What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your favorite fantasy football moment? (1 Viewer)

Truebluey

Footballguy
Watching Odell get that late TD tonight brought back this memory.

My question to you is – what’s your favorite fantasy football moment ever?

It might be a player you drafted, a league you won, a lucky game, a special play – what’s the moment you remember best from all these years we’ve been playing?

I’ll start the conversation.

My favorite memory has a date. November 23, 2014.

And I can supply the video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxbz3DDQzHU

About 6 weeks previously I had picked up Beckham on a whim after hearing Sig and Cecil raving about this guy's insane talent on their weekly waiver wire podcast (although they only had him rated as a 1% FAAB guy lol). 

He sat on my bench a few weeks but then Victor Cruz, the Giants #1 WR, goes down with a bad knee injury.

And the NEXT week, OBJ scores 20+, still on my bench. The next week was a bye. After that, I started him. And 3 weeks later, I was watching Sunday Night Football, and THE CATCH happened.

And sitting on my couch, watching football, I thought, “Damn, I think I’m gonna win the League this year”.

From week 9 on, (I looked this up), his points in PPR were:

Week 9 -  23.6, 10 -18.9, 11 - 15.3,  week12  - v. Dal 10-146  2 TD  36.4 (THE CATCH game), 13  - 16.4, 14 (rd 1)  - 30.9, 15 (rd 2)  - 42.3, 16 (Final) - 34.8.

I made the playoffs in 5th and won my league for the first time in 17 years.

If there’s a moral to this favorite memory, it’s don’t give up. I didn’t even start playing Odell until week 9 of that season, so there’s always a LOT that can happen in a fantasy football season!

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 1, 2013 Season

I start Julius Thomas at TE who was a nobody at this point. He goes off for 5 / 110 yards / 2 touchdowns.

Chris Collinsworth says on the TV, "If you started Julius Thomas on your fantasy football team, you're a genius".

LINK TO VIDEO

I look at my brother and he just shakes his head.

:lol:

I'd have say my favorite was Denarius Moore in Buffalo back in around 2011. That was when I first got into this, and something I thought was so cool. It's completely changed the way I approach football, which led to this website as a social outlet, which changed my life forever.  

Most memorable FF event, not in a game, 2003 rookie draft. I'm sitting there with the 1.04. Mcgahee and Charles Rogers were taken 1-2. I'm trying to decide whether I'll draft Palmer, Larry Johnson or maybe reach for Chris brown. (Obviously the 1.03 was going to be Andre Johnson).

1.03 pick is made, Terrence Newman. ?  Obviously IDP but even then we all knew corners weren't worth squat. 

When I drew the first overall pick in the draft this season.

There were endless possibilities and all of them were positive.

Now ask me what my least favorite moment was.

My favorite moment was a shootout in 2002 between the Chargers and Broncos. I had both Ladanian Tomlinson (round one) and rookie Clinton Portis (mid round pick who blew up that year). In a span of 12 minutes, LT2 and Portis combined for FIVE consecutive touchdowns. It was FF euphoria - the pace was blistering and no matter which team had the ball, I was feasting. ? 

Portis ended up with 190 yards and 2 TDs, while Tomlinson had 270 yards and 3 TDs. ❤️

Found the box score here

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200212010sdg.htm#all_player_offense

Never forget it. Thanksgiving Day 20 years ago.  I had Moss, Hoard, Cunningham  from the Vikings and Emmitt Smith and Jeffers from the Cowboys. 9TDS,  5 passing TDs in one game and a F-ton of yards.  I was in a 14 team league then and games like this never happened.

Scoring

VikingsRandy Moss 51 yard pass from Randall Cunningham (Gary Anderson kick)70

Cowboys Richie Cunningham 30 yard field goal73

Vikings Cris Carter 54 yard pass from Randall Cunningham (Gary Anderson kick)143

Cowboys Richie Cunningham 46 yard field goal146

3:04VikingsRandy Moss 56 yard pass from Randall Cunningham (Gary Anderson kick)216

2CowboysPatrick Jeffers 67 yard pass from Troy Aikman (pass failed)2112

0:21VikingsGary Anderson 45 yard field goal2412

3CowboysEmmitt Smith 2 yard rush (Richie Cunningham kick)2419

Vikings Leroy Hoard 12 yard rush (Randy Moss pass from Randall Cunningham)3219

Cowboys Richie Cunningham 47 yard field goal3222

Vikings Randy Moss 56 yard pass from Randall Cunningham (Gary Anderson kick)3922

4CowboysEmmitt Smith 1 yard rush (Richie Cunningham kick)3929

Vikings Leroy Hoard 50 yard rush (Gary Anderson kick)4629

1:09CowboysEmmitt Smith 4 yard rush (Richie Cunningham kick)

Wasn’t me but one I’ll never forget: Week 16 2008, championship game between two friends.  After the late afternoon games Team A has a big lead and is basically counting his winnings.  Team B has only one player left to go on SNF.  Team A owner calls me up and says, “I’m the champion, assuming Deangelo Williams doesn’t go out and score 4 TDs or something crazy like that.”

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200812210nyg.htm

Oh no! Did you take Bell? Johnson?

I was actually wondering about that the other day. I remember before the draft being not so much down on Gurley, but expecting some regression. Still, I'm pretty sure if I had gone first I would have drafted him (especially given that our draft was late and the Bell situation was already going south.)

Oh no! Did you take Bell? Johnson?

I was actually wondering about that the other day. I remember before the draft being not so much down on Gurley, but expecting some regression. Still, I'm pretty sure if I had gone first I would have drafted him (especially given that our draft was late and the Bell situation was already going south.)
Zeke. 

Loved Zeke. Love Zeke.

But man what a misstep.

Chaka said:
Zeke. 

Loved Zeke. Love Zeke.

But man what a misstep.
Obviously you'd rather have Gurley but Zeke at 1.01 doesn't feel like a team-killing mistake so far.  Definitely some concern going forward though.  I posted earlier this summer that coming into this year, Zeke had 100+ yards or a TD in every single game but one in his career.  And he did that the first four weeks this season too, but now he hasn't hit that mark in 2 of the last 3 weeks.  I still think he's great but definitely lowering expectations going forward.

This wasn't a particularly memorable real-football moment. Relatively speaking, it wasn't even that important in a fantasy context -- semis instead of finals. But it was in 2010, and I was up against my brother, who had Michael Vick going absolutely bananas in the famous DJax punt return game. Going into MNF Pats-Packers game, I'm down like 40, but I still have Brady and the Pats D, who I had picked up because Rodgers was out with a concussion and the Packers were forced to start some schmoe named Matt Flynn. I figured Pats would dominate.

Brady ended up having a sub-par game (163/2/0), while Flynn looked way more impressive (351/3/1), though he did throw a pick-six. Comes down to the final drive, Pats leading 31-27, I'm down like 1.5 pts. After an INT that would have clinched it for me gets called back, Flynn drives them down to the Pats 15 with 5 seconds left. Flynn goes back to pass, gets sacked by Banta-Cain, and Vince Wilfork falls on the ball as time expires. I think it may be the only time in all of the years I've been playing fantasy that I actually danced around the room. But it also felt a little like the ending of Rocky II; I hadn't won so much as survived that Vick performance.

(As it turned out, Yahoo's real-time stats were off slightly, and I actually would have won even without the fumble recovery. But I didn't know that in the moment. Also, I didn't realize until later how much that DJax punt return saved me; without it, Vick would have almost certainly put up more points in OT.)

Week 16, 2013.  Championship game against a co-worker.  Trailing by 20+ points going into the MNF game with Anquan Boldin and NaVarro Bowman (IDP) left to play.   Boldin got a TD early on, but late in the game 49ers were winning by 10, so little chance of Boldin getting a second.  Atlanta scored a TD at the 2 minute warning to pull within 3 and I figured that was it, 49ers run the clock out, I lose by 6 or 7 points.  But no.  Atlanta recovers the onside kick.  OK. Can they score.  Wait they can't score a TD there might not be enough time.  Best bet is Atlanta forces overtime, maybe Boldin can win it in OT or find away to get enough yards to make up the ground.   

Oh wait a 49er intercepted the ball at the 10 yard line, so much for that.  Its a linebacker, #50-something, Patrick Willis running it back probably for a TD.  About the 50 yard line I realized it was Bowman.  About the 30 yard line, I realized what that actually meant.  About the 10 yard line, I remember clearly thinking don't trip over the yard stripe.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PbHZ_N7O5g

Bowman wrecked his knee in the rematch in the NFC Championship game.  I drafted him anyway next year with my last draft pick, put him in my IR spot and named my team after him.

Week 16, 2013.  Championship game against a co-worker.  Trailing by 20+ points going into the MNF game with Anquan Boldin and NaVarro Bowman (IDP) left to play.   Boldin got a TD early on, but late in the game 49ers were winning by 10, so little chance of Boldin getting a second.  Atlanta scored a TD at the 2 minute warning to pull within 3 and I figured that was it, 49ers run the clock out, I lose by 6 or 7 points.  But no.  Atlanta recovers the onside kick.  OK. Can they score.  Wait they can't score a TD there might not be enough time.  Best bet is Atlanta forces overtime, maybe Boldin can win it in OT or find away to get enough yards to make up the ground.   

Oh wait a 49er intercepted the ball at the 10 yard line, so much for that.  Its a linebacker, #50-something, Patrick Willis running it back probably for a TD.  About the 50 yard line I realized it was Bowman.  About the 30 yard line, I realized what that actually meant.  About the 10 yard line, I remember clearly thinking don't trip over the yard stripe.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PbHZ_N7O5g

Bowman wrecked his knee in the rematch in the NFC Championship game.  I drafted him anyway next year with my last draft pick, put him in my IR spot and named my team after him.
I remember that game. I didn't have any stake in it, but I remember watching and noticing there was a random consolation game in my league where each team had multiple guys going, and there were huge dramatic swings in the final minute. I think one team went ahead with that defensive TD, then fell behind, then clinched it on Matt Ryan's Hail Mary INT.

Here's another good one for me.  The year was 1993.  I was stationed over in England.  This was before the internet exploded, so our commish had to use the Stars & Stripes newspaper and read the box scores about 4 days later.  I drafted a CLE WR named Michael Dyson.  He gets 33 yards and a TD in week 1.  Next week, he gets a goose egg.  And the next, and the next, so I drop him.  Later on, we all find out he had changed his name to Michael Jackson, and I had actually played against him in week 8 when he went off for 4/86/2.

I was in the Finals in 2008, and was at a Chanukkah party with my wife's extended family (second cousins and the like). 

Arizona was at New England, and it was snowing most of the day.  My league gives very large bonuses for long TDs (TD catches over 66 yards are worth 15, plus the yards)

I had Larry Fitzgerald.  Midway through the fourth quarter, the score was 47 -0 Pats.  For some reason i still do not know to this day, Fitz was still in the game in the snow, and breaks free for a 78 yard TD (a 22.8 point play).  As he is running down the field, I am jumping up and down like a crazy person in front of these people I barely knew, as they were all curious why this strange man was going nuts for a meaningless score in a game between the Cardinals and Patriots ( I live in New York).

The best part, my opponent in the title game picked immediately before me in the draft, and took Anquan Boldin who didn't play that day, leaving me to take...Larry Fitzgerald.

Clinton Portis with 218/5 around 2003 was fun. Also Priest Holmes scoring 4 td's in the first half of a game against Atlanta around 04, gets rested second half, his replacement Blaylock scores...4 tds. Remember thinking, wow, my RB could have had 8 tds today. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Forget the year, but I was sitting at the airport boarding a plane, losing my game by like 9 points, kicking myself for starting Darren McFadden, watching the game wind down towards the 2 min warning.

i’m boarding the plane and see DMC running into the pile to kill clock. 

Flew 5+ hours to NY, go off the plane & saw that DMC had taken the ball one last time....and busted through the pile and ran for a loooooong TD to the end zone for a TD. 

That was one of my favorite moments. 

My absolute favorite though was at last year’s draft. People will bust each other’s chops about picks, or say “good pick”, which roughly translates to “glad you took him & not me.” - but when a buddy of mine picked, I said, “there’s a pick”.

he looked at me all weird, went back to his seat & kinda shook his head a little. His next 3 picks he seemed indecisive - took the clock down to the wire a few times, and after that 3rd pick turns to me and says, “what the hell does that even mean?!”!

I’d forgotten the comment and said, “what?”

he says”there’s a pick. Was it s good pick? A bad pick? What did you mean by there’s a pick?!?”

I was rollin. It’s not often that you win the psy-ops battles at the draft, but that was definitely one. Totally threw an experienced veteran off his game. :lol:  

Best - 2002

Fantasy Bowl. MNF I was down 22 points with only Torry Holt to go. Back then, it was standard scoring for us, so 22 seemed like a lot. I was down 12 with only a few minutes left to go and Holt scored a 72 yard TD for 13 points. 

Worst - 2011

Me and this guy Andy had two dominant teams all season, At the end of regular season, Andy gets jailed for his third DUI. He calls his mother from jail to set his lineups. I kid you not. My team is on a roll breaking scoring records. I'm up by like 80 points going into the last game of the season on Christmas night and I have the Bears replacement starting RB Khalil Bell.  Bell runs for 120+ yards, catches 4 passes for 30+ yards, but fumbles twice at the goal-line. No tds. Andy has Rodgers, Nelson, James Jones, and Jermichael Finley.  Rodgers throws for 5 tds and his players catch all 5 of them. He comes back to beat me by like 3 points. Sickest beat ever and by a guy in jail to add an extra twist of the knife. Merry freaking Christmas.  We play in week 17 to set our draft order for our NFL playoffs tournament and I crush him by over 100 points. 

Ignoratio Elenchi said:
Wasn’t me but one I’ll never forget: Week 16 2008, championship game between two friends.  After the late afternoon games Team A has a big lead and is basically counting his winnings.  Team B has only one player left to go on SNF.  Team A owner calls me up and says, “I’m the champion, assuming Deangelo Williams doesn’t go out and score 4 TDs or something crazy like that.”

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200812210nyg.htm
This is me...I had Deangelo and the guy I was playing had Steve Smith. Smith had a TD reversed and Williams (and I were benefactors) on the next play.  :towelwave:

TheWinz said:
I won't call this my favorite, because it cost me the game, but it was my most memorable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1m4y20bWuA
The only time I was ever able to get to the Cowboys game I was there.....

I  also had Westbrook and by far the best team in record and points....... his slide , in front of the endzone I was sitting in cost me my game and about $2,500 in prize pool difference.

Kick to the nuts !

Can't narrow it down to one. 3 of them stick out and I'm fortunate to be on the winning side of all of them.

1. Bears vs Cardinals MNF "we let 'em off the hook" game: I'm down 6 pts heading into the game against the league jerk (arrogant, loves to talk trash) and he has Grossman. He had spent the day gloating about his victory already. Grossman is abysmal with all his turnovers and puts up an unheard of -7 pts. I win by 1 pt. Entire rest of the league pours salt on the wound of the Grossman team afterwards because he's the league jerk. Coincidentally, a separate person who had Chicago D/ST came back from 30+ down to win that night too.

2. FF playoff missed extra point in 2007: In week 14 or 15, I was in a playoff match with a buddy and it was tight the entire day. Last player going was his kicker on either SNF or MNF. Late in the game he's down by 0.5 points and the kicker's team scores a late garbage time TD. I congratulated him on the victory as kickers missed maybe 1 XP a year back when they were from the 10 yd line. His kicker comes out and shanks the XP for -2 pts instead of +1 pt to take the lead. The kicker never gets an opportunity the rest of the game. I moved on and won the title a week or two later.

3. The shootout: Week 13 of the regular season around 2005. Buddy and I are tied atop the standings, guaranteed first round playoff byes, and are matched up in Week 13 for the regular season title with a small prize pool. Every single player on both teams exploded that day. We went on to put up the 2 highest scores in league history with me winning 186-184. And this was under standard scoring, no PPR, no flexes, no bonuses or anything. Over the years we've increased scoring with PPR, added flexes, and increased defense scoring. A few times per year we'll have a team top the 184 mark. However, when you prorate the same scoring we use today (and use a flex player on the bench) to that shootout, both of our scores were in the 230's. No one in our 20+ league history has ever cleared 230 before or since. I look back on it and can't imagine how much it would suck to put up the 2nd highest points in league history and come out with a loss that day especially with the money at stake there.

This one is easy for me. 

FFPC league from 4 years ago.  It's week 14, it's the playoffs, and for the format, the top 2 of the 4 teams in the playoffs without a bye advance.  Sunday games are done and we are behind the 2nd place team by 40 points.  His team is done and we only have 1 player left:  Julio Jones.

I was actually flying to Italy that Monday and arrived Tuesday morning.  With the time difference, my 7am arrival was just shortly after the MNF game ended.  I get out of the airport, into a taxi and as I'm waiting for the driver to load up a couple other things, I take out my phone just to see how close we ended up. 

Julio's stat line from that MNF game against the Packers:  11/259/1.  Good enough for 42 points and we move into the playoffs by less than 2 points.  Went on to finish 2nd place and cash $1500 as a result instead of $0. 

12/24/95

I'm at Riverfront Stadium watching my Bengals play the Minnesota Vikings with my brother. Adding some spice to the game is we're playing one another that week & I have Moon & Jake Reed. Early in the 2nd quarter Minnesota is at their own 49 & I get up to get a beer. Before ducking into the tunnel I stop to watch the play & it's a 51 yd TD pass Moon to Reed (50 yards plus are double points). I turn around, look up & my brother is giving me the one finger salute. ?

Bengals win the game 27-24 and the bonus QB/WR hookup wins me the game. 

Couldn't have scripted it any better!  :towelwave:

Things were looking bad for the 2004 version of team yellowdog in week 9. Down by 21 going into the Sunday night game where I had Jamal Lewis and Ed Reed (IDP) going against the Browns. I was playing the undefeated defending champs in our keeper league. Down to the final minute, still down until this happened. Down goes the Champ!

1. Bears vs Cardinals MNF "we let 'em off the hook" game: I'm down 6 pts heading into the game against the league jerk (arrogant, loves to talk trash) and he has Grossman. He had spent the day gloating about his victory already. Grossman is abysmal with all his turnovers and puts up an unheard of -7 pts. I win by 1 pt. Entire rest of the league pours salt on the wound of the Grossman team afterwards because he's the league jerk. Coincidentally, a separate person who had Chicago D/ST came back from 30+ down to win that night too.
That happened in my league as well.  Guy was up 5 and lost by 2.   Definitely the most brutal way to lose.

Priest Holmes gets injured.  Fantasy lottery ticket Larry Johnson cashes in and catapults me to unstoppable.
Same here.  Had Johnson and Edge in the backfield.  It was a guaranteed 40+ points every week.  Finished that year with only 1 loss.....when 14-1, and all my wins were by at least 15 points.  My only loss that year was in a shootout when my opponent careered.  By far my best fantasy season.

That year, my buddy was up 25 on my going into MNF, he was done, and I had Larry Johnson.   Turned out, LJ had 130 yards and 2 TDs.....in the first half.    LJ took only one half for me to get the win.  Johnson got somewhere around 45 points that night.

Buddy paid it back to me many years later when we met the in the fantasy playoffs, and he had Jamaal Charles go off for 5 TDs against the Raiders.  I was out golfing, and the texted me...."you're done". 

Years ago, I beat my brother in the super bowl by 1 point.  He played Brian Griese who gave him -2 points I believe.  He could have played Bob Griese, Johnny Unitas, Brody from Point Break, or penciled himself in and he would have beat me.  

In Las Vegas on my honeymoon in 1999. Watched this guy named Kurt Warner in week one of the NFL season sitting in the MGM sports book....had the first waiver pickup and phoned in "pick up Kurt Warner please" (remember when you phoned in your waiver pick ups and lineups?).

10 man PPR high performance scoring league

Won the title that year (went 15-1 as this was a pass heavy performance league and I had Issac Bruce and Marshall Faulk whom I drafted) and had a blast watching that mans career.

Chaka said:

Drafting Levon Bell with that pick?

Same here.  Had Johnson and Edge in the backfield.  It was a guaranteed 40+ points every week.  Finished that year with only 1 loss.....when 14-1, and all my wins were by at least 15 points.  My only loss that year was in a shootout when my opponent careered.  By far my best fantasy season.

That year, my buddy was up 25 on my going into MNF, he was done, and I had Larry Johnson.   Turned out, LJ had 130 yards and 2 TDs.....in the first half.    LJ took only one half for me to get the win.  Johnson got somewhere around 45 points that night.

Buddy paid it back to me many years later when we met the in the fantasy playoffs, and he had Jamaal Charles go off for 5 TDs against the Raiders.  I was out golfing, and the texted me...."you're done". 
I went up against Charles that year. That stank like eggs.  

don't have a good memory of these things, but i dont think i've yet been able to top seeing Trent Green's Ram backup play an exhib and deciding to handcuff him on a few of my (still analog) teams. Kurt Warner made me several large over the next few yrs

2001. I am up 21 he has 5 saints going in the last game.  Brooks, Williams, horn, Jackson and saints d.  I knew it was over but they fell apart and I won the championship. Unbelievable 

Users who are viewing this thread