What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Attention All Manning Haters (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joee Smiff

Footballguy
You guys are the biggest bunch of 'whiny tools' in the history of FBGs.com.I mean...listen to yourselves. You guys are #####ing and moaning because a guy makes it known where he wants to play and where he doesnt want to play? You guys are delusional and blowing off steam when you suggest that he should just be grateful to have a job in the NFL.Why should he be grateful? Was anything given to him? No, he had to work his ### off and exhibit the skills needed to even be drafted. And while we are talking about drafting...think about that. I am sure some of you would love to go through a draft in your industry. Yeah, sure...you would prefer to go to XYZ company with a good reputation and is well known for taking care of its employees and perks...not to mention its great location with fabulous year round weather. Tough...you are going to BFE where its either freezing or burning and the owners are cheapskates known to pinch pennies at every turn.NFL players have arguably the worst lot as a professional athlete in the big sports. They have the shortest careers and have absolutely no guaranteed contracts. He has every right as a professional to use the miminal leverage he has in this process. I would do everything i could to prevent myself from going to a team I absolutely have no faith in resulting in me spending a good 5-7 years with a team that has shown no ability to develop and support quarterbacking talent....nevermind the fact that the stud (LT2) and current franchise player is reportedly not interested in returning after his contract is up.Why should Manning have to sit and eat #### pie? I know you guys like to think that drafts are simply a one way street and the little kids should fall in line and do what the parents say...but sorry...you guys are out of line. And it isnt as if there arent any consequences.If he sits out for the year he loses big time dough, risks injury without a contract and loses a year of development. Or if he slides down he gets less dough.

I agree with everything in this thread so far except for the part that you wrote. He has known since a very young age that there is a draft in the NFL. You're probably aware by now that his father was an NFL player. If he tries to pull some power move and force a team's hand, I think most football purists would agree that it is bull####.edit to spell "his" right

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with everything in this thread so far except for the part that you wrote. He has known since a very young age that there is a draft in the NFL. You're probably aware by now that hsi father was an NFL player. If he tries to pull some power move and force a team's hand, I think most football purists would agree that it is bull####.
Who gives a flying #### what the purists think? It is his life. It is his right to exert as much leverage as he can (and NFL players/rookies dont have a lot of leverage) to make the best of his life. He owes it to himself.He doesnt owe any team a damn thing.Of course, you might be one of those guys who went to medical school and became a doctor because that is what YOUR parents wanted for your life.

At first glance you make some sense but the whole idea of the draft is the wost teams get a shot at getting better and they have to pay alot of $$ to the guy they pick so every one makes out.This is the way the system works and judging by the parity in the nfl(unlike the real wine bags in baseball)it is a proven system.These are young men getting paid hefty sums of money to play a game they love,so shut up and play.

I will reiterate a point I made in another 1 of the 73 Eli threads. If he goes to San Diego and doesn't like it, he will be a FA in no more/less than 3 year. Why put up such a fight when you are bound to play for at least 2 teams minimum in your career.On the other hand, I find it difficult to stand people hating the Mannings as a family for any reason. It seems like the purest form of envy I've ever seen. It is worse than the recent hate posts for New England. If somebody is at the top, they should stay off of this message board because the piling on is dreadful.

Draft him and let him sit at home for a year and reenter the draft. Then Arizona can draft him next year and repeat as necessary. Dont like it too damn bad.

If somebody is at the top, they should stay off of this message board because the piling on is dreadful.
I'm rather sure the Manning family isn't check in here to get the FBG opinion.

How about you shut your trap and I'll feel anyway i want to about Manning #####ing about not wanting to go a team that needs him. :fro:

Playing in the NFL is a priviledge, not a right. Everyone from Manning to Clarrett needs to understand that. I am tired of athletes who think they are entitled and are better than everyone else. I understand that Manning's father is the one who said this, but I haven't heard Eli say anything to calm the storm. Whether he plays for SD or NYG or whoever, he will get paid more money in one year than 99% of the rest of the population will make in a lifetime. He, and every other athlete should just shut up, do their job and be grateful they have the opportunity to make a fortune doing something the rest of would do for free - PLAY A GAME.

Good post. :thumbup: If I was a QB I would want to play for a Marty coached team. 1st down hand off to LT, 2nd down hand off to LT, 3rd and long Manning is sacked. :wall:

Playing in the NFL is a priviledge, not a right. Everyone from Manning to Clarrett needs to understand that. I am tired of athletes who think they are entitled and are better than everyone else. I understand that Manning's father is the one who said this, but I haven't heard Eli say anything to calm the storm. Whether he plays for SD or NYG or whoever, he will get paid more money in one year than 99% of the rest of the population will make in a lifetime. He, and every other athlete should just shut up, do their job and be grateful they have the opportunity to make a fortune doing something the rest of would do for free - PLAY A GAME.
Why is it a privilege?Because you dont have the talent to be where he is at? If someone goes to school and gets their masters at Wharton and become a Wall Street Investment Banker...should he just shut up and take whatever the first company gives him because it will be a privilege to make more money than the average american?Have you ever considered the fact that it would be a privilege, not a right, for a team to enjoy and utilize his talents and services?

If someone goes to school and gets their masters at Wharton and become a Wall Street Investment Banker...should he just shut up and take whatever the first company gives him because it will be a privilege to make more money than the average american?
I think this is a bad analogy. The NFL is the company he wants to work for(he could go to Canada if he chooses another company), and the company decides which office he will work.

If someone goes to school and gets their masters at Wharton and become a Wall Street Investment Banker...should he just shut up and take whatever the first company gives him because it will be a privilege to make more money than the average american?
Should he be allowed to circumvent the rules that govern a fair marketplace just because his old man was an investment banker? Does this make insider trading okay for him, while everyone else has to earn commissions according to the rules set out by the SEC?

Should he be allowed to circumvent the rules that govern a fair marketplace just because his old man was an investment banker? Does this make insider trading okay for him, while everyone else has to earn commissions according to the rules set out by the SEC?
Excellent point here VD.

How is he circumventing the rules? There are obvious consequences for various actions he could choose. You make this sound like the player has all the control in the world. He has minimal control.

I think this is a bad analogy. The NFL is the company he wants to work for(he could go to Canada if he chooses another company), and the company decides which office he will work.
First of all, he doesnt want to work for the NFL. He wants to play in the NFL. He wants to work for a team other than the Chargers.And the feelings are pretty mutual. There are 31 other teams that would like to hire him and would want to be his employer.

Both VD and Saints-man said it.Wow, this board is active. I didn't even get the chance to chime in before these guys took the words out of my mouth, for the most part. I like this place.

Really? :confused: Should I edit it, do you think?
Absolutely. Once you and I start making cogent points in the Shark Pool it will become expected of us and we can't revert to our normal silliness in the FFA.

How is he circumventing the rules?

There are obvious consequences for various actions he could choose. You make this sound like the player has all the control in the world. He has minimal control.
Er...I was talking about the stock broker. Those rules. Just completing the analogy. Insider trading is the way a stock broker gets around the fair marketplace.Eli gets around it by using his not inconsiderable leverage to tell the team that has earned (by dubious achievement) the right to pick the best amateur talent in this year's draft to cram it up their ###. Just about every other player in Eli's position couldn't get away with that, because they aren't children of wealth and privilege. Or if another player DID pull this ####, at least he'd be a slightly sympathetic character, because he genuinely would be giving up the chance of a lifetime in exchange for his freedom. (If he took it to the extreme of sitting out a year.) Eli can just sit back and let Pop and Big Bro take care of him for a year, and can keep working out with them to stay sharp, and he's no worse off than he would have been otherwise.

So he's in a unique position, and is using that leverage to manipulate the system -- a system designed to maintain the competitive balance -- for his benefit. I mean, he'll get away with it, and it's not like it's illegal or anything. Nobody's saying that. We're just saying he's a piece of #### for doing so.

How is he circumventing the rules?
He's not necessarily circumventing any rules but he is certainly being a little ##### here. By threatening to refuse to sign his contract with the Chargers he is effectively trying to destroy their leverage with the pick and he really is effectively spoiling their ability to get any value out of their pick. When you were playing footall growing up(I'm praying you did here), if you were picked by the lesser of the two teams would you refuse to play for them because you didn't have the chance to win? Well, maybe you did....bad point on my part.The NFL is about parity and teams that are bad can't get good if ###holes like Eli Manning are able to rob them of that ability. I don't necessarily love my employer but they allow me to pay my ####ing bills so I shut up adn deal with it. Other working class people that watch the games that pay his salary feel the same and he runs the risk of alienating his potential fan base with this one move.

How is he circumventing the rules? There are obvious consequences for various actions he could choose. You make this sound like the player has all the control in the world. He has minimal control.
He didn't make it sound like the player has all the power, although the players do have more power than you are making it out. If the Chargers trade down for less than market value, which is probably what will happen if they trade down, or if they select someone else, that will display the power a player has. It has happened before, and I am sure it will happen again. It doesn't mean we have to like it. What I really don't like is someone like you telling me what I have to like or else to shut up. Who are you to tell me what to do and how to feel about something? I may not be happy about players acting like primadonnas, but if you don't agree, that is your right and I wouldn't tell you how to react.

I know I'm being fished here but who can walk away from a perfectly good pissing match?
I don't think it counts as fishing if the fish are just swimming all over the lake looking for fun new places to insult the bait.

First of all, he doesnt want to work for the NFL. He wants to play in the NFL. He wants to work for a team other than the Chargers.And the feelings are pretty mutual. There are 31 other teams that would like to hire him and would want to be his employer.
Play in the NFL = work in the NFLThe Chargers don't make sense except in the concept of the NFL. Let's say he wants to play for the Giants. Okay...at the next owners meeting, the other NFL owners now vote the Giants out of the league(this is a hypothetical). Are the Giants of any relevance any more? Do you think any of the players would want to play for them, even at full salary? I would think they would not. What makes them relevant is that they are a franchise of the NFL. I am old enough to remember the USFL. All the USFL players wanted to play in the NFL. It was their ultimate goal. Some played in the USFL for more money, others played for more playing time, others played because it was the only league they could make.

Er...I was talking about the stock broker. Those rules. Just completing the analogy. Insider trading is the way a stock broker gets around the fair marketplace.

Eli gets around it by using his not inconsiderable leverage to tell the team that has earned (by dubious achievement) the right to pick the best amateur talent in this year's draft to cram it up their ###. Just about every other player in Eli's position couldn't get away with that, because they aren't children of wealth and privilege. Or if another player DID pull this ####, at least he'd be a slightly sympathetic character, because he genuinely would be giving up the chance of a lifetime in exchange for his freedom. (If he took it to the extreme of sitting out a year.) Eli can just sit back and let Pop and Big Bro take care of him for a year, and can keep working out with them to stay sharp, and he's no worse off than he would have been otherwise.

So he's in a unique position, and is using that leverage to manipulate the system -- a system designed to maintain the competitive balance -- for his benefit. I mean, he'll get away with it, and it's not like it's illegal or anything. Nobody's saying that. We're just saying he's a piece of #### for doing so.
so...you are comparing an ILLEGAL activity like insider trading to Manning stating that he doesnt want to play for San Diego? :confused:

San Diego has earned the right to pick whoever they want. There is nothing that says that a player HAS to go through and play for that team. There are consequences if Manning holds out. Your contention that there isnt is assinine.

And the feelings are pretty mutual. There are 31 other teams that would like to hire him and would want to be his employer.
I would not say that, Im sure a lot of team dont want some one like this. But now that i think about it I cant say much cause im a broncos fan, and Elway did sorta the same thing, except he had the option to go play baseball, instead of just sitting on the bench or waiting to enter the draft till next year. Anyway If i was a head coach I would not want this punk on my team, no one is above the game. The draft is there for a reason, to help the crappy teams get better, if all the good college players wine and end up on the good teams, you will get a few great teams, and a lot of crap ### teams.

I don't think it counts as fishing if the fish are just swimming all over the lake looking for fun new places to insult the bait.
I actually prefer to bite at the hook and pull the fisherman as well as his wessel(Star Trek©) to the bottom of the ocean.

He's not necessarily circumventing any rules but he is certainly being a little ##### here. By threatening to refuse to sign his contract with the Chargers he is effectively trying to destroy their leverage with the pick and he really is effectively spoiling their ability to get any value out of their pick. When you were playing footall growing up(I'm praying you did here), if you were picked by the lesser of the two teams would you refuse to play for them because you didn't have the chance to win? Well, maybe you did....bad point on my part.The NFL is about parity and teams that are bad can't get good if ###holes like Eli Manning are able to rob them of that ability. I don't necessarily love my employer but they allow me to pay my ####ing bills so I shut up adn deal with it. Other working class people that watch the games that pay his salary feel the same and he runs the risk of alienating his potential fan base with this one move.
So now you are changing your story and stating that he isnt circumventing the rules. Well, at least we got that clear.WHOA! It wasnt the Mannings that leaked this..so dont blame him for some perceived threatening of leverage. That is complete bunk.And there isnt any lost leverage on the part of San Diego. If a trade is going to get done, it is going to have to be satisfactory to San Diego and the trading partner. What does this revelation do to decrease San Diegos leverage? Can you elaborate on this?Yes...the NFL is about parity. That means contracts arent guaranteed and if you play for a piece of #### team and it hurts your development or stats...guess what...you are gonna be screwed on the next FA go around...arent you?The NFL is about parity...why? because there is a cap on what the players can earn and there are no guaranteed contracts. It is utterly ridiculous to use the creation of what the owners wanted (a cap and thus parity) against manning as a REASON why he should sign.Funny...when you got your degree from whatever in whatever...I am sure you interviewed with quite a few companies and decided which one was BEST for YOU. That fact that we are talking about much more money is irrelevant. The next time you are looking for a job...and several companies offer you a job...pick one out of a hat.

Who are you to tell me what to do and how to feel about something? I may not be happy about players acting like primadonnas, but if you don't agree, that is your right and I wouldn't tell you how to react.
Arent you one of the clowns tellling Manning to shut up and suck it up and enjoy his privilege?

I would not say that, Im sure a lot of team dont want some one like this. But now that i think about it I cant say much cause im a broncos fan, and Elway did sorta the same thing, except he had the option to go play baseball, instead of just sitting on the bench or waiting to enter the draft till next year. Anyway If i was a head coach I would not want this punk on my team, no one is above the game. The draft is there for a reason, to help the crappy teams get better, if all the good college players wine and end up on the good teams, you will get a few great teams, and a lot of crap ### teams.
We are talking about a league of teams that employs wife beaters, drug addicts, felons, child molestors, those involved in murders, etc.I am sure they can handle a guy who simply states his preference for what team he wants to play for.

The NFL is about parity...why? because there is a cap on what the players can earn and there are no guaranteed contracts. It is utterly ridiculous to use the creation of what the owners wanted (a cap and thus parity) against manning as a REASON why he should sign.
The NFL is all about parity. Thats why we dont have teams like the Yankees that can have payrolls 10 times that of other teams. I dont hate the yankees, they are not breaking any rules, if you have the money to spend in Baseball do what ever you can to bring home that trophy, but in football we like fairness and equality. This means that when you declare for the draft you are agreeing to play in a league of parity. A league in which the crapy teams get the #1 overall pick. PLayers like David Carr are good examples, he knew he was going to go to the new team, one that would probably not have the best OL, and he loved it. He was happy to be given the honor of the #1 overall pick in the draft. If manning thinks he is so good that he is above the rest, then why not show his skills in SD and turn the team around with his talent?

We are talking about a league of teams that employs wife beaters, drug addicts, felons, child molestors, those involved in murders, etc.I am sure they can handle a guy who simply states his preference for what team he wants to play for.
I dont like the fact that the league is filled with druggies. But just cause the sometimes the league looks the other way on that wrong, does not make another wrong ok.

If Eli wanted to play for a good team, he should have went pro last year. There would have been a good chance Baltimore would have traded up for him instead of Boller.

so...you are comparing an ILLEGAL activity like insider trading to Manning stating that he doesnt want to play for San Diego?
And this is more absurd than comparing MBA's to players entering a league-structured draft? My bad.But anyway, yes, I'm comparing them. The two are comparable because they are the ways individuals can unfairly tamper with fairness-ensuring systems set up by each ruling body. It wasn't my goofy analogy.

San Diego has earned the right to pick whoever they want. There is nothing that says that a player HAS to go through and play for that team. There are consequences if Manning holds out. Your contention that there isnt is assinine.
Of course there are consequences. Eli is forced to hang out for a year, jetting back and forth between his family's and brother's mansions, working on his game at his leisure with his All-Pro brother and batteries of personal trainers and the best coaches money can buy. He has options no other player would. Of course becaue he does have them, he'll never have to use them. The system isn't set up to accomodate a siege like that, because the NFL assumes that guaranteed NFL wealth vs. the relative poverty of "regular life" will completely negate these kinds of tactics. But when the chance comes up, a spoiled kid can manipulate the system unfairly and **** with the competitive balance of the league.

The NFL is all about parity. Thats why we dont have teams like the Yankees that can have payrolls 10 times that of other teams. I dont hate the yankees, they are not breaking any rules, if you have the money to spend in Baseball do what ever you can to bring home that trophy, but in football we like fairness and equality. This means that when you declare for the draft you are agreeing to play in a league of parity. A league in which the crapy teams get the #1 overall pick. PLayers like David Carr are good examples, he knew he was going to go to the new team, one that would probably not have the best OL, and he loved it. He was happy to be given the honor of the #1 overall pick in the draft. If manning thinks he is so good that he is above the rest, then why not show his skills in SD and turn the team around with his talent?
Yes. The league is set up so that the crappy teams get the number one pick. That doesnt mean they are guaranteed nor are the ENTITLED to the number one player. It is a two way street.Who cares what David Carrs attitude was regarding the situation. That has no relevance to Manning. Maybe Manning cares more about winning than the Chargers...thus the insecure whining from the peanut gallery.

I dont like the fact that the league is filled with druggies. But just cause the sometimes the league looks the other way on that wrong, does not make another wrong ok.
So, now you are saying that many other teams would love to have him on their team? Ill take your post above as a retraction of your earlier comment.Thanks for playing.

I've said it once, I'll say it again.

Don't piss in the Shark Pool

Yes, this thread is considered taking a leak on hallowed ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread