What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anti-Semitism (1 Viewer)

I love your anecdotes. Thankfully in this case I've got my own personal experience spending a lot of time with Palestinians in Israel to fall back on (they had the best hash), but I enjoy it nevertheless.

But you kinda seemed to jump back and forth between talking about Jews and talking about Israel in this tale.  Please don't do that, they are not the same thing, and people conflating them is part of the problem.  I don't think you did it in bad faith or anything, just a heads up.
Seriously, Not in bad faith at all and it was not meant that way.  This is real.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please address the issue and not the poster. Didn't someone say that recently?

If you need a reminder: the issue is white Christian conservatives co-opting anti-Semitism to make bad faith accusations against Democratic congresswomen in order to stir up Islamphobia for political gain, and how incredibly repulsive it is when they do so.
I have always thought that correctly naming a thing is actually more than half way to completely addressing that thing.  Here, I believe you have correctly named or identified the thing.

Pure deflection.   The Democratic Party has a problem on their hands.  The answer appears to be butwhatabout tiki torches.  

I am not a white nationalist.  I am pro-America/pro-traditional Judeo-Christian values/pro-Trump. 
You should try reading what people actually say.  If you ever do, you'll see the reply is more along the lines of "oh, NOW you care about these things?"  Pointing out hypocrisy <> whataboutism.

I worked in Dearborn MI at Ford World Headquarters which has the highest Arab population in the country for over 15 years and the community Tlaib is from...no if,ands or buts, the Palestinian people I knew from the community and basically most Arabs in general hate jews, and I mean hate and don`t hide it.   You can sugar coat it all you want but it is true. So for Tlaib this is a feeling that I am sure she was born and raised with.

Talk to any Arab in Dearborn and bring up Israel and watch their reaction.  I used to stop at the party store that 2 guys from Iraq owned.  They were both great friendly, family guys..so one day I bring up the Israel conflict..within seconds they go all off on me.  Those eeffing jews and went on a rampage of hate that really surprised me. All I wanted was to be educated more on the conflict.  Had I shown any type of support they would have told me don`t shop here anymore.   This was in the mid 90s too. And these guys were from Iraq.   The Palestinians from Dearborn react even worse and  would celebrate if Israel was wiped out.
I have no doubt what you wrote is true, but I would still call that anti-Israeli sentiment and not anti-Semitic sentiment. I know this to be true because I have some Muslim friends, of Arab descent, who are virulently anti-Israeli (imo, irrationally so) yet are extremely friendly with individual Jews like myself, and this is true all over the Middle East as well. 

Now that being said, certain anti-Israeli tropes can merge into anti-semitism. It’s a fine line between the two and not always clear. Tlaib may very well be anti-Semitic, or someone who has said things that are anti-Semitic; I don’t know her. But in this particular instance, she didn’t. 

Yes, I agree. The issue here is the disgraceful, pathetic, rage-inducing duplicity of many conservatives who have co-opted anti-Semitism for their own Islamophobic political gain on the one hand while doing virtually everything they can to ignore of even embrace white nationalism on the other hand.  They are duplicitous bloodsuckers feeding on bigotry. This poster is merely echoing their disingenuous garbage on a much smaller stage.

You've been asked to drop the trolling accusing many conservatives of this. We get it. You showed it calling them garbage humans. Stop it or find a new board. 

I have no doubt what you wrote is true, but I would still call that anti-Israeli sentiment and not anti-Semitic sentiment. I know this to be true because I have some Muslim friends, of Arab descent, who are virulently anti-Israeli (imo, irrationally so) yet are extremely friendly with individual Jews like myself, and this is true all over the Middle East as well. 

Now that being said, certain anti-Israeli tropes can merge into anti-semitism. It’s a fine line between the two and not always clear. Tlaib may very well be anti-Semitic, or someone who has said things that are anti-Semitic; I don’t know her. But in this particular instance, she didn’t. 
Tim..most everybody is friendly one on one and as individuals.   I watched a show where they brought kids from Israel and Palestine together to play in an orchestra.  They walked in filled with hate and apprehension ..and started playing together and realized..hey we are pretty much the same.

People from Iran, Russia, don`t hate American people..in fact it is totally opposite. Governments might be enemies but the people from all over are pretty much the same.

Well not exactly. She wants a state where all the Palestinians are let back in with voting power- in other words an end to the State of Israel, since there are so many more Palestinians than Jews. Trump and Kushner want a state where the Palestinians are kept out permanently, forced to live wherever they can with no country of their own, ever. 

These solutions are not similar except that either one will result in sheer horror for generations to come. 
KD didn't answer my point on this but this is the context of the conversation. It's complicated, and I can only guess it's confusing to him. Let's just say Palestinians are a tad angry with good reason. It annoys me that Talib places the dispute about Israel around the Holocaust when as we know it predated that. Still, it's not irrelevant to the situation, certainly. I also think that Trump's/Kushner's upcoming plan poses a greater threat of harm to Israelis than Talib's beliefs, which really for anyone who's been in these discussions, are pretty standard. The goal after all is peace, but Talib and Trump alike oppose the two state solution, although obviously with different visions of what that means.

Well not exactly. She wants a state where all the Palestinians are let back in with voting power- in other words an end to the State of Israel, since there are so many more Palestinians than Jews.

These solutions are not similar except that either one will result in sheer horror for generations to come. 
Is your argument that Jews in Israel should have more representation than Palestinians in Israel, because they are Jewish?  

When you say "end to the State of Israel," I don't think that's necessarily true- it's just an end to racial/religious supremacy and denial of human rights to Palestinians.  

Blatant Falsehood 

I am just not going to say how I feel about her so you and the boys can mash the report button on me.  
Nothing I stated is false. You are proving it out here. You are unwilling to support your statements Why would you be reported if you could support your posts about her being anti Semitic?

You should try reading what people actually say.  If you ever do, you'll see the reply is more along the lines of "oh, NOW you care about these things?"  Pointing out hypocrisy <> whataboutism.
:shrug:

I and many many others never supported Tiki Torches.  How is that so difficult to grasp? 

:shrug:

I and many many others never supported Tiki Torches.  How is that so difficult to grasp? 
I don't know why you responded to my post to make this comment.  I didn't say you supported tiki torches.  I DID say it appears you aren't reading his words correctly because if you were, you wouldn't have asserted what you did in the post prior :shrug:  

Very different because in the case of South Africa black people already lived there, represented 90% of the population,  and were denied the vote. Also, the leaders of the African National Council had not spent 70 years calling for the extermination of every white South African. 

There are no good analogies to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, IMO. 
You’re saying Palestinians didn’t already live there?

You’re saying Palestinians didn’t already live there?
The majority of Palestinians she is referring to, the ones who live in Gaza and the West Bank, have never lived in the state of Israel. Many of their grandparents did, though it was not the State of Israel then. 

The majority of Palestinians she is referring to, the ones who live in Gaza and the West Bank, have never lived in the state of Israel. Many of their grandparents did, though it was not the State of Israel then. 
Of course they didn’t live in a non-existent state.  

Is your argument that Jews in Israel should have more representation than Palestinians in Israel, because they are Jewish?  

When you say "end to the State of Israel," I don't think that's necessarily true- it's just an end to racial/religious supremacy and denial of human rights to Palestinians.  
The answer to your question is no, that is not my argument. 

The Israeli constitution grants equal rights to Palestinians who live in the state of Israel. Unfortunately many Israeli governments, particulalry it’s current one, violates these rights consistently. I am opposed to that. 

But I am also opposed to allowing millions of Palestinians who do not currently live in Israel to move in and change the status of the country. Israel is not a melting pot like the United States; it’s a tiny country and if it allowed these people in who are committed to its destruction, that is exactly what would occur. 

The Israeli constitution grants equal rights to Palestinians who live in the state of Israel. Unfortunately many Israeli governments, particulalry it’s current one, violates these rights consistently. I am opposed to that. 

But I am also opposed to allowing millions of Palestinians who do not currently live in Israel to move in and change the status of the country. Israel is not a melting pot like the United States; it’s a tiny country and if it allowed these people in who are committed to its destruction, that is exactly what would occur. 
Are you ok with the fact that 700,000 Palestinians were forced to flee what is now Israel in 1948, which is why they don’t live there now?

Are you ok with the fact that 700,000 Palestinians were forced to flee what is now Israel in 1948, which is why they don’t live there now?
No. I’m not. 

Without getting into details (thousand of pages have been written about this) let me say: many older Jews, including my relatives, believe that the fault lies totally on the Palestinians themselves. That is not so. Many Palestinians believe that the fault lies totally on the Zionists who forced them out. That is also not so. The truth lies somewhere in between, and it is murky and filled, as these events always are, with as much stupidity and confusion as deliberate decision making.

But that being said, what happened to the Palestinians was unjust. There is no way to right that injustice, no way to make up for it. It’s a tragic part of history. There is, however, a way to improve the lives of current Palestinians and give them a better future, and that is to provide them an independent state or states in Gaza and the West Bank, free of Israeli settlements, and with financial aid from Israel as a form of restitution. 

No. I’m not. 

Without getting into details (thousand of pages have been written about this) let me say: many older Jews, including my relatives, believe that the fault lies totally on the Palestinians themselves. That is not so. Many Palestinians believe that the fault lies totally on the Zionists who forced them out. That is also not so. The truth lies somewhere in between, and it is murky and filled, as these events always are, with as much stupidity and confusion as deliberate decision making.

But that being said, what happened to the Palestinians was unjust. There is no way to right that injustice, no way to make up for it. It’s a tragic part of history. There is, however, a way to improve the lives of current Palestinians and give them a better future, and that is to provide them an independent state or states in Gaza and the West Bank, free of Israeli settlements, and with financial aid from Israel as a form of restitution. 
Do you think the families of the 700,000 should be permitted to return to Israel and be given full voting and citizenship rights?

No. I’m not. 

So like Native American reservations?  You get to be sovereign as long as you’re poor and subjugated?

The entirety of the country needs to be declared a World Historical Treasure not subject to occupation by any people or State,.  It needs be a heritage site open to visit by all but living or occupancy by none.  Both sides win and both sides lose. The Palestinians need seek and be given a homeland elsewhere.  A homeland with sufficient resources to fully compensate them as a people and individuals.  The same with the Jews.  I say we give the Jews Alabama and the Palestinians Utah.  If those populations are uprooted I don't really see them having a world wide constituency to take up their cause. (I apologize to my Jewish friends that they will have to clean up a lot of meth sites before moving in but we all need to make sacrifices.)

I don't know why you responded to my post to make this comment.  I didn't say you supported tiki torches.  
Correct. 

I think he's responding to being trolled here by other posters with stuff like "The issue here is the disgraceful, pathetic, rage-inducing duplicity of many conservatives who have co-opted anti-Semitism for their own Islamophobic political gain on the one hand while doing virtually everything they can to ignore of even embrace white nationalism on the other hand."

That type of trolling kills any chance at discussion and results in things like this where you're trying to have a real discussion but he's apparently responding to other things. 

The entirety of the country needs to be declared a World Historical Treasure not subject to occupation by any people or State,.  It needs be a heritage site open to visit by all but living or occupancy by none.  Both sides win and both sides lose. The Palestinians need seek and be given a homeland elsewhere.  A homeland with sufficient resources to fully compensate them as a people and individuals.  The same with the Jews.  I say we give the Jews Alabama and the Palestinians Utah.  If those populations are uprooted I don't really see them having a world wide constituency to take up their cause. (I apologize to my Jewish friends that they will have to clean up a lot of meth sites before moving in but we all need to make sacrifices.)
Ideally Dome of the Rock / Western Wall is like that.

On the historical and archaeological scale what has happened in Iraq & Syria has been tragic.

Could you explain what "destruction" means here?  That's an odd term that needs some unpacking.  

You support open borders and helping refugees from Syria, Latin America, etc., when it comes to the United States.  Why not expand the same principle to Palestinians, who are subjected to military checkpoints, artificial food/water/electrical shortages, and being bombed regularly?  Shouldn't the principle of refugee status and a path to citizenship be granted to them too, if Israel really was a democratic society and you truly did believe in those principles?

The two-state solution is dead Tim.  There are two choices here: equality for all, or a racist apartheid state.  

Correct. 

I think he's responding to being trolled here by other posters with stuff like "The issue here is the disgraceful, pathetic, rage-inducing duplicity of many conservatives who have co-opted anti-Semitism for their own Islamophobic political gain on the one hand while doing virtually everything they can to ignore of even embrace white nationalism on the other hand."

That type of trolling kills any chance at discussion and results in things like this where you're trying to have a real discussion but he's apparently responding to other things. 
That sort of wishcasting and obfuscation is just as bad.  I'll be clear here though, while I do throw out opportunities like that in the off chance it sparks a real discussion, I don't expect one to occur and I think that's exactly why he responds the way he does.  It's just another flavor of trolling as far as I can see.  This is just like the attempt to say "he just called me a racist" when the comment was clearly saying "you might not be a racist, but you're overlooking racism (or at minimum putting it at a very low priority) when you support X".

Could you explain what "destruction" means here?  That's an odd term that needs some unpacking.  

You support open borders and helping refugees from Syria, Latin America, etc., when it comes to the United States.  Why not expand the same principle to Palestinians, who are subjected to military checkpoints, artificial food/water/electrical shortages, and being bombed regularly?  Shouldn't the principle of refugee status and a path to citizenship be granted to them too, if Israel really was a democratic society and you truly did believe in those principles?

The two-state solution is dead Tim.  There are two choices here: equality for all, or a racist apartheid state.  
First off I reject the analogy of the United States. If the USA was the size of Vermont and surrounded by enemies on all sides, I certainly would not be for open immigration. The immigrants who come to this country want to be part of our system, they want the freedom and the economic and social opportunities. And we have plenty of room for them. Those are the key differences. 

Second, why is the two state solution dead? Because the current leaders on both sides reject it? Sorry that’s not compelling to me. It remains the only solution that can bring about a peaceful resolution. I don’t agree that Israel is currently a racist Apartheid state. It may very well become that, it’s making moves in that direction, and if it ever happens that will be the end of my support for Israel, sadly. I’m not at that point yet (closer than I’ve ever been in my life though.) But your solution (and Ms Tlaib’s) is completely unworkable. 

So you are with Ralph Waldo Emerson.  Me too, at times.  I say that I am not guilty of hypocrisy, but rather that I am comfortable with paradox, which is, of course, my hypocrisy.
I’m certainly guilty of hypocrisy, and double standards, and paradox, all the time. 

But, given that the Israeli- Palestinian situation is somewhat unique in history, I don’t think I am guilty in this instance. 

Germany sees 'extremely alarming' rise in racist and anti-Semitic hate crime

Xenophobic and anti-Semitic hate crime rose by nearly 20 percent in Germany last year, according to the latest Interior Ministry data published Tuesday.

In its report, the ministry listed 7,701 xenophobic criminal acts, a jump of 19.7 percent compared to 2017.

Anti-Semitic offences totalled 1,799 after a similar increase. Almost 90 percent of perpetrators had a right-wing extremist background, Interior Minister Horst Seehofer told a press conference.

I’m certainly guilty of hypocrisy, and double standards, and paradox, all the time. 

But, given that the Israeli- Palestinian situation is somewhat unique in history, I don’t think I am guilty in this instance. 
Perhaps it is unique.  A people being dispossessed of their land does not strike me as unique, but as a commonality of human history.  Religious claims, sincere and otherwise being involved, again, not unique as I see it, but perhaps.  All of this generated by the last remnants of euro-expansion and colonialism, petro interest, and attempted genocide of the people already in a diaspora, that is unique.  That the Jews were hunted even in exile of thousands of years, persecuted for religion and culture, purged once off of their land (or the land) and well removed, that is something I do not believe I could find a parallel for.  Still when boiled down from the Palestinian view, not so unique while from the Jewish view, certainly unique.  therein lies the seeds of discord I believe will always be unresolvable.  I hope note. A hundred Sadats, a hundred Begins, a hundred Golda Meiers could not solve this.  Still, history is full of the unexpected, of swings unanticipated.  My doubts do not preclude solutions, they simply speak to me.

Perhaps it is unique.  A people being dispossessed of their land does not strike me as unique, but as a commonality of human history.  Religious claims, sincere and otherwise being involved, again, not unique as I see it, but perhaps.  All of this generated by the last remnants of euro-expansion and colonialism, petro interest, and attempted genocide of the people already in a diaspora, that is unique.  That the Jews were hunted even in exile of thousands of years, persecuted for religion and culture, purged once off of their land (or the land) and well removed, that is something I do not believe I could find a parallel for.  Still when boiled down from the Palestinian view, not so unique while from the Jewish view, certainly unique.  therein lies the seeds of discord I believe will always be unresolvable.  I hope note. A hundred Sadats, a hundred Begins, a hundred Golda Meiers could not solve this.  Still, history is full of the unexpected, of swings unanticipated.  My doubts do not preclude solutions, they simply speak to me.
It’s not the dispossession that makes it unique, it’s what happened afterwards. The history of the Palestinian people from 1949 to now is what is highly unusual and has no real analogy. 

It’s not the dispossession that makes it unique, it’s what happened afterwards. The history of the Palestinian people from 1949 to now is what is highly unusual and has no real analogy. 
Eh, Poland. East Prussia/Kaliningrad. Tibet. Crimea. There may be others. It's just how people view things.

I will have to take your word for this as I am not student of history.  I do seem to recall some American Indian Tribes early on trying to regain their lands and them being suppressed again and given different legal status than the occupiers,  I remember the reading of the ghost dances.  I understand the aboriginal peoples of Australia had some similar movements and that they for a long time had different legal status in their homeland.  I have always felt that the situation was unique in Israel, but I have a hard time putting my finger on precisely what makes it unique.  You will forgive me for searching for reasons. I guess I have always fallen back on the unique hate evidenced by pursuing genocide even across time and countries as the diaspora dispersed.   That ongoing hunting seems the ne unique factor I can identify, though I am sure there could be others as well.

Not really seeing parallels. 
I think the issue is dispossession from land for ethno-religious-ideological reasons? Post WW2 saw massive shifting of populations. (eta - Stalin outright stole Crimea from the Tartars and China has aggressively repopulated and depopulated Tibet). I'm not diving into this debate, at least not here, but I do think it's interesting how occupations are not all the same apparently.

I think the issue is dispossession from land for ethno-religious-ideological reasons? Post WW2 saw massive shifting of populations. I'm not diving into this debate, at least not here, but I do think it's interesting how occupations are not all the same apparently.
Imagine the next great migrations caused by say, warming or cooling of the planet.  Populations will move, will compete for space and resources.  I suppose there are implications here for that future, whether distant or near.

Imagine the next great migrations caused by say, warming or cooling of the planet.  Populations will move, will compete for space and resources.  I suppose there are implications here for that future, whether distant or near.
There are, and still war is a factor. Right now Assad is carving Turkimen out of ancient Aleppo. It would be nice if in this post-WW2 period our institutions were developed and reliable enough to manage our own failures. These migrations you speak of are a very possibility. Human history is littered with them and they lead to conflict. What will we do? Nationalism is not the answer.

I don't know why you responded to my post to make this comment.  I didn't say you supported tiki torches.  
Correct. 

Why do you consider Tobias' statement to be "trolling"? Is it just because he used the phrase "many conservatives"?

(If so: if he had named several prominent conservatives and then listed examples of their duplicity, would you have still considered the above statement to be "trolling"? Why?)

If we're going to redefine "trolling" as "using a sweeping generalization", then it's going to put a lot of prominent_posters out of business.

Why do you consider Tobias' statement to be "trolling"? Is it just because he used the phrase "many conservatives"?

(If so: if he had named several prominent conservatives and then listed examples of their duplicity, would you have still considered the above statement to be "trolling"? Why?)

If we're going to redefine "trolling" as "using a sweeping generalization", then it's going to put a lot of prominent_posters out of business.
For whatever it’s worth (not that anybody asked me), I think accusations of trolling are leveled far too often.

Tobias’s post was excessively inflammatory in rhetoric and possibly in substance, but I think he believed every word of it. He wasn’t trolling. He wasn’t insincerely claiming something he didn’t believe simply to waste another person’s time or to get a rise out of someone. He was stating his heartfelt opinion using gratuitously incendiary language.

That may justify a suspension for not being excellent, but it’s starkly different from trolling.

For whatever it’s worth (not that anybody asked me), I think accusations of trolling are leveled far too often.

Tobias’s post was excessively inflammatory in rhetoric and possibly in substance, but I think he believed every word of it. He wasn’t trolling. He wasn’t insincerely claiming something he didn’t believe simply to waste another person’s time or to get a rise out of someone. He was stating his heartfelt opinion using gratuitously incendiary language.

That may justify a suspension for not being excellent, but it’s starkly different from trolling.
I don’t see his style as trolling.  It’s more condescending and unexcellent.  The kind of thing you can’t say in the real world without having to worry about getting into a fight.  

I don’t see his style as trolling.  It’s more condescending and unexcellent.  The kind of thing you can’t say in the real world without having to worry about getting into a fight.  
I am guessing it has been 40 years or more since I got into a physical altercation over a difference of opinion.  But perhaps by fight you were not suggesting a physical altercation.  did I jump to a conclusion and miss the designated landing spot. 

I am guessing it has been 40 years or more since I got into a physical altercation over a difference of opinion.  But perhaps by fight you were not suggesting a physical altercation.  did I jump to a conclusion and miss the designated landing spot. 
I haven’t either but if someone gets in my face calling me racist, liar, Nazi, misogynistic, pro-rape, etc. that the left get away with here I’m not so sure I could hold back.  

The kind of thing you can’t say in the real world without having to worry about getting into a fight.  
Assuming this is true, isn't that one of the advantages of having discussions in this forum? I write a lot of things here that I would be uncomfortable saying in the real world because I don't want to get into confrontations.

knowledge dropper said:
Maybe so, this may have been discussed in the Israel-Palestine thread. Just a follow up - Did you watch the video? I didn't realize the Reuters report actually does not have the full quote, which surprises me. She actually at the start of that discussion mentions the moment of silence that is held throughout Israel, Israeli Palestinians (I suspect most) like all Israelis I believe stand for 2 minutes of silence IIRC in remembrance of the Holocaust. I actually did post a video of that in the Israel-Palestine thread. After watching that interview in the link you provided I'm absolutely certain that's the 'quiet feeling' she is referring to there.

Users who are viewing this thread