What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The worst FF move you made? (1 Viewer)

The Claymaker

Footballguy
Thought this may be a fun topic and maybe bring back some nice Homer moments for people. DOH!!

So I was just posting a good and bad moment in the IDP thread about snagging Danielle Hunter off the WW as a rookie and now he’s a beast. But last year I dropped Demarcus Lawrence prior to the first game, because I had heard he was having back issues and my D line was a deep position. Then I got to watch him play like a beast all season and finish as a top 3 DE I think. 

I also traded (threw in) Wes Welker on deal prior to his first season in NE, he eventually turned out to be the best player in the deal and I got nothing for him.

Another brilliant move in my FF life I dropped Alex Collins, the week before he broke out last year. I had held that guy like 5 weeks or more and watched him get a few carries here and there and I needed a bye week DT or kicker and that’s who I decided to drop. 

Anyway that’s a few of my dumb moments I got on the top of my dome. Hopefully others don’t mind sharing. 

I got Hunter off FA before his rookie year too lol.  :moneybag:

But aside from that, in my dynasty I traded Adam Theilen away about what...3 years ago after he randomly had his 1st breakout game. Figured at time I'd sell while some no-name was hot. 3 years later and I'm still thin at WR...

My horrible moves are too many to remember - but the most recent one was the horrible move this year that another owner saved me from making.  Wanted to shore up my bye weeks so after Week 5 I offered Tyreek Hill and Jordan Howard to a Chiefs fan for James White and either Hopkins or the combination of (Diggs and Allen Robinson).  Had I made that trade, I would be 4-7 instead of 7-4. He REALLY wanted Hill, but did not want to part with either Hopkins or Diggs.

Last year I dropped Jimmy G in a salary-cap dynasty about a week before he got traded.  I had him for 1 unit on a 400 cap.

ETA - salaries go up based on performance, with a max increase of 10 units, and top QBs routinely go into the 60-70 unit range, so I could have had him for probably 5-6 more years if he continued to play well.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Mack was traded to the Bears, I posted the news here. 

I was sure they were drafted. Which they were....by a team who took them as a 2nd D/ST & decided they needed to address a BYE issue at WR before week 1. :doh:

so while I was posting the news here, the guy who’s the 1-seed was adding the Bears to his team as a FA.

D/ST remains a weakness for me. Ugh. worst move I made this year. 

Traded Wes Welker and Jason Witten for Aaron Hernandez during the off-season when I was looking to upgrade TE in my main dynasty league..

Let's just say, a few months later, and I was dropping Hernandez, and the other owner walked away with the title belt that season.. 

Traded Wes Welker and Jason Witten for Aaron Hernandez during the off-season when I was looking to upgrade TE in my main dynasty league..

Let's just say, a few months later, and I was dropping Hernandez, and the other owner walked away with the title belt that season.. 
Ouch. 

hmm, traded away a 1st for Welker basically his last year in Denver thinking it would push me over the top.  It didn't

This year I traded Melvin Gordon away for Josh Gordon (and other pieces) before the season even started.

Traded away the 3.09 and 3.10 in rookie draft (2018) for a future 1st, Aaron Jones and Darnold still on the board (I was fine with passing up Darnold, 2QB league, didn't realize Jones was available)

I'm sure I've made plenty of other boneheaded moves, but that's what came to mind.  

Yep. Gordon has cost me two titles by holding roster spots for his return and starting him when he's not suspended. When he does start, it's usually for about 3-35 or something like that, and I've got better options on my bench. 

Other boneheaded moves. Knowing how good Tyreek Hill was and not making him my WR1 over drafting Gronkowski, who has been a bust all year.  

1) early in the L Maroney era, after he had his only 2 good games in a row, I passed up a trade where I would have received Deangelo Williams and Reggie Bush for Maroney.  Ugh.

2) tried to swap Zeke for Leveon last year during the suspension.  I didn't close the deal (just short term cheapness), which cost me a first round bye, and was the sole difference between winning vs not winning a title.

Some good moves in here, which unfortunately makes me feel better about my own dumb moves. :)

I am sure most of us have played FF a long time and some of these things are bound to happen eventually. But it’s nice to share. 

My name came out of the hat first in 2 of my local leagues to choose draft spot and I didn't choose #1 and draft Gurley in either of them

Dropped Eric Ebron after Week 1 (even though he scored) to snag John Ross. Long time Lions fan, figured he’d just be a tease all year / too inconsistent to trust, too talented to cut. Glad I got that out of my system right away.

#suboptimal

In dynasty league he have until the early games Sunday of week 6 to award contracts.  I awarded a 2 yr contract to Carlos Hyde (was top 15 RB at the time which means he would escalate if not under contract) and did not award a contract to Chubb figuring he wouldn't see enough touches this year to get into the top 15 to escalate for next year.  Three days later Hyde was traded to Jax and now Chubb is set to escalate and Hyde is nowhere to be found. 

In dynasty league he have until the early games Sunday of week 6 to award contracts.  I awarded a 2 yr contract to Carlos Hyde (was top 15 RB at the time which means he would escalate if not under contract) and did not award a contract to Chubb figuring he wouldn't see enough touches this year to get into the top 15 to escalate for next year.  Three days later Hyde was traded to Jax and now Chubb is set to escalate and Hyde is nowhere to be found. 
Drafted Hyde as my RB2 and that worked for awhile. Duke was underused but Chubb seemed to have no role. Chubb owner dropped him before Week 4 for Hines. Looked brilliant at the time, the Colts HB has 9 receptions & 2 TDs. That was the week Fitzmagic I ended so I dropped my backup QB & spent $10 on a lottery ticket.

Lose some, win some.

I traded away Ertz for Pryor the offseason where the Redskins signed Pryor after his big year in Cleveland. That has hurt for 2 straight seasons and will burn for years to come :(  

This year? Dropped Ebron earlier this year. I am upset that I traded Goff for Allen in the off season, but I don't think that qualifies.

Dropped Demaryius Thomas sometime before the 2011 season, after “reports” he had torn his Achilles in a workout.

At that time, a torn Achilles seemed to be a career ender, or at the very least would sap the explosiveness out of him going forward.

Made a miraculous recovery to start the season with Tebow. Was a playoff hero.

Then 2012 the Sheriff came riding into Denver and Demaryius was a fantasy stud for the next 3+ years.

But aside from that, in my dynasty I traded Adam Theilen away about what...3 years ago after he randomly had his 1st breakout game. Figured at time I'd sell while some no-name was hot. 3 years later and I'm still thin at WR...
Mine also involves Thielen, just a few months ago: I chose to keep SF's Marquise Goodwin over Adam Thielen as my sixth keeper because I'd shirked on my off-season research and a site I trusted had Goodwin tabbed as a breakout and ranked maybe 3 slots higher than Thielen.

Yeah ... that worked out. And I still don't have a legit WR2 (Golladay too inconcistent).

-Drafted Dez with my last pick in our draft. He held a spot on my roster. 

-Dropped him week 5. 

-Added him again on WW right before he blew his Achilles.

Ever? End of 2004 Traded Drew Brees to another team for Warrick Dunn because I just drafted Gomer Manning and had Favre. It was the only offer I got. I was so close to cutting Favre and holding Brees. This was before he went nuts with NO,so I can't take responsibility for the rest of the league's cheapness when it comes to trading and building a winner. The guy used Brees for 6 championships in 10 years. I keep him, I have those championships and probably more with Calvin, Andre Johnson and Brandon Marshall.

Best? Jerry Porter after a 9 TD season for a guys' future #1 pick. It ended up being the #1 and Calvin Johnson.

Leader in the clubhouse right there.  
Eh, that's not that unusual, especially with WRs. Antonio was a 6th rounder that did nothing his rookie year. Brown, Sanders and Mike Wallace moved around and around the next few years in my leagues, each had their supporters. Other future stud WRs like Chad Johnson, Roddy White and Demaryious Thomas were dropped in my leagues by their initial owners.

Kevan Barlow is a name that I will rue forever, thanks for convincing me to drink the kool-aid FBGs.

This past year, biggest mistake I made was in a redraft in late August I forgot to check if James Conner had been drafted, I just assumed the Bell owner had taken him at some point or another owner had snaked him. He went undrafted and unfortunately in this league rosters are locked until after week 1 where the lowest scoring team opening week got a huge gift.

Easy one.  I won DeAndre Hopkins in an auction startup for $1 when no one else bid.  But I'd thrown him out just to get other people to spend money and didn't want him.  So traded him away for peanuts soon afterwards.

All of these in various keeper leagues:

Had Peterson as a keeper in his 2nd or 3rd year in the league. Didn't draft Chester Taylor early enough and AP had a pre-season injury but was fine. Ended up trading rookie Chris Johnson and Matt Schaub for the Peterson insurance before Week 1.

I was starving for RB's and made a nice trade where I received rookie Maurice Jones-Drew as a throw-in. I promptly cut him before Week 1. 

Same league as the MJD debacle. I was hard pressed for RB's and had the 1st pick in the draft after each team declared 2 keepers. I was dead set on taking rookie Peterson until a team unexpectedly didn't keep Travis Henry (pre-season top 10 RB that year for Denver). Drafted Henry instead of Peterson. A round later I was deciding between Palmer or Brady at QB. I chose Palmer and Brady went off on his record breaking year with a newly acquired Moss. 

Eh, that's not that unusual, especially with WRs. Antonio was a 6th rounder that did nothing his rookie year. Brown, Sanders and Mike Wallace moved around and around the next few years in my leagues, each had their supporters. Other future stud WRs like Chad Johnson, Roddy White and Demaryious Thomas were dropped in my leagues by their initial owners.

Kevan Barlow is a name that I will rue forever, thanks for convincing me to drink the kool-aid FBGs.

This past year, biggest mistake I made was in a redraft in late August I forgot to check if James Conner had been drafted, I just assumed the Bell owner had taken him at some point or another owner had snaked him. He went undrafted and unfortunately in this league rosters are locked until after week 1 where the lowest scoring team opening week got a huge gift.
I can beat that. I actually drafted Conner this year, in a keeper league. Then I dropped him before Week 1 so I could pick up Alfred Morris after the injury to McKinnon.

And thanks for bringing up Kevan Barlow. His name will always live in infamy. I can't even describe the bitterness I felt the season I drafted him in the first round.

I passed up Arian Foster for Jhavid Best in a dynasty league.  Cost me league titles as Arian Foster was the top guy for many years.. 

Not scouting Mahomes at all because I had just drafted Wentz and had Matt Ryann of a huge year. I still should have looked at his film but I completely ignored him like he didn't exist. Never again. I could have put him on the RS for 2 years.

After looking back at that draft, I wasn't getting him anyway as I didn't have a 2nd round pick.

I remember another terrible pick I traded up to make, Devin Thomas WR Washington. He had 1 big college season, he definitely looked the part and man was he terrible. I held him for like 3-4 years just hoping he would suddenly become good, nope. 

I passed up Arian Foster for Jhavid Best in a dynasty league.  Cost me league titles as Arian Foster was the top guy for many years.. 
I'll top that - traded Foster the year before his breakout and a what-I-thought-was-a-washed-up 30 year old Steve Smith for the #6 pick in the draft that year, which I then used on that load in the pants rookie RB the Dolphins drafted (forgot his name, or erased it from my memory).

That trade burned me for 5 years

This year I drafted Big Ben as my starting QB.  Later in the draft my Draft Dominator app was telling me it was time to get a backup QB.  Alex Smith was the highest rated on the app.  Right below Smith was Pat Mahomes.  I remember looking at the rankings and thinking... hmmm, I wonder why they have Mahomes ranked lower than Smith?  Well, he is a rookie and it is his first time as a starter.  I guess there is that 'unknown' factor with Mahomes.  On the other hand, I have a pretty good starter with Big Ben.  I could use the backup to 'roll the dice' on a high upside QB. 

Naaaaa... I am going to stick to the app this year.  No 'gut' decisions.  Then I drafted Alex Smith.

I have to add that this is one of my best years in fantasy in a long time, and the first time I used the Draft Dominator app so I definitely don't have anything bad to say otherwise.  That's just the one pick this year I wish I had a do over for.

My name came out of the hat first in 2 of my local leagues to choose draft spot and I didn't choose #1 and draft Gurley in either of them
I support this bold move.  That dude was just a flash in the pan last season.  Definitely go with LeVeon--superior talent.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

If this is all time, I have one that has to be top 3 worst moves ever. 

I traded away Evans, Kelce, and A-Rob (this was Evans rookie year) for Lacy and garbage. Well, Lacy is garbage, so yeah, I traded 3 future studs for garbage.  :bag:

two come to mind but one isn't really a move. Both in dynasty.

In early 2011 (week 1 or 2 probably) I dropped Victor Cruz and picked up Cadillac Williams  :unsure:

On Aug 20th, 2011 I bid the league minimum $62,500 on Antonio Brown (thinking no one else would know who the hell he was) and was outbid with a winning bid of $82,500  :sadbanana: :X :cry:

gawd... so many to list... keeper auction league, all this year:

Paid first round money for Dalvin Cook at the draft.

Traded Conner away without using him even once thinking Bell comes back early in the year.

Dropped Tre'quan Smith (was $1!!!) for i don't even remember what preceding the week he became the starter. ugh!!!

Was sure Godwin's fantasy output will be close to Desean Jackson. Maybe i'm just a DJax hater since he left Philly. Either way, paid more to get Godwin and passed on DJax for less.

Bought into Carr and the Raiders to start the season.

And one from years ago that I still regret, when he sucked, I put Devante Adams on a personal do not ever pick up because he will never be good list. I hate that list. had many opportunities to have him on the roster cheap and passed on him over and over.

This one is easy for me. Both my dumbest move and worst luck in more than 20 years of FF.

During the 2017 rookie draft in my 16-team dynasty I traded away my 2018 1st rounder for a late 2017 first rounder. My target? Jamaal Williams.🤢 This was when he had started creeping up into the late first/early second (partly due to Waldman/RSP evaluations) and I was pretty high on him myself. I was looking to build out depth for a team that had won 2 consecutive titles and had won 3 out of the last 4 championships. I recall discussing the deal with a friend before pulling the trigger and we agreed it would take a disaster for my 2018 pick to be high, so it seemed like a late first now in exchange for a late first the next year. That seemed like an asset I could easily recover. I almost never trade away future firsts, but I broke my own rule here.

Disaster hit: I lost DJ, Beckham, and Olsen for the season (TE premium), plus several of my other players got hurt at different times, to the point where I struggled to field a starting lineup. That 2018 first turned into the 1.1 and I lost out on the Chosen One, who will now terrorize me the rest of my days.

If this is all time, I have one that has to be top 3 worst moves ever. 

I traded away Evans, Kelce, and A-Rob (this was Evans rookie year) for Lacy and garbage. Well, Lacy is garbage, so yeah, I traded 3 future studs for garbage.  :bag:
Good god, did someone have blackmail on you or something?

I traded Melvin Gordon and Dion Lewis for Dez Bryant and a late 1st round pick a couple years ago in a startup dynasty. It was my first dynasty and I was anxious to accrue a pick. I thought Woodhead was gonna be taking more and more work from Gordon and I needed WR help. Luckily for me, I traded that late first up to the #4 overall and landed Mixon so it wasn't a total loss. My league mates still give me #### about it. Now, my WRs are Hopkins, Adams, Hill and Evans and I'd be dominating the league with Gordon.

Gordon losing work to Woodhead is the second worst advice I've seen on here. The top is that Mike Wallace is the Pittsburgh receiver to own and Antonio Brown was a jag.

Well if we speaking on terms of draft misses, 4 years ago I had 2 top 6 picks in our dynasty rookie draft, #3 and #6.

Badly needed RBs, so drafting 2 was a given. I took Melvin Gordon at #3 since Gurley went 1. Then at #6, I had 3 guys in mind that were still available, Ajayi, Yeldon, and DJ. The Ajayi knee bone-on-bone thing spooked me. So down to Yeldon and DJ. I know it's kind of a reach for both at the time but I had to.

Of course....I took Yeldon. Dude who took DJ ended up winning the title DJ's 1st 2 years in the league. I'd probably have been cruising to a 2nd or 3rd title this year with an RB squad of Flash and DJ.

Easy. Drafting DeShaun Watson and overpaying. The worst. Went against every FF principle I’ve ever held and I’ve paid. Waste of money this year due to this.

Users who are viewing this thread