What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vrabel is just a donkey (1 Viewer)

Sasgaard

Footballguy
I'm no coach but what a horrible call. That guy has the brains of an oyster. Your team is on a 2 game losing streak, you score a TD with 30 seconds left, a PAT ties the game to go to overtime and what do you do, you go for two. Really? Your team played really well in the second half and you do this?

Wow, some of you might disagree but what a horrible call in my opinion. I know he's going to say, yeah, I trust my offense, I trust my QB...blah blah blah...Vrabel got a brain fart on this one.

If you are 1-5 yeah go for it.  If you are 3-3 and tied for the division lead you kick the extra point.  Terrible.
Exactly, you are 3-3, your team lost the last two games, your team was the best team on the field in the second half, take the freaking PAT and go to overtime. This is the type of call that ruins a team in my opinion because today, he showed that he reacts with his balls and not his brain and that's not what a head coach should be doing. Terrible call.

Don't think it was that bad but I would've kicked the extra point.  Was probably thinking on the road he'd go for the win. But their offense isn't that great. Yeah maybe go for it if you're Pitt, NE or KC or a team like that.  Of course if it worked there wouldn't be any second guessing.

Don't think it was that bad but I would've kicked the extra point.  Was probably thinking on the road he'd go for the win. But their offense isn't that great. Yeah maybe go for it if you're Pitt, NE or KC or a team like that.  Of course if it worked there wouldn't be any second guessing.
when you have an attack that has ran poorly and you are 3-3 fighting for the top of the division, you don't piss away a win because you wanted to show your corones...there is nothing in my opinion in this decision that makes sense. No way...

I mean, they’re both on the road within that context, no?

Love the call, but you’re at the .5 yard line.  Run Henry!  Vrabel should be left in London for that stupidity.

He is not good.  But Lefleur is worse and Vrabel hired him.  Hard to downgrade from Mularky but the Titans somehow figured out a way. Smh

Last edited by a moderator:
The PAT is no longer automatic, so you have to account for the less than 100% chance of making the kick, plus the 50% chance of winning in overtime.

Taken together, your chances of winning are slightly lower than the 50% chance of getting the 2 point conversion.

The PAT is no longer automatic, so you have to account for
good point, don't disagree with that but.......his team dominated the second half. They played better than the Chargers, they had the momentum going into overtime, statistically speaking, going for two with a struggling offense who's looking for confidence wasn't the right call....They would have made it, it still would have been the wrong call. if they don't make the playoffs by one win, this one is going to hurt.

you guys are missing the point, it's not about making the kick or making the two points conversion...the result is completely irrelevant here...we are talking about the call itself. It was 100% the wrong call based on multiple points already made in this thread.

When he saw 4 WR set, he should have called for the XP and spent some time with the OC OR called his own punch it in play. That was a clear sign the OC was clueless there

sorry, but if you see the Vrabel post-game, he said if there was 1:30 left, he woulda kicked the PAT.  Huh????  If you are willing to try and stop the Chargers with that much time left, why not do the same with only 30 seconds?  That just made Vrabel decision sound even worse.

The PAT is no longer automatic, so you have to account for the less than 100% chance of making the kick, plus the 50% chance of winning in overtime.

Taken together, your chances of winning are slightly lower than the 50% chance of getting the 2 point conversion.
Succup is an excellent K under 50. He had a long streak end last year and has been rock solid. Because he missed a 51 yarder earlier should have meant nothing. I disagree that the XP isn't automatic

There are some games/sports where “math” is over rated.   I play a lot of basketball.  I’ve seen players that are really bad shooters get hot and have days where everything they throw up in the air goes in the hoop.  Math might dictate “hey-that guy is a 25% 3-pt shooter—don’t feed him the ball there”—but when somebody is in the zone—you disregard math.   There are instances where the “eye test” and “common sense” can over ride math.   The Seahawks not running the ball with Lynch at the goal line in the super bowl is an example. Many people claimed that the “math” supported the play call to pass—but I’d argue that common sense should have trumped math there too.  I don’t care if the math supported going for 2 in this game.   You have momentum—you could have kicked a shorter point after—why not show your team that you have faith in their ability to pull off a win in OT?   Going for 2 seemed like a move fueled by weakness not strength.  

I don't mind going for the win but hate the passing in the middle of the field play.  They should have run the ball.  

sorry, but if you see the Vrabel post-game, he said if there was 1:30 left, he woulda kicked the PAT.  Huh????  If you are willing to try and stop the Chargers with that much time left, why not do the same with only 30 seconds?  That just made Vrabel decision sound even worse.
I 100% agree with him.  Leading by one with 1:30 is not that big a deal. Leading by 1 with 30 seconds left is huge. Being tied with 1:30 left you're still trying to defend against a field goal.  Being tied with 30 seconds left the opponent can take a couple shots and then kneel if they want to go to ot.  Can't kneel if you're trailing.

I don't love or hate the decision to go for 2 at the end. However, that was a really bad play call and formation.

Should've had Henry on the field. Even if they wanted to pass, having him there would have affected how SD defended the play. Just an awful play call.

I 100% agree with him.  Leading by one with 1:30 is not that big a deal. Leading by 1 with 30 seconds left is huge. Being tied with 1:30 left you're still trying to defend against a field goal.  Being tied with 30 seconds left the opponent can take a couple shots and then kneel if they want to go to ot.  Can't kneel if you're trailing.
I disagree.  Leading by 1 with either 1:30 or 0:30 means Chargers need a FG.  If you aren't willing to go for two with 1:30 left, you shouldn't be willing to go for it with 0:30. TN looked better in the 4th.  Shoulda kept that momentum into OT.  Again, the AFC south is wide open.  Even a tie is important

I'm guessing the odds of winning are better gong for 2 there than kicking the pat and hoping to gut it out in ot.

No problem going for the w

The offense is bad. Therefore, it's more likely the bad offense drives the field and scores again rather than picking up a couple yards on one play? Voice of unreason, indeed
They just did it. But they already had trouble nd took them 4th down to get the td. Not brain surgery.

They just did it. But they already had trouble nd took them 4th down to get the td. Not brain surgery.
That logic still doesn't add up imo

You're saying the offense sucks but then you suggest asking the offense to do muuuuuch more is the answer to winning with a bad o.

Shrug

That logic still doesn't add up imo

You're saying the offense sucks but then you suggest asking the offense to do muuuuuch more is the answer to winning with a bad o.

Shrug
If my offense isn't great i don't put it on them to win the game on one play. I go to OT and see what happens. 

Del Rio did it a couple years ago in New Orleans and succeeded. I would argue that win catalyzed their 12-4 season.

I'm no coach but what a horrible call. That guy has the brains of an oyster. Your team is on a 2 game losing streak, you score a TD with 30 seconds left, a PAT ties the game to go to overtime and what do you do, you go for two. Really? Your team played really well in the second half and you do this?

Wow, some of you might disagree but what a horrible call in my opinion. I know he's going to say, yeah, I trust my offense, I trust my QB...blah blah blah...Vrabel got a brain fart on this one.
Going for 2 has a higher EV than kicking an XP.  XPs aren't nearly as guaranteed now that they were moved back.

The Eagles won a SB last year largely because of analytics.  The Patriots have two decades worth of success due to analytics.  It's a smart call, but people criticize it because it's unconventional to casual fans.

If my offense isn't great i don't put it on them to win the game on one play. I go to OT and see what happens. 
:lmao: what in the world?  You don't think they can get a few yards on a single play to guarantee a win, but trust they'll march down the field with no problems in OT.

When is the last time Tennessee converted a 2 pointer?
I posted this in the game thread.

@ESPNStatsInfo

The Titans have now failed on 7 straight 2-point conversion attempts dating back to the 2015 season, and they passed on all 7 of those attempts. Their last successful 2-point conversion was in Week 14 of 2015, a 30-8 loss at the Jets.

Do not disagree. I sad it in the game topic - it was a dumb call. Take it to OT with the momentum. Going for 2 there was ridiculous. Chargers have proven time and again that they choke in those situations - so even if the Chargers win the toss it’s like 50/50 they could screw it up.

so by my calculations that gives the Titans a 75% chance to win if they take the 1 for the tie. 

while some of that is me being sarcastic, I will never be convinced that they should have gone for 2 there. Ridiculous. 

They just said on the Rams 49ers broadcast Tucker hadn't missed an extra point since it was moved back

Users who are viewing this thread