What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

California fires - smoke is no joke (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
First; the devastation is terrible, and anything football is secondary to the 250,000 displaced people & lives lost. 

I don’t mean to trivialize any of that by talking football.

But this is a football site, and also a footballl topic since the fires have an impact. 

So I’ll say this: I work outside. I worked outside yesterday. It was brutal. 

I’m heavily invested in chargers (Allen, Gordon, TyWill) & Rams (Gurley) between my 2 leagues.

Reportedly NFL consultants/air quality monitors gave the all-clear but I’m 300 miles from the fire standing at my market wearing a bandana over my face because when I take it off I start coughing within minutes.

the air quality here is brutal - everything is hazy & the sun is merely a blood red glow in the sky. 

I cannot imagine how bad it is in LA. 

While they’re going to play the games, I’m lowering expectations. I’m betting players will rotate in & out more frequently to get oxygen. 

Obviously I’m not benching the players I listed. If I had a better option I’d bench Ty. BYE week makes that unrealistic for me. But If you have marginal players in those games, I’d recommend benching them. 

A californian’s perspective, standing out in heavy, acrid, smokey air. 

Good luck everyone, and bless those in SoCal - it’s a nightmare scenario & no one should have to suffer that kind of devastation. :(  

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m self employed & alas, my mortgage doesn’t pay itself. 

I’ve got a mask on - it’s itchy as hell. But beats breathing in all the crap in the air. 
I hear you but you’re literally breathing in the single worst stuff you can breathe in. I have a buddy who’s friend is a doctor whose job is  look at people’s lungs all day. He says the single worst thing you can breathe in carcinogens from fire.

Just be carful /wear a good mask with the right cartridges. 

I live and work in Roseville/Rocklin area and yesterday was god awful.  I have never had respiratory issues, until yesterday.  Weird to see people walking around with masks on. 

Live in the IE (Temecula) and there are no signs of the fires here, clear skies.  Wind direction really dictates this.  With the stadiums south of the fires I think they are being effected much less.  

Live in the IE (Temecula) and there are no signs of the fires here, clear skies.  Wind direction really dictates this.  With the stadiums south of the fires I think they are being effected much less.  
I’m glad to hear - from up North one assumes the whole state is blanketed in smoke. 

MNF may still be relocated apparently. 

I’m glad to hear - from up North one assumes the whole state is blanked in smoke. 

MNF may still be relocated apparently. 
This #### is so scary. 10-12 yrs ago we were evacuated in the big San Diego fires, lived there then and fires burned to just a few streets over.  It’s scary as hell and absolutely no joke, my thoughts a prayers go out to all affected.  Keep that mask close HSG.  

Terrifying.  I live in coastal mid-OC - all clear here.

Really hazy yesterday - not sure if that was weather or smoke, but it looked like last year when we had fires here.  Sun looked like a blotched out hazy glowing tomato.

Go Rams!

FWIW, I just swapped out Shepard for Sanu due to mnf uncertainty and projected to win by 40 and facing Matt Ryan. 

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

NFL always discusses contingency plans for games, and with fires raging in Northern and Southern California, it considered moving today's Chargers-Raiders game to Dallas on Monday night, per source. But no need for now.

Michael Gehlken‏Verified account @GehlkenNFL 36m36 minutes ago

Air quality not ideal as Raiders fans arrive for tailgate at Coliseum. NFL considered moving 1:05 p.m. game vs. Chargers to Monday evening at Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, per @AdamSchefter. This was also contingency site in 2017 for Chargers-Raiders amid wildfires.

Jordan Raanan‏Verified account @JordanRaanan 50m50 minutes ago

The NFL is currently monitoring the Monday night game between the Giants and 49ers because of air conditions stemming from the Camp Fire in the area. “At this point, all games will kickoff as scheduled,” per an NFL league spokesman.

I hear you but you’re literally breathing in the single worst stuff you can breathe in. I have a buddy who’s friend is a doctor whose job is  look at people’s lungs all day. He says the single worst thing you can breathe in carcinogens from fire.

Just be carful /wear a good mask with the right cartridges. 

Not my intent to trivialize, but this is the literally worst stuff a human could possibly breath in?  And he’s a doctor?

Users who are viewing this thread