What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR N'Keal Harry - CHI (1 Viewer)

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah said Arizona State WR N'Keal Harry reminds him of Dez Bryant.

Jeremiah writes, "Harry reminds me of Dez Bryant with his ability to play above the rim." Harry (6'0/228) lacks a second gear according to NFL Film's Greg Cosell, but his ability to win with the ball in the air and win on underneath routes have most analysts very intrigued. Other common comparisons for Harry are Alshon Jeffery, Allen Robinson, and JuJu Smith-Schuster.

SOURCE: Daniel Jeremiah on Instagram

Mar 24, 2019, 1:08 PM

Heard another fantasy podcaster (who I really don't think is any more knowledgable than any of us- especially on draft stuff) say he doesn't get the appeal of Harry. He said he has gone back for a 3rd time to watch and he doesn't see anything appealing about him. Does he have the wrong number or something when he is watching ASU games? I don't get how anyone can watch some of his plays this year and think he's not good. 

I know this is weird, but my biggest issue with him is that he’s from Arizona State. I live in Phoenix, and it just seems so strange that an elite skill position player would be from ASU. That never happens.

It’s just a mental block I’m trying to get past.

I've been back and forth on Harry vs Metcalf vs Brown and I think I've made my predraft decision on who I would prefer. It's a matter of getting the draft over at this point. I've seen mocks that make me excited about each of these guys, as well as scenarios where I'd probably pass completely. 

However, to watch Harry and act like you dont understand the hype... that's nuts. Chris Simms left him off his top 5, which is surprising. However his top 5 were basically the order in which guys ran the 40 (or were predicted to in Marquis Browns case)

I know this is weird, but my biggest issue with him is that he’s from Arizona State. I live in Phoenix, and it just seems so strange that an elite skill position player would be from ASU. That never happens.

It’s just a mental block I’m trying to get past.
He had a bit of an unusual background. He was born in Canada but then moved at a young age to the Grenadines. His family then sent him with his grandmother in Arizona because they recognized his athletic gifts and wanted him to try out some sports to see if he had a future. He chose football and became a 5 star recruit with offers from lots of big schools (USA, Oregon, etc) but he wanted to stay in the area near his grandmother. 

Ilov80s said:
Heard another fantasy podcaster (who I really don't think is any more knowledgable than any of us- especially on draft stuff) say he doesn't get the appeal of Harry. He said he has gone back for a 3rd time to watch and he doesn't see anything appealing about him. Does he have the wrong number or something when he is watching ASU games? I don't get how anyone can watch some of his plays this year and think he's not good. 
I think I heard the same podcast and thought the exact same thing. Don’t believe it. Shocking as it is people are sleeping on Harry. He’s actually undervalued right now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I heard the same podcast and thought the exact same thing. Don’t believe it. Shocking as it is people are sleeping on Harry. He’s actually undervalued right now. 
How can he be undervalued when everyone is calling him a top 3 pick?  And I'm seeing 1.01 more and more.

I don't get the consensus opinion on him.  I could understand why he's in the discussion.  I could understand a certain percentage ranking him top 3 or even 1.01. But his profile is not strong enough to warrant the slam dunk, race to the podium type selection I keep reading on here.  

This year as much as any in recent memory, all these rankings should be written in invisible ink until after the actual draft.  Draft capital and landing spot will far and away be my top two factors when parsing between these prospects.  Getting stuck on anyone at this point seems nuts to me, these prospects are all over the place.

How can he be undervalued when everyone is calling him a top 3 pick?  And I'm seeing 1.01 more and more.

I don't get the consensus opinion on him.  I could understand why he's in the discussion.  I could understand a certain percentage ranking him top 3 or even 1.01. But his profile is not strong enough to warrant the slam dunk, race to the podium type selection I keep reading on here.  

This year as much as any in recent memory, all these rankings should be written in invisible ink until after the actual draft.  Draft capital and landing spot will far and away be my top two factors when parsing between these prospects.  Getting stuck on anyone at this point seems nuts to me, these prospects are all over the place.
I think we meant more for the team NFL draft. There’s people saying there are 5 better WRs or that he’s a 3rd round player.

I know I'm down on the guy relative to the rest of you guys, but I don't see how this is a feather in his cap.
I'm trying to get my head around it too. I'm not going to pretend I know more than these guys who do it for a living. as often as they are wrong, I'm probably wrong more. I was quite proud of my 2018 success though :)

I think we meant more for the team NFL draft. There’s people saying there are 5 better WRs or that he’s a 3rd round player.
There are a ton of good WR prospects in this draft.  He could EASILY end up outside the top 5.  And I'm a Skins fan, we desperately need a receiver, and I would sure hope that we don't burn a 1st or 2nd on him.  The depth of the position should push the lower ceilings guys down.

There are a ton of good WR prospects in this draft.  He could EASILY end up outside the top 5.  And I'm a Skins fan, we desperately need a receiver, and I would sure hope that we don't burn a 1st or 2nd on him.  The depth of the position should push the lower ceilings guys down.
Your sentiment is exactly my point

Your sentiment is exactly my point
Put Harry in the Skins and I promise you'll be terribly disappointed.  We are not a franchise to nurture WRs the way the need.  Deebo, maybe Marquise would have a decent shot with us.  They would fit our system.  You put guys like Metcalf, Harry, or Butler on our squad and we'll all have a bad time.  Basically any type of X or Y exclusive receiver will underwhelm.

^And this applies to a LOT  of teams, on both sides of the coin.  Which is why landing spot and draft capital are the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth important factors this year.  All of the prospects have pretty big flaws.

Put Harry in the Skins and I promise you'll be terribly disappointed.  We are not a franchise to nurture WRs the way the need.  Deebo, maybe Marquise would have a decent shot with us.  They would fit our system.  You put guys like Metcalf, Harry, or Butler on our squad and we'll all have a bad time.  Basically any type of X or Y exclusive receiver will underwhelm.

^And this applies to a LOT  of teams, on both sides of the coin.  Which is why landing spot and draft capital are the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth important factors this year.  All of the prospects have pretty big flaws.
I agree landing spot matter immensely. I like a lot of WRs in this draft. We disagree in the size of the flaws 

I agree landing spot matter immensely. I like a lot of WRs in this draft. We disagree in the size of the flaws 
It's not like I'm out on some limb here.  His official draft profile is "chance to become an NFL starter".  We'll see when he goes though soon enough.  Maybe everyone is sandbagging the perceived lack of interest.

I'm just saying, we can all take the next month off and just wait.  There's not much else to be gained at this point.

It's not like I'm out on some limb here.  His official draft profile is "chance to become an NFL starter".  We'll see when he goes though soon enough.  Maybe everyone is sandbagging the perceived lack of interest.

I'm just saying, we can all take the next month off and just wait.  There's not much else to be gained at this point.
Agreed. Next stop nfl draft

Arizona State WR N'Keal Harry had 17 contested catches in 2018.

Harry (6'0/228) trails Stanford WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside by one catch, while tying Iowa State WR Hakeem Butler and NC State WR Kelvin Harmon on Pro Football Focus' "top prospect board". Harry doesn't have high-end athleticism, but he can track the ball well and snags the ball from the air with his "strong hands". NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah offers up Dez Bryant as a comparison with others acknowledging Alshon Jeffery and Allen Robinson as similar prospects. If Harry lands in the right offense, he has a chance of being the most impactful receiver in this loaded draft class, even if he's the third or fourth receiver off the board.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Mar 25, 2019, 8:44 PM

I think the biggest question mark for Harry is how his game will translate to the NFL.  He's shown propensity to win contested catches, but is that because he is not athletic enough to win/get himself open?  Are his routes so bad that he can't shake defenders?  Is he just a jump ball-type receiver who will be a red zone threat and little else?

His breakout age looks tremendous, but I would like to see him go to a team that has proven ability to develop WRs, and there really aren't that many of those.

if he is drafted into a slot role, as this article suggests, would your opinion of where he may fit in rookie drafts change?
My opinion about every single prospect in this draft will be HEAVILY influenced by landing spot and draft capital.  To the point that almost everything up until now is useless.  Like, I have 20% of the information I need to make a decision right now.

So yes, definitely.

It's the "forgone conclusion" vibe that I've objected to more than anything in this thread.  He could end up 1.01 on my board still. 

ETA- I still don't think there are many teams creative enough to get the most out of him.  Wherever he goes, I'll be listening carefully to the comments coaches make after the selection and looking closely at how they've employed receivers in their system previously.

I think the biggest question mark for Harry is how his game will translate to the NFL.  He's shown propensity to win contested catches, but is that because he is not athletic enough to win/get himself open?  Are his routes so bad that he can't shake defenders?  Is he just a jump ball-type receiver who will be a red zone threat and little else?

His breakout age looks tremendous, but I would like to see him go to a team that has proven ability to develop WRs, and there really aren't that many of those.
The whole separation thing is exaggerated. It got mentioned as a potential weakness and then everyone repeats it so many times it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy where he is now considered a slower version of Laquon Treadwell. 

He may not be Antonio Brown, but he's a reasonably agile dude. You don't have 3000 yards receiving in a power 5 conference by just catching a bunch of jump balls. 

The whole separation thing is exaggerated. It got mentioned as a potential weakness and then everyone repeats it so many times it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy where he is now considered a slower version of Laquon Treadwell. 

He may not be Antonio Brown, but he's a reasonably agile dude. You don't have 3000 yards receiving in a power 5 conference by just catching a bunch of jump balls. 
EXACTLY 

EXACTLY 
From the article:

No one can honestly make the argument that separation concerns are not a major worry for a receiver’s ceiling at the NFL level. The best wide receivers in the game consistently get open on a route-by-route basis. However, lack of elite play speed and separation concerns are not death blows to a wideout’s pro prospects, not with the game as it is today. There are ways to mitigate those flaws.

-------

Basically the whole point of the article is he has to land somewhere that accentuates his positive traits and overcomes his negatives, which are getting open against tight man.

Had 17 contested catches in 2018. Or put another way, he had 56 catches that were not contested. Because he was....cough cough.....open.
Sure, but as one of the NCAA leaders in number of contested catches I’d imagine he is on the high side of percentage of total catches as being contested.  Meaning, presumably, he’s unable to shake free as frequently as some of his peers are.  

Regardless, I too think too much is made of that now.  He’s an excellent WR prospect that is being dissected just as every prospect is at this time of the year.  I love his shake and sudden movement for a WR that big, but his inability to blow by coverage is potentially a bit of a limiting factor.  

I'd really like to see a breakdown of his performance against man vs. zone coverage.

Also I can't believe no one wants to talk about that awesome and thought provoking article.  Oh wait...

It's the "forgone conclusion" vibe that I've objected to more than anything in this thread.  He could end up 1.01 on my board still. 

ETA- I still don't think there are many teams creative enough to get the most out of him.  Wherever he goes, I'll be listening carefully to the comments coaches make after the selection and looking closely at how they've employed receivers in their system previously.
I think most of us have said repeatedly that his destination is everything. Gandalf has been about as fickle on his 1.1 as me the last 3 months, but I think that's just our thought process working itself out and I know neither one of us would commit to anyone at 1.1 until the NFL draft. In fact, I think that's been the theme in these threads that's been a foregone conclusion: it all depends on landing spot. 

No one is a definitive 1.1 this draft, but it's a real deep draft where someone could land in a good spot and 3 people in a poor spot and suddenly Butler is the 1.1.

I dont see this thread as definitive at all. it seems fairly fluid to me. Just people who dont buy into separation being as big of a deal for Harry as others 

I'd really like to see a breakdown of his performance against man vs. zone coverage.

Also I can't believe no one wants to talk about that awesome and thought provoking article.  Oh wait...
As a bit of a data junkie I don't really find a ton of value in that article.  The conclusions that you (and to a lessor extent the author) are drawing from the data don't really line up with what the data is actually showing.

The only mention of separation is that article is where he says he noticed anecdotally that he thought Harry struggled to separate at times.  But again that can easily be a self fulfilling prophecy.  You go in looking for a guy who has a narrative that he can't separate and your focus ends up on plays where he doesn't separate, regardless of whether or not that's actually happening more often than with other top receiver prospects.

All of the data in that article references only how often the position he was playing is likely to face man/press coverage compared to someone that is always lining up as the X.  It's kind of a silly thing to speculate on anyway because the actual data on how often he actually faced man/press coverage is probably out there anyway, so why even bother trying to make predictions on something you can actually physically count?

Regardless, even if he were giving us the actual numbers and not just statistical speculation, all that he's speculating on is how often he faced man/press coverage.  He's not actually giving any data on how he performed against man/press coverage, or how much separation he typically gained in those scenarios compared to other players.

In short, the article says nothing about his ability to separate other than an anecdotal side note at the start.

As a bit of a data junkie I don't really find a ton of value in that article.  The conclusions that you (and to a lessor extent the author) are drawing from the data don't really line up with what the data is actually showing.

The only mention of separation is that article is where he says he noticed anecdotally that he thought Harry struggled to separate at times.  But again that can easily be a self fulfilling prophecy.  You go in looking for a guy who has a narrative that he can't separate and your focus ends up on plays where he doesn't separate, regardless of whether or not that's actually happening more often than with other top receiver prospects.

All of the data in that article references only how often the position he was playing is likely to face man/press coverage compared to someone that is always lining up as the X.  It's kind of a silly thing to speculate on anyway because the actual data on how often he actually faced man/press coverage is probably out there anyway, so why even bother trying to make predictions on something you can actually physically count?

Regardless, even if he were giving us the actual numbers and not just statistical speculation, all that he's speculating on is how often he faced man/press coverage.  He's not actually giving any data on how he performed against man/press coverage, or how much separation he typically gained in those scenarios compared to other players.

In short, the article says nothing about his ability to separate other than an anecdotal side note at the start.
Considering I haven't seen anyone in here talk about whether he'll line up in the slot, or discuss man vs. zone tendencies, or comps to JuJu...nevermind

"In an NFL offensive landscape that’s almost unrecognizable from what we saw from the game even just five years ago" yet he uses 5 year old data.  I don't hate Harmon (Kelvin is good) but this just sounds like complete fluff and garbage excuses for a WR we "should" be high on.  I like Harry enough and agree with the article that he's more "creative" dependent than some other WR's but come on.  

ETA:  my mistake, he used data from 2014 and on not stopping at 2014.  Didn't edit my original post just correcting myself ha.  

According to numbers in the PFF draft guide, this year Harry ran 32% of his routes from the slot. From the slot he caught 22 of 29 targets (76% catch rate) for 13.8 YPT and 3.07 yards per route run. On his other routes he caught 51 of 84 targets (61% catch rate) for 8.2 YPT and 2.54 yards per route run.

Considering I haven't seen anyone in here talk about whether he'll line up in the slot, or discuss man vs. zone tendencies, or comps to JuJu...nevermind
Why would they talk about those things?

He provides no data and makes no claims that Harry is actually better in any of those scenarios that he claims Harry needs to be put into in order to succeed.

It would be one thing if he were giving us data about how Harry is much worse against man coverage and much worse against press coverage so he needs to end up with a team that is going to make sure he doesn't end up in those scenarios.  But he does absolutely none of the former.

The crux of the article is "The position that N'Keal Harry lined up in generally faces man/press coverage less often therefore Harry will need a team that doesn't put him in man/press coverage to be successful".  For all we know Harry was actually better against man/press coverage than he was against zone.  The author jumps to his conclusion without making any claims or providing any data about how Harry actually fares in man/press scenarios.  And heck, for all we know Harry played against man/press coverage more than average.  Again the author provides no data on Harry's splits, just the position he plays.

That article was like saying "Christian McCaffrey plays running back, and running backs don't usually catch 80+ passes so McCaffrey needs to land on a team that is never going to throw him the ball to be successful".

What the author is providing data on and the conclusion he draws from it are only tangentially related.  As a data geek, it was a silly article.

According to numbers in the PFF draft guide, this year Harry ran 32% of his routes from the slot. From the slot he caught 22 of 29 targets (76% catch rate) for 13.8 YPT and 3.07 yards per route run. On his other routes he caught 51 of 84 targets (61% catch rate) for 8.2 YPT and 2.54 yards per route run.
Thank you sir

Seemed like everyone said Hopkins was safe but had a low ceiling when he came out. Keenan Allen would be another one. The redskins should me Zthrilled to draft a solid wr in the first. The last good wr they took was Keenan McCardell in 1991 and he never saw the field with them.

Users who are viewing this thread