What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Stan Lee - Who if anybody should take over the cameo roles? (1 Viewer)

How many Marvel characters did he create? I know it was a ton, I'm just not sure what the comprehensive list is.

A funny note...

I was literally searching thru the FFA for a thread on the movie "A Star is Born (2018)" when I saw this new thread. ?

For anyone has seen this movie, don't you think that Stan would have been a great 'actor' for the older guy that Lady Gaga gives the rose to when singing the song in the cross-dressing bar at the beginning of the movie?

My wife who sort-of likes Marvel movies didn't get it.

It seems like he had tons of fun in his later years, and there is nothing better than that.

Aw, man, RIP. He did deserve his own thread. 

Spider Man is probably my favorite super hero, both as a kid and as an adult. May they stay true to his work in the upcoming sequels and movies. 

He let his imagination run away with him, and in doing so provided a conduit for millions, if not billions, of people to do the same.  Wasn't just alive in his 90s, but was LIVING.  A true inspiration.  RIP Stan.  Your legacy will live on (quite possibly literally) forever.

It seems like he had tons of fun in his later years, and there is nothing better than that.
Stan Lee was in New Orleans this past January for our Comic Con. I'm glad my kids got to see him in person and hear him interact with the crowd. He'd lost a little off his fastball over the past few years, but he still indulged his fans until the end.

Rest in peace, Stan Lee. 

My first thought was how many cameos does he have left?
Badmojo's tweet above had some comments from other people about this. Not sure how reliable, but: One person said Lee had 40 cameo scenes in the can for future movies. Another person tweeted that Lee had filmed four scenes just this past summer alone.

RIP Excelsior.

"With great power comes great responsibility."  When I first heard those words as a kid, they were inspiring.  I still feel the same way today.  He was a great influencer of mine growing up, and I'm happy I got to share some of that with my youngest son.  I'll never forget him coming home excited to be Stan Lee for his Wax Museum Day at school.   Every movie he would play "Where's Stan the Man?", and was even more excited to see a Stan Lee cameo in Teen Titans Go To The Movies ("Dad! He's in a DC movie!!!") It's going to be a tough conversation with the little guy when I get home from work.

Stan Lee's creativity and daring outlook helped inspire many today, and hopefully that legacy will live on for generations to come.  Thanks for everything Excelsior.  You will be missed.

'Nuff said.

Excelsior!

Spider-Man was my first comic book and my favorite character.. and he still is today (though Deadpool is close).

He had to have loved watching the MCU evolve over the past decade.  

Losing him and Steve Ditko in the same year.. dang.

He was a hero to me.  A guy that shared my name, and brought happiness to millions.  Had a chance to meet him a couple times and get several items signed.  Very sweet man and a pleasure to speak with.  With all the turmoil he has faced in the last couple years, I’m glad he was able to go in peace.

I collected comics when I was a kid, mostly Marvel.  I'm a big fan of his work.  RIP

Just amazing that one man could make such an enormous contribution to entertainment.  Definitely a legend.  
agreed. he will be missed, but glad he was able to see the Marvel revolution in the movie theaters before he passed. Must have made him super pleased and happy with being able to set up Marvel for the future. He was also pretty good with trying to get a lot of the other big names in comics out there too, so hopefully they can each get a little more notoriety too. 

I do hope his family life stuff got worked out before he passed. I don't know the details of what was exactly going on, but I know it sounded pretty messy with his will and stuff like that.  

modogg said:
agreed. he will be missed, but glad he was able to see the Marvel revolution in the movie theaters before he passed. Must have made him super pleased and happy with being able to set up Marvel for the future. He was also pretty good with trying to get a lot of the other big names in comics out there too, so hopefully they can each get a little more notoriety too. 

I do hope his family life stuff got worked out before he passed. I don't know the details of what was exactly going on, but I know it sounded pretty messy with his will and stuff like that.  
Not only glad that he got to see them made into movies, but that the mainstream which had previously looked at comic books ans some sort of niche market finally got to experience the stories that Lee contributed to. It's pretty evident based on ticket sales alone that those stories had a mass appeal all along. 

What is even more amazing is when you look at what comic books were back in 1922 at the time of his birth and you compare those things to what comic books have become at the time of his passing. They went from one dimensional(half a dimension) to complete arcs of complicated characters often times editorializing on modern themes. The world of comics has not just grown but matured into a very important part of literary fiction. Stan Lee was as much a part of that as anyone else. The word "legend" gets thrown around loosely, but not many deserve it as much as Stan Lee does.

sports_fan said:
RIP. I will miss his movie cameos
If they can CGI some dead dude with half a character in Star Wars I am going to be PISSED if they can't CGI a five second clip of Stan Lee in every Marvel movie moving forward. 

I guess it wouldn't even have to be some CGI scene, you could even have his likeness on a billboard in the background, etc. In some ways it might even become an "easter egg" for hard core Lee/Marvel fans.

But the tradition should continue uninterrupted imo in every Marvel movie.

sports_fan said:
RIP. I will miss his movie cameos
Apparently he filmed a good number in advance that will still make it into some upcoming films.

Guy was a huge part of my childhood - and while I stopped reading comics long ago, I love the MCU movies and look forward to each one.

Sad day. Stan Lee, Ditko, and Kirby were guys I just loved growing up.

I was a huge Spider-Man fan as a kid. I was only missing 6 issues of the Amazing Spider-Man, and I had every Spectacular Spider-Man. We had hundreds of others too, all Marvel. My best friend in grade school collected the Avengers and X-Men. It was just a huge part of my childhood.

I moved out when I was still in high school at 17. My mom was so mad at me that she threw away my entire comic collection. I still haven’t fully forgiven her for that.

I moved out when I was still in high school at 17. My mom was so mad at me that she threw away my entire comic collection. I still haven’t fully forgiven her for that.
Ugh. Somebody in college smashed my record collection (It was in an unlocked car) and I've never forgotten it. I can't imagine what it's like for your Mom to do that. Best to you, GB, and I hope you have a good relationship with Mom now.  

kutta said:
Priceless life lesson on what women are capable of when you move on though. I wish someone would have taught that lesson to me when I was 17yo.

That really is low. Much lower than simply stealing them.
Yeah, they didn't even care about the music, it was to break, smash, and bash. I could see if they stole it because they coveted it. They just wanted to break some records and figured, "why not?"

Good question: how about cameos of folks like Kevin Smith who are looking up from their comic to deliver a one-liner?

If they can CGI some dead dude with half a character in Star Wars I am going to be PISSED if they can't CGI a five second clip of Stan Lee in every Marvel movie moving forward. 

I guess it wouldn't even have to be some CGI scene, you could even have his likeness on a billboard in the background, etc. In some ways it might even become an "easter egg" for hard core Lee/Marvel fans.

But the tradition should continue uninterrupted imo in every Marvel movie.
This is actually what they were already doing in the Marvel productions that he didn't do live cameos.  The various series on Netflix, etc.  https://overmental.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Daredevil-Stan-Lee-Cameo-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread