What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What has lifting done for you? (1 Viewer)

Football Jones

Footballguy
I recently caught a couple threads about health problems & it made me think how lucky I am to have found weightlifting as a health aid. There's NOTHING like it as far as staying fit as you age.

I only do compound lifts & have experimented until I found programming that works for me (which is key).

More details later, but anyone else with outstanding results?

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice a huge difference between the time periods that I lift regularly and the times when I don't.

Stuck in one of those "don't lift" time periods now.  :sadbanana:   I look and feel terrible.

I recently caught a couple threads about health problems & it made me think how lucky I am to have found weightlifting as a health aid. There's NOTHING like it as far as staying fit as you age.

I only do compound lifts & have experimented until I found programming that works for me (which is key).

More details later, but anyone else with outstanding results?
how old are you and how long have you been lifting? 

Never really 'lifted' but did crossfit for a few years and felt great while i was doing it. Not sure if at 44 i can/should start true lifting, or just look for more regular exercising. Even when I tried getting back into crossfit, I was less concerned about the weight and more about the motion.

Tremendous help. Moving objects would be a lot more difficult without lifting.

*rimshot*

I miss it.  Haven’t lifted in 6 years or so.  I did more of a HI lifting program last time and I loved it.  Slimmed down to my ideal weight while simultaneously greatly improving strength and endurance.  Added in some yoga and it led to me playing indoor soccer again.  I was amazed I could still compete with people 20 years younger than me.

No space for a home gym in the new house though and I hate working out in the garage.

I don’t see why anyone at any age can’t start lifting, just take it slow.
I just started lifting regularly again 15mo ago at the age of 50.  I hadn't lifted consistently since college.

It's been great. I try to lift 3 times per week but it probably averages out to 2-2.5 times.  I definitely notice a difference and, along with a change to a Mediterranean diet, it's helped me lose a fair amount of weight while building muscle again.  I'm almost back to my healthy college weight.  Highly recommend.

No weight loss...I can't seem to outlift my fork...but I've been lifting 2-3 times a week for the last couple years and I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life and generally feel great.

Never really 'lifted' but did crossfit for a few years and felt great while i was doing it. Not sure if at 44 i can/should start true lifting, or just look for more regular exercising. Even when I tried getting back into crossfit, I was less concerned about the weight and more about the motion.
You can start at 44 easy. It's NEVER too late.

There might be a health concern that could possibly prevent somebody undergoing a strenuous weightlifting program, but they are few & far between. A bad back is no reason not to lift in the vast majority of cases. In fact, it's a reason TO lift. When you strengthen spinal erectors with squats & deadlifts, it can help pain. I'm living proof after a spinal fusion at L2-3 in the mid-90s. Doing heavy compound movements has virtually eliminated pain I've had since the surgery.

I have an athletic background & have lifted on & off over the years, but never stuck with it. I started again as a New Year's resolution & have stayed the course this time. I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life.

The bonus to a weightlifting program (besides health & wellness) is the physical changes your body undergoes (asthetics) & it doesn't take that long. I probably have good genetics, but even with mediocre genetics, your body will thicken & tighten up. I rarely do cardio, but a 20-rep max of any compound movement is great cardio (which I do for every lift each workout as the first set).

I only do compound barbell movements like squat/deadlift/bench/Pendlay row/overhead press & I also add leg press (no dumbbell work). I don't do isolation movements like curls at all. Your biceps will grow from the heavy compound movements. 

It's not easy, but a simple full-body workout (which I prefer as opposed to splits) two or three times a week will pay huge dividends. A full year of lifting will radically change your body if you work hard. I'm currently on an every other day rotating program, but you don't need to put in that much time to get good results. 

Been lifting regularly since about 2011,  but really started getting serious around 2015.  

Started with a standard 5x5, shifted to a more PPL program, and now run PHUL/PHAT type routines with a HIIT day and Yoga type day mixed in usually weekly.  

There are a zillion solid resources out there now for basically any goal you would have.  

My advice is to start light & work your way up. A traditional way of doing it is when you hit your rep goal, add 5 pounds next time.

Don't forget legs. Don't be one of those guys with a huge upper body & toothpick legs. It looks ridiculous. Balance is key.

Don't "ego lift". You'll be lifting heavier weights soon enough, but don't handle more than you can do with good form. Do what you can do & ignore everyone else. Don't be the guy in the first clip of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE7wyBGObYk&t=101s

Like @culdeus said, there's a ton of resources on the net.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Been lifting regularly since about 2011,  but really started getting serious around 2015.  

Started with a standard 5x5, shifted to a more PPL program, and now run PHUL/PHAT type routines with a HIIT day and Yoga type day mixed in usually weekly.  

There are a zillion solid resources out there now for basically any goal you would have.  
I've been using the 5x5 program since I restarted.  I'll have to look into those other routines you referenced. 

I've gotten so swoll and jacked that I'm getting calls to be John Cena's body double in an upcoming movie. I think The Rock's agent was calling too. 

:flex:

?

Been doing PHUL for about 1.5 years pretty regularly after doing nothing for way too long. I’ve made good progress, but have had to take two breaks with minor shoulder and back injuries. In the middle of a several week break now, but starting back up after some upcoming business travel is through. 

Getting a little tired of my PHUL program. What else is good?  42, medium fitness and strength, looking to continue to build muscle, get stronger, and get rid of fat. 

TIA 

I've been using the 5x5 program since I restarted.  I'll have to look into those other routines you referenced. 
5x5 works, especially in the beginning.

Lots of studies nowadays & the research shows all rep ranges up to about 20 will build size & strength. Still, there's a target range for size (higher reps) & strength (lower reps).

I typically prefer a 20/10/5/2 rep scheme for each lift (4 sets). If I do 3 sets, it's 20/8/2 & if I do 5 sets, I go 20/12/8/5/2. I don't do a traditional warmup, but the 20-rep set (which is technically a max) accomplishes the same thing in less time since it's counted as a working set. The various rep ranges hit all types of muscle fibers & I've had tremendous success.

I'm essentially still under the "newbie effect" since I only started back up January 1 (after a long layoff) so I'll eventually need more advanced programming. I do all my own programming so when the time comes, I'll likely experiment & find what works for me, but I often get ideas from resourcing the net.

Been doing PHUL for about 1.5 years pretty regularly after doing nothing for way too long. I’ve made good progress, but have had to take two breaks with minor shoulder and back injuries. In the middle of a several week break now, but starting back up after some upcoming business travel is through. 

Getting a little tired of my PHUL program. What else is good?  42, medium fitness and strength, looking to continue to build muscle, get stronger, and get rid of fat. 

TIA 
Ever tried full-body workouts? For non-professional bodybuilders (just about everyone), it's the best way to build both size & strength, IMO.

That said, there are a lot of ways to skin a cat.

i am old so i am not going to get big but i do 1 and half minute planks every hour for 10 hours a day day mwf it is straight on looking and floor planks going every other on elbows and then to full arms and then on t thr is it side planks at 30 secs left and then 30 secs right and that my friends will keep your core strong and my ruined discs hurt me like a hundredth of the time they did before i started doing this take that to the bank brobackos ps on saturday and sunday beer thats why 

love it.  started about 2 years ago.  i feel better, am stronger and look pretty damn good, at least better than most similarly aged counter parts.  :flex:  i don't lift heavy and do a lot of mixed cardio.  other than when i was a 20 something, i'm in the best shape of my life.  now i just need to work in some yoga and i'll be good

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Just really started looking in to this stuff.  42, 5'9, 205 and mounting heel, knee and hip issues.  Athletic background but no way I can play a pickup game at this point.  Hurts too much.  I was never a weight guy but I am thinking that might be the best course now.

So any tips for a newbie?

Just really started looking in to this stuff.  42, 5'9, 205 and mounting heel, knee and hip issues.  Athletic background but no way I can play a pickup game at this point.  Hurts too much.  I was never a weight guy but I am thinking that might be the best course now.

Start light & ease into it. 

I recommend linear progression for newbies which is essentially nothing more than adding 5 pounds at your next workout once you hit your rep goal for that specific lift (with whatever rep scheme you're using).

I never had core strength.  Just not in my genetics.  I am very athletic but always needed help there.  I was light but could hardly do pull ups.  

When I weight trained for a year period it made a huge difference.  I would only bench in a 10,8,6,4,2.  Reps. 10 was lighter weight, add 10 pounds, with less reps.  With 2 being the next amount you want to bench.  Nothing better than completing those last 2 without help. 

Pushups and pull ups numbers increased many after a year.

Yes this is old school.

• Smile

Create a goal plan. Reduce weights 20-30% of what you think you should do. Only do 2 sets. Do 72 hours between sessions. The first time is not the hardest. The second and third are. You will probably do less reps than session one. That's normal. By session four or five you should be able to repeat session one. Then by week 3 or 4 maybe you can do 3 sets. And really think about a regimen.

Welcome aborad.

• Smile

Anyone can lift. WAY safer than CrossFit. 

I'm 51. Did Body for Life for 18 months then switched over to Jim Stoppani for 3 years. Have a bad back from an accident but can currently deadlift 440, going for 500. I'm 5'10 198 now but was 225 4 years ago.  People think I'm 40-45. Stoppani is amazing and 9.99 a month (free for military) I think. I'll lift 4 or 5 mornings a week. 

TIA 
Most PHUL graduates fork to one of a few paths, but usually one or the other of.  

nSuns or GZLP.  

nSuns if you have lots of time and a gym with a lot of tolerance for you to hog equipment.

GZLP if you don't have quite so much time. GZLP has several flavors to meet day of week and intensity mixes.  

Both use some degree of undulating periodization which has the most trendy research backing it now.

For 99% of everyone find something in here that speaks to you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/recommended_routines

There's not really a wrong beginner program.  The 5/3/1 routines are super popular right now as well.  The before/after photos on the Monolith program for semi-intermediate types show stupid amounts of gains.  It's probably on my short list to try once the new years rush at the gym dies down a bit and I can focus.

Also the meal plan for BTM is just hilarious:

Meal 1

8 whole eggs

4 pieces bacon

4 pieces toast

2 bananas

Meal 2

1 pound ground beef mixed with marinara sauce and some kind of pasta

Meal 3

2 Double Cheeseburgers

French Fries

Meal 4

6 whole eggs

.5 pound of taco seasoned ground beef

Cheese/lettuce/tomatoes/taco sauce

Combine all of this and make egg/meat burrito

Also the meal plan for BTM is just hilarious:

Meal 1

8 whole eggs

4 pieces bacon

4 pieces toast

2 bananas

Meal 2

1 pound ground beef mixed with marinara sauce and some kind of pasta

Meal 3

2 Double Cheeseburgers

French Fries

Meal 4

6 whole eggs

.5 pound of taco seasoned ground beef

Cheese/lettuce/tomatoes/taco sauce

Combine all of this and make egg/meat burrito
Beckon The Mortician?

This diet would literally kill me, probably in less than a month.  

I don't do any particular program or anything - just have a 30 minute self-made routine at the gym I do 3x a week. Been doing it two years now, and combined with eating better, it's made a big difference. Went from a "do they have this in XXL?" 230-ish to 205-210, and added a decent amount of muscle / strength. I'm 52 and married 19 years, so all I really care about is not being feeble as I get older.  

Been lifting for 30 years...gone from heavy bench and squats in my 20s to light weights supersets for all body parts as I got older.  At 6-1 I was 225 in my 20s to 210 now and in better shape. Always adjust and change my workout.

I workout with weights 4-5 times a week..if I miss more than  a week I am miserable and grumpy.

Where are you guys working out? 

Big chain Gym? Local Average Joe place? Home-based Gym? 

Chain gyms are popping up all over by me, but I am always hesitant to even walk into one of them. 

Chain gyms are popping up all over by me, but I am always hesitant to even walk into one of them. 
Local place and have a good home set. 

stupidly fancy place, that is awesome.  

Local LA Fitness.  It’s dirt cheap and I never have to wait for a machine when I go (5am). 

Been lifting 8ish years now. Recently got my strength back after pulling my oblique doing weighted pull ups. My favorite activity for sure. 

Planet Fitness here. About as mainstream as it gets. 

I'd urge anyone starting out to build a base before worrying too much about isolation movements. I see these young guys coming into the gym & essentially all they do is isolation stuff (mainly curls). They could make much quicker & better gains with a different approach. Anything is better than nothing, but it's certainly not optimal. No beginner should have a program focused around isolation movements, IMO. Sure, throw in some curls every once in awhile, but your program should focus around compound movements.

Your initial linear progression will start to slow after a few months or so, but you can still make gains. I recommend a full year of a beginner-type program before looking into more advanced programming. Get your base, then you can do some isolation stuff if you want.

I ran what I'm doing (the big compound movements in all rep ranges) by Paul Carter, who is a guru in the field (& looks like he lifts unlike some "experts") & he said I literally couldn't be doing anything better as a beginner. I do have quite a bit of experience if you put all my time together, but I've never stuck with it for any length of time for one reason or another. I've always been interested in exercise science, though.

I just came to the realization I need to get busy. I'm very athletic & really never had to do anything to stay in good shape, but I'm 60. Even though I was in decent shape, especially for my age, I was starting to lose a little mass, felt more tired than usual, etc. Lifting consistently has made a huge change both physically & mentally.

I go every other day using an A/B format where you alternate 2 different workouts, but both days are essentially a push/pull/legs full-body workout (6 lifts total, 3 each workout). Anybody can do this & get great results if I can do it at 60. Consistency is the key. You're going to miss days, but just get back at it as soon as possible (ideally, the next day). You also don't have to workout every other day to get good results. There are all kinds of schedules & programs you can use. 

I'd be glad to help if you have questions about what I do. I notice some other posters are experienced lifters, as well. Maybe we can keep this thread going.

do you even lift?
I know you're just being snarky, but this is exactly why some people won't even set foot in a gym. 

Yes, I lift. And use some of the machines too. I even finish up on the treadmill next to the chunky housewives.

I don't care if someone goes to a serious gym, Planet Fitness, or buys a Bowflex from an infomercial. Just start - it's really good for you. 

I know you're just being snarky, but this is exactly why some people won't even set foot in a gym. 

Yes, I lift. And use some of the machines too. I even finish up on the treadmill next to the chunky housewives.

I don't care if someone goes to a serious gym, Planet Fitness, or buys a Bowflex from an infomercial. Just start - it's really good for you. 
Agreed.

I have a specific philosophy I recommend that I know works & is optimal, but bottom line, just start lifting.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
Been lifting basically since I graduated high school. I love it. The main things I would add for anyone getting into lifting would be:

1) Leave your ego at the door. Focus less on how much weight you are lifting and focus more on HOW you are lifting (i.e. your form).  Most people, in my observations over the years, lift heavier weight with bad form, and that is exactly how to injure yourself. 

2) As for how to lift with good form, search YouTube and read articles (Men's Health has a plethora of great lifting exercises/routines). Keep trying different ones until you find a bunch you like, and create your own program/rotation. 

3) You don't have to lift for hours a day. My workouts are 30-45 minutes. That's it. I use the stopwatch on my phone and generally rest 45-60 seconds between sets.  If you do this, your weight sessions kind of become cardio too. If you are lifting properly and not over-resting (I've seen guys take 3-5 minute breaks) between sets, you will be pumped and you will be tired at the end of 30-45 minutes.

4) This is the main one. DO NOT STOP. Make it a habit. No excuses. Sure, you will miss a day here and there for personal reasons. Just don't miss two days in a row. 

If you craft a routine that you LIKE and you make yourself stick with it, you cannot help but see results. 

I have young college-age guys ask me all the time what I do for a routine, what my diet is, etc. and I just laugh. My secret is I have lifted, with very few exceptions, 3-5 days a week for the last ~25 years, without fail. That allows me to eat basically whatever I want (I eat mostly healthy, but still gorge on pizza and tacos at regular intervals), and I take zero medication and have very little body fat. I do mix in a run or some sort of cardio every now and then on my days off from the gym. 

Oh and don't do JUST the machines. Machines are fine as a supplement to your routine. Free weights, though, are the best. They work all the stabilizing/balancing/supporting muscles in your different muscle groups.

Lotta heavy lifting with all of those acronyms. 

I "seriously" lifted for ~ 10years.  It started for my sports offseason/in season workouts.   THen  I was really into it most of my 20s

Was sporadic in my 30s - with new family , marriage house etc etc.

Got back into it for a couple years when I hit 40 "OMG I'm GETTING OLD"   Tried going back a couple years ago and sadly realized my "warmup weight " when I was 24.  Is all I could barely do :lol:

I keep saying I'll go back but haven't made the commitment

I don’t see why anyone at any age can’t start lifting, just take it slow.

I just started lifting regularly again 15mo ago at the age of 50.  I hadn't lifted consistently since college.

It's been great. I try to lift 3 times per week but it probably averages out to 2-2.5 times.  I definitely notice a difference and, along with a change to a Mediterranean diet, it's helped me lose a fair amount of weight while building muscle again.  I'm almost back to my healthy college weight.  Highly recommend.
These are two of my favorite quotes on this board, just for earnestness' sake. Love you guys.   

Users who are viewing this thread