What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would you consider an "overly expensive" couple's vacation? (1 Viewer)

What would you consider an "overly expensive" couple's vacation? (Assume one week - all costs includ

• $1,000 (~$145/nt)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $2,000 (~$285/nt)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • $3,000 (~$430/nt)

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • $4,000 (~$570/nt)

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • $5,000 (~$715/nt)

Votes: 49 27.4%
  • $6,000 (~$860/nt)

Votes: 32 17.9%
  • $7,000 (~$1,000/nt)

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • $8,000+ (+$1,145/nt)

Votes: 33 18.4%

• Total voters

Worm

slimy ninja
You and your significant other are going on vacation. Assume for discussion it is to a tropical location or whatever other destination is your thing. Assume you are going for one week (7 nights), and the total vacation cost includes your flights, room, food, alcohol, and reasonable entertainment costs/excursions/etc for the two of you.

What number makes you say 'wow, that's an expensive vacation!'?

Context: booked a vacation and my sister was giving me #### about it and calling me "Mr. Money Bags!". I was caught a little off guard. But if someone told me they were spending this amount I wouldn't think they were loaded or spend excessively. I mean, it's a pretty nice vacation and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm also not rich and do pinch pennies where I can to be able to go on vacations. Those times/experiences are very important to us.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
i do those types of trips and i usually spend about 2,000-2,500.  for like honeymoon or a big anniversary i think it might have been more like 3,500-4k.  for that type of vacation i'd think that 5k or higher was more than i need to spend.  i mean, i'm sure it would be awesome but i'd rather just do 2 weeks at the other place for the same price.

Fixed... sorry to the early voters who i screwed up lol

I think you need to dollar cost the daily rate.  For a couple more than 1k a day is super high to me.  So I voted 7,000.

I try to do vacations all-in under $500 a day.   It's really hard to do that with a flight if it's not a ####ty cruise, or an AirBNB you are supplying all your own food/booze.

No right answer here.  A person with a $10 mil net worth would look at my little $2,000 vacation like it's nothing but to a person with a negative net worth who is making $25k a year.....a $2,000 vacation is AMAZING.

I think you need to dollar cost the daily rate.  For a couple more than 1k a day is super high to me.  So I voted 7,000.

I try to do vacations all-in under $500 a day.   It's really hard to do that with a flight if it's not a ####ty cruise, or an AirBNB you are supplying all your own food/booze.
Edited to add approximate rates.

No right answer here.  A person with a $10 mil net worth would look at my little $2,000 vacation like it's nothing but to a person with a negative net worth who is making $25k a year.....a $2,000 vacation is AMAZING.
Right, I'm asking FBG's.

I'd say about $5k for a week will get my attention as "crap, that's kinda rich for my blood."  But I should talk, our trip to Patagonia/Antarctica was outrageously expensive and worth every penny. 

Yeah, the ones that are saying $3k is expensive haven't travelled as a couple lately.  

I mean your options for a week vacation for $3k and flights are basically Circus Circus in Vegas, a Carnival cruise with all the fatties, or somewhere in Mazatlan where you overlook a gang war.  

3k allows for

$1000- For 500 flights pp

150 per day food/bev budget

20 per day entertainment budget

110/nt hotel all in

Good ####### luck.

Yeah, the ones that are saying $3k is expensive haven't travelled as a couple lately.  

I mean your options for a week vacation for $3k and flights are basically Circus Circus in Vegas, a Carnival cruise with all the fatties, or somewhere in Mazatlan where you overlook a gang war.  

3k allows for

110/nt hotel all in

Good ####### luck.
I agree. In this case we used airline miles for flights (and tailored our dates around cheap mile days) so that let us have a wider range of options for the rest. We ended up at an all inclusive, so the $/night really included everything. Perhaps the $/night might seem like a lot for a room, but that was our all-in cost for the trip.

3k allows for

110/nt hotel all in

Good ####### luck.
Yeah I went $8,000 but $5,000 seems like the correct number.  $1,000 for the flights.  Decent place is going to be $300 per night so that leaves $1,900 for food, drinks and excursions.  That's a nice, semi expensive, vacation.

Time of year is a huge variable as well. Going anywhere tropical is going to cost you a significant amount more in February and March than it will in May. 

My wife and I, not rich by any means, spend about 5k on a yearly cruise. This includes parking at the NYC pier and boarding the dog for a week, and we cruise somewhat high end in regards to room / food (you can be on the same ship a *lot* cheaper). We have friends who make the "money bags" comment too, to which I counter with "you spend your money on kids, I spend it on vacation". 

To us, 7k would be hitting that "yea, that's a little too rich for us" territory. But to each their own.    

"overly expensive"? 

it's $1 more than what your wife is suggesting is appropriate. anything under that is just right and you should not question her.

I mean flights and stuff cost money. My wife and I did Sedona / Grand Canyon rafting and it was on the high end of your poll for 4 days of vacation.  This sounds more like a wealth disparity issue between you and your sister as opposed to a glamorous vacation problem. 

$1000 per day is an awesome vacation.  Anywhere north of that might be considered "overly expensive."  

None of her business. 

Can't really answer the poll. Not being rich, I budget up to 5% of my income for vacations. However that gets spread out isn't as important as staying within budget overall.

None of her business. 

Can't really answer the poll. Not being rich, I budget up to 5% of my income for vacations. However that gets spread out isn't as important as staying within budget overall.
Gross or net? ;)

At the same time someone might see a 3 night trip for $3000 as a deal, where they would freak out at a 7 night trip for $5000.

Millennials seem very into destination weddings that just slaughter travel budgets of the 3 night 3 grand type.  

Not to justify an all-inclusive vacation, but there is more sticker shock when booking one of these than when doing an al a carte.  I've done week long AI spring break trips with the family that have cost $5,000 for 4.  For other vacations when I've booked everything separate, I never have a $5,000 single expense, but 1-2 K airfare plus 1.5 to 2K in hotel, plus car and restaurants quickly gets to a similar amount. 

$5k would be something that would cause us to budget for it so I'll say that. That's also more than what we'd normally spend for a vacation.

I voted $8k for "overly expensive" - I think $1k per night is expensive, but not necessarily overly expensive with all costs included. 

Wife & I try to go to Aruba for 5 nights without the kids once every 12-24 months. Flights = $1k, Hotel is $400 a night, & daily budget is about $400. All-in cost is about $5k for 5 days our last two trips. Expensive, but not overly, and worth every penny! 

Not to justify an all-inclusive vacation, but there is more sticker shock when booking one of these than when doing an al a carte.  I've done week long AI spring break trips with the family that have cost $5,000 for 4.  For other vacations when I've booked everything separate, I never have a $5,000 single expense, but 1-2 K airfare plus 1.5 to 2K in hotel, plus car and restaurants quickly gets to a similar amount. 
Agree, but also think you get more value (depending how someone sees it) without AI. I like the option of choosing my own restaurants, times I want to do something, and not being constrained by an AI food/drink menu/schedule. Plus, the al a carte tends to be higher quality across the board. 

Did an AI at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso 4 years ago in Riviera Maya, prob the last time we go that route. 

Agree, but also think you get more value (depending how someone sees it) without AI. I like the option of choosing my own restaurants, times I want to do something, and not being constrained by an AI food/drink menu/schedule. Plus, the al a carte tends to be higher quality across the board. 

Did an AI at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso 4 years ago in Riviera Maya, prob the last time we go that route. 
The iberostar was the one that was accused of stacking booze.  I think that exact one, but too lazy to google it.  

Well, there is certainly value at AI if you belly up to the swim-up bar at 9AM and stay there all day.  

My point is that if someone asks how much your Disney vacation cost, you'd have to bust out the calculator, whereas an AI trip, you know the whole nut upfront. 

Pretty impossible to travel overseas for much under 5k. 2k for flights is probably low. 200 per night for a room. You could go lower, but that is not the wow expensive level. Eating and drinking for 2 is going to be at least 200 per day. That is nearly 5k and you haven't paid to do anything. I am not going to pay 5k for a vacation and skimp on excursions and entertainment.

You and your significant other are going on vacation. Assume for discussion it is to a tropical location or whatever other destination is your thing. Assume you are going for one week (7 nights), and the total vacation cost includes your flights, room, food, alcohol, and reasonable entertainment costs/excursions/etc for the two of you.

What number makes you say 'wow, that's an expensive vacation!'?

Context: booked a vacation and my sister was giving me #### about it and calling me "Mr. Money Bags!". I was caught a little off guard. But if someone told me they were spending this amount I wouldn't think they were loaded or spend excessively. I mean, it's a pretty nice vacation and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm also not rich and do pinch pennies where I can to be able to go on vacations. Those times/experiences are very important to us.

Thoughts?
Straight $$ isn't a good metric.  Go by % of income.  I think 5% is that line, but i haven't thought about it.

Oh, and tell your sister to shut up and go back to her cardboard box.

fantasycurse42 said:

I absolute despise AI's and if it's up to me I'll never do another one in my life except for company President's Club trips where I have no choice. 

I want one plate of really good food.  

I want the specific alcohol I like.

I don't want to throw up from either.

People arent very smart when it comes to vacation/travel. Many of my friends think we're crazy/extravagant for going to tropical islands every year, but the truth is, our family vacations cost about the same (and often less) than these same people who go to a local money-trap like OCMD for a week and eat out every night. 

I voted $6k, because anything over $5k and you're likely wasting money. Personally, I dont see any reason to go over $3k (and even less if not AI).

I went $6k.  Based on the parameters that the OP has stated--2 people for one week--including all travel expenses (flights, accommodations, food+drinks, entertainment expenses, peripheral fees--tips+souvenirs..etc)--I think $6k is the mark where one can go from a very nice vacation to a slightly "overly" expensive one.  Even at $6k--I don't think we're talking crazy luxury money--I think it's just the line of being on the expensive side.  If you break it down to a per person/per day cost---it comes out to $428.57 per day--which is slightly expensive--but not crazy expensive.  

We've gone over 8K every year we've been dating

Flight and hotel get you to 5K alone for most non-Americas trips.

Flight and hotel get you to 5K alone for most non-Americas trips.
Not for Carrib/Central America destinations.

My general rule of travel: There are 3 things you want in every vacation. You can pick any two you want, but you cant have all three.

1. Awesome place to go.
  2. Easy to get to.
  3. Very affordable.
I generally ignore #2 and focus on #1 and #3, but I've actually found a handful of places that come pretty close to meeting all three (for me anyway).

Poll is pretty flawed. Many are looking at total budget rather than duration.  
Also location.  What I consider expensive totally depends on where you go...

You'd have to watch your budget to spend a week in Hawaii for $5,000, but could live lavishly with $5,000 for a week on the beach in Mexico.

Not for Carrib/Central America destinations.

My general rule of travel: There are 3 things you want in every vacation. You can pick any two you want, but you cant have all three.

1. Awesome place to go.
  2. Easy to get to.
  3. Very affordable.
I generally ignore #2 and focus on #1 and #3, but I've actually found a handful of places that come pretty close to meeting all three (for me anyway).
So you don't care about culture, history or interesting things to see.

The Carribean gets old after about 2 days for me.  

So you don't care about culture, history or interesting things to see.

The Carribean gets old after about 2 days for me.  
"Awesome place to go" is defined by whatever is important to you... culture, history, food, beaches, fishing, night-life, hookers.

I've found that European cities get old to me after about 2 days. To each his own.  :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread