What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Le'Veon Bell When He Returns - What Do You Expect by his 2nd week back? (1 Viewer)

By Bell's second week back, what are you expecting for PIT RBs?

• Bell as clear #1 RB for PIT

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Bell as mostly #1 RB but Conner seeing work

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • 50-50 split with Bell - Conner

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • Conner as mostly #1 RB but Bell seeing work

Votes: 51 44.0%
  • Conner as clear #1 RB for PIT

Votes: 24 20.7%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/05/pittsburgh-steelers-leveon-bell-absence

Clearly, it looks like he's returning.

What do you expect when he returns by his second week back?

I think we can say we don't expect a ton in his first week back. We saw that last year in Week 1. By Week 2, it was a full workload. http://www.nfl.com/player/le'veonbell/2540175/gamelogs?season=2017

But James Conner's status in November of 2018 is very different than it was in September of 2017. 

By his second week back, what are you expecting from Bell?

Pitt is 5-2-1. I think they're wiser than to go messing with chemistry. The o-line seems happy pushing defenders around for Conner. I doubt it would be the same with Bell. Bell is still a great talent and I think he'll see maybe some 3rd down work, but everything seems to be clicking right now without Bell. No need to change what ain't broken.

I fully expect a game situation dependent split between Conner and Bell - which will provide a nightmare for opposing defenses.  In addition to normal RB sets, I could envision H-back looks for either.  All of this is assuming there is not some chemistry issue within the organization which could minimize Bell's usage.

Wow, I wish I knew the internal dynamics and had something intelligent to say about it. I'd guess, honestly, that Bell sits a week and Conner loses work. That's as benign as it gets, but that's the prediction.  

for such a strong organization this is a Grade A loser move.

this guy should not be playing for that team, and conner shouldnt have a worry in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 2 weeks Conner should still be the lead back - he's earned it by showing up all season and producing.  I love the Tomlin comment the other day "we need volunteers not hostages".

That’s such a hard call. 

I’m wondering how much turmoil his return will cause. Clearly there are some on the team who are displeased with the way he’s handled this. 

I’ll say RBBC, 60/40 split. 

Connor has more than proved his worth to that offense, and it would be silly to mothball such an obvious talent. But there’s also no question Bell is a world-beater. 

But that’s assuming he’s stayed in shape & hasn’t been sitting on his but eating pop tarts & playing Red Dead Redemption Ii like me. ;)  

He plays to stay in shape and be sharp, but I fully expect Tomlin to hold a grudge here and as long as Conner is getting it done, Conner plays and Bell can sit on the bench, getting a few carries here and there to spell Conner and maybe garbage time carries. The only way I see him getting significant playing time is if he far out shines Conner on the field. The way Conner is playing, I don't feel that Bell can do that. I feel like he can't just be better, he has to be light years better to get out of the dog house and I'm not sure that's possible. 

One thing though, I would LOVE to see Conner in the backfield, Juju, Brown and Bell lined up at wide out in the same package. I bet that would be a nightmare for Defenses and soooooo much fun to watch. 

He's the better RB so I'd expect him to be heavily involved. Conner won't go away, but why wouldn't Pitt play the best guy?

If / When Bell comes back, I anticipate Steelers to go with RBBC... Maybe use both on the same field, utilizing Bell as hybrid RB/WR.   One thing for sure... I expect Conner to be the guy in red-zone rushing threat.

He's the better RB so I'd expect him to be heavily involved. Conner won't go away, but why wouldn't Pitt play the best guy?
It's not a sure thing that Bell is better than Connor at this point.  Bell has been riding jet skis while Connor is been with the team and performing well.  Plus I think would be a bad precedent to play Bell given his holdout attitude and all that.  Bell should be connners  backup if he returns.

It's not a sure thing that Bell is better than Connor at this point.  Bell has been riding jet skis while Connor is been with the team and performing well.  Plus I think would be a bad precedent to play Bell given his holdout attitude and all that.  Bell should be connners  backup if he returns.
Agreed.

I do not expect Bell back on the playing field on the second week his back.  The guy hasn't played a snap since early January 2019, it is going to take at least 2 weeks just to come up to speed.   Barring injury I think Conner keeps the starting job from here on out and at best Bell will get 25-35% of the carries for the remainder of his Steeler career.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/05/pittsburgh-steelers-leveon-bell-absence

Clearly, it looks like he's returning.

What do you expect when he returns by his second week back?

I think we can say we don't expect a ton in his first week back. We saw that last year in Week 1. By Week 2, it was a full workload. http://www.nfl.com/player/le'veonbell/2540175/gamelogs?season=2017

But James Conner's status in November of 2018 is very different than it was in September of 2017. 

By his second week back, what are you expecting from Bell?
While most of us believe Bell will return prior to Nov 13, I fail to see any new development in the referenced article which suggests, "Clearly, it looks like he's returning".  Perhaps I am missing something.  Nevertheless, this looms as an interesting situation as we head toward fantasy football playoffs.  While I believe Bell is the more talented back, Conner has earned the right to maintain a significant role, and I don't expect Tomlin to pull the rug out from under Conner.  Conner arguably represents the future at the position for the Steelers.  Bell will have a role, and I could see Tomlin taking a hot-hand approach, but barring injury, this could develop into a nightmare situation for both Conner and Bell owners.

if you were Bell....would you go out and bust your ###....?....and risk getting hurt....?

not sure the Steelers would trust his level of motivation....

inactive....

socrates said:
While most of us believe Bell will return prior to Nov 13, I fail to see any new development in the referenced article which suggests, "Clearly, it looks like he's returning".  Perhaps I am missing something.  Nevertheless, this looms as an interesting situation as we head toward fantasy football playoffs.  While I believe Bell is the more talented back, Conner has earned the right to maintain a significant role, and I don't expect Tomlin to pull the rug out from under Conner.  Conner arguably represents the future at the position for the Steelers.  Bell will have a role, and I could see Tomlin taking a hot-hand approach, but barring injury, this could develop into a nightmare situation for both Conner and Bell owners.
I was referencing his "fairwell Miami" post from yesterday. But no disagreement, nothing is too clear. 

if you were Bell....would you go out and bust your ###....?....and risk getting hurt....?

not sure the Steelers would trust his level of motivation....

inactive....
NFL injuries are random...if you are out on the field you need to bust ### just to protect yourself.  If Bell is jaking it Tomlin will yank him.

2nd week back... I agree with zoonation, 65/35.

Steelers fan, and I don't want to see Conner getting run into the ground (like they have done with Bell previous years).

Use 'em both to the best their ability.

NFL injuries are random...if you are out on the field you need to bust ### just to protect yourself.  If Bell is jaking it Tomlin will yank him.
thats why I think there will be a behind the scenes understanding...I'm coming back to accrue my time....but don't play me....

I can't see this happening... you pay him, you play him.
its better than him going through the motions and forcing Tomlin not to play him.....he can be honest about it at this point as IMO this "relationship" is past the point of no return....Bell doesn't want to be there....he is not going to play hard and all of a sudden be a knight in shining armor coming in the rescue PIT....he wants out and he doesn't want to jeopardize a future contract with another team by playing for a team he doesn't even want to play for...

its better than him going through the motions and forcing Tomlin not to play him.....he can be honest about it at this point as IMO this "relationship" is past the point of no return....Bell doesn't want to be there....he is not going to play hard and all of a sudden be a knight in shining armor coming in the rescue PIT....he wants out and he doesn't want to jeopardize a future contract with another team by playing for a team he doesn't even want to play for...
That sounds like a lot of speculation.

He got bad advice (perhaps) and gambled on the fact that James Conner would be JAG. In this case it may have been worth the gamble because he could afford to lose (unlike the vast majority of gamblers).

If he comes back, this will be his audition for prospective teams in 2019. Why wouldn't he want to put on his best show... and why wouldn't the Steelers want that very same from him?

Bell doesn't need to add anything to his resume....(besides accruing another year)....while a few teammates might welcome him back, I'm assuming there is a good chunk that could care less and would maybe rather not have him along for the ride....Bell doesn't want to play and will probably sabotage any effort for PIT to do so....whether you want him to be honest and say do'nt play me...or just not getting in "football shape" or lack of effort if forced into duty......

That sounds like a lot of speculation.

He got bad advice (perhaps) and gambled on the fact that James Conner would be JAG. In this case it may have been worth the gamble because he could afford to lose (unlike the vast majority of gamblers).

If he comes back, this will be his audition for prospective teams in 2019. Why wouldn't he want to put on his best show... and why wouldn't the Steelers want that very same from him?
thinking his needs to audition is crazy....he doesn't need to put on his best show....everybody already knows what he is capable of....

I lean towards he doesn't come back at all, but if he does the Steelers have already told him they will roster exempt him for 2 weeks. If he works hard in practice he will get back on the field, but given they will be in the thick of a  playoff race and how well Conner is playing, I can't see them throwing him in for many carries right away. I would guess at least 2 weeks of very limited play.

thinking his needs to audition is crazy....he doesn't need to put on his best show....everybody already knows what he is capable of....
I'm not so sure about that. His agent touted Bell as a "once in a generation" type of talent (albeit, that is his job, but also with a statement like that... gambling that James Conner would not be able to match Bell's production). Free agent targets have been hearing about Conner's numbers vs Bell's and will be leaning heavily on the "product of a RB friendly system" argument to drive Bell's value down.

Only way to change that narrative now is to show them on the field.

I'm not so sure about that. His agent touted Bell as a "once in a generation" type of talent (albeit, that is his job, but also with a statement like that... gambling that James Conner would not be able to match Bell's production). Free agent targets have been hearing about Conner's numbers vs Bell's and will be leaning heavily on the "product of a RB friendly system" argument to drive Bell's value down.

Only way to change that narrative now is to show them on the field.
how good Connor has done only matters to his value to the Steelers....the other 31 will all put their own value on him.....and when the contract is signed with whoever it is, the signing bonus and the guaranteed money will piss all over the 14.5.....Bell has nothing to prove on the field....IMO, and I think many GM's would agree....there is enough history/stats/tape to decide whether he can play or not.....5 games at the end of this season isn't going to change that....

I lean towards he doesn't come back at all, but if he does the Steelers have already told him they will roster exempt him for 2 weeks. If he works hard in practice he will get back on the field, but given they will be in the thick of a  playoff race and how well Conner is playing, I can't see them throwing him in for many carries right away. I would guess at least 2 weeks of very limited play.
I suspect the roster exemption status is going to be an issue. The team has the right to do it, and the player and the team are instructed by the CBA to negotiate an appropriate amount for the player to be paid for those two weeks. Bell will want the max amount, PIT will counter with $0. Bell will then say if he doesn't get paid those two weeks, he will take two weeks off in the playoffs instead. I still see this entire situation getting uglier, not easier.

The best thing for all involved (provided Conner stays healthy) is for Bell just not to show up at all and the Steelers let him walk next year. But that probably won't happen.

how good Connor has done only matters to his value to the Steelers....the other 31 will all put their own value on him.....and when the contract is signed with whoever it is, the signing bonus and the guaranteed money will piss all over the 14.5.....Bell has nothing to prove on the field....IMO, and I think many GM's would agree....there is enough history/stats/tape to decide whether he can play or not.....5 games at the end of this season isn't going to change that....
Really? So you truly believe that the fact that his understudy stepped right in and basically duplicated Bell's production won't affect how others view him?

If that's true they should try and trade for Conner (younger, and also apparently a "once in a generation talent").

I kind of like what Bell did here although it probably isn't going to work out the way he wanted. That said, if he does return, I would expect at least 3 weeks to get back in elite game shape. It doesn't matter if he ate right and trained hard in Miami. Even Michael Jordan needed a couple of games to warm up after his first comeback.

They're trying to win so I expect that to rule the day.

There would be more of a rush to get him back if Conner wasn't performing, but that's not the case.

Eventually, I think Bell gets the majority of the workload, but it's kinda hard to say when that'll be.

What kind of condition is Bell in? Will he be rusty?

Those are big factors.

Really? So you truly believe that the fact that his understudy stepped right in and basically duplicated Bell's production won't affect how others view him?

If that's true they should try and trade for Conner (younger, and also apparently a "once in a generation talent").
Did people view Joe Montana as a lesser QB because Steve Young was great?  Did Marshall Faulk become a JAG because Edgerrin James was great?  Did Brett Favre become a game manager because Aaron Rodgers was great?

Bell is an elite RB, and other teams aren’t going to view him differently because Conner is doing well.

I can't believe anyone is still trying to argue he can recoup what he lost.
Nobody said anything about “recouping”...at least I didn’t...simply saying the next time he signs the total of the signing bonus and guaranteed money will add up to way more than 14.5 and he will have that security....you must be referring to somebody else about recouping....

Users who are viewing this thread