Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sheriff Bart

Pipe bombs sent to Clinton, Obama & CNN. Days later a mass murder at a synagogue. Trump takes the opportunity to repeat the lie "the media is the true enemy of the people."

Explosive Devices Found in Mail Sent to Hillary Clinton and Obama

Two explosive devices were found in mail sent to former President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, the Secret Service said Wednesday.

The devices were similar to one found on Monday at the home of the billionaire philanthropist George Soros, two law enforcement officials said.

In a statement, the Secret Service said it “has intercepted two suspicious packages addressed to Secret Service protectees,” who were identified as Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama.

The device addressed to Mrs. Clinton in Westchester County was found late on Tuesday by a Secret Service employee who screens mail for her , the statement said. The package addressed to Mr. Obama was intercepted by Secret Service personnel in Washington, D.C. early on Wednesday.

“The packages were immediately identified during routine mail screening procedures as potential explosive devices and were appropriately handled as such,” the statement said. “The protectees did not receive the packages nor were they at risk of receiving them.”

The statement said the agency had “initiated a full scope criminal investigation that will leverage all available federal, state, and local resources to determine the source of the packages and identify those responsible.”

Mr. Soros’s home is in a suburb north of New York City. That device was constructed from a length of pipe about six inches long filled with explosive powder, and it was “proactively detonated” by bomb squad technicians, according to one of the officials, all of whom were briefed on the investigation.

The motive of the would-be Soros bomber or bombers remained unclear, one of the officials said, adding that there had not yet been any claim of responsibility.

Mr. Soros, who made his fortune in finance and is now a full-time philanthropist and political activist, is often a subject of the ire of right-wing groups. In recent days, some have falsely speculated that he funded a caravan of migrants moving north in Mexico.

Editors’ Picks

The Bright Future and Grim Death of a Privileged Hollywood Daughter

Solange, the Polymathic Cultural Force

A Suicidal Nanny, an Underground Industry and 3 Babies Stabbed

It is unclear where exactly the package addressed to Mrs. Clinton was sent. The Clintons and his wife have a home in Chappaqua, a suburb of New York City. They bought their 11-room Dutch Colonial home in the affluent enclave in 1999 for $1.7 million as Mr. Clinton ended his tenure in the White House. The decision to settle in Westchester County came as Mrs. Clinton was preparing to run for Senate from New York.

Facing significant debts from the legal troubles that dogged Mr. Clinton’s presidency, the Clinton’s were able to buy the house after their chief fund-raiser, Terry McAuliffe, personally secured a loan.

Edited by Sheriff Bart
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

And Obama...

JFC

Edited

Just heard this on the radio after dropping the kids off at school.   Sick and sad these people are empowered.  Somebody update the fascist thread. :(

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Total nothingburger. The only terrorists that interest me are the fictional brown ones a thousand miles from the US border.

lone wolf with mental health issues... not domestic terrorist at all, certainly not emboldened by current political rhetoric.  

• Like 4

Silence the critics = the Alt-Right mantra

Well see what our President says about these attacks. He will surely scold these and actions like these against Americans. 

3 minutes ago, Mario Kart said:

Silence the critics = the Alt-Right mantra

Well see what our President says about these attacks. He will surely scold these and actions like these against Americans. 

Maybe he’ll get around to it in a day or so when someone finally convinces him that he’s gotta at least pretend he’s the president for every American.

Edited by Bucky86

6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I’m already seeing “FALSE FLAG!” all over the internet. 

Those Democrats will do anything to distract people from news of the invading caravan.

A U.S. official says a "functional explosive device" was found at Hillary and Bill Clinton's suburban New York home.

The official says investigators believe the explosive is linked to one found Monday at the compound of liberal billionaire George Soros.

The official wasn't authorized to publicly discuss an ongoing investigation and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The device was discovered early Wednesday morning at the Clinton's home in Chappaqua, New York.

Police in New Castle, New York, who cover Chappaqua, say they assisted the FBI, Secret Service and Westchester County authorities in "the investigation of a suspicious package."

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz

Assassination attempts on political opponents are hysterical, right Herr Tucker?  By the way, a real President would take to the airwaves tonight to condemn this kind of thing in the strongest possible terms.

Edited by Workhorse
  • Like 1

There's gonna be a rush to blame this sort of stuff on Trump, and I guess that's reasonable to some degree.

But it also lets Fox News off the hook.  They've been the pushing the exaggerated and often fraudulent portrayals of Obama, the Clintons and Soros for decades.  The story today should be about the sustained damage done to America by Fox News over decades, not the mush-brained former game show host/tax cheat who aligned himself with them for selfish reasons.

Edited by TobiasFunke
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

But it also lets Fox News off the hook.  They've been the pushing the exaggerated and often fraudulent portrayals of Obama, the Clintons and Soros for decades.  The story today should be about the sustained damage done to America by Fox News over decades, not the mush-brained former game show host/tax cheat who aligned himself with them for selfish reasons.

No.  Obama, the Clintons and George Soros are all public figures, and it is completely fair game for partisan media outlets to criticize them as forcefully as they want.  If you can find an example of Fox News telling its viewers to assassinate any these folks, then that would definitely deserve condemnation.  But violence doesn't logically follow from criticism, even unfair criticism.

Edit: If you don't immediately see this, ask yourself whether you are planning to mail a bomb to Tucker Carlson, or whether your post might reasonably be construed as inciting somebody else to mail a bomb to Tucker Carlson.

Edited by IvanKaramazov
  • Like 1

Just now, IvanKaramazov said:

No.  Obama, the Clintons and George Soros are all public figures, and it is completely fair game for partisan media outlets to criticize them as forcefully as they want.  If you can find an example of Fox News telling its viewers to assassinate any these folks, then that would definitely deserve condemnation.  But violence doesn't logically follow from criticism, even unfair criticism.

Disagree.

And it's not "criticism".  It's lying.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Workhorse said:

Assassination attempts on political opponents are hysterical, right Herr Tucker?  By the way, a real President would take to the airwaves tonight to condemn this kind of thing in the strongest possible terms.

Or at least a tweet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Workhorse said:

By the way, a real President would take to the airwaves tonight to condemn this kind of thing in the strongest possible terms.

I'm sure Trump -- the guy who wants to imprison his political opponents and cheers violence against journalists -- will get right on this.

Edit: Unlike Fox News, Trump actually does deserve a huge amount of blame for creating a culture where political violence is encouraged.  He's not alone, but he's definitely the single person most directly responsible for getting us here.

Edited by IvanKaramazov

of course people believe it is fake.  They have been brainwashed to believe everything is fake.  Even the truth is fake and facts aren't really facts.

Hell I am surprised Sanders said anything about it even if she doesn't believe a word she is saying

Just now, Sheriff Bart said:

Trump won't condemn any of this right? 

WH received a package too. So perhaps he will, but only that one...

15 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Edit: If you don't immediately see this, ask yourself whether you are planning to mail a bomb to Tucker Carlson, or whether your post might reasonably be construed as inciting somebody else to mail a bomb to Tucker Carlson. 

Couple problems with this.  One, Fox News doesn't present itself as a "partisan media outlet," even if it is one. Its foundational premise was to be the antidote to allegedly partisan news reporting at CNN and the networks. Remember "we report, you decide" and "fair and balanced"?  Viewers are led to believe that their portrayals of Obama, Clinton and Soros are perhaps coming from a conservative perspective but are newsworthy and fact-based. Some are, but many are not.

Two, related and probably more important- having the right to criticize public figure doesn't absolve you from responsibility from the consequences of doing so in a way that's misleading or fraudulent. I don't think you could hold me accountable for my post if someone mailed a bomb to Tucker Carlson (even if it was broadcast nationally instead of just a message board post), because what I said was a mixture of truth and reasonable opinion.  If on the other hand I went on national television and pushed a fraudulent baseless story that Tucker Carlson had a Fox News intern murdered because the intern leaked damaging information about Fox News to Wikileaks (as Fox News did with Clinton and Seth Rich), I think you could start connecting the dots.

Edited by TobiasFunke
  • Like 2

How often do actual working explosives get sent? 

Aren't they most of the time packages with flower and crap in it?

Edited by Bucky86

I have been mocked on this site for suggesting that ever conflating rhetoric, from both sides, will eventually lead to bad outcomes.  I have been told that escalation from the right must be met, and potentially exceeded, by rhetoric escalation on the left.  Meet fire with fire I have been told when I advocated cooler heads, rationality, and leadership by example and maturity.

I do not understand a game of chicken where both polarities rush headlong towards a cliff, ever accelerating in the dark of night,  in vehicles with no headlights nor working brakes. 

I am confident I will be mocked or dismissed yet again.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, whoknew said:

The White House already did condemn it.

Didn't see that. Good. 

Wait, did Trump condemn it or was this some official statement from "the White House"?   I hope it was Trump. 

And besides we know that Republicans would never do anything to deflect attention away from the election.  Like promise to vote for more tax cuts on the first of November knowing that nobody will be actually working on that period.    but yeah only Democrats do that

• Like 1

Just now, Sheriff Bart said:

Didn't see that. Good. 

Wait, did Trump condemn it or was this some official statement from "the White House"?   I hope it was Trump. 

Sanders.

8 minutes ago, whoknew said:

The White House already did condemn it.

Give it 48 hours.  If history has taught us anything, it's that Trump's staff can only keep him from expressing his true feelings for so long.

Edited by ClownCausedChaos2
  • Like 1

CNN is reporting the police think it is a real pipe bomb. Similar to those found at the Clinton's and Obama's.

1 minute ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Didn't see that. Good. 

It came from Sanders.

“We condemn the attempted violent attacks recently made against President Obama, President Clinton, Secretary Clinton, and other public figures,” Sanders said in the statement. “These terrorizing acts are despicable, and anyone responsible will be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.”

Sanders referred to the perpetrators “cowards.”

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

He should be fired immediately. 

I don't get why we aren't collectively smarter.  We're weeks away from midterm, we're seeing boogeyman tactics and overt lying.  Fear and derision used to divide.  And yet guys like Tucker have a pulpit.  It's disgusting, but people watch it.  That's equally so.

4 minutes ago, whoknew said:

It came from Sanders.

“We condemn the attempted violent attacks recently made against President Obama, President Clinton, Secretary Clinton, and other public figures,” Sanders said in the statement. “These terrorizing acts are despicable, and anyone responsible will be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.”

Sanders referred to the perpetrators “cowards.”

Of course it was.  Trump is also a coward. 

17 minutes ago, butcher boy said:

This stinks to high heaven, sorry.   10 days before the midterm  election and right when the Democrats need to deflect attention away from their angry mobs getting attention.  

Ughhh!  You are so brainwashed!  Anything the Conspiracy Industry wants you to believe!  Have you stopped to think that people similarly minded who believe this crap - actually act on the crap you believe?  You will always believe the crap though, there's no logical argument that will dissuade you. 

Edited by Mr. Ham

1 minute ago, Mr. Ham said:

Ughhh!  You are so brainwashed!  Anything the Conspiracy Industry wants you to believe!  Have you stopped to think that people similarly minded who believe this crap - actually act on the crap you believe?  You will always believe the crap though, there's no logical argument that will dissuade you. 

Laughing about ANYONE having a bomb sent to them should lead to immediate termination. Of course this is Fox. It's disgusting.