What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Paul Newman's signature role (1 Viewer)

Signature Role

• Ari - Exodus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eddie Felson - The Hustler

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Hud - Hud

• Harper - Lew Harper

• Luke - Cool Hand Luke

Votes: 55 41.0%
  • Butch - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Judge Roy Bean - The Life and times of Judge Roy Bean

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Henry Gondorff - The Sting

Votes: 14 10.4%
  • Doug Roberts - The Towering Inferno

• Reggie - Slap Shot

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • Frank Galvin - The Verdict

• John Rooney - The Road to Perdition

• Doc Hudson - Cars

• Newman's - Spaghetti Sauce, Salad Dressing, etc.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Other

• Total voters
Two came to mind right away -- Sting and Hustler.  Went with the former.  It was close for me, though.

Cool Hand is his signature role but I think he's never been better as an actor than in The Verdict. He was able to escape everything that typically comes with being Paul Newman. 

I went Henry Gondorff. There's two Paul Newmans - the brash **** of Graziano, Brick, Fast Eddie & Luke and the guy who's had it all and thrown it away who likes both just as much, who i love. Gondorff was the most inbetween of those two Newmans

The color of money deserves a mention. 
One of his best scenes in any movie was when he realizes that Forrest Whitaker has hustled him. He has very little dialouge, it is all in his body language. 

You can see that he realizes that not only has he lost his playing skills, but also the ability to recognize the hustle. He sees himself as a tired old man. 

I agree with most here. Luke will win but I voted the Sting because it’s one of my all time favorite movies and he was fantastic in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luke is his signature role...don’t think it’s that close.  Shakin’ It here, boss...

But a role I love him in, which was one of his last ones, was Sully in Nobody’s Fool.

"Cool Hand Luke" probably but "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" is a close second. I think "The Hustler" and "Color of Money" are some his best work. Films like "Hud", "Harper" and its sequel "The Drowning Pool", and "MacKintosh Man" all feel about the same in that they're good but not great. He's got a terrific body of work really.

Damn, that is a heck of a career.  Those are some great great performances and roles.

Went with the obvious choice of Cool Hand Luke but the Sting was so good that I almost went with it.

Cool Hand is his signature role but I think he's never been better as an actor than in The Verdict. He was able to escape everything that typically comes with being Paul Newman. 
Yeah, his performance isn’t just his best it’s one of the best.

The Hustler makes me wished I grew up back then.  I want the bars to be open a 6 am and live out of the bus station.  

Terrific actor, one of the all time greats.  Eddie for me.  

Sting and Luke are two of my favorite movies of all time, probably top 5. But Judge Roy is Newman just OWNING the screen for two hours. 

Users who are viewing this thread