What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 STREAMING DEFENSE *PLAYOFFS EDITION* (1 Viewer)

TZMarkie

Footballguy
 I started to post this in the streaming thread, but its generally a week-to-week question and recommendations in there.

Usually there is one of these "playoff specials" threads, and I figured it was time to start one up, for those of us that can afford to stash one for a probable playoff run.

I have CHICAGO  in 2 spots, but in my other important league I am forced to stream, and I currently have ARIZONA in this week vs. the abomination known as OAKLAND.

I'm posting this  to see who the streamer crew is targeting ahead of time for week 14, week 15 and week 16. *CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK~!* :football:

I do note that DENVER is owned in less than 50% of Yahoo leagues. WEEK 14 @ SF.......... WEEK 15 VS. CLEVELAND .......... WEEK 16 @ OAKLAND. (Championship week)

I know its a few weeks out yet, but especially for those of us that have already clinched, or are extremely likely to do so,  who all are you guys targeting for a pick up and stash playoff play?

We need to stay ahead of the masses, who ya got? 

TZM

As a Bears owner I was just looking at the Broncos last night. Don't think I have the room to add them just yet though.

Really need them for the Rams game week 15...Broncos are at San Fran. Good matchup but not amazing with Mullens at QB IMO.

I’m going bears/broncos in 2 leagues

bears til week 13

broncos 14-15

then flipping a coin for week 16 but probably leaning bears @SF over Broncos @OAK mostly because the bears have been so good. Leading the league in turnovers and Mack is a monster.  Unless a key injury pops up I think I’m sticking to this. 

With streaming Ds now mainstream, I've seen stash and hold 1 D, stream another become prevalent in my league. Week to week, this has meant that waivers have been a little bare for weekly plays, with some GMs holding some of the stronger playoff Ds as stashes.

I look to be moving towards a playoff berth, and want to make my moves now -- both to secure a strong D presence ROS and into playoffs, and to play keep-away in a suddenly competitive league in terms of its focus on Ds.

As a result, I am carrying 3 Ds through ROS: BAL, DEN, and TEN. Together, they give me the following schedule options:

WK 11: CIN

WK 12: OAK

WK 13: NYJ or @CIN

PLAYOFFS WK 14: JAX or @SF

PLAYOFFS WK 15: TB or CLE (or even @NYG)

PLAYOFFS WK 16: @OAK

There is an element of Any Given Sunday with these opponents, but most seem like favorable match ups for some solid defensive units.

My question for the masses is that the entire AFC East Ds are on the wire at this point -- NE, NYJ, BUF, and MIA -- with all three of them facing relatively soft opponents, mostly by nature of playing themselves. Would love some opinions on whether any of these Ds may make for a better run than any current D I am rostering.

CIN is also on the wire, and while not dependable, face CLE twice and OAK (as well as DEN) in weeks 12 through 14.

Thoughts on the three I have, and those Ds relative to others I mentioned on the wire?

As a Bears owner I was just looking at the Broncos last night. Don't think I have the room to add them just yet though.

Really need them for the Rams game week 15...Broncos are at San Fran. Good matchup but not amazing with Mullens at QB IMO.
I *think* you meant WK 14, not WK 15 in terms of CHI v LAR and DEN @ SF.

Been thinking about this as well -- SF is no longer a cupcake match up. I don't think Mullens stays this consistent, but clearly he creates a spark for the team and leverages its pieces well with some patient decision making.

I am also not sure how I feel about DEN @ CIN in WK 13 or vs CLE in WK 15, either -- both those teams are faltering a little offensively, but they can put up points.

Denver and Cincinnati if you have room to roster 2 defenses. Really nice to have 2 defenses that play Oakland and Cleveland in weeks 15-16. Denver's good for week 14 too. Both should be on the waiver wire.

Denver has @ San Francisco, vs Cleveland, @ Oakland for weeks 14-16.

Cincinnati has @ LA Chargers, vs Oakland, at Cleveland for week 14-16.

Also depending on how you feel about Matt Barkley/Josh Allen's rest of season prospects you could grab Detroit and New England for weeks 15-16 against Buffalo. Detroit is definitely on the waiver wire and there's a decent chance someone dropped New England this week due to their bye.

I like the Tenn suggestion and grabbed them. Cinnci scares me as they have one of the worst defenses statistically. So I've got:

W11 - AZ vs Oak

W12 - Ravens vs Oak

W13 - Tenn vs NYJ

W14 -  Tenn vs Jax

W15 - Ravens vs TB or Tenn at NYG

W16 -?

Currently have Chicago....  Picked up Arizona... plan on starting 2x each in next 4 weeks...

This covers the following Weeks: (Rank of most points allowed to Def/St in my league)

Week 11  ARZ vs Oak (#8 ....  11.6 pt/gm)

Week 12  CHI at Det (#4 .... 13.0)

Week 13  CHI at NYG (#3... 13.4)

Week 14 ARZ vs Det (#4 .... 13.0) 

But now I am in need for Week 15 & 16 .... Buff & Det are both available (Buff at Det Week 15!!)

And I will worry about Week 16 in Week 15....plus Arz is #2 most points allowed to Def/ST (16 pt/gm)

IS ARZ DEF a reasonable play here? 

Rank Info: 

Buff #1 at 17.1  pt/gm

ARZ #2 at 16.2 pt/gm

Reference: Saints #32 at -1.8 pts/gm

Just gonna roll with the redskins...cause they face awful QB's

week 14 Eli

week 15 Bortles

week 16 Mariotta 

YUM!!

To those who streamed INDY this week, it didn't necessarily work out.

But, as Luck may have it  :excited: , you might not want to cut them just yet.

INDY now faces JACKSONVILLE this week, who are likely to be without Leonard Fournette , and even better....they are due to be led by CODY KESSLER.  I'm not really sure I want to hold INDY for the playoffs (that's the reason I started this thread) but there may have been a few streamers that happened to fire up INDY this week and were debating on cutting them after that poor fantasy showing.

Weeks 14-15-16,  INDY plays HOU, DAL then NYG respectively.   Any thoughts on a playoff hold/play for INDY? 

Any other possible streamer thoughts/choices for the playoffs are appreciated as well.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
Denver and Cincinnati if you have room to roster 2 defenses. Really nice to have 2 defenses that play Oakland and Cleveland in weeks 15-16. Denver's good for week 14 too. Both should be on the waiver wire.

Denver has @ San Francisco, vs Cleveland, @ Oakland for weeks 14-16.

Cincinnati has @ LA Chargers, vs Oakland, at Cleveland for week 14-16.
:lmao:

No, seriously. The Bengals can’t stop anyone. The Broncos haven’t down diddily all year save for that monster FF points outburst in Week 7.

Bears owner here and I'm troubled with what I see for weeks 14 and 15. Hate the LAR matchup obviously in week 14. Week 15 is at home vs. GB...not great, but not terrible understanding the trajectory of GB overall.

Right now, the best I can do is NO (@TB) for week 14 and SEA (@SF) for week 15. All else gone (unless someone stupidly drops one of the mentioned Ds above).

Thoughts on NO @TB?

I'm having a hard time deciding.  My league is weird +5 for under 100 rushing,  (7 teams RUN D give up under 100)  +5 for under 150 passing (zero teams pass for under 150)

+1 sacks, INTs, FR's and 6 for TD's with 0.1 per INT/FR yard.

Currently have the Texans.

Does anyone like the Vikings over the Texans

Vikings @ Seattle (tough tough matchup) but then Miami,Detroit.

For context:

Bears 152

Rams 124

Steelers 117

Vikings 117 (avail)

Saints 113

Broncos 111 (avail)

Chiefs 104 (avail)

Texans 103

Ravens 102

Bills 96 (avail)

Jets 92 (avail)

Bengals 92 (avail

Bears owner here and I'm troubled with what I see for weeks 14 and 15. Hate the LAR matchup obviously in week 14. Week 15 is at home vs. GB...not great, but not terrible understanding the trajectory of GB overall.

Right now, the best I can do is NO (@TB) for week 14 and SEA (@SF) for week 15. All else gone (unless someone stupidly drops one of the mentioned Ds above).

Thoughts on NO @TB?
They might get some turnovers off Winston, but most likely going to give up a lot of points as well. I'd look elsewhere personally.

ETA: Also a Chicago owner, just saw Bills are at home against the Jets week 14. I'm not all that worried about week 15 at home.

Then again, in looking at the defenses just now, Chicago has almost 40 points more than any other defense. Best bet might just be to roll with them, even against the Rams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Denver / Rams is my ROS combo

WK 13:  Pick em.  Denver vs Cincy or Rams vs Det

Wk 14: Broncs / 49ers

Wk 15: Pick em.  Broncos vs Browns or Rams vs Eagles

Wk 16: Pick em again.  Broncos vs Raiders or Rams vs Arizona

I blew my year long "wait" of waiver priority on Jaylen Samuels this week, (gonna fire him up at TE after losing GREG OLSEN~!) :excited: and tried to snag DENVER as my streamer defense on the turnaround, but didn't get them.

Not really loving it, but I have TEN vs JAX .   I feel like this could be another low scoring game, and a couple of patented CODY KESSLER INTs could be on the menu. Even if BLAKE BORTLES comes back in at some point, its not like he isn't a turnover machine at times too.

Anyone else rolling with TEN tonight?

Curious if there are any more good plays for a barely owned defense.   I just noticed BUFFALO and SEATTLE on my wire as well, but I don't like either of those......or I could see games that aren't as low scoring as TEN vs JAX.

Who all else are you guys streaming this week?

This is must win for many of us.

TZM

"BUF is a much better option than TEN IMO"

I have BUF and TEN in a must win.  Do you think BUF is much better because they don't face a rested Fournette?  

"BUF is a much better option than TEN IMO"

I have BUF and TEN in a must win.  Do you think BUF is much better because they don't face a rested Fournette?  
TEN hasn't been a good fantasy defense. BUF has been slightly better but I think Darnold will be prone to more mistakes. The Jets have no offensive weapons while the Jags have Fournette.

Looking at this week, I'm planning to go with the Saints over the Chiefs as my D in a 12-team league. Does that seem right? It's hard to trust the Chiefs D despite them getting a lot of turnovers and being a thome.

I currently have the Seahawks but am leaning towards grabbing the Giants that are sitting there since they are going up a Redskins team led by Mark Sanchez. 

I am sitting CHI BEARS Defense and starting SD Chargers

why?

Goff/Gurley are good .... really good.

Mixon dinged, AJ Green out, Driskel at QB, are there any WR's on that roster not dinged?   .... seems like CIN might be packing their bags for the year .... Chargers are good, hungry, fighting hard to win, Bosa back strong, at home ..... they need to win, CIN don't

Mark Sanchez.... that name alone should elevate the Giants to #1 DEF this week....He's not very good 
Neither are the Giants though. I'd be wary of bad defense against a bad QB. Because a decent coach can coach up a bad QB to limit his deficiencies.

I have Seattle at San Fran week 15 and Bills Vs Jets week 14. Week 16, I'll reevaluate if I'm lucky enough to get there.

I have Seattle at San Fran week 15 and Bills Vs Jets week 14. Week 16, I'll reevaluate if I'm lucky enough to get there.
Ya a big mistake people make if they can only afford to use a roster spot or two on a D is to think too long term in playoffs.  Just use the best D you can to win that current week.  Similar to the "saving teams in a survivor pool" mistake.

After dodging the jax bullet I'm left between pats and Steelers. Both on the road, both playing #### offenses. NE has their full offensive arsenal healthy and Pit will be without Connor. Weather should be a push. Coaching advantage to the Pats over Tomlin. Still leaning NE.  Thoughts?

I chose to roll out the TITANS, and sat a couple other options.

Can't say it will be a "week winner", (as they got me 10 points in Yahoo leagues) but I suppose it could have been worse.

I will take the 10 points and try and win with my lineups elsewhere.

Now, the real question, is what do you think of TEN going forward....?  Not completely in love with them versus the GIANTS @ NY , but lets be realistic........ there are limited options for the majority of us. Not to mention some shrewd owners are trying to play "keep away" by picking up other options as well.

But, looking forward to *CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK 16* , the Titans are once again @ home vs. the REDSKINS. Its important to mention they may still be fighting for a playoff spot, and the Skins are certainly coming apart at the seams.

This may well be a monstrous play in the finals.      I'll have to watch how things go next week, and I likely will be looking for another play then too, and watch the Titans closely.

TZM

I was setting up to play JAX against WAS for Week 15, but man did JAX look horrible on Thursday night.  They made D Henry look like Earl Campbell.  It looked to me like they didn't even want to compete, and I'm worried that could carry forward to the end of the season.

It's going to be really hard to sit them, but I'm not nearly as excited about the matchup as I was a few weeks ago. 

I'd go JAX there. 

I'm stuck with CHI and don't love that matchup. Considering Dallas (@indy) and DET (@BUF).
I think Dallas (@ Indy) is a bad idea. The Colts put up a goose egg against the Jaguars last week but overall have been a fantasy football defense (at least in my league). 

They've given up the 2nd fewest sacks in the league (14 in 12 games) and averaging 27.1 ppg (8th in the league) which includes the somewhat slow start the offense had and their most recent 0 point performance.

Can’t believe I’m rolling the lions out the first week of the playoffs 
Lions get nice match-ups this week and next. Lions @ Cardinals or NO @ TB or LAR @ CHI are my choices this week - all road teams. Considering NO as they have been hot and scoring. DET could be a nice low scoring game for 6-8 points, but if I'm shooting for the moon it's NO

Starting BUF in another league.

I hemmed and hawed about picking up NYG against my Skins but I settled on Bills.  My opponent swiped them up last night in place of Balt.  Im shook.

Steel Curtainrod said:
After dodging the jax bullet I'm left between pats and Steelers. Both on the road, both playing #### offenses. NE has their full offensive arsenal healthy and Pit will be without Connor. Weather should be a push. Coaching advantage to the Pats over Tomlin. Still leaning NE.  Thoughts?
I have the same choice (sat Titans D for this choice, wish I hadn't done that!)

I am leaning towards Pats as they seemed to have turned it up a notch last week or two, but keep flipping back and forth...

Users who are viewing this thread