What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody (1 Viewer)

El Floppo

Footballguy
I wish all of you in the FFA community the very best for Thanksgiving- hope you all have off tomarrow.

we're staying local, but getting a hotel for a night with a pool in jersey city near the science museum. 

going to a restaurant for the turkey (and sushi for a 7yo) and hopefully otherwise just loafing around.

you?

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm also staying local.  Most of my family lives in the NYC area.  Going to my brother's place in Westchester.  Grand Central on Thanksgiving is... interesting.

Yep, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the FFA. 

I'll be at my brother's in CA. Should be interesting, as always. But cool.  

Happy Thanksgiving!  I have to drive about 6 blocks to my sister's place.  Will spend most of Thursday and Friday there.  

Smoking some turkeys overnight for a local shelter.  I have managed to gather 100 supply bags as well with wool socks, hat, gloves, and toiletries to give out as well.  Tomorrow will get back to my home early and start on our turkey.  A few touches to the Christmas lights and then a day of watching football and drifting in and out of sleep to compensate for the night's sleep I miss doing turkeys for the shelter.

Hopefully some folks will be a bit less cold and hungry this season.

I love the short piece on Thanksgiving, written by Meathead Goldwyn, which appeared in the Chicago Tribune in 2013 regarding the War on Thanksgiving:

2013-11-27

Let's Fight Back Against The War On Thanksgiving, A Holiday More All-American Than July 4 Or Christmas

By Meathead Goldwyn

This ran in the Chicago Tribune on the op-ed page as a guest commentary on 11/27/2013, the day before Thanksgiving.

Why are we whining about a "War on Christmas" when it is really Thanksgiving that is under fire?

This year Macy's and many others will be open Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday starts on Thursday. It was bad enough that scores of stores opened at midnight, leaving little time for sleep, but now employers are forcing their "valued" employees to leave their food, family, and fellowship, and work through the meal and through the night, not to mention that they are enticing shoppers to leave the dirty dishes in search of bargains.

This is all the more outrageous because Thanksgiving is the quintessential All-American holiday, more important and meaningful than any other American holiday, including Independence Day.

Think about this: We are a nation of immigrants. We are all descendants of immigrants, even native Americans. Everybody here from someplace else. Every nationality on earth, every culture, every language. As we have just seen, politics and religion divide us deeply and profoundly. But once a year we get together with our friends and families, fractious though they may be, give thanks to our various gods, to our hosts, to each other, and share a feast.

Americans share this event not only nationwide, but overseas, in war zones, with expats on the job in Johannesburg or Johannisberg. And we share it over time, with our ancestors back to 1621, less than a year after the Mayflower dropped British colonists in Plymouth, MA. They left England to seek religious freedom, and they gave thanks for their first harvest by sharing a feast with the Wampanoag tribe. The celebration continued informally until 1863 when President Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day to be held each November to honor the "blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies."

That means the feast we are serving has been shared like this for almost 400 years, more than 100 years longer than Independence Day. July 4 may be about independence, but William Jennings Bryan once wrote "On Thanksgiving Day, we acknowledge our dependence." The Thanksgiving ceremonial repast connects us all as part of an unparalleled time-space continuum. This makes it truly the most important American holiday.

A few of us may have lasagna or prime rib, but most of us, across the vastness of the globe, across all age groups, across politics and religion, share pretty much the same menu of turkey, the bird Ben Franklin, the coolest founder, wanted to be our national bird; dressing made from bread, the humblest and noblest of foods; potatoes, the most earthy peasant food that sustained our ancestors in hardship; gravy to ladle over the potatoes and meat to moisten and enrich them; cranberries, a bauble sweet and sour, just like life itself; something green, like green beans or a salad to make Mom happy; plenty of wine, the beverage of conviviality and conversation; and All-American apple pie. If this is not your menu, it should be.

OK, at your house you might skip the cranberries or prefer pumpkin pie, but the thought that so many of us are sharing this classic menu, this celebration, this unique national cultural touchstone, is enough to make me weep, all the more because food, my great love and livelihood, is at the center of the action.

The encroachment of Black Friday into Thursday also makes me weep. Why are we letting greedy merchants steal this signal patriotic event from their clerks, stockboys, cashiers, and managers? Where is the outcry from the family values crowd? Where are the flag draped patriots?

Let me make it clear, I have nothing against capitalism and profit. I am a serial entrepreneur myself. But I do have something against greed. And I do respect family values.

Yes, I know thousands line up for the bargains when the stores open up on Thursday, and that is their decision. But the people who have to stock the shelves, man the cash registers, sweep the floors, and break up the fights in the aisles have no choice. They either abandon their families on this family day, or risk their jobs.

When I sit down for dinner on the fourth Thursday in November and reflect on the fact that I am part of a ritual feast shared by so many for so long, I am deeply and truly awed. More so when I realize that thousands are eating my recipes.

And then, as I chew, I wonder, why don't I cook turkey, dressing, and cranberries more often? And the answer is clear. Because Thanksgiving and all the fixins are sacred. Let's keep it that way. Let's not go shopping until Friday morning and let's tell the shopkeepers to let their employees and customers spend this most special American day with their families and friends.

Running a race in the morning and then staying home after that.  We do a lunch thing and prefer it over dinner.  More time for drinking afterwards imo.  Be thankful for the friends and family you have above all else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you

I'm laying in bed with my wife and kids to watch the Parade. Then after the first float, all my kids will run for electronics and other stuff on TV. My wife and I will stay under the covers, sipping coffee and finish the parade at which point I will go spark up the grill and get the turkey on. Guests will arrive at 4. At some time around 6 we will eat, all the while enjoying football and company. 

Going to my parents' place at some point tomorrow.  Before that I may have a beer or three while watching the NFL games.  Will stay over at my parents without the wife and kids as me and my sister are gonna hit up a bar later in the evening.  

UT football game on Friday morning, home in time to watch that while veggin' out.

Dinner at the in-laws with our usual holiday night movie escape plan.  Karaoke with friends on Friday.  X concert Saturday.

Thankful it rained today in Northern California :thumbup:

ETA:  sorry to the people who gotta work on Thursday.

Dinner at my daughters house.  First time my wife has not cooked in forever.  I'll be watching football and playing with the grandkids, on some nice pain killers for the small tear in my left knee meniscus Sunday night.

I wish all of you in the FFA community the very best for Thanksgiving- hope you all have off tomarrow.

we're staying local, but getting a hotel for a night with a pool in jersey city near the science museum. 

going to a restaurant for the turkey (and sushi for a 7yo) and hopefully otherwise just loafing around.

you?
Thanks. You too

Firing up the Weber early in the morning to get the turkey on. Inlaws coming over at noon for dinner. Watch football until we go to the nursing home where my mom is at for supper with my side. Finish watching football when we get back home.  Working Friday and Saturday until noon the off to Minneapolis Sunday for the Vikings/Packers game. Should be a great weekend. 

Will get to see all of my kids but 1 which is kind of a big thing beings the oldest 3 are no longer at home.  Wish I could see the 1 that I won't get to, but that is way too long of a story and hopefully things with him will start turning around.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! No plans except to count my blessings and be thankful for what I have.

And remember,  you can save a ton of money on Christmas by talking politics at Thanksgiving! 😯🦃🙏🏻🧡

Happy Thanksgiving iBuds. I'll be spending 5 days in NorCal with all meals provided by our generous hosts.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm super stoked and on a 7 day vacation in Phoenix, staying with pretty much all of the in-laws.

I'm thankful that I like my in-laws, love my wife and kids, will eat like a king, and have another fun filled 5 days before I have to go back to work.

This is my 2nd favorite holiday behind the 4th of July.  Merica!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all. It's 7 a.m., time to start prepping the bird. I am the parent/grandparent in this equation, so everyone gathers here. Can be lots of work, but well worth it to have all the family together!

Wow, long night.  Smoking turkeys all night and peeling 50 lbs of potatoes, 20 lbs of carrots, 20 lbs of onions, chopping ten stalks of celery, cleaning 20 lbs of green beans, and scrubbing up 40 lbs of yams.  Its going to be a harder night on my those who have to finish all of that work to get the meal service ready to go starting in 6 hours. They were up all nght too but have to keep going and be on top of their game to get things finished, transported, and then served.  I'm back home.  I have dragged my smoker back around the house and have it set and going for our family meal.  I think I woke the neighbors doing that.  I'll probably take a quick nap and then start on the outdoor lights for a bit and then catch some of the football. 

Wow, long night.  Smoking turkeys all night and peeling 50 lbs of potatoes, 20 lbs of carrots, 20 lbs of onions, chopping ten stalks of celery, cleaning 20 lbs of green beans, and scrubbing up 40 lbs of yams.  Its going to be a harder night on my those who have to finish all of that work to get the meal service ready to go starting in 6 hours. They were up all nght too but have to keep going and be on top of their game to get things finished, transported, and then served.  I'm back home.  I have dragged my smoker back around the house and have it set and going for our family meal.  I think I woke the neighbors doing that.  I'll probably take a quick nap and then start on the outdoor lights for a bit and then catch some of the football. 
You're a good man DW. Well done.

Over the river and thru the woods, to Woodstock Vt we go. My foodie cousin who's made a fortune flipping farms to flatlanders hosts a big shindig for fam & friends. The eldest member in the history of my father's family died yesterday, so a bit dampered will the celebration be, but me Da - the patriarch now @ 93 - seems up to see the loved ones he has left.

Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours. May the blessings of life fill the day.

you?
Lol... We're doing the exact same thing this year too. Different hotel, and our favorite restaurant that had both sushi and tday turkey closed (where we ate last year), so going elsewhere without sushi (sorry floppinha).

Also our anniversary, so going for dinner at the top of the new world trade tower.

And I'm still thankful for this incredible community of fine folk and ifriends and neds sister's potato salad.

Happy TDay boys!

Toddler is sick and Momma is still hurting from child birth...so while I’ve had a crazy week and we can’t make our family gathering...my Mom is bringing all the food over to our house this afternoon. Very thankful for that!

Users who are viewing this thread