What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Happy Veterans Day (1 Viewer)

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
IN 1917 2.8 MILLION AMERICANS WERE DRAFTED INTO SERVICE TO SAVE EUROPE.  WHEN THEY ARRIVED IN FRANCE ALLIED FORCES WANTED GENERAL JOHN BLACKJACK PERSHING TO BREAK UP THE AMERICANS INTO MANY COALITION UNITS.  

PERSHING SAID NO, HIS DOUGHBOYS WOULD FIGHT AS ONE.  A YEAR LATER PERSHING AND 600 THOUSAND AMERICANS FOUGHT THE 100 DAYS OFFENSIVE, TAKING GROUND THE GERMANS HAD HELD FOR THREE YEARS.  THIS EFFORT DIRECTLY RESULTED IN THE GERMANS SURRENDERING AND SIGNING THE ARMISTACE ON NOVEMEMBER 11TH, 1918. WE ARE AMERICAN VETERANS.  

FROM THE MARINES AT IWO JIMO TO AIR FORCE PARARESCUE IN EASTERN AFGHANISTAN, WE ARE AMERICAN VETERANS.

FROM SOLDIERS IN THE BATTLE OF LE DRANG VIETNAM TO SAILORS IN THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY, WE ARE AMERICAN VETERANS.

FROM THE OIL FIELDS OF KUWAIT, TO THE FORESTS OF BELGIUM WE ARE AMERICAN VETERANS.

FROM INFANTRYMEN, TO TAIL GUNNERS, TO ARTILLERY, TO BRINGING IN BEANS AND BULLETS, WE ARE AMERICAN VETERANS.  

WE HAVE ANSWERED THE CALL AND OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN ARMS STILL ARE OUT THERE TODAY PROTECTING OUR FLAG, OUR IDEALS, AND OUR REPUBLIC AGAINST ALL ENEMIES FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC.  WE ARE AMERICAN VETERANS.

??

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve never taken advantage of any free stuff. I suppose I’d need an ID card for that? Do you other vets have ID cards? I don’t have one. 

I’ve never taken advantage of any free stuff. I suppose I’d need an ID card for that? Do you other vets have ID cards? I don’t have one. 
I'm retired military, so yes, I have an ID card. I imagine your DD-214 suffices. I actually have no idea if places require proof. That may be one of those things they just "suck it up" rather than ask for proof.

One year I did it and everything just clicked. Went for a late breakfast, no lines. Skipped lunch and went for an early dinner, no lines. I thought, wow, this is great! Ever since that day, every time I tried it again, lines were out the door if not around the block and I've ended up giving up or waiting an hour for dinner. So I don't bother anymore. That's life in a military city I guess. My dad lived in our small home town and never had an issue getting right in.

I'm retired military, so yes, I have an ID card. I imagine your DD-214 suffices. I actually have no idea if places require proof. That may be one of those things they just "suck it up" rather than ask for proof.

One year I did it and everything just clicked. Went for a late breakfast, no lines. Skipped lunch and went for an early dinner, no lines. I thought, wow, this is great! Ever since that day, every time I tried it again, lines were out the door if not around the block and I've ended up giving up or waiting an hour for dinner. So I don't bother anymore. That's life in a military city I guess. My dad lived in our small home town and never had an issue getting right in.
So how would I obtain an ID card? Is it as easy as taking my DD-214 to my local veterans office? 

I wrote the OP and read it today at our Veteran’s Day Ceremony. Did pretty good considering I drank a few too many last night at the Marine Corps Birthday party. Now to Red Robin for free lunch! 

I wrote the OP and read it today at our Veteran’s Day Ceremony. Did pretty good considering I drank a few too many last night at the Marine Corps Birthday party. Now to Red Robin for free lunch! 
Free lunch at Logan's Roadhouse for vets today too. 

Just found out Walgreens offers a discount to vets.  I was wearing my ARMY cap cashier asked me if I was a vet?  She said you get a discount.  Didn't need any ID.  I guess you could always use your DD-214.

Tomorrow I am a guest reader at an elementary school. They said I can bring my favorite children’s book, but I’m just going to read all of Marlon Brando’s lines from Apocalypse Now. :thumbup:

Tomorrow I am a guest reader at an elementary school. They said I can bring my favorite children’s book, but I’m just going to read all of Marlon Brando’s lines from Apocalypse Now. :thumbup:
Heart of Darkness, for sure. 

Just read Dr. Suess for the kiddies. Be just as prescient, likely, and more kid-friendly. 

Jk, I know you're kidding.  

Happy Veteran's day to all those who have served or continue to serve!  Thank you for your sacrafice and service! 

If you merely separated, I don't think you can. Just carry the DD-214 to the restaurant.
You can get a Veterans ID card from VA (you will need your DD 214). Also, I know here in NJ DMV will give you a thing on your license stating that you're a vet. I would assume others do also.

So how would I obtain an ID card? Is it as easy as taking my DD-214 to my local veterans office? 
Here in Texas if you submit your DD-214 along with your DL renewal you get a "VETERAN" designation on your DL. It hasn't gotten me any discounted or free stuff yet but I almost always forget to ask if a place offers a discount.

Here in Texas if you submit your DD-214 along with your DL renewal you get a "VETERAN" designation on your DL. It hasn't gotten me any discounted or free stuff yet but I almost always forget to ask if a place offers a discount.

Same in Tennessee.

Did not know that. I have my retired ID so don't need it. But good to know in case others ask like in this thread. I have been considering the AF Retired license plate. But I'm always to lazy to carry my DD-214 in to get it done.

Same in Tennessee.
And Alabama. I got it last year. 

I won't get the Army retired or disabled vet plates (honestly wouldn't feel right using the disabled plate) but I got the Army license plate last year after I retired and had to get new plates. 

It's funny living here, we have a huge vet presence, probably among the biggest vet to active ratios anywhere. So our veterans day specials get swamped. 

Salute to all, never forget. 

Just came across this yesterday and thought I should share. Comcast/Xfinity has a $100 Visa card and a $25 Xfinity coupon for Active and Veterans. 

Go to Xfinity.com/military and follow the instructions. You gotta send some sort of ID (214, ID card, etc.). No idea how long the process will take, but hopefully quick. I did mine this morning. 

Just came across this yesterday and thought I should share. Comcast/Xfinity has a $100 Visa card and a $25 Xfinity coupon for Active and Veterans. 

Go to Xfinity.com/military and follow the instructions. You gotta send some sort of ID (214, ID card, etc.). No idea how long the process will take, but hopefully quick. I did mine this morning. 
Good looking out!!

Users who are viewing this thread