What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR N'Keal Harry - CHI (1 Viewer)

Laquon Treadwell did most of his damage in college running crossing routes and being stronger than defensive backs after the catch which led to broken tackles and decent YAC.

While i am sure Harry can win on crossing routes too, that isn't his bread and butter. He can win deep too.
Can he though?  If you're looking for a reason to not like him, watch the Oregon game.  The DB has 2 steps on him almost all game long.  Harry looks awful there.  He had 1 good route on a double move and a couple other clutch catches but his routes were far from good.  The more I watch of him, the less I like him.  

Zyphros said:
Can he though?  If you're looking for a reason to not like him, watch the Oregon game.  The DB has 2 steps on him almost all game long.  Harry looks awful there.  He had 1 good route on a double move and a couple other clutch catches but his routes were far from good.  The more I watch of him, the less I like him.  
Interesting. I admit I’m not a film grinder so I rarely look at what they can’t do. I look at what they have done. You saying Oregon shut him down by daring him to go deep? I’m curious what his combine looks like.

Zyphros said:
Can he though? If you're looking for a reason to not like him, watch the Oregon game.  The DB has 2 steps on him almost all game long.  Harry looks awful there.  He had 1 good route on a double move and a couple other clutch catches but his routes were far from good.  The more I watch of him, the less I like him.  
Yes he can win deep because he has great hands and generally good positioning on the deep balls so even if the defender is right there with him, he still can't get the ball before Harry does.

As for the Oregon game the defensive back deserves some credit, he played a very good game and in my view is just much faster than Harry is. He even has good recognition of routes at times, beating Harry to the spot. However as well as Harry is being covered, he still caught all 3 of those 20 or so yard throws, with the defender draped on him, because he knows how to stack and use timing to get position on the ball. He tracks the ball over his shoulder well. He doesn't put his hands up too quickly to give defenders a tip to when the ball is coming.

I think Harry has some great qualities. Speed and quickness are important though. i guess those are my main questions about how he will translate to the next level where he will be facing corners better than Springs, who did cover him very well in that game.

Good discussion. I think WR-Role congruence is importance. Some guys are meant for the slot, some of meant to be the the trad Dez Bryant alpha jump ball, some are field stretchers, etc.  Outside of Julio, every other WR in the league could probably find a coach dumb enough put them in a system that causes them to struggle. 

Yes he can win deep because he has great hands and generally good positioning on the deep balls so even if the defender is right there with him, he still can't get the ball before Harry does.

As for the Oregon game the defensive back deserves some credit, he played a very good game and in my view is just much faster than Harry is. He even has good recognition of routes at times, beating Harry to the spot. However as well as Harry is being covered, he still caught all 3 of those 20 or so yard throws, with the defender draped on him, because he knows how to stack and use timing to get position on the ball. He tracks the ball over his shoulder well. He doesn't put his hands up too quickly to give defenders a tip to when the ball is coming.

I think Harry has some great qualities. Speed and quickness are important though. i guess those are my main questions about how he will translate to the next level where he will be facing corners better than Springs, who did cover him very well in that game.
Absolutely credit to that DB, I'm not saying Harry can't do those things.  I like him too and he has some things he does really well like snatch the ball out the air, track the ball, and position himself.  I'm just saying that if an Oregon CB can do that to Harry then what kind of NFL CAN'T do that to him too.  

Personally I think Harry's best quality is his feet, but he doesn't use them to his advantage during his routes and he isn't explosive but his feet are pretty quick.  It's a personal conundrum that I'm fighting in my head about him.  

Good discussion. I think WR-Role congruence is importance. Some guys are meant for the slot, some of meant to be the the trad Dez Bryant alpha jump ball, some are field stretchers, etc.  Outside of Julio, every other WR in the league could probably find a coach dumb enough put them in a system that causes them to struggle. 
Never underestimate the power of a coach to ruin a career.   :lmao:

The Athletic's Dane Brugler projects Arizona State WR N'Keal Harry as an NFL starter.

Harry (6'4/213) was a productive "X" receiver for the Sun Devils in part to his plus deep ball tracking skills and physicality. Where Harry has shown a weakness is with his burst, and Brugler goes as far as saying Harry doesn't have the athleticism to "blow past corners." While that may be a fair assessment as of now, Harry will have a chance to answer these questions at the NFL Combine. Even if he doesn't impress with his 40-yard dash, Harry can be an NFL starter for the reasons listed above. Consider Harry on the Day 1/2 borderline.

Source: The Athletic 

Feb 3 - 4:47 PM

Oh, that’s right.  You saw Sutton live a few times in college and told all of us he wasn’t very good.  
He’s not as good as you guys are hyping him to be. I’m on record for being wrong before and never claimed to be a scout but yeah I was very unimpressed for a guy that was so hyped. He was shut down against high competition and excelled (padded numbers) against lower lever schools if this NOT so then post the links against high level competition in which he excelled. Give me 3 games:

Between TCU, SMU, NT, and Baylor I like to visit a few games and yeah there’s something to say about homers who visit games they provide to this board what they see and hear. No one has provided any facts that have changed my mind on Sutton. In two years we’ll see where he stands. Hell, I wish him the best just think he’s waaaay overrated for a player that accomplished nothing in college.

This one man’s opinion but i’d love for him to crack 1,000 yards a season which I think he’s ceiling might be.

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s not as good as you guys are hyping him to be. I’m on record for being wrong before and never claimed to be a scout but yeah I was very unimpressed for a guy that was so hyped. He was shut down against high competition and excelled (padded numbers) against lower lever schools if this NOT so then post the links against high level competition in which he excelled. Give me 3 games:

Between TCU, SMU, NT, and Baylor I like to visit a few games and yeah there’s something to say about homers who visit games they provide to this board what they see and hear. No one has provided any facts that have changed my mind on Sutton. In two years we’ll see where he stands. Hell, I wish him the best just think he’s waaaay overrated for a player that accomplished nothing in college.

This one man’s opinion but i’d love for him to crack 1,000 yards a season which I think he’s ceiling might be.

Tex

You really have a hard on for Sutton.  You made your position perfectly clear multiple times last season, yet you decided that you needed to reinterate that position yet again in multiple threads in the past couple of days.  Did this guy dump your sister or beat your dog or something?

My favorite WR of this good class. Now let’s see what he runs. Hopefully 4.4 ish. Then I’m taking him at 1.01

My favorite WR of this good class. Now let’s see what he runs. Hopefully 4.4 ish. Then I’m taking him at 1.01
4.4 would be incredible. I am hoping 4.57 or less. That is the Nuk, Michael Thomas, Crabtree range. Maybe 4.5 which would be AJ Green speed. 

Agreed. 4.4 was my most optimistic dream wish scenario. 
Anything is possible. Look at DJ Moore last year. He was the clear #1 WR based on the college numbers but nobody was ready for how tall he actually was and how explosive he tested. 

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah ranked Arizona State WR N'Keal Harry as his 48th overall player.

Harry is two spots ahead of Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown, who is a similar receiver prospect to the Sun Devil. Jeremiah likes how Harry's game will translate to third downs and in the red zone at the next level, citing Harry's physicality and strength as the primary reasons. When it comes to speed, Harry is just middle of the pack, but he's still an above average receiver after the catch. At Arizona State, Brown used those YAC skills as a returner, which gives him some more value. With the NFL Combine right around the corner, we'll see if Harry surprises analysts with a faster than expected 40-yard dash, which could push him into the late portion of Round 1.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 25, 2019, 6:16 PM

You really have a hard on for Sutton.  You made your position perfectly clear multiple times last season, yet you decided that you needed to reinterate that position yet again in multiple threads in the past couple of days.  Did this guy dump your sister or beat your dog or something?
Sub Sutton for Josh Jacobs and you might as well have been posting about yourself.

Someone posted that Harry is more popular with fantasy owners than with draft experts. Why is that?

Someone posted that Harry is more popular with fantasy owners than with draft experts. Why is that?
I think fantasy experts are more analytics based while draft experts are more film based. Not that Harry’s film is bad, most of the film people have him has as a late 1st-2nd rounder. However the metrics really favor Harry. His target share, yardage share, TD share and breakout age are in line with what we see out of the best NFL WRs. In simple terms, it’s rare to see a WR get that large of a share of their teams passing offense and to have contributed so significantly so young. He did it at a power 5 conference and he has prototypical NFL outside WR size. In a spreadsheet, he’s checking every box right now in a similar way Corey Davis did a couple years ago.

Ilov80s said:
I think fantasy experts are more analytics based while draft experts are more film based. Not that Harry’s film is bad, most of the film people have him has as a late 1st-2nd rounder. However the metrics really favor Harry. His target share, yardage share, TD share and breakout age are in line with what we see out of the best NFL WRs. In simple terms, it’s rare to see a WR get that large of a share of their teams passing offense and to have contributed so significantly so young. He did it at a power 5 conference and he has prototypical NFL outside WR size. In a spreadsheet, he’s checking every box right now in a similar way Corey Davis did a couple years ago.
as a Corey Davis owner this is not a very good endorsement 

Because Corey Davis can help that the Titans were 31st in passing attempts in 2018 and their QB play was bad? To put it into perspective, 3 NFL teams had 200 or more pass attempts than the Titans.

Yards per target in 2018:

D. Adams = 8.2

Davis = 7.96

Antonio Brown = 7.72

Diggs = 6.85

Gandalf said:
I’m confused. Harry seems awesome... quick, and fast with good hands and open field skills. What am I missing? Why do people think he’s slow. He’s seems fast in these clips.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2019/2/26/17916888/2019-nfl-draft-prospect-nkeal-harry-wr-arizona-state
I don't think he is a good route runner, one speed, slow coming out of his breaks and almost every downfield target I see him get he is wearing the DB on his back.

He has several positive traits to be certain, but those are my concerns.

I watched several ASU games this season and during most of them (home and away) the announcers said Harry was the close to unanimous best WR in CFB. Apparently that isn't the case?

I watched several ASU games this season and during most of them (home and away) the announcers said Harry was the close to unanimous best WR in CFB. Apparently that isn't the case?
We are talking about how a player will translate to the NFL. Many best college players flop in the NFL, in fact most of them flop

Because Corey Davis can help that the Titans were 31st in passing attempts in 2018 and their QB play was bad? To put it into perspective, 3 NFL teams had 200 or more pass attempts than the Titans.

Yards per target in 2018:

D. Adams = 8.2

Davis = 7.96

Antonio Brown = 7.72

Diggs = 6.85
Corey Davis is making the same mistakes on his route running year 2 as he was year 1. 

This is what I see on film too. I don’t get how everyone isn’t on board with him as the consensus WR1. He has it all. Maybe he just needs to show at the combine?

Davis has been disappointing but could any WR have done well last year in that offense? Others have done a good job pointing out the limitations of the Titans passing game. 

We are talking about how a player will translate to the NFL. Many best college players flop in the NFL, in fact most of them flop
Most players flop period. I would bet the best college players flop at a lower rate than the pretty good college players. If you look at the numbers for what the top 20 fantasy NFL WRs have done in college, Harry absolutely looks the part. 

Also you can’t be as productive as Harry is if he can’t run routes or get separation. He’s able to get open enough. The Oregon game he got shut down. It’s one game and maybe he was off for some reason or that CB played the game of his life. Either way you can’t be as productive as Harry has been without knowing how to get open against good college competition. 

Corey Davis's problem isn't Corey Davis.
But it is a good lesson to learn. If Harry (or Metcalf or whomever one thinks is the alpha of the class), ends up with a bad QB or a coach hellbent on playing slow/running the ball than their value can be incinerated. Although we don't always know what those situations will be since the Titans looked like a good landing spot for Davis at the time. 

But it is a good lesson to learn. If Harry (or Metcalf or whomever one thinks is the alpha of the class), ends up with a bad QB or a coach hellbent on playing slow/running the ball than their value can be incinerated. Although we don't always know what those situations will be since the Titans looked like a good landing spot for Davis at the time. 
Yes with almost every player landing spot is critical. 

This

I've seen Harry mocked to TEN in some cases. That would kill his value to me. 

Harry could end up in Baltimore, which I would reevaluate my rankings if that happened

Yes with almost every player landing spot is critical. 
I'd actually be comfortable with AJ Brown to TEN but not Harry or Metcalf. Harry and Metcalf seem like duplicates of Corey Davis in some ways, as mentioned earlier. Brown projects as a possession wr, more of a slot guy. 

I'd say AJ Brown is almost destination proof... probably the most destination proof of all the WRs

I'd actually be comfortable with AJ Brown to TEN but not Harry or Metcalf. Harry and Metcalf seem like duplicates of Corey Davis in some ways, as mentioned earlier. Brown projects as a possession wr, more of a slot guy. 

I'd say AJ Brown is almost destination proof... probably the most destination proof of all the WRs
And this is why some like Brown as the 1.01

I also think he probably has a lower ceiling than Harry or Metcalf. Those 2 guys have Julio Jones/Dez Bryant level upside. AJ Brown has Keenan Allen/Jarvin Landry upside. 

Arizona State WR N'Keal Harry ran the 40-yard dash in an unofficial 4.59 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

There was talk on the NFL Network broadcast that Harry might run as sluggish as 4.70 seconds. Instead, the 6-foot-2, 228-pounder ended up turning in a just-plain-fine sprint. That should be counted as a clear win for Harry, as his most appealing aspects -- his strength, his body control, his ability to make seemingly impossible catches -- have nothing to do with overt speed. That the speed is there on a functional level is encouraging. In addition to the better-than-expected run, the ASU wideout has also turned in a vertical jump of 38.5 inches and a broad jump of 10-foot-2. Harry will be in the mix for a Round 1 selection come April and should be off the board by the end of the second round at the latest. Strong day for Harry on the whole.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 2, 2019, 11:04 AM

He apparently interviewed well with NFL teams and he demonstrated a strong recall on the ASU playbook.

Users who are viewing this thread