What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obrady/Rudd race across antarctica (1 Viewer)

Who wins?

• Obrady (1) Rudd (2) both finish

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Obrady

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rudd (1) Obrady (2) both finish

• Rudd

• Neither finish

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Snorkelson

Footballguy
Ny times story

This one has links to the adventurers pages and you can track progress via gps

Rudd (49) is a former British armed forces, Obrady (33) a professional adventurer. Both have trained and prepared. Rudd announced in April he was trying. Obrady announced last month (but seems he has been preparing and fundraising.) Over 1000 miles on foot, no aid from motors, animals, wind. No resupply drops, only use what you take in. Can’t even get a cup of tea from the research camps they will encounter. No idea if either can do it. Hopefully they both make it back, finish or not.

I liked this paragraph:

The two have quite the challenge ahead of them, both physically and mentally. In addition to facing -60°F temperature, 100-mph winds, undertaking this feat requires over two months of complete solitude. Not only have they been training for the physical toll this will take on their bodies but also training their minds as well. O’Brady has been practicing monk-like Vipassana training, eliminating speaking, writing, and eye-contact from his life for over week-long periods. Rudd intends to view the experience as he’s not on his own, remembering the support of those in his life and placing them at the finish line where he will need to arrive in order to get them back.

Obrady designed his own health bar for the trip, each one has something like 1500 calories. It’s really insane. Rudd’s mentor tried it and got an infection he later died from. 

Obrady designed his own health bar for the trip, each one has something like 1500 calories. It’s really insane. Rudd’s mentor tried it and got an infection he later died from. 
Rudd's mentor tried the health bar and got an infection? Or did he try to cross Antartica and got an infection?

Doug B said:
Rudd's mentor tried the health bar and got an infection? Or did he try to cross Antartica and got an infection?
The trip... he only had 100 or so miles left when he got pulled out... died from complications shortly after. 

Both have passed the South Pole, both have lost all sorts of weight.  O'Brady seems to be taking it in stride, Rudd seems to be suffering.  They still have about a month's worth of walking ahead of them.  Godspeed gentlemen.  

No frostbite yet?
Here's an update from Rudd himself:

DATE

16 / 12 / 2018

So I finished today, and put up the tent. I thought I’d do a bit of a self-medical, a check over, and I can plunder the medical pack – I want to sort my lips out – they’re a mass of pus and blood. I’ve taken some pain relief and I’ve started a course of antibiotics now, having consulted with the ALE doctor on the sat phone tonight, and see if that helps. It’s not something I’ve suffered with before. I’ve seen it happen with team mates, but for some reason it’s got me this time.

Quite a funny encounter as well. I bumped into a truck – some Arctic Trucks are out here doing some work. They pulled up and a guy and a lady in there jumped out, and we had a two-minute chat. The lady asked if we could get a photograph. I said of course and they came alongside. She asked me if I could lift my goggles and my face mask and I think she probably regrets saying that. I think my face is now just a mass of blood. ‘Oh, you’re bleeding,’ she said. ‘Just a bit. I’ve been drinking my blood all day as I’ve been skiing along,’ I said!

Other than that, I’ve been doing some gluing on the tips of my thumbs. I’ve got some massive splits on the end of my fingers and thumbs, so I got some medical glue and I’m trying to seal those up. I got my thermals off and had a quick look at the rest of my body. And my God, I’ve lost some weight. I’ve got abs for the first time in a very long time. My legs are like chicken legs. I reckon I’ve lost over 10kgs already. It’s obviously taking its toll, the journey. But hey, that’s all part and parcel of being on expedition.

Users who are viewing this thread