What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Browns Next Head Coach - How Will They Do? (1 Viewer)

When the new coach is announced, where do you expect you'll rate him on the scale of 1 (Terrible Hir

• 1. Terrible Hire

Votes: 1 2.3%

Votes: 4 9.1%

Votes: 6 13.6%

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • 5. Average Hire

Votes: 9 20.5%

Votes: 4 9.1%

Votes: 8 18.2%

Votes: 7 15.9%

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • 10. Great Hire

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I know it's tough to say. But right now, given what you know, what's your guess on how well the Browns will choose their next head coach?

When the new coach is announced, where do you expect you'll rate him on the scale of 1 (Terrible Hire) to 10 (Great Hire)?

It's almost always a 9 or 10, especially with the homers.  Just look at all the peeps in Denver and Chicago rating Fox as a great hire.
Interesting. It seems to me lots of homers are critical too though.

How do you think they'll do?

I’m going to be optimistic & give it a 7.  I feel like the Browns as an organization are committing to a better product.

Firing Hue seems like a big step towards admitting they had a problem. 

So i’m hopeful that also means they’re smart enough to get some consulting to help them pick a HC. 

And it’s worth mentioning that the Browns aren’t devoid of talent. They have solid players on both sides of the ball, including a franchise QB & RB, and a very solid receiver in Landry. 

So, unlike the Browns of old (or the 49ers for a decade) they should be an attractive landing spot for a prospective HC. 

It goes both ways - they need to be able to attract talent, and IMO they're set up to do exactly that.

hopefully they resist the urge to go all Raiders and make a splashy “name” hire & instead hire an up & comer. I wouldn’t want to see a retread either. 

Interesting. It seems to me lots of homers are critical too though.

How do you think they'll do?
I gave it a six.  I figure the average hire is a 5.  

Positives

Stocked draft cupboard to get the talent you want for your system

Young team with good talent on paper and strong defense

Low expectations reduces pressure

Owner doesn't fire you for losing all your games

Dorsey's track record

Negatives

Owner's history of selecting coaches isn't good

Coach has to live in Cleveland

Tied to Mayfield (not saying Mayfield is bad, just that you don't get a say in your franchise QB), overall a clean slate would likely draw in more candidates as a few candidates must not like him.

Dorsey has a year head start in staking his claim on many of the hires and some of his buddies may be in jobs where you want your buddies

A young up and comer could be the next Josh McDaniels or the retread the next Coughlin or the boring guy the next Rivera.

It will get an 8 or 9 at the time of hire, and within a year it will be viewed as a 4 at best.

It’s Cleveland...everything starts out looking exciting and shiny, only to darken and tarnish in the unforgiving air coming off the lake.

The Browns are on the upswing, good GM and I'd bet on this being a good hire. 

Gotta figure they'll take an offensive minded coach.

Eric Bienemy should at least get an interview. 

The sins of the past often rear their heads during a Browns HC search.  The owner has been too involved in personnel decisions, mostly falling in love with a coach and trying to build a Front Office staff around said person.  That approach has never worked.  However, after the events that transpired this week, I firmly believe Dorsey has more of a foothold over the personnel department than any previous Browns GM since 1999.  

The Browns HC job is an attractive one, that is ready for an up and coming HC to make a name for himself.  The AFC North isn't as smash-mouth as it used to be, and the Browns have the talent to really begin making a name for themselves.  This team has the three cornerstones of a good team locked down with youth (QB - Baker, PassRush - Garrett, Shutdown CB - Ward).  Now is the time to use the team's plentiful draft and cap assets to build around these and make a statement that the Browns are here and are a force.  All they need is that HC.

If Dorsey is the main guy involved, I think this hire will be a 9-10.  He sees the potential and he wants to build his legacy. 

If Haslam is the main guy involved, I think this hire will be a 5-6.  Haslam gets too emotionally involved with the HC and then is slow to pull the trigger when things go wrong.

Monday was a turning point for the Franchise where I think Dorsey put his stamp on this team as being his, and Dorsey will be taking on more of a leadership role with personnel.  The Haslams will stay involved because they are passionate about turning this around, but I think they have provided Dorsey with some trust that other GMs have not had over the years. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the next HC have some ties to Dorsey, either via GB or KC.  I would like to see a young, hungry, offensive minded coach come in and take this team to the next level.  The future of this team revolves around Baker, and Dorsey is fully aware of that issue and will take strides to not waste it.

With Dorsey and Baker it's not near a 1, but as of November 1 it is also nowhere near a 10 because of the owner and his goofy organizational structure.  I split the difference and selected a 5 for now.  Bad organizations stay bad until they prove they are no longer bad.  This one hasn't proven that.  Yet.

pinequick said:
Dorsey is a football guy (not a Footballguy, but still).  I think he'll make a good selection.
I agree as long as Haslam lets him make the decision

Last edited by a moderator:
How I expect to feel when they announce a new coach is, "Let's see how it goes before judging."  How I think it'll turn out in the long run, 5, average.  Hard to say, really.  I'm not sure why any top-level college coach would want to go to the NFL & deal with the NFLPA and CBA.  There's more freedom and power in college, IMO.  Neither do I think the top NFL coaches would be cut loose.  This leaves OC/DCs and retreads.  For me, I'd like someone with several years in the NFL, someone who knows what the league is like, someone who has a good grasp on the ins & outs of every situation from training camp to game plans to time management to practice schedules to press conferences.

I agree as long as Haslam lets him make the decision
This was my thought.  I could see Dorsey bailing if they stick their noses in too much, and Dorsey has a history of not holding jobs very long.  

This season is already a disaster, considering many had them pegged as a possible playoff team (they were getting a lot of money in Vegas to win their division).  I never bought into it, for a variety of reasons, but the expectations were there for a lot of people, yet here they now sit at 2-5-1 with no head coach. 

Why does Pete Carmichael (New Orleans OC) never seem to get HC buzz.  Dude's been the OC for years - you'd think he'd have gotten some love by now.

How I expect to feel when they announce a new coach is, "Let's see how it goes before judging."  

Thanks but that's not the question. We don't get to judge after the fact. My question is how much faith do you have in the Browns to get a coach? Meaning, when they hire the guy, what do you expect your reaction will be from 1 (terrible hire) to 10 (great hire)? What do you say?

BassNBrew said:
I gave it a six.  I figure the average hire is a 5.  

Positives

Stocked draft cupboard to get the talent you want for your system

Young team with good talent on paper and strong defense

Low expectations reduces pressure

Owner doesn't fire you for losing all your games

Dorsey's track record

Negatives

Owner's history of selecting coaches isn't good

Coach has to live in Cleveland

Tied to Mayfield (not saying Mayfield is bad, just that you don't get a say in your franchise QB), overall a clean slate would likely draw in more candidates as a few candidates must not like him.

Dorsey has a year head start in staking his claim on many of the hires and some of his buddies may be in jobs where you want your buddies

A young up and comer could be the next Josh McDaniels or the retread the next Coughlin or the boring guy the next Rivera.
Interesting, thanks.

For Mayfield, how well do you think the Browns have answered the question of "We've checked the box on getting the QB we need" on a scale of 1(not confident at all) to 10 (totally confident) 

This was my thought.  I could see Dorsey bailing if they stick their noses in too much, and Dorsey has a history of not holding jobs very long.  

This season is already a disaster, considering many had them pegged as a possible playoff team (they were getting a lot of money in Vegas to win their division).  I never bought into it, for a variety of reasons, but the expectations were there for a lot of people, yet here they now sit at 2-5-1 with no head coach. 
You're kidding.

Thanks but that's not the question. We don't get to judge after the fact. My question is how much faith do you have in the Browns to get a coach? Meaning, when they hire the guy, what do you expect your reaction will be from 1 (terrible hire) to 10 (great hire)? What do you say?
If you're asking me if I have faith that they will hire THE GUY, I don't -- simply because it's a damned tough task.  Dorsey has impressed me with the things he's accomplished, so that's a plus.  Haslam, not so much.  On the other hand, I expect that JH respects Dorsey, as well.  That should help significantly.  So, for me, I guess I have to cop out & decline to answer, since you're simply gauging emotions (terrible -- great) for that moment.  

In regard to a somewhat related topic.  I'm always surprised how polarizing these things are.  Many people regarded Jackson as totally incompetent and THE reason for 0-16.  They will tell you that he was such a detriment that no team would ever have any chance with him at the helm -- thus the "addition by subtraction" attitude.  Simply put, one does not ascend to head coach in the NFL with all the $$$ and benefits attached to that position by chance.  If anyone thinks owners of multi-billion dollar enterprises make such decisions flippantly, well...  ALL of these guys are competent and well vetted / recommended, but the fans know best, I guess.

If you're asking me if I have faith that they will hire THE GUY, I don't -- simply because it's a damned tough task.  Dorsey has impressed me with the things he's accomplished, so that's a plus.  Haslam, not so much.  On the other hand, I expect that JH respects Dorsey, as well.  That should help significantly.  So, for me, I guess I have to cop out & decline to answer, since you're simply gauging emotions (terrible -- great) for that moment.  

In regard to a somewhat related topic.  I'm always surprised how polarizing these things are.  Many people regarded Jackson as totally incompetent and THE reason for 0-16.  They will tell you that he was such a detriment that no team would ever have any chance with him at the helm -- thus the "addition by subtraction" attitude.  Simply put, one does not ascend to head coach in the NFL with all the $$$ and benefits attached to that position by chance.  If anyone thinks owners of multi-billion dollar enterprises make such decisions flippantly, well...  ALL of these guys are competent and well vetted / recommended, but the fans know best, I guess.
This isn't gauging emotions. This is how much faith one has in the Browns to get what they feel is a good coach. And yes, declining to answer is a cop out ;)  

And for sure, coaches likely get way too much blame and credit. With that said, I think a head coach is a significant factor in a team's success or failure. 

Do you?

Interesting, thanks.

For Mayfield, how well do you think the Browns have answered the question of "We've checked the box on getting the QB we need" on a scale of 1(not confident at all) to 10 (totally confident) 
6.5 to 7.  Statistically in the ballpark with Rosen and Darold.  Could be Winston or Mariotta OR could be Goff or Wentz.  I'm giving him credit for his leadership attributes, but some are spring boarding off the attributes to call him an 8-10 or destined to be a franchise QB.

6.5 to 7.  Statistically in the ballpark with Rosen and Darold.  Could be Winston or Mariotta OR could be Goff or Wentz.  I'm giving him credit for his leadership attributes, but some are spring boarding off the attributes to call him an 8-10 or destined to be a franchise QB.
i realize many Browns fans, myself included, may be jumping the gun a bit.  

but compared to the hot garbage they’ve had over the years, he sure looks like a franchise QB.  

I'm not sure there will be any candidates that would deserve a really high rating.  Do we know who the top candidates are for any of the open, or soon to be open, HC jobs?  Out of the lists I have seen, I don't really see any candidates that I would feel confident enough to give a 9 or a 10.  The young franchise QB and other very good, young talent make this an attractive job.  Haslam takes away from that, but I'm not sure that even if they get their first choice, he will be great HC hire.

ETA - Hue was one of the top, young coaching candidates when he was hired.  There is always a risk when giving a person their first HC job at the highest level.

Joe Bryant said:
I'm saying it'll be a 9.5.

This is a really attractive job. 
There will be some 9.5s that interview for the job, certainly.  Cleveland will hire a 3.  Or they will hire the 9.5 and he will turn into a 3 by the time all is said and done.

There will be some 9.5s that interview for the job, certainly.  Cleveland will hire a 3.  Or they will hire the 9.5 and he will turn into a 3 by the time all is said and done.
Yeah, how he turns out is a different story. I'm trying to gauge here what people will think of him the day he's hired. You say 3? Or 9.5? Or somewhere in between?

For me it would be impossible to rate their new coach before I know who it is.

Although I think Hue Jackson was a poor hire by them, I do think it was a good thing they stuck with the same coach for more than a year. They hadn't done that in s long time prior to Hue.

I think this is important for continuity and player evaluation and development that they give a coach more than one season to prove their worth, just that Hue Jackson was the wrong coach to do that with.

What coaches may they be interested in pursuing?

I think we will know fairly quickly if they made the right hire because they have enough talent on this team where the right coach should be able to get a sizeable leap in performance from where they are now.

This isn't gauging emotions. This is how much faith one has in the Browns to get what they feel is a good coach. And yes, declining to answer is a cop out ;)  

And for sure, coaches likely get way too much blame and credit. With that said, I think a head coach is a significant factor in a team's success or failure. 

Do you?
You would hope so, but not exclusively.  If you had swapped Bellichick & Jackson last year, the Patriots would STILL have won a ton more games than the Browns.  Right?

I'd bet they would have won more games with Hue & Brady than NE would have with Bellichick & Kizer.  
yep, i agree.  that’s why i said probably.  

can you agree with better coaching that the Browns would’ve not gone defeated last year?

You would hope so, but not exclusively.  If you had swapped Bellichick & Jackson last year, the Patriots would STILL have won a ton more games than the Browns.  Right?
That's why I said "significant" and not "exclusive". 

And that's the definition of a coach. They used to say of Bear Bryant, "He'll take his and beat yours. And he could take yours and beat his". 

I don’t think they’ll hire a retread. My gut says they’ll pick someone no one is talking about that is unheard of outside of coaching circles (like Carmichael mentioned above). 

Doing that means it’ll be viewed as a 5 or 6 by the average fan, but will need time to breathe to see if they have the next Sean McVay or the next Hue Jackson. 

can you agree with better coaching that the Browns would’ve not gone defeated last year?
Can you agree that it's debatable? Remember Kizer & his league-leading int's?  How about that horrific defensive backfield?  Sammie Coates, Corey Coleman, Ricardo Louis...? 

That's why I said "significant" and not "exclusive". 

And that's the definition of a coach. They used to say of Bear Bryant, "He'll take his and beat yours. And he could take yours and beat his". 
So, you think Bellichick would have taken that 0-16 team to the playoffs (take theirs & beat you)?  No.  I'm sure you don't.  

Can you agree that ANY team in the entire history of ALL sports could have done better with better coaching?  Of course.  

@daveR if you have an open mind please read the Doug Lesmiries article from Monday then look at what the cancer did today. If you're gonna keep yourself jammed inside your continuity echo chamber then it's probably not worth your time. HTH

With Dorsey and Baker it's not near a 1, but as of November 1 it is also nowhere near a 10 because of the owner and his goofy organizational structure.  I split the difference and selected a 5 for now.  Bad organizations stay bad until they prove they are no longer bad.  This one hasn't proven that.  Yet.
Noone better than a 6 will step through that door unless they are reporting to Dorsey. I can't imagine any potential, proven HC would be willing to report directly to Haslam, rather than to someone who actually knows what he's doing, football-wise. That being said, I do think this will be Dorsey's show, and the next coach will be an 8. But I also think it may be someone who is not on anyone's radar, similar to when JH went to the Niners.

@daveR if you have an open mind please read the Doug Lesmiries article from Monday then look at what the cancer did today. If you're gonna keep yourself jammed inside your continuity echo chamber then it's probably not worth your time. HTH
Hi Mac.  I read the article you linked to the first day you did so (unless this is a new one).  From my POV, the rhetoric started from "Hue sucks" and added emotional unverifiable speculation as "supporting" arguments.  I didn't comment because  I feel that people who make stands like DL did are not open to seeing the illogic they present.  At any rate, we are now moving forward from the HJ era and I am hopeful that Haslam, et al, are able to find us a truly exception coach.  Go Browns!

Noone better than a 6 will step through that door unless they are reporting to Dorsey. I can't imagine any potential, proven HC would be willing to report directly to Haslam, rather than to someone who actually knows what he's doing, football-wise. That being said, I do think this will be Dorsey's show, and the next coach will be an 8. But I also think it may be someone who is not on anyone's radar, similar to when JH went to the Niners.
I don't buy the logic that no good coach will want to report directly to Haslam as opposed to having Dorsey in between.  If Haslam was going to meddle, the additional layer wouldn't matter.

Hi Mac.  I read the article you linked to the first day you did so (unless this is a new one).  From my POV, the rhetoric started from "Hue sucks" and added emotional unverifiable speculation as "supporting" arguments.  I didn't comment because  I feel that people who make stands like DL did are not open to seeing the illogic they present.  At any rate, we are now moving forward from the HJ era and I am hopeful that Haslam, et al, are able to find us a truly exception coach.  Go Browns!
He told you exactly what the cancer would do then he did it 3 days later, which is consistent with behavior he has exuded since he got here.  I get that you refuse to live in a world of probabilities and likelihoods, but understand that most of us do.  This game's chess; it isn't checkers.  If you just listen to the state media propaganda spewed from Mary Kay and take it as gospel without verifiable proof indicating otherwise know that most/all of us are not doing the same.

Users who are viewing this thread