What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the 2018 NFL MVP? (1 Viewer)

Who is the 2018 NFL MVP?

• Drew Brees

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • Todd Gurley

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Patrick Mahomes

Votes: 82 44.8%
  • Philip Rivers

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Ben Roethlisberger

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
Close call right now between Brees and Mahomes, and it is a shame that one of them will likely not win it, barring a tie, but I have to give the edge to Brees.  Far less turnovers, on pace to have the best passer rating ever, best QBR, insane completion percentage, etc. 

Close call right now between Brees and Mahomes, and it is a shame that one of them will likely not win it, barring a tie, but I have to give the edge to Brees.  Far less turnovers, on pace to have the best passer rating ever, best QBR, insane completion percentage, etc. 
Interesting take.

Personally I think it’s Brees by a country mile.

Hadn't seen it so much in The Shark Pool ... but if you discuss this topic with Saints fans on other boards or offline, a lot of us are kinda butt-hurt that Mahomes, Gurley, etc. are even mentioned in the same breath as Brees for the 2018 MVP. Plus, we all think Brees got screwed out of (at least) two past MVP awards. So, be gentle if you run across a Saints fan in the wild somewhere.

Hadn't seen it so much in The Shark Pool ... but if you discuss this topic with Saints fans on other boards or offline, a lot of us are kinda butt-hurt that Mahomes, Gurley, etc. are even mentioned in the same breath as Brees for the 2018 MVP. Plus, we all think Brees got screwed out of (at least) two past MVP awards. So, be gentle if you run across a Saints fan in the wild somewhere.
TIL they exist outside the bayou.

:boxing:

If you’re ever in NYC, Parkside Lounge in @El Floppo land is a Saints bar. Or if you’re in the Disney section of Manhattan, Bourbon Street in the theatre district.

There are bars for seemingly every NFL & Premier League franchise. Even found a couple for my eldest who is a Magpie.

Brees should have already won an MVP years ago.  Not a Saints fan but Brees is one of the best ever.  Gurley is certainly valuable but last night showed that the QB position is where the rubber meets the road in the big game.  Mahomes is very good and will get better, but he has a lot to learn.  Brees is a craftsman.  He knows how to avoid the sack and he puts it on the numbers on most throws.  IMO, he's the closest thing to a player/coach on any field in the NFL.  

If Brees was really that good, they wouldn't bring in Hill to give him a breather.  If you can't carry the load, then you don't deserve the MVP.  It's called the MVP and not the MVPs award for a reason.  Wintzsonick's numbers surpass Brees and they hold the head to head advantage at this time.

If Brees was really that good, they wouldn't bring in Hill to give him a breather.  If you can't carry the load, then you don't deserve the MVP.  It's called the MVP and not the MVPs award for a reason.  Wintzsonick's numbers surpass Brees and they hold the head to head advantage at this time.
I disagree with this 100%. Breed and Hill are two totally different QBs. They do it to give the defense a different look. Not because Brees can't handle it.

What season?
Manning won it in 2008 and 2009.  I thought Brees should have won it in 2009.  I thought he deserved to win it in 2011 as well.  Again, IMO.  He had the numbers but it went to Rodgers.  I thought Brees should have won the award in one of those seasons.  You can argue numbers for him, Manning, and Rodgers.  Brees did enough to win and he didn't.  No big deal and it's just my opinion.  

It's Brees no matter what. Voters will feel Mahomes will have futures seasons to win it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know he won't get any backing but Khalil Mack has made a huge difference for the Bears.  I don't think the Bears are anywhere close to where they are without him.  I don't think he is the NFL MVP necessarily but he has been dominant and the best player on a team not expected to be where they are.

Manning won it in 2008 and 2009.  I thought Brees should have won it in 2009.  I thought he deserved to win it in 2011 as well.  Again, IMO.  He had the numbers but it went to Rodgers.  I thought Brees should have won the award in one of those seasons.  You can argue numbers for him, Manning, and Rodgers.  Brees did enough to win and he didn't.  No big deal and it's just my opinion.  
IMO I already refuted 2011 in the How Drew Brees is being underestimated thread:

Brees: 468/657 (71.2%), 5476 passing yards (8.3 YPA), 46 passing TDs (7.0%), 14 interceptions (2.1%), 110.6 passer rating, 83.0 QBR, 16 games, 13-3 team record

Rodgers: 343/502 (68.3%), 4643 passing yards (9.2 YPA), 45 passing TDs (9.0%), 6 interceptions (1.2%), 122.5 passer rating, 84.5 QBR, 15 games (sat out week 16), 14-1 team record

Both players played better indoors than outdoors, but Brees played 11 games indoors compared to just 3 for Rodgers. 

IMO Rodgers' performance is more impressive. His passer rating remains an all time single season record. Rodgers' season is arguably the most impressive QB season in history.

Also note that the NO defense was better than the GB defense, which ranked #32 in yards allowed and #19 in points allowed. So Rodgers had to carry his team at least as much as Brees did, arguably more, and carried it to a better record.

All of that is why Rodgers won the MVP award in a landslide, with 48 votes to Brees's 2.
Regarding 2009:

Brees: 363/514 (70.6%), 4388 passing yards (8.5 YPA), 34 passing TDs (6.6%), 11 interceptions (2.1%), 109.6 passer rating, 83.4 QBR, 15 games, 13-2 record

Manning: 393/571 (68.8%), 4500 passing yards (7.9 YPA), 33 passing TDs (5.8%), 16 interceptions (2.8%), 99.9 passer rating, 81.3 QBR, 16 games*, 14-2 record*

Brees was definitely statistically superior in 2009. However:

1. Manning played 1 drive in the 3rd quarter in game 15, and left the game with the lead. He played just over 1 quarter in the 16th game, and that game was tied when he left. Those were the only 2 losses for the Colts that season. They willingly sacrificed a shot at an undefeated season to rest players for the playoffs once the games no longer mattered to their playoff seeding. So the Colts lost zero games that Manning finished. Voters may have considered that the Colts could have gone undefeated had they tried, and given Manning some level of credit for that.
  2. IND had no run game. The Colts were 30th in yards per attempt and last in yards. New Orleans was 6th in yards per attempt and 7th in yards. The passing game was 77% of the Colts' yards and 67% of the Saints' yards. Manning was asked to do more for his offense.
  3. Manning had 7 game winning drives and 7 fourth quarter comebacks that season, which was a record at the time. Brees had 2 and 4, respectively. This may not be a great stat, but it probably impacted the voting - this was the season Belichick went for it on 4th and 2 to avoid giving Manning the ball in the fourth quarter.
  4. Not sure this would have factored into the voting, but Brees had HC Payton and Manning had rookie HC Caldwell.
IMO Manning won because he was close enough to Brees statistically that items 1-3 above made the difference.

IMO Rodgers clearly deserved MVP in 2011, but I think Manning vs. Brees in 2009 was a toss-up that could have gone either way... but if forced to choose, like the voters, I favor Manning by a slight amount.

IMO I already refuted 2011 in the How Drew Brees is being underestimated thread:

Regarding 2009:

Brees: 363/514 (70.6%), 4388 passing yards (8.5 YPA), 34 passing TDs (6.6%), 11 interceptions (2.1%), 109.6 passer rating, 83.4 QBR, 15 games, 13-2 record

Manning: 393/571 (68.8%), 4500 passing yards (7.9 YPA), 33 passing TDs (5.8%), 16 interceptions (2.8%), 99.9 passer rating, 81.3 QBR, 16 games*, 14-2 record*

Brees was definitely statistically superior in 2009. However:

1. Manning played 1 drive in the 3rd quarter in game 15, and left the game with the lead. He played just over 1 quarter in the 16th game, and that game was tied when he left. Those were the only 2 losses for the Colts that season. They willingly sacrificed a shot at an undefeated season to rest players for the playoffs once the games no longer mattered to their playoff seeding. So the Colts lost zero games that Manning finished. Voters may have considered that the Colts could have gone undefeated had they tried, and given Manning some level of credit for that.
  2. IND had no run game. The Colts were 30th in yards per attempt and last in yards. New Orleans was 6th in yards per attempt and 7th in yards. The passing game was 77% of the Colts' yards and 67% of the Saints' yards. Manning was asked to do more for his offense.
  3. Manning had 7 game winning drives and 7 fourth quarter comebacks that season, which was a record at the time. Brees had 2 and 4, respectively. This may not be a great stat, but it probably impacted the voting - this was the seasonn Belichick went for it on 4th and 2 to avoid giving Manning the ball in the fourth quarter.
  4. Not sure this would have factored into the voting, but Brees had HC Payton and Manning had rookie HC Caldwell.
IMO Manning won because he was close enough to Brees statistically that items 1-3 above made the difference.

IMO Rodgers clearly deserved MVP in 2011, but I think Manning vs. Brees in 2009 was a toss-up that could have gone either way... but if forced to choose, like the voters, I favor Manning by a slight amount.
Like I said, there are lots of "IMO" between us.  I've seen the numbers and don't feel like Brees was screwed out of it for either year.  I just thought he should have won one of them.  He's a first ballot HOFer and I think he should have at least one MVP.  IMO.  

Funny, as a Saints fan, I would say Mahomes was the leader before last night. Aside from the turnovers, you could still make that argument, but those turnovers and loss last night has to hurt and put Brees ahead.

Gurley even being on the list is silly. If he'd sat out like Bell, the Rams would likely be 9-2, instead of 10-1. Probably wouldn't even call Gurley the best RB. I'd love to hear the case from the people who voted for him though.

I think its silly for Roethlisberger to be in the running as well. He's been very good in fantasy, but to be honest, I think Ben is having one of his worst seasons of his career, only 3-QB's have more turnovers than him, a rookie(Darnold) a career journeyman(Fitzpatrick) and an overrated "franchise QB" (Cousins) 

I think Brees would be my pick right now. He's having the best year of his career in my opinion. A 28-1 TD-INT ratio(counting rushing scores) is unheard of. Goff and Mahomes are the only other guys in the conversation. 

On a side note, while he's not a candidate because his team is unlikely to make the playoffs. Aaron Rodgers would probably be my 4th choice. He's got a 19-1 TD-INT ratio, and has done that with only Davante Adams as a reliable weapon. Without Rodgers, this team is basically Arizona.

Close call between Brees and Mahomes. Brees has slightly better numbers, but Mahomes has played a tougher schedule.

NeverEnough said:
Goff not even making the list?!
I didn't want to list two players from the same team and it feels like Gurley is having a greater season. 

cloppbeast said:
Why is luck not in this conversation?
His team is 5-5. I think they have a shot at getting to 9 or 10 wins to get a wild card and then I'd put him in the convo, assuming he keeps up this play.  He won't win it, but he'd at least be in the discussion. 

I think the voters want to give it to Brees or Mahomes... and they're both deserving too.

We're only 65% done the season, lots can (and will) happen. 

If Mahomes breaks the TD record I think the award is his. 
If either team ends up with a 2 game edge on the other, I think they give it to the player from the better team. 
If everything stays on par with how it's going now, it's Brees.

I think the voters want to give it to Brees or Mahomes... and they're both deserving too.
I think voters want to give it to Brees if at all possible, exactly because of the sentiment expressed in this thread - "he should have won one by now". IMO any other candidate will have to surpass Brees by a healthy margin to win.

Even if Mahomes sets the TD record, I still think Brees will and should win if he maintains his own performance, since that would mean setting the all time record for completion percentage, passer rating, and QBR, all by healthy margins.

I think voters want to give it to Brees if at all possible, exactly because of the sentiment expressed in this thread - "he should have won one by now". IMO any other candidate will have to surpass Brees by a healthy margin to win.

Even if Mahomes sets the TD record, I still think Brees will and should win if he maintains his own performance, since that would mean setting the all time record for completion percentage, passer rating, and QBR, all by healthy margins.
Possibly.  It might very well be like the year Leo finally won the Oscar.

However I think passing TDs is a number they look at more than passer ratings which I think doesn't have much bearing.

If Mahomes sets the TD record and the Chiefs end up with the best record in the NFL, I think the award is his.  If not (and it's likely a not), than it's Drew

Between Brees & Mahomes but gotta figure they go Brees because it's just BS that he's never won it. He'll have all the records when he's done. To have no MVP's is just stupid.

Mahomes will win his share down the road.

Between Brees & Mahomes but gotta figure they go Brees because it's just BS that he's never won it. He'll have all the records when he's done. To have no MVP's is just stupid.

Mahomes will win his share down the road.
Brees should have won it in 2006. That is really the only year I'd have voted for him. He lead the NFL in yards that year, while taking the worst team in the NFC the year before, to the NFC Championship game. People forget this now, but without Brees specifically that year, there is a 50-50 chance, the Saints don't even exist as a team right now. There was a lot of off field things happening that winning cured. 

That said, I don't think that should factor into this year's race at all. The fact is, Brees has simply been better than Mahomes this year. Its close between Mahomes and Goff(I don't know how anyone could have Gurley ahead of him) for 2nd. 

I think Luck will probably win Comeback Player of the Year.
Who else is even in the running? The drop off from Luck to option 2, is bigger than the drop off from option 2, to option 200.

I'm actually having trouble coming up with another name that would even get a vote. Beckham maybe?

Possibly JJ Watt.
Can't believe I spaced him, great call. I think they tend to lean toward offensive players, but Watt is very deserving, much more so than Beckham. Its been under the radar, but Watt has a strong case for DPOY. He's been right at the front of Houston's 7 game winning streak.

ZWK said:
Close call between Brees and Mahomes. Brees has slightly better numbers, but Mahomes has played a tougher schedule.
I don't think it's close.

The votes here clearly show most of us don't either.

Looking at a few passing leaderboards:
ANY/A: Brees 1st, Mahomes 2nd, Goff 3rd
DVOA: Brees 1st, Mahomes 2nd, Rivers 3rd
DYAR: Mahomes 1st, Brees 2nd, Goff 3rd
EPA: Mahomes 1st, Brees 2nd, Goff 3rd
QBR: Brees 1st, Mahomes 2nd, Trubisky 3rd
PFF grade: Brees 1st, Mahomes 2nd, Goff 3rd

And looking at some team offense stats:
OSRS: Saints 1st, Chiefs 2nd, Rams 3rd
Offensive DVOA: Chiefs 1st, Rams 2nd, Saints 3rd
Pts per drive: Saints 1st, Chiefs 2nd, Rams 3rd
Yds per drive: Saints 1st, Rams 2nd, Chiefs 3rd

I know he won't get any backing but Khalil Mack has made a huge difference for the Bears.  I don't think the Bears are anywhere close to where they are without him.  I don't think he is the NFL MVP necessarily but he has been dominant and the best player on a team not expected to be where they are.
He's been the best defensive player in the league by a wide margin this year. 

Can't believe I spaced him, great call. I think they tend to lean toward offensive players, but Watt is very deserving, much more so than Beckham. Its been under the radar, but Watt has a strong case for DPOY. He's been right at the front of Houston's 7 game winning streak.
Mack is far ahead of Watt. 

Funny, as a Saints fan, I would say Mahomes was the leader before last night. Aside from the turnovers, you could still make that argument, but those turnovers and loss last night has to hurt and put Brees ahead.
Disagree that the Monday nighter hurt Mahomes.  That will be remembered as a bar burner where slinging the ball was a necessity.  That being said, I'd still give the MVP nod to Brees.

I think Mahomes has pulled ahead again.  Brees had that brutal game last week vs. Dallas, and Mahomes was big down the stretch today in the comeback win against a tough Ravens D.  If the Chiefs secure the 1 seed, Mahomes wins it. 

Brees, Mahomes and Rivers all are legit MVP caliber candidates for me. If any of them win it....totally legit.

Brees, Mahomes and Rivers all are legit MVP caliber candidates for me. If any of them win it....totally legit.
Agreed.  I actually think Tyreek Hill is the most valuable player on that Chiefs offense, but no way is a WR winning the MVP nowadays, so I will be totally fine if Mahomes win it considering the numbers how well he has played. 

Users who are viewing this thread