What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Thread (1 Viewer)

The whole Baines in the HOF is more than likely lead to a larger hall (I'm guessing).  I mean it looks like as of now Mussina, Rivera, Halladay and Edgar Martinez are pretty much locks to get in, with Schilling, Bonds and Clemens on the cusp (the latter two most assuredly belong).

Larry Walker is getting some love now, but will more than likely fall just short.

But Lance Berkman is getting the ole proverbial shaft here in my eyes, as he's less than 2%.  Berkman's career WAR is higher than Baines - obviously, I mean who's isn't. 

But Baines best season was when he was 25 with a 4.4 oWAR.  Berkman had 7 years with a higher total than that, seven.  Yeah, WAR is a flawed stat but I mean come on.  And Walker had 5 higher than Baines, but all of them were in Colorado.  Helton had 6 years higher than that, but he is undoubtedly going to feel the Coors effect, but even he is at nearly 20% with his first year on the ballot.  Berkman is one of the most underrated players of recent note, probably right along side Dwight Evans.

How did McGwire get tossed aside so easily, yet the other steroid guys are starting to show momentum towards induction? 

McGwire’s stats very similar to Mike Schmidt, who was a near unanimous first ballot guy. 

How did McGwire get tossed aside so easily, yet the other steroid guys are starting to show momentum towards induction? 

McGwire’s stats very similar to Mike Schmidt, who was a near unanimous first ballot guy. 
I have no knowledge whether or not this is the case, but linkage to the toxic Jose Canseco plus the treetrunkness of his forearms plus the lying could be factors.

He wasn't in front of the senate to talk about his past, so why should anyone else do it? 

McGwire isn't on the same planet as Bonds. He's the only steroid batter with momentum.  Sosa, Palmeiro, Manny... no momentum for those guys. Bonds is the exception, not McGwire. The general consensus is Bonds was a HOFer before the steroids. 

Good point, Bonds is a whole different level as an all around career. 

Was surprised to see McGwire averaged 35/100 in his first 6 years, which maybe were his clean years, if he had any. 

Such a fun, but weird era of baseball. 

Saw a tweet about how underrated Mike Mussina was. I never really considered him a HOF'er before so - after seeing that tweet - I decided to look up his stats.

Yea - he was WAY better than I thought he was. Very solid HOF'er.

Mussina is fine.  Top 30 JAWS for SP, and only guys not in HOF are Clemens, Schilling and Jim McCormack whom I will defer to Eephus to make a case for him as they are contemporaries.

I do have a little issue with the huge Edgar Martinez love.  Guy was DH only, sorry that is fringe HOFer at best.

Saw a tweet about how underrated Mike Mussina was. I never really considered him a HOF'er before so - after seeing that tweet - I decided to look up his stats.

Yea - he was WAY better than I thought he was. Very solid HOF'er.
Definitely. Not sure what took them so long

Mussina is fine.  Top 30 JAWS for SP, and only guys not in HOF are Clemens, Schilling and Jim McCormack whom I will defer to Eephus to make a case for him as they are contemporaries.

I do have a little issue with the huge Edgar Martinez love.  Guy was DH only, sorry that is fringe HOFer at best.
Harold Baines

Schmidt was like a top 3(?) fielder all time at 3b.  Completely different.  Plus he was very good base runner in the first half of his career.

guru_007 said:
As a Seattlite, let me say: he's been a class act, put in his time, put up good numbers.   Ya,  he is fringe HOFer, but he also made it in on the last ballot, which is the definition of fringe.

Hov34 said:
Don't understand the lack of support for Scott Rolen.
It's a pretty deep ballot and can only vote up to 10.  Looking at who finished in the Top 10, I think the only one I would have voted for Rolen over would have been Vizquel.

Hov34 said:
Don't understand the lack of support for Scott Rolen.
Phenomenal fielder but we all know offensive stats rule when it comes to HOF votes. Now his career totals are among the best in baseball history for 3B but until the last 20 years or so there weren't many great 3B in baseball history. Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Adrian Beltre, etc. Looking more closely he always seemed to be a guy who had potential to be a superstar but never quite got there. between slow starts and being injured often I don't think he did enough. Only 1 good season after the age of 29 left a bad taste in most voters mouths.

I'm still big on Andruw Jones making the HOF.  Not a Braves fan at all, but this guy burst onto the scene and was a special player at a very young age.  Yes, he got fat when he aged and the clock struck midnight on his career when he pretty much hit 30, but over a 10 year span 1997-2006, he averaged 34 hr's, 101 rbi's, 95 runs, 117 OPS+, also stole 130 bases - all the while being the best defense CF'er in MLB (9 gg's).  His WAR over that period was 60.9.  And he just gets 7% of votes?  And yes, better than Harold Baines.

I'm still big on Andruw Jones making the HOF.  Not a Braves fan at all, but this guy burst onto the scene and was a special player at a very young age.  Yes, he got fat when he aged and the clock struck midnight on his career when he pretty much hit 30, but over a 10 year span 1997-2006, he averaged 34 hr's, 101 rbi's, 95 runs, 117 OPS+, also stole 130 bases - all the while being the best defense CF'er in MLB (9 gg's).  His WAR over that period was 60.9.  And he just gets 7% of votes?  And yes, better than Harold Baines.
we won’t be able to use the better then babies argument too much, since so many are better.  i think jones was 4-5 yrs older than listed age.  he basically stopped at 30.  had 2-4 HOF years, but less than 2000 hits and his .250 average don’t scream hall.  ichiro is carew, so he gets in.  both had a ROY and MVP, carew 7 batting titles to 2, but ichiro had 200 hits like 8 straight seasons?  ichiro gets in, but around 85%.

Users who are viewing this thread