Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

2020: The Race For the White House - The Good Place

1 hour ago, Slapdash said:

Whyyyyyy

Well, the Democrats have a pretty thin field and could use a 22nd candidate.

Edit: My bad -- I see that De Blasio will actually be the 23rd candidate, not the 22nd.  I now agree that this is stupid. 

Edited by IvanKaramazov

On 5/11/2019 at 10:18 AM, wikkidpissah said:

Anybody want to tell me how the nation gets better with Joe Biden running it?!

Civility, decency. Wouldn't it be grand to have a President who doesn't lie in almost every sentence and constantly repeat that lie over and over again? Wouldn't it be nice in a weekend to not have a President tweet over 100 divisive name calling attacks on everyone including the  FBI director he appointed? Wouldn't it be nice to not have  President viciously attack our military heros, our institutions, and mainstream media? Gosh I could go on and on.

Edited by lazyike
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Publicly saying that she hates Fox News is great, but publicly saying so on Fox News is even better.

OK, yeah, that would have been great.  Hopefully one of the candidates doing a FOX town hall will do this.

14 hours ago, Gawain said:

Just because we needed another...

De Blasio's announcing tomorrow

Couple key indicators:

I have to say, despite the numbers the field has been pretty fool free. The Trump campaign runs on fumes from mockery and cynicism, and the video and quotes from this will probably be a boon to it.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

1 hour ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I have to say, despite the numbers the field has been pretty fool free. The Trump campaign runs on fumes from mockery and cynicism, and the video and quotes from this will probably be a boon to it.

Bill de Blasio’s first interview as a presidential candidate was marred on Thursday by protesters chanting “Liar!” and “Can’t run the city! Can’t run the country!” throughout the live segment.

All I can imagine is he's done as NYC mayor and just wants to build a name. If anyone is telling BDB he can win they're ready for Bellevue.

2 hours ago, lazyike said:

Civility, decency. Wouldn't it be grand to have a President who doesn't lie in almost every sentence and constantly repeat that lie over and over again? Wouldn't it be nice in a weekend to not have a President tweet over 100 divisive name calling attacks on everyone including the  FBI director he appointed? Wouldn't it be nice to not have  President viciously attack our military heros, our institutions, and mainstream media? Gosh I could go on and on.

Completely understand where you're coming from, but that wasn't my question. Everybody knows and most long for a world unTrumped, but our current president happened because American government wasn't working.

I like Joe Biden a great deal. Until he announced himself as a presidential candidate in '07 (equal-time regs sidelining him), he was Charlie Rose's go-to guy on foreign policy matters and i was always impressed with his capacity and understanding. But he's a corporate Democrat, a go-along-to-get-along Senatorial-type who can talk to anyone and convince no one. A nice Hillary, more-or-less. I won't go into how the Clintons sold Dempolitik down the river or how i seethe that Joe's old boss didn't even divert the flood of corruption from Dubya's truly ruinous presidency, but you're signing up to go back to the America that made Trump possible, if not necessary, if your put Joe Biden at the head of our nation.

Edited by wikkidpissah

35 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

The Democratic primary field now has a starting offense, a starting defense, and a kicker.

we could have some fun with that.  I like Buttigieg at strong safety

Samantha B - a joy when she was on the Daily Show, but who now leads the latenite field in strident, kneejerk wokeflakeness - nonetheless nailed it with this on Biden

ETA: NSFW language

Edited by wikkidpissah

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

Samantha B - a joy when she was on the Daily Show, but who now leads the latenite field in strident, kneejerk wokeflakeness - nonetheless nailed it with this on Biden

:lmao:

Don't pick on him!!!!!  :cry: 

5 hours ago, joffer said:
6 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

The Democratic primary field now has a starting offense, a starting defense, and a kicker.

we could have some fun with that.  I like Buttigieg at strong safety

Please, no "Wide Receiver" jokes.

I realize that more news comes out every day, so the story never has a natural end point. But we should start to get some TV movies pretty soon dramatizing the first year or so of the Trump administration, right?

Maybe followed by some more TV movies dramatizing the events described in the Mueller report?

Definitely before next November? (With a hat tip to Citizens United.)

10 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

wow, is she seriously criticizing a democrat for the things they did?  doesn't she know the bad orange man is in office?  democrats eating their own and carrying water for Trump again, wow, just wow,, 

Look, De Blasio probably has no shot, but it’s not insane either. You look at this field: there’s over 20 people and most of the public doesn’t have any clue who most of them are. They know Biden and they know Bernie. Biden’s probably the nominee but at some point he’s going to have some opposition beyond Bernie. So why not De Blasio? He probably figures that if he can get into one of the debates, catch some lightning in a bottle, who knows? 

3 hours ago, timschochet said:

Look, De Blasio probably has no shot, but it’s not insane either. You look at this field: there’s over 20 people and most of the public doesn’t have any clue who most of them are. They know Biden and they know Bernie. Biden’s probably the nominee but at some point he’s going to have some opposition beyond Bernie. So why not De Blasio? He probably figures that if he can get into one of the debates, catch some lightning in a bottle, who knows? 

His own state appears to hate him and while that wouldn't be a problem for him if he's a Republican, I don't think it bodes well for a Democrat.  He's done before he even starts, IMO.

1 hour ago, Bucky86 said:

https://twitter.com/RachelBitecofer/status/1128380683796271105?s=20

Interesting look at voters in 2018 because of the Kavanaugh nomination. 

I wonder if this Alabama abortion mess is going to backfire bigly for Republicans?

It really only matters in Florida, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan.  If the Democrats were smart they would make this one of the key talking points in those states.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

It really only matters in Florida, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan.  If the Democrats were smart they would make this one of the key talking points in those states.

They’re doing this already. And you don’t need to be smart, either; it’s a complete no-brainer. 

Most elections are: it’s the economy, stupid! 

This election will be: it’s suburban women, stupid! 

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

They’re doing this already. And you don’t need to be smart, either; it’s a complete no-brainer. 

Most elections are: it’s the economy, stupid! 

This election will be: it’s suburban women, stupid!

I may need to revise my projection about Georgia staying purple in 2020 and 2024.  With this bill I think it makes 2024 likely flip to blue and an outside shot at it happening in 2020.

https://twitter.com/RachelBitecofer/status/1128380683796271105?s=20

Interesting look at voters in 2018 because of the Kavanaugh nomination. 

I wonder if this Alabama abortion mess is going to backfire bigly for Republicans?

The EC will minimize this on the Presidential scale...probably little impact.  However, it could be a factor in House/Senate races.

• Like 2

This is a winning issue for Trump. 

The majority of Americans disagree, but this is not the number one issue to that majority. To the minority that drives this, this is their singular focus. If you wonder why evangelicals support Trump, this is why. This one issue is going to get them out to vote for him again and getting out the vote is the only way he wins. 

But to your point, I'm sure there are an awful lot of Senators - particularly those that don't have a large evangelical electorate - that are not happy about this. 

Would a cinematic dramatization of volume II of the Mueller report not get good ratings? I think it would. Is this in the works? If not, why not?

A lot of people understandably refuse to read the report because it's really long, seems like it would probably be pretty dry (until one starts reading it), and people have other stuff to do.

But a two-hour Netflix movie is an investment viewers would be willing to make, I think.

On 5/17/2019 at 10:34 AM, prefontaine said:

This is a winning issue for Trump. 

The majority of Americans disagree, but this is not the number one issue to that majority. To the minority that drives this, this is their singular focus. If you wonder why evangelicals support Trump, this is why. This one issue is going to get them out to vote for him again and getting out the vote is the only way he wins. 

Understand your point, but I don’t think it applies. The vast majority of evangelicals live in states that are already locked in for Trump- in those states driving up their vote is meaningless. 

In the states that matter (Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc.) driving up the evangelical vote would be helpful to Trump for sure, but it’s countermanded in each of those states by suburban women are who likely to resist. Because of those women I would have to think that this actually hurts President Trump. 

20 minutes ago, timschochet said:

In the states that matter (Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc.) driving up the evangelical vote would be helpful to Trump for sure, but it’s countermanded in each of those states by suburban women are who likely to resist. Because of those women I would have to think that this actually hurts President Trump. 

Those folks are already highly motivated to vote against him. We saw that in the midterms. 

3 minutes ago, prefontaine said:

Those folks are already highly motivated to vote against him. We saw that in the midterms. 

I suspect this is true, but the midterms aren't airtight proof. Trump personally is more popular than other Republican politicians, so it's possible that Republican turnout will be significantly higher in a Presidential election year than in a midterm election.

ETA: Never mind. You're talking about Democratic turnout rather than Republican turnout, so I agree with your point.

New Iowa poll from Change Research (C+ from 538)

https://iowastartingline.com/2019/05/20/starting-line-change-research-poll-biden-sanders-locked-in-iowa-tie/

Biden - 24%
Sanders - 24%
Buttigieg - 14%
Warren - 12%
Harris - 10%
O'Rourke - 5%

The rest are too low to matter.

• Like 1