in 1635? No one on either side arrived here more recently? That’s very, very unusual.

The fathers side only.  My moms side emigrated from Canada about 150 years ago.  

• Like 1

This issue of undocumented immigrants has changed over the years. It used to be a debate over what to do about the millions of undocumented people already in this country, whether their presence is a benefit or detriment, and whether our southern border is properly secure. All of these are reasonable questions and good people on all sides used to raise valid points. 

Now however, in the age of Trump, there is no debate. We are told that these people are rapists and murderers and the cause of drugs. We are told that they pass easily over our southern border and when they get here, in addition to being criminals, they immediately make use of our social programs. We are told that the Democrats want this in order to have these people vote Democrat, often illegally. We are told that the only solution is an imposing large wall on our southern border, and unless this is agreed to, the government will shut down. And even this is not enough: legal immigration needs to be changed and heavily restricted to people with more economic means and not from poorer countries. 

Against this sort of talk, there is no reasonable debate and discussion. IMO all a reasonable person can do is say “no” and try to fight it. 

15 hours ago, Mister CIA said:

I'm thinking a $50K bounty on the scalp on individuals who are convicted a third time (three strikes and you're out!) for employing illegal migrants would fix all our problems, for a mere few million.

This alludes to the ol cut em off at the source strategy. No enforcement on that one. We should consider the other end. Where the caravans originate. By what I’ve read, South America is a rough place and getting worse. We dump resources across the pond to Europe, Asia, and the Middle East that could be used the improve a continent we are connected with. Can anyone tell me what is like on Mexico’s southernmost border? How is that crossing for the migrants?

3 hours ago, KickinT said:

Can anyone tell me what is like on Mexico’s southernmost border? How is that crossing for the migrants?

Ask Mexico, Belize and Guatemala

Pardon my ignorance. I assumed South Americans were more prominent, and I still wonder how they get here, but the caravans are Central American and I apologize. I still think helping our neighbors prosper in the place they were born, and most likely would stay if they could, is a good way to attack the problem. Too much corruption and lawlessness. Our current powers that be are no help with that. We are on our own.

9 minutes ago, KickinT said:

. I still think helping our neighbors prosper in the place they were born, and most likely would stay if they could, is a good way to attack the problem. .

This is true. Although I still think it’s not a problem. But we absolutely should do this, and in such a way as to increase trade. Unfortunately our current President is moving in the opposite direction. 

The problem is not the migrants, but the smugglings, crossings, exploitations and the danger and violence they present

I’m sorry to say, but the money being procured by both sides will most likely perpetuate the problem.