What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dez Bryant to New Orleans - What are you expecting? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
What are the impacts you expect with Dez Bryant to New Orleans?

Not just Bryant but the other players as well?

I know there's the giant official thread but I'd like this to be about this particular topic relevant today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dez can't really separate anymore from press coverage.   He is (or was) still very physical, so I'd expect him to be a possession WR taking coverage in the middle of the field.    Bryant's skills have declined, so I don't expect a lot.   

I pretty much just stashed him as protection against losing Michael Thomas, if he goes down with an injury I would expect Dez to be able to step in as a veteran and talented receiver 

I like the fit a lot.  Brees is the best QB he will have played with.  If Dez gets open, Drew will find him.

Teams still have to respect the run game, the RBs in the flat/screens and MT deep.  I feel like Dez will have space to roam in the middle of the field and won't see a lot of double teams or team's #1 CB. 

I think he could be a top 25 WR weekly down the stretch run. 

He should have a WR3/4 floor that will mix in some boom weeks due to his RZ prowess. I like him in deeper leagues where you start >9 players. 

If you got him or had him stashed, it's a league-winning pick up.  He has fresh legs, something to prove and at 30 years old I'm betting he still has something left in the tank..  He's absolutely the type of player that plays better with a chip on his shoulder.
Agree with this, guy is going to be playing angry and with passion. 

Dez can't really separate anymore from press coverage.   He is (or was) still very physical, so I'd expect him to be a possession WR taking coverage in the middle of the field.    Bryant's skills have declined, so I don't expect a lot.   
While I disagree with all the separation talk, even if so, Brees will throw him open

I'm bullish, 42 catches, 6 tds,  400 yards rec.

Homerun signing for NOLA

Would anyone drop Godwin, Gabriel or DJ Moore for him? I already own Thomas and Smith but am solid at WR with also having OBJ and Sanders so it would just be a flex or handcuff player..

I have angst. This feels like screwing with chemistry.
Don't feel bad -- think of Dez coming on board as mismatch creation. There are a lot of things opposing defenses can no longer do as effectively since Dez Bryant can make them pay.

FFB-wise, I am thinking like menobrown. Nice start against Dallas, but a borderline flex the rest of the season. Bryant's FFB scoring will be heavily TD-dependent -- he won't be a steady source of receptions or yards. 

Would anyone drop Godwin, Gabriel or DJ Moore for him? I already own Thomas and Smith but am solid at WR with also having OBJ and Sanders so it would just be a flex or handcuff player..
Gabriel, yes. The other two I think will put up better FFB stats rest of season.

Unpopular opinion maybe, but I don't think he's worth the roster spot depending on the league. He'll be Oakland Raiders Amari Cooper 2.0, in my opinion, or what Brandon Marshall was for Seattle earlier this year. Sure, he might have a big game, but good luck predicting when, and I don't think he'll be startable in the other down weeks.

I also don't discount the connection with coaching and getting open. If anyone can scheme a player open, I think it's Payton. 

I wondered that too. But don't you trust Payton? I'm sure Brees had a lot of input on this as well, right?
I'm confusing personal fandom with FF ownership. FF-wise, how do you not like this? Yes, Brees will throw him open even if he's lost a step, and if that fails Peyton will draw it up so he's open anyway. Any given game (give it a bit) I could see 5/4/70+/1.

But from a team standpoint, I dunno. I am sure Bryant is a consumate pro but this team doesn't brook squatters, complainers, or gimmethedamnball types.

I also don't discount the connection with coaching and getting open. If anyone can scheme a player open, I think it's Payton. 
I guess the other question is that can Dez live with not being the lead dog in a passing offense?  Brees spreads the ball around extremely well.     And the NOLA red zone is now formally known as Kamaraland.  

I'm sure Dez is hungry and wants to prove he has something left.    He also wants a Super Bowl ring, and there certainly is an opportunity for that. 

So now.......can we address the impact on T. Smith? Dropable now?
Tre'Quan can now take the old  boom-or-bust "Ted Ginn/Devery Henderson" role.  Ginn was an effective #3 with Brandon Cooks on one side of the field and Michael Thomas on the other.  

I expect Bress’ completion percentage to drop.

ETA - I think this is a desperation add to try to get something out of what was supposed to be Cam Meredith’s quota.  Now I’m wondering if I should be dropping Meredith in dynasty - I’ve been patient waiting for him to finally step up but it just ain’t happening.  I also think because of that, that T Smith will be just fine - in fact adding another threat, even if they struggle to get open and catch the ball - may help Smith.

Tre'Quan can now take the old  boom-or-bust "Ted Ginn/Devery Henderson" role.  Ginn was an effective #3 with Brandon Cooks on one side of the field and Michael Thomas on the other.  
I am on board with this take.

IF Dez has as mush left in the tank as @dipandglide told he me does ?... then absolutely worth a flier if you have room on your bench.

Lot of speculation that he was spent when Dallas let him walk, but obviously NOS provide a massive upgrade in offensive scheme, pass-happy attack, #1WR playing opposite to draw heat, and HOF QB... jury is out, but the pieces are in place to succeed.

I'm not alone, I just don't understand the move. They don't seem to have a "need" unless there is something going on we don't know. I hope he fails miserably and they cut him after 1 week :)

I'm not alone, I just don't understand the move. They don't seem to have a "need" unless there is something going on we don't know. I hope he fails miserably and they cut him after 1 week :)
Posted this elsewhere in the Shark Pool ...

For what it's worth, this is a big part of Sean Payton's reasoning:

The Saints, meanwhile, have had minimal production from their receivers behind star Michael Thomas, who leads the team with 70 catches for 880 yards. Running back Alvin Kamara ranks second on the team with 51 catches for 427 yards, and Benjamin Watson is third with 26 catches for 292 yards.

Among the receivers, though, rookie Tre’Quan Smith ranks second behind Thomas with 12 catches for 214 yards. Most of Smith’s production came in Week 5 against Washington when he had three catches for 111 yards. Smith has effectively been the No. 2 since that game, especially with Ted Ginn Jr. (knee) going on injured reserve on Oct. 18.

Ginn had 12 catches for 136 in the first three games, but he had no catches in Week 4 and has been sidelined since then.

Among receivers on the active roster, Cameron Meredith ranks third — behind Thomas and Smith — with nine catches for 114 yards, and, like Smith, most of that production came against Washington when Meredith had five catches for 71 yards. Austin Carr is fourth with five catches for 62 yards.

The Saints are second in the NFL in scoring, but the offense ranks seventh in yards per game, a fine yet uncharacteristically low mark in the Sean Payton and Drew Brees era. The team must think Bryant could step in and make an impact where the other receivers have not.

If he was even half way decent he wouldn't have been waiting for a job this long. And what, is Brees going to suddenly stop throwing to Michael Thomas??
I agree about his potential stats ... but Bryant passed on two public offers (with the Browns and Ravens) and has reportedly passed on a few more "private" offers.

Again I just don't see the need. They already have great balance running and throwing. Just seems with his attitude the risks outweigh any potential gains. But I guess Peyton knows what he's doing! 

Again I just don't see the need. They already have great balance running and throwing. Just seems with his attitude the risks outweigh any potential gains. But I guess Peyton knows what he's doing! 
I don't see Bryant as a guy who just has to cause trouble because he's fundamentally a troublemaker and can't help himself. But, if it turns out that he is exactly that, he gets summarily shown the door -- no muss, no fuss. This is not a desperation play for the Saints where the Saints simply cannot afford to have Bryant go wrong somehow. It's kind of a luxury signing. Bryant can and will be used, yes ... but he's not making or breaking the team either way.

Besides ... I don't think it's nearly the same thing for Bryant to attempt to dictate to Cowboys' coaches and teammates versus dictating to, say, Payton and Brees. The dynamics around Bryant will be very different.

This just feels like a good NFL signing, but not much on the fantasy side of things.  The talk of Dez having lost a step goes back a couple years, and the numbers support it.  I suspect that this solidifies the WR2 spot for NO in that he's a pro and will know how to body up and get position, but from game to game, will be entirely unpredictable in regards to volume.

I suspect that his numbers will be too volatile to be counted on as anything more than a deep lineup WR3/4 kind of play.  I'll be really surprised if he's anything reliable in regards to fantasy.

I noticed he isn't included in your most recent Top 200 update about half an hour ago...would be very interested to see how the FBG staff envisions his production moving forward.

What about would anyone drop underperformers with the "threat" of picking up late season -- Baldwin, Cooper, etc. -- for Bryant?

I agree with @Mene on the take that Dez really has lost a step, and while the offense he is stepping into is much more high powered. it is one that will scheme and spread the ball around so will be hard to get consistent production, let alone the kind of dependable mid/low tier fantasy WR2 numbers some seem to be expecting from this move.

It's comical when I see "league winning pickup". If he was even half way decent he wouldn't have been waiting for a job this long. And what, is Brees going to suddenly stop throwing to Michael Thomas??
I'm with you. This seems to me to be an overblown signing. When is the last big name skill position street FA to be sitting around in November and then sign and make an impact? You maybe uncover a few mid-season diamond-in-the-rough signings (Gaffney to Pats back when comes to mind) but anyone with a name that has been vetted by the league is usually toast.

He should have a WR3/4 floor that will mix in some boom weeks due to his RZ prowess. I like him in deeper leagues where you start >9 players. 
this is how i feel. his fantasy ceiling will be heavily tied to TD's, which will be tougher to predict week to week than receptions and yardage. it's not like he's gonna have a high YAC. looking at the spread of targets so far this year for the Saints, I don't see high volume coming his way, at best 3-5 targets a game. Thomas will probably "suffer" a bit in targets, but wouldn't expect Brees to stop looking his way all of a sudden. Kamara/Smith are seeing about 4-5 targets a game with Watson seeing 3 or so here and there but not consistently. Meredith is pretty much done with this signing.

I think I would rather hold onto Robby Anderson & David Moore vs drop them for Dez. Maybe I am crazy. (Dynasty)

Pluses:

Brees, Payton offense. 

Minuses:

Not in game shape, drops, can’t get separation, has to learn playbook, Thomas and Kamara are the primary targets, 31 other teams didn’t want him. 

Net:

Probably won’t do much for a month or so. Fantasy WR 3/4 down the stretch. 

Biggest winner in ff should be brees owners.

And I like that bryant will be $$$$ motivated if he has ANY hopes of a future contract in the league.  That said, if he drops 700 and 6 tds roy, he just might.

Or he acts like he owns the place, rants on the sideline like always, gets cut and he's done.  He's evidently all in, and in a great offense on a great team.

I want to know the contract deets.

My take is im sure the Saints know a lot more about football players than I do.  

Its not like were talking about the Raiders, Cowboys, or Giants...

...its the Saints.  

They have a good track record.  

Not picking Dez up is just trying to prove to yourself you know a lot about FF.

He's not an expensive pickup...and were at the time of year where most of the stud WW pickups are already gone.

Users who are viewing this thread