What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black Friday is Bull**** (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Seriously, are consumers so dumb they don’t realize that like 92.7% of the sweet deals are simply corporations pawning off all the nonsense they couldn’t unload in 2018? You also get Apple or Amazon trying to give you sweet deals on their home related products which just makes it easier for them to sell you more #### later.

Seriously, are consumers so dumb they don’t realize that like 92.7% of the sweet deals are simply corporations pawning off all the nonsense they couldn’t unload in 2018? You also get Apple or Amazon trying to give you sweet deals on their home related products which just makes it easier for them to sell you more #### later.
Well, yes.

99% of the deals are no better than what you can find on a typical day by browsing your favorite internet deals site like slickdeals.

They've sold people on the idea of getting great deals on this day.  Actual great deals no longer required.

Let's see your list.
Samsung q9fn

Braun Series 9

Few pairs of sneakers

Remote control car for my kid

New electric toothbrush (prob Oral B)

Ive got others, but that’s for starters

ETA - the TV will go on sale when the 2019 model comes out, not Black Friday

Last edited by a moderator:
Samsung q9fn

Braun Series 9

Few pairs of sneakers

Remote control car for my kid

New electric toothbrush (prob Oral B)

Ive got others, but that’s for starters

ETA - the TV will go on sale when the 2019 model comes out, not Black Friday
Amazon has a Braun Series 9 on sale for $200. I'm not sure if there are multiple models or what a good price is.

Black Friday used to be an event but now it's just a rummage sale.

Stores used to offer true deals and give customers stuff for being there first. Businesses used to try to one-up each other. Now, it ain't like it used to be.

Stores used to offer true deals and give customers stuff for being there first. Businesses used to try to one-up each other. Now, it ain't like it used to be.
Exactly right.  The deals, and the amount of them, are nothing like they were.

:shark:

In the olden days, "doorbuster" deals were still profitable to stores because most people who missed out on the early deals would stay and buy a few things.

Now, those people just go home and buy stuff online.

So, why should stores bother with "doorbuster" deals when no one is going to stay after the doorbuster items are sold out?

My folks got a really nice plasma back a while back from one of these deals. Now, they no longer sell plasmas and their television is worth a ton because of it. Deals can be had. Yeah, obsolete technology is sometimes better than the cheapness that supplants it.  

My folks got a really nice plasma back a while back from one of these deals. Now, they no longer sell plasmas and their television is worth a ton because of it. Deals can be had. Yeah, obsolete technology is sometimes better than the cheapness that supplants it.  
What is this about a plasma being worth something? I'm rocking an awesome 50" plasma... what can I get for it? Has a little screen burn but nothing major.

So, why should stores bother with "doorbuster" deals when no one is going to stay after the doorbuster items are sold out?
Well, I guess that is the free market. If stores want people to stay, either offer lower prices, giveaways, free stuff, better deals, or something to entice the buyer. If stores are happy knowing people will go shop online, they may become the next Circuit City, Radio Shack, Sears, Woolworth's, or, gulp, Toy's R Us :cry:

What is this about a plasma being worth something? I'm rocking an awesome 50" plasma... what can I get for it? Has a little screen burn but nothing major.
They stopped making them. They're fairly valuable, IIRC. I don't think screen burn helps, but among cinephiles, plasma rules over OLED and others last I read. I'm not sure what you could get on secondary market for yours, but I love them.  

Secondary markets are tough.  

Well, I guess that is the free market. If stores want people to stay, either offer lower prices, giveaways, free stuff, better deals, or something to entice the buyer. If stores are happy knowing people will go shop online, they may become the next Circuit City, Radio Shack, Sears, Woolworth's, or, gulp, Toy's R Us :cry:
Or Best Buy. 

I can't help but think of the Modest Mouse song...

The malls are the soon to be ghost towns
Well so long, farewell, goodbye

Needed a new refrigerator on short notice.  Home Depot has “Black Friday” deals going right now.  Found a refrigerator I really liked that was supposedly discounted $1100.   Went home and bought the exact same one from Costco for $100 less. 

Needed a new refrigerator on short notice.  Home Depot has “Black Friday” deals going right now.  Found a refrigerator I really liked that was supposedly discounted $1100.   Went home and bought the exact same one from Costco for $100 less. 
Well, that's Costco. That's a club membership, though a wise one, and a side model, probably, but with perfect return policies, etc. 

That's just Costco. They're too damn perfect.  

They stopped making them. They're fairly valuable, IIRC. I don't think screen burn helps, but among cinephiles, plasma rules over OLED and others last I read. I'm not sure what you could get on secondary market for yours, but I love them.  

Secondary markets are tough.  
Plasma isn’t better than OLED.

Okay, I could be wrong, but a lot of audiophiles are seeking out plasma over LED and OLED these days. Deeper blacks, they say. I could be wrong.  
You are wrong.  Nobody is seeking out old plasmas and paying extra for.  If so, I have a mint 55” Panasonic Plasma (one of the last plasma models made) that I’d be happy to move for an 85” Sony X900F 4K LCD. 

I am psyched about the deals they are having on Rolex watches at Wal-Mart. 
Hey bud, how is that day trading crypto to a millions dollars thing working out? Maybe time for an update?

In lieu of an update, a simple quote of "that was the dumbest thing anyone in the history of this forum has ever said or so much thought about" would do just fine. 

You just have to know what you're looking for.  I was in retail for a long time and we would have Black Friday sales.  Some are made for Black Friday products which are much cheaper and some deals are just heavy discounts on regular products.  As always when shopping, you have to do your homework.

Much like products can become obsolete (the old buggy whip v automobile analogy)...so can consumer promotions.  But as the world industrialized, the buggy whippers didn’t go out of business overnight.  They dwindled til they were no more...

Most consumer goods out there are useless junk that stupid people buy. Has nothing to do w/sale pricing.

Just say no to things like Alexa

Black Friday deals are not targeted to people looking for high end products.
I agree..I highly doubt any FBG worth their salt even shops on Black Friday. I would be ashamed for a man of my status to be seen bull rushing a door on Black Friday.

Hey bud, how is that day trading crypto to a millions dollars thing working out? Maybe time for an update?

In lieu of an update, a simple quote of "that was the dumbest thing anyone in the history of this forum has ever said or so much thought about" would do just fine.  

Crypto will have its day. 

I agree..I highly doubt any FBG worth their salt even shops on Black Friday. I would be ashamed for a man of my status to be seen bull rushing a door on Black Friday.
We're sleeping in burbs on Thursday and taking a group of kids bowling on Friday. 

My wife, sister, nephew and niece go out around midnight on Thursday/Friday. It’s become a thing now. We stop and get coffee, put on stupid Christmas music and just drive around to see if there are any ridiculous crowds. Last year I think we stopped at a target and I saved .50 on a few sticks of deodorant. 

My wife, sister, nephew and niece go out around midnight on Thursday/Friday. It’s become a thing now. We stop and get coffee, put on stupid Christmas music and just drive around to see if there are any ridiculous crowds. Last year I think we stopped at a target and I saved .50 on a few sticks of deodorant. 
This is what my family does. I sort of just skip it all like FC. 

But I don't get upset about it. Anything that brings people together, IMHO.  

:lmao: at the bolded.  

I tried a few times in the past, but it sucked.  I still try to make it to Menard's.  They seem to have variety of somewhat useful things, but they aren't high end.  Usually can find some cheap things for party gift exchanges also.  

I tried a few times in the past, but it sucked.  I still try to make it to Menard's.  They seem to have variety of somewhat useful things, but they aren't high end.  Usually can find some cheap things for party gift exchanges also.  
I was just kidding..I will hit Dicksports and Home Depot but that's about it.

And you didn't inform the rest of us about this deodorant discount so we can also participate? 

Users who are viewing this thread