What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So is the MNF game between the Rams and the Chiefs the goal of the NFL? (2 Viewers)

This game was fantastic,  might have helped that I had goff, cooks and thill in a come from behind win... but I was thoroughly entertained and that has not usually been the case more often than not these days in an nfl game, doesnt help that the jets are and continue to be awful

What also made this game so unique is that even with the offensive onslaught, there were a number of outstanding defensive plays.   Aaron Donald is just a remarkable football player, and worthy of MVP consideration.    

This may be the beginning of a new-age  "Manning v. Brady" rivalry with Mahomes and Goff.   

I do think last night's game is the new norm, maybe not 100+ points on a weekly basis, but I do think that (in a copycat league) Owners will want young, offensively-imaginative HCs and/or OCs with a goal of scoring 40+ every week. And I do think 60-pt games are just around the corner.

Defenses - outside of the "next great scheme" - will be geared towards individual superstars that can make a game-changing play. If we give up a score, that's OK because we can score too.

I wonder what the Raiders are thinking today? "Did we just give a coaching dinosaur a ten year contract?"

I'm sure the NFL wants this regularly, but the fact is, it's just not going to be that common to have that much talent on the field at once.  Both QB's are elite talents, and both made some incredible throws/plays last night.  The receiving options in this game... Kelce, Hill, Woods, Cooks... those aren't commonplace.  Kelce has arguably over taken Gronk as the best TE in the game.  The RB's, both upper echelon, and both made plays last night, even if Gurley was tragically under utilized.  Even on defense, you had arguably the best defensive player in the game in Donald, and he made a couple huge plays, and on the other side, you had an elite edge rusher in Justin Houston making plays.

This game was just a perfect storm of two highly talented teams with brilliant offensive minds as HC's, and with that we were given the pleasure of watching some of the best in game do their thing.  I sacrificed a couple hours sleep to watch it to the end, and it was well worth it.

Would I want to see every game like this?  From the standpoint of seeing a convergence of some of the absolute best talent in the league on the field at once, all performing at a high level... hell yes, that was fantastic.  Do I think this kind of game could become commonplace... nope, not a chance.  To think that game was attributable to the NFL's shift to more offensive friendly rules is to not appreciate how damned good those players and coaches are on those two teams.

I'm sure the NFL wants this regularly, but the fact is, it's just not going to be that common to have that much talent on the field at once.  Both QB's are elite talents, and both made some incredible throws/plays last night.  The receiving options in this game... Kelce, Hill, Woods, Cooks... those aren't commonplace.  Kelce has arguably over taken Gronk as the best TE in the game.  The RB's, both upper echelon, and both made plays last night, even if Gurley was tragically under utilized.  Even on defense, you had arguably the best defensive player in the game in Donald, and he made a couple huge plays, and on the other side, you had an elite edge rusher in Justin Houston making plays.

This game was just a perfect storm of two highly talented teams with brilliant offensive minds as HC's, and with that we were given the pleasure of watching some of the best in game do their thing.  I sacrificed a couple hours sleep to watch it to the end, and it was well worth it.

Would I want to see every game like this?  From the standpoint of seeing a convergence of some of the absolute best talent in the league on the field at once, all performing at a high level... hell yes, that was fantastic.  Do I think this kind of game could become commonplace... nope, not a chance.  To think that game was attributable to the NFL's shift to more offensive friendly rules is to not appreciate how damned good those players and coaches are on those two teams.
Agreed. I think the best things I've seen this week are the hot takes with how the Rams and Chiefs have given us the blue print for success.

All you have to do is get a great young athletic QB on their rookie salary, an elite defensive guy to rush the pass, the best runningback, an athletic pass catching TE, and an offensive minded creative head coach. 

No problem. 

I do think last night's game is the new norm, maybe not 100+ points on a weekly basis, but I do think that (in a copycat league) Owners will want young, offensively-imaginative HCs and/or OCs with a goal of scoring 40+ every week. And I do think 60-pt games are just around the corner.

Defenses - outside of the "next great scheme" - will be geared towards individual superstars that can make a game-changing play. If we give up a score, that's OK because we can score too.

I wonder what the Raiders are thinking today? "Did we just give a coaching dinosaur a ten year contract?"
I agree with you Dizzy.    New innovative and inspiring young offensive-minded coaches are what owners are going to look for.   

Pre-historic defensive-minded retreads like John Fox and Jeff Fisher don't need to be on the side-line; they need to be in a recliner watching on TV.   

Agreed. I think the best things I've seen this week are the hot takes with how the Rams and Chiefs have given us the blue print for success.

All you have to do is get a great young athletic QB on their rookie salary, an elite defensive guy to rush the pass, the best runningback, an athletic pass catching TE, and an offensive minded creative head coach. 

No problem. 
I don’t think much is different than it years past with regards to what teams are looking for player wise. The tipping point is when these great offensive schemes get the exact players they covet for their scheme. Last night was a great example of that. Both HC’s have done a great job getting the perfect players for their schemes. 

I think the current goal of the NFL is to have 3-4 awesome teams each year that are driven by their offense.  This game was perfect for that.  Casual fans will tune in for teams that score 40+ points.

They'd like the rest of the teams to float around .500 so their fan base stays engaged most of the season hoping for the playoffs or that the next year will bring better fortunes.

What they don't want is the NBA where players make their own super teams and management/fans of the other teams have almost no hope.  That means too many teams trying to blow it up and start from scratch.  Fans won't care.  Players on those teams don't care.

They want NO, NE, KC, and LA types each year.  And everyone else with a "you never know what might happen" feeling.
Excellent post. Bigger problem than lack of offense is lack of competition. NFL has surprise teams almost every year. 

Where does that game rank in plays run.  It was a fast paced game, all game.  
On the radio today, Damon Bruce was talking about how studies have shown that there’s only about 11.5 total mins of playing in any given NFL game.

his peeps put together a montage of every TD call in that game & it was 2:47 long. 

That’s an insane action to playing ratio 

That said, there were quite a few 1- play scores (the pick-6’s, the Hill 70+ TD, etc) - since the Rams decided to give Gurley an extra 3/4 game of rest meant there weren’t a lot of extended drives for the Rams, and the Chiefs played equally up-tempo. So maybe lower on total plays than the score would seem to indicate. 

I enjoyed the game but wouldn't want a steady diet of that. It would effectively turn the NFL into why I don't watch the NBA. Oh the drama! Oh the momentum shifts! In the end, no one can seemingly stop anyone, and despite everything that happened in the first 47 and a half minutes, it's suddenly 101 - 102 and comes down to the last shot. 🙄

Of course it's what they want, but they don't have these two teams playing in every game, so they aren't going to get it.

DIdn't read most of the thread. I'm sure some have pointed out that defenses scored 21 points, added a bunch of timely sacks and turnovers, and made key stops at important junctures. These were two elite offenses at peak efficiency, and two opportunistic but mostly average defenses that made plenty of positive plays impacting the game, even while giving up a ton of yards and points.

While scoring is certainly up, and it's fair to point out recent rules changes as a big piece of why, defense has NOT gone the way of the dodo. I think rules changes are only PART of the reason, and may not represent the biggest reason. The NFL is doing a better job of adjusting to the talents of the newer players. Offensive minded coaches are more willing then ever to adjust THEIR plans and systems to better match what their kids are capable of doing.

In the end, I think the NFL prefers the higher scoring games we've seen lately, but I don't think there was ever a plan to have these types of games happen. It was just the perfect storm.

If the alternative is watching the crapfest that is Detroit-Chicago, then yes please give me Rams-Chiefs every week.

If the alternative is watching the crapfest that is Detroit-Chicago, then yes please give me Rams-Chiefs every week.
yeah, cause the Cowboys-Redskins game has been such a barn-burner.  

i thought the Bears-Lions was a good game. 

Users who are viewing this thread