What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PUNK Music Draft - Now Ongoing post awesome punk songs thread (1 Viewer)

I could probably play, but I don't know that I know enough about punk (especially old punk) to be good at this.  I'd draft a lot of garbage pop punk from the mid-00s though.

I'm just an extremely interested observer.  I'm on vacation for several more days, and drafting sounds like effort.  I can't effort while on vacation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I went to this site: https://www.random.org/lists/

I entered the people who I'm sure are confirmed. 

It spit out this order:

Ilov80s

Ron Swanson

AcerFC

Long Ball Larry

Northern Voice

Eephus

Bonzai

AhrnCityPahnder

rockaction

trogg78

JZilla

modogg

El Floppo

Herb

Happens to work out with Herb at the bottom as requested and @Ilov80s who is raring to go at the top to kick things off.

is there a particular goal to your "team"?  i've never done one of these music drafts, but my initial feeling is that i would use some combination of songs that i think are significant, songs that were popular, and songs that i just like.

Wow, first pick. I wasn't totally ready and am just drafting on the fly. I have to go with a band that was totally written off as juvenile and disposable but now with perspective we see was one the most influential and enduring bands of the era:

1.01 Dammit by Blink 182

*90s

Okay, I went to this site: https://www.random.org/lists/

I entered the people who I'm sure are confirmed. 

It spit out this order:

Ilov80s

Ron Swanson

AcerFC

Long Ball Larry

Northern Voice

Eephus

Bonzai

AhrnCityPahnder

rockaction

trogg78

JZilla

modogg

El Floppo

Herb

Happens to work out with Herb at the bottom as requested and @Ilov80s who is raring to go at the top to kick things off.
My link

Wow, first pick. I wasn't totally ready and am just drafting on the fly. I have to go with a band that was totally written off as juvenile and disposable but now with perspective we see was one the most influential and enduring bands of the era:

1.01 Dammit by Blink 182
Yeah, I love it. I think there will be quite a divide here in terms of pop-punk and where it falls in, but I'll definitely be taking a few in this vein.

Does Against Me! count as female punk?  :oldunsure: 

ETA: :regularunsure: :justunsure: :unsure:   :oldunsure:

I feel like Tony Mandarich was just drafted. Sorry to offend your sensibilities 
The opposite of Mandarich. Mandarich was viewed as a sure thing, once in a generation player. In retrospect we know he was a huge bust. Blink is Antonio Brown. Late round pick thatt turned into a Hall of Famer. 

I saw Blink the first time they played in NY when they opened up for Fear at Irving Plaza. There were about 10 of us who knew any of their songs. We didnt even stick around for Fear. My buddy chatted up their manager Rick Devoe who got us into a couple of Unwritten Law shows a little later. 

Man, that seems like a million years ago. 

I saw Blink the first time they played in NY when they opened up for Fear at Irving Plaza. There were about 10 of us who knew any of their songs. We didnt even stick around for Fear. My buddy chatted up their manager Rick Devoe who got us into a couple of Unwritten Law shows a little later. 

Man, that seems like a million years ago. 
Cuz it was? 

Also, mentioning Fear in the middle of the draft seems like a bit of a faux pas. Dont be that guy.

Are we really concerned about draft positioning and spotlighting in this thing
No, of course not. Just playing. 

But I swear to Christ if someone takes I Love Livin in the City before me I will find out where you live...

Oh boy, this got ugly quickfast. Knew it would. Punk!   
What is your take on Blink? I knew it would be decisive. There does seem to be a generational gap with them where people say 40 and over tend to not like them and people under 40 tend to think they were one of the best things going in late 90s music. 

The opposite of Mandarich. Mandarich was viewed as a sure thing, once in a generation player. In retrospect we know he was a huge bust. Blink is Antonio Brown. Late round pick thatt turned into a Hall of Famer. 
You right about Mandarich. As far as Steelers receivers go , blink’s ceiling is Plaxico and floor is Markus Wheaton . Antonio, I say nay nay

What is your take on Blink? I knew it would be decisive. There does seem to be a generational gap with them where people say 40 and over tend to not like them and people under 40 tend to think they were one of the best things going in late 90s music. 
Honestly, I have no real quality opinion on them. I'm inclined not to like them for their TRL status, but am also a big fan of Blink-182's eponymous album. So there's that. I'm just ambivalent, that's all. I like Blink-182, frankly. It's not a 1.01 pick, but you did okay with Saquon, so I'll cede.  

Blink is fine. Their Cheshire cat and Dude Ranch albums are just as punk as any of those other bands in so cal at the time. No spotlighting

They blew up. People like to say they are not this or that when they did  

I always think about Jason Newsted at times like these. When asked if Metallica sold out, he said yup. We sold out every arena we played in. 

Draft what you like, I am.  People can hit skip. 

You right about Mandarich. As far as Steelers receivers go , blink’s ceiling is Plaxico and floor is Markus Wheaton . Antonio, I say nay nay
I think you underestimate the influence Blink had on emo, pop punk and even now modern rap. That new Lil Peep/XXX song sounds straight off the self titled Blink album. Plus how many punk bands had two legitimately good song writers and singers (#### how many even had 1?)? How many punk bands knew how to do harmonies and understood melody? How many punk bands developed into the kind artistic level that the self titled album reached?

I think you underestimate the influence Blink had on emo, pop punk and even now modern rap. That new Lil Peep/XXX song sounds straight off the self titled Blink album. Plus how many punk bands had two legitimately good song writers and singers (#### how many even had 1?)? How many punk bands knew how to do harmonies and understood melody? How many punk bands developed into the kind artistic level that the self titled album reached?
https://youtu.be/TU--X0pC12o

Blink is fine. Their Cheshire cat and Dude Ranch albums are just as punk as any of those other bands in so cal at the time. No spotlighting

They blew up. People like to say they are not this or that when they did  

I always think about Jason Newsted at times like these. When asked if Metallica sold out, he said yup. We sold out every arena we played in. 

Draft what you like, I am.  People can hit skip. 
Yeah, I am not second guessing myself. I love Blink- was just curious.

Honestly, I have no real quality opinion on them. I'm inclined not to like them for their TRL status, but am also a big fan of Blink-182's eponymous album. So there's that. I'm just ambivalent, that's all. I like Blink-182, frankly. It's not a 1.01 pick, but you did okay with Saquon, so I'll cede.  
Being in high school during that late 90s TRL era, Blink 182 was awesome because they were one of the few artists that a teen boy could enjoy on MTV. Move aside Enrique and Backstreet Boys, Blink 182 was on and they were irreverent. It was perfect for a high school boy. That was the end of the MTV era- after Youtube would take over and MTV would move out of the music business. 

. Plus how many punk bands had two legitimately good song writers and singers (#### how many even had 1?)? How many punk bands knew how to do harmonies and understood melody?
I’ll admit being a geezer probably plays into my thoughts about blink but to answer your questions above , a whole #### load 

Blink headlined Warped in 2001ish. We were watching the Vandals I think when they mentioned Blink as the headliner and the crowd booed. Then we got scolded by the lead singer.  I get the whole sellout argument but its bs.  More power to em for making money. Downside is that something that felt like it just belonged to you now suddenly belongs to everyone.

Planning on drafting a song about this, actually. 

Blink headlined Warped in 2001ish. We were watching the Vandals I think when they mentioned Blink as the headliner and the crowd booed. Then we got scolded by the lead singer.  I get the whole sellout argument but its bs.  More power to em for making money. Downside is that something that felt like it just belonged to you now suddenly belongs to everyone.

Planning on drafting a song about this, actually. 
I never got the sellout part for bands. Isn’t that he goal to make $$. If it isn’t they’re doing it wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread