What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Significant Others & FF (1 Viewer)

Football Jones

Footballguy
I've often wondered how the FF dynamic plays into relationships. It's not like this is a passing hobby. You pretty much have to stay engaged to do well.

Are they ok with FF? Depending on how many leagues you're in, it can be quite time consuming if you want to be super-competitive.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Get your spouse involved--bottom line. 

I have played FF for 26 years--I have been with my wife for 30 years. I have two long-term leagues--and she is in one of them and has won 3 out of the past 5 years. I literally have to tell her "Do we have to watch this Sunday night game," because she is so competitive. 

The secret to a successful relationship is to find a way to include your significant other in your interests somehow. I love to collect sports cards--so I got my wife hooked on non-sports cards and (when they were younger) my kids on Pokemon cards. Anything you can do together, brings you closer.

I have played FF for 26 years--I have been with my wife for 30 years. I have two long-term leagues--and she is in one of them and has won 3 out of the past 5 years. I literally have to tell her "Do we have to watch this Sunday night game," because she is so competitive. 

The secret to a successful relationship is to find a way to include your significant other in your interests somehow. I love to collect sports cards--so I got my wife hooked on non-sports cards and (when they were younger) my kids on Pokemon cards. Anything you can do together, brings you closer.
The exact opposite of "you do your thing & I'll do mine".

I think either way will work, but having a SO interested in FF would be interesting.

My wife at the time, we played in the same league. It was a friendly rivalry. Then we divorced and we played in the league together for two more years. Didn't care if I won the championship, just had to beat her. And I did :pickle:

Same here.  Been together 15 yrs and she’s been in my longest running super competitive main league for 10yrs.  She the only women in the league and is always finishing in the top half.  Love having her in.  

I can't think of this woman's name right now (it's on the tip of my tongue), but she commishes some leagues & is one of the better known female FFers.

I caught an interview of her one time & when asked if she looks for a guy who plays FF (she's single & attractive), she was like, "HELL no". LOL. She's in the "do your thing & I'll do mine" camp.

If one SO has a serious hobby, I definitely believe it's best if the other half has one, as well. 

Having the same hobby is an interesting dynamic. If you can do it without killing it each other, it could be a really good thing (as a couple people have attested to). 

I can't think of this woman's name right now (it's on the tip of my tongue), but she commishes some leagues & is one of the better known female FFers.

I caught an interview of her one time & when asked if she looks for a guy who plays FF (she's single), she was like, "hello no". LOL. She's in the "do your thing & I'll do mine" camp.

If one SO has a serious hobby, I definitely believe it's best if the other half has one, as well. 

Having the same hobby is an interesting dynamic. If you can do it without killing it each other, it could be a really good thing (as a couple people have attested to). 
She just didn't want to encourage more advances from Magic Football Nerds.

I caught an interview of her one time & when asked if she looks for a guy who plays FF (she's single), she was like, "hello no". LOL. She's in the "do your thing & I'll do mine" camp.

I see this a lot more often among triathletes or ultra runners, and even some work together. In some ways it's awesome, race together, have similar friends and a shared passion. 

But I like having our space to do our thing, come back together for other stuff we enjoy. Time apart is often a good thing. 

I see this a lot more often among triathletes or ultra runners, and even some work together. In some ways it's awesome, race together, have similar friends and a shared passion. 

But I like having our space to do our thing, come back together for other stuff we enjoy. Time apart is often a good thing. 
Yeah, that's kinda what I'm leaning to as the ideal situation.

If your SO lives with you, especially, doing a time consuming hobby together may not allow each other enough "independence".

Like you alluded to, time apart can be a good thing. 

Football Jones said:
I've often wondered how the FF dynamic plays into relationships. It's not like this is a passing hobby. You pretty much have to stay engaged to do well.

Are they ok with FF? Depending on how many leagues you're in, it can be quite time consuming if you want to be super-competitive.

Any thoughts?

Been married to my wife for 12 years, together for 15. We met in the middle of football season.  I told her on the 2nd date that I am heavily invested in football and if she couldn't deal with that we should just end it now.  She accepted and we are still going strong.  She will watch some football (if looking up at the screen to see the score while watching netflix counts), but has no desire to get into fantasy football.  Even though she gives me some grief time to time she understands that Sundays from September to February is my time and football will be on.

Man I tried that once / my wife had Aaron Rodgers and he went down early in a game. We got in a “fight” because she wanted to put in her backup and didn’t understand why that wasn’t allowed since the Packers got to use their backup. 

I've been playing fantasy football for 24 yrs.  I'm approaching my 19th anniversary.  Guess which wins if push comes to shove... 

Seriously, she doesn't really care.  Although she gives me dirty looks when she sees me logged into FanDuel.  She doesn't care about me playing fantasy football, poker, blackjack, etc... but somehow Fanduel is gambling and I shouldn't be doing it.  Sometimes she isn't very logical.

My wife watches football every sunday with us and asks about my team. My two kids play in the same league I am in and is always telling me I should let them win when we play each other.  Lol. 

Bottom line is she takes an interest in something I enjoy but that she doesn’t really fully comprehend because she’s supportive of my interests, especially when I win a bunch of loot (like last year) and bring her someplace nice with the winnings. 

She has no interest in playing though. 

:no:  not in my case anyway. 

But she does love football, although her interest is more college. But it means she doesn’t mind having the Red Zone channel on all day on Sunday. 

:no:  not in my case anyway. 

But she does love football, although her interest is more college. But it means she doesn’t mind having the Red Zone channel on all day on Sunday. 
Mine knows enough about football but isn't a huge fan, except she has become a big fan of the Tide since living here. 

But she loves basketball, which works better with my Alma mater anyway.

ETA: college, we both are ambivalent about the NBA

I'm not serious enough for it to be an actual issue. But if I wanted a hobby to share with my wife I would take up purse and shoe shopping....

Maybe a "do your thing & I'll do mine" type of thing is best.
This is where I am at.  Today my fiancé asked me what a safety was.  I told her it is when an offensive skill player waves the towel they have hanging from their waist to get the 2points.  She repeated it to me and I laughed so hard, but she just thought she was saying it wrong so off she went with the knowledge of what a safety is.

Married 22 years ... been playing ff most of those.

She's always been a Patriots fan but initially she didn't get the ff thing. Now she's asking me "who are we rooting for in this game?".

Today, after 28 scores, she asks me "...is James White in your lineup?"

"Yes dear. James White is ALWAYS in my lineup"

I have a laptop open when were watching tv together and I can get some ff time in at work so it doesn't really take away from us doing stuff together.

Football Jones said:

Any thoughts?

When I see posts like this I realize there is a world of people I just can't relate to.

May I suggest that if FF is ever anything more than a passing hobby, FF has become a problem in your life.  You have a problem... it isn't a "dynamic", it is a personal problem.

When I see posts like this I realize there is a world of people I just can't relate to.

May I suggest that if FF is ever anything more than a passing hobby, FF has become a problem in your life.  You have a problem... it isn't a "dynamic", it is a personal problem.
You’re putting your own spin on it, LOL.

I could’ve used a number of phrases, but I chose “passing”. Another way to look at it is there are hobbies that might be more serious & some less serious (less serious hobby = “passing” hobby).

FF consumes quite a bit of time for some people & managing time with your SO is certainly a dynamic.

It’s not rocket science.

Some people spend a LOT more time on FF. 

I guess it’s like anything else. You have to make decisions on what you do with your free time.
What could you possibly be doing with any significant amount of time.. you don't have to research anything anymore.  Your phone alerts you to anything you need to know real time.

What decisions are you making with your free time that makes FF time consuming?

What could you possibly be doing with any significant amount of time.. you don't have to research anything anymore.  Your phone alerts you to anything you need to know real time.

What decisions are you making with your free time that makes FF time consuming?
I didn’t say I spent an abundance of time on it.

It’s more about FF, itself, as it relates to your SO.

It really comes down to how many leagues you play in. I no longer play in more than a few so my time is less than many in the hobby.

I didn’t say I spent an abundance of time on it.

It’s more about FF, itself, as it relates to your SO.

It really comes down to how many leagues you play in. I no longer play in more than a few so my time is less than many in the hobby.
Still doesn't answer the question.

If you were in 100 leagues.... same applies.  You quite literally don't "do" anything anymore aside from read emails and tweets as they come through.  Once upon a time I get it.. these days it is effortless.

I guess you have to click a bunch of buttons for 100 leagues? 

If you were in 100 leagues.... same applies.  You quite literally don't "do" anything anymore aside from read emails and tweets as they come through.  Once upon a time I get it.. these days it is effortless.

I would guess it would be more watching football to much and ignoring the spouse. Thursday, the entire day Sunday and then Monday night.  Then if you are actually dumb enough to tell her/whine about your teams and how much cash you waste on it.  

Each league is it's own entity, that's why.

Do you ever talk trade? That's league-specific.

Do you ever put in for a waiver pickup(s)? Not all leagues have the same FAs available.

Do you ever engage people in the league? 

And so on.

It's not all about setting your starting lineup, but you knew that.

Each league is it's own entity, that's why.

Do you ever talk trade? That's league-specific.

Do you ever put in for a waiver pickup(s)? Not all leagues have the same FAs available.

Do you ever engage people in the league? 

And so on.

It's not all about setting your starting lineup, but you knew that.
Do I ever? Yes.  

Would I ever to an extent that I am concerned about a dynamic in real life? No.

matuski said:

Yeah, I don't really care about OPM's take on it, you have to act in each league and mean it. 

My wife does not really care about football, but has been the commish of a "fantasy widows" league for a few years now.  She seems to enjoy that.  She was cursing about Kareem Hunt last night.

No you don't.
Yeah, I should've clarified. Depending on how many leagues you're in & how you want to assimilate info, I can see doing well with limited time.

Still, that wasn't really my point. Whatever time you DO take out for FF, it's a dynamic with your SO.

It might not be a big dynamic, but I was simply curious to hear some stories.

Again, the fact it's a dynamic isn't rocket science. I just wanted to find out how others manage it.

Yeah, I should've clarified. Depending on how many leagues you're in & how you want to assimilate info, I can see doing well with limited time.

Still, that wasn't really my point. Whatever time you DO take out for FF, it's a dynamic with your SO.

It might not be a big dynamic, but I was simply curious to hear some stories.

Again, the fact it's a dynamic isn't rocket science. I just wanted to find out how others manage it.
When I played, I looked over stuff at the office for about five minutes.  That is all that really is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread