What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DK Metcalf, SEA (1 Viewer)

ty247

Footballguy
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm unsure about this guy. I'm sure there will be a number of treadwell comparisons. that seems to be the lazy argument against most of these wrs these days, but he is very intriguing. 

It all depends on destination like all of these guys.

He was looked at as a better prospect than AJ Brown before his injury. 

top 5 in this class. If he really runs a 4.46 at 6'4" 230, thats nuts.

Treadwell is a lazy comparison because of the same school. Treadwell is slow as molasses. He's nothing like him.
I was really high on him until his injury. still am but unsure of what pick I'd spend on him. 

As far as talent goes I agree he's top 5 if he can get that speed back.

AJ Brown, N'Keal Harry, and Anthony Johnson > DK Metcalf. 

Metcalf does not have the resume of those 3 but has the look of a top flight WR. The risk with him is lack of a college WR resume and it is a big risk. Once he's selected and I read the minicamp reports, that's when I'll get a better read on him. 'He's coming along' or 'it's a work in progress' is a red flag. 'Our best CBs are having a hard time with him' is what I want to hear. Or, 'his routes need work but he's dominating our DBs'. 'He's faster than we thought' is always good because that means his 40 time is not as good as his game speed.

As far as a physical specimen at WR he is at the top....if the neck injury is checked out and deemed to be nothing.

top 5 in this class. If he really runs a 4.46 at 6'4" 230, thats nuts.

Treadwell is a lazy comparison because of the same school. Treadwell is slow as molasses. He's nothing like him.
I was going to say the same thing. Haha

About the comparison not top 5. Not sure yet on that. I need to study him more. 

I really wish he had more of a resume. That's why I'll really pay attention to his minicamp reports. That was where I weeded out guys like Corey Coleman and Treadwell.
I think he carries a lot of risk (not because of the injury), but I do see him going 1.03 in PPR dynasty drafts after Brown and Harry (pre NFL draft).

I think he carries a lot of risk (not because of the injury), but I do see him going 1.03 in PPR dynasty drafts after Brown and Harry (pre NFL draft).
I can't take AJ Brown. He just doesn't say wow to me. Not sure why. He just seems like a Keenum Allen guy as far as what his stat line will be and who I own and is damn good but not great. Frustrating owning the guy getting you down the field but doesn't have that speed to take one to the house as my #1 WR.

Thanks to Leveon and Wentz stinking, I'm picking #1 in a year where I could use another RB and the better players are WRs.

I can't take AJ Brown. He just doesn't say wow to me. Not sure why. He just seems like a Keenum Allen guy as far as what his stat line will be and who I own and is damn good but not great. Frustrating owning the guy getting you down the field but doesn't have that speed to take one to the house as my #1 WR.

Thanks to Leveon and Wentz stinking, I'm picking #1 in a year where I could use another RB and the better players are WRs.
I wouldn't argue taking Harry 1.01 over Brown but I would definitely argue taking Metcalf over Brown.  Some are in love with David Montgomery, so he could crap on some WR parade.

Metcalf goes to SF and Brown goes to JAX. ;)

Of course, Shanahan is totally in love with little fast guys so Marquise Brown could go there. Goodwin is a ham & egger.

Montgomery has moves and fights for yards but I wonder what his 40 will be.

lod001 said:
Metcalf goes to SF and Brown goes to JAX. ;)

Of course, Shanahan is totally in love with little fast guys so Marquise Brown could go there. Goodwin is a ham & egger.

Montgomery has moves and fights for yards but I wonder what his 40 will be.
If that's where those two land Metcalf >> Brown. Jax is where WR go to die with Bortles there. 

DK Metcalf has that same calmness under pressure body language that Michael Crabtree shows.  Crabs is a bit smaller (and a superior route runner) but the smoothness out of breaks and the ability to get the job done are similar.  Both had injuries entering the draft too.  If Metcalf can't test he won't go nearly as high though.

Opinions Vary On Rebels' NFL Draft Stock

Excerpt:

Somewhat surprisingly, The Draft Network has Metcalf being the first Rebel selected, projecting him to be taken in the first round with the ninth overall pick by the Buffalo Bills. Of course, it's speculation, as the NFL's team draft order hasn't even been established yet, but it's an interesting take nonetheless. Metcalf's season ended in October when he suffered a neck injury versus Arkansas.

Here is what The Draft Network's Solak says about Metcalf: As the news broke earlier this week that D.K. Metcalf would indeed declare for the 2019 NFL Draft, I wondered how high his ceiling was. This is probably it: working his way into Top-10 consideration with a clean bill of health and stellar Combine testing. Metcalf’s density-adjusted athleticism will top the charts, and his tape beats that of teammate A.J. Brown when put under the microscope. Buffalo needs WR help and shouldn’t shy away from any fit/style of play — so Metcalf unseats Kelvin Benjamin, thank the good Lord in heaven.

Obviously, his performance in the looming NFL Combine and Ole Miss Pro Day will be important as to where Metcalf places in the draft.

The Draft Network's Trevor Sikkema projects Ole Miss junior WR D.K. Metcalf to be the first receiver selected in the 2019 draft.

Sikkema projects him to be selected at pick No. 13 and said "Fellow Rebels wide receiver A.J. Brown is the one getting most of the hype, but at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, Metcalf has better size and even has some better plays than Brown, though not as much production yet, as Metcalf is just a redshirt sophomore." He also projects another receiver to go off the board shortly afterwards in Miami wideout Ahmmon Richards. Metcalf has a really high ceiling as an intriguing prospect with good physical attributes. As long as he can match that with production this season he should have a good opportunity to be drafted fairly high.

Source: The Draft Network 

Aug 12 - 1:47 PM

D.K. Metcalf - WR -  Rebels

Pro Football Focus's Curtis Patrick lists Ole Miss junior WR D.k. Metcalf as one of the top developmental prospects in the SEC.

Most of the attention goes to A.J. Brown on the Rebels -- and for good reason, he's the better prospect -- but Metcalf (6'4/225) has NFL potential himself. Nine of his 41 catches over the last two years have gone for touchdowns, and he seemed to get stronger as the season went on in 2017. As Patrick summarizes: "If his improvement arc continues, Metcalf should post bigger numbers in 2018 while defenses are busy trying to contain Brown."

Source: Pro Football Focus 

Jul 13 - 8:57 PM

I would definitely argue taking Metcalf over Brown.
Ah.  I misunderstood this originally and thought it at odds with your previous post.  After seeing your subsequent post, I see that you are not making the argument for Metcalf (as I originally read) but rather arguing against those who would do so.

Ah.  I misunderstood this originally and thought it at odds with your previous post.  After seeing your subsequent post, I see that you are not making the argument for Metcalf (as I originally read) but rather arguing against those who would do so.
That would be correct

D.K. Metcalf - WR -  Rebels

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah compared Ole Miss redshirt sophomore WR D.K. Metcalf to Josh Gordon.

Jeremiah specifically notes that Metcalf (6'3/230) and Gordon have similar builds and have similar playing styles. The analyst continues to say the Metcalf's upside is "HUGE" as long as he continues to develop his route tree. This has been the consensus among most draft analysts, but the biggest aspect of Metcalf's evaluation will be his medicals. If everything checks out, Metcalf could emerge as the top player in the 2019 WR class and a potential top-20 selection.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter 

Dec 28 - 7:14 PM

I don't hate Metcalf, but the amount of times he pushes off worries me.  I don't know how he got away with some of those in college, and maybe he can get away with it in the pro's but a lot of his catches scream offensive PI.  

I wish he had a bit bigger sample size to look into, but my God his measurables....

Didnt watch any Ole Miss games this year, watched some clips of him on youtube and whatnot where everyone looks like a HoFer.

I will say, that if he gets right from his injury, I can see this guy being an absolute problem for defenses. I agree with Zyphros about the OPI stuff, I saw quite a few clips of him using his long arms to get some seperation (albeit mostly on underthrown balls, his long speed doesnt seem to be a problem). Maybe it will be something he needs coached out of him, or maybe he will take the Hopkins How To class on how to push off all the time and never get flagged for it :)

I think he might have as high a ceiling as anyone in this class. At the moment I have Harry and the Metcalf as 1, 2.

That seems to be the early consensus and makes the most sense to me... although I've done very little homework.
I would absolutely love it if Metcalf went 1.2 in my leagues 

1.01 - N'Keal Harry WR Arizona St.

1.02 - A J Brown WR Ole Miss

1.03 - Josh Jacobs RB Alabama

1.04 - D K Metcalf WR Ole Miss

1.05 - Kelvin Harmon WR N C State

1.06 - Marquise Brown WR Oklahoma

1.07 - David Montgomery RB Iowa St.

1.08 - Damien Harris RB Alabama

1.09 - Rodney Anderson RB OK

1.10 - Benny Snell Jr RB Kentucky

JohnnyU said:
I would absolutely love it if Metcalf went 1.2 in my leagues 

1.01 - N'Keal Harry WR Arizona St.

1.02 - A J Brown WR Ole Miss

1.03 - Josh Jacobs RB Alabama

1.04 - D K Metcalf WR Ole Miss

1.05 - Kelvin Harmon WR N C State

1.06 - Marquise Brown WR Oklahoma

1.07 - David Montgomery RB Iowa St.

1.08 - Damien Harris RB Alabama

1.09 - Rodney Anderson RB OK

1.10 - Benny Snell Jr RB Kentucky
That's the highest I've seen Josh Jacobs. Also, it seems AJ is getting bumped down to 4th or 5th WR based on the perception that he's limited to the slot and will be scheme dependent. If he were to land somewhere that features the slot, I think his stock would re-coup some of the value it's lost over the past 12 months. Not that his value is down on its own, but it's down relative to rookie drafts due to being leap frogged by the taller WRs. My drafts are all after the NFL draft luckily...

I don't even have Metcalf in the top5 right now based purely on talent.  I think he's a pretty similar guy to Christine Michael.  His measurables will make people drool at what could have been, but he hasn't shown really anything (partially due to the small sample like you said) on the field that I've seen to be worthy of being considered in the top5 of the WR group.  Absolutely agree his ceiling is super high, but his floor is below the basement too.  I don't get the argument for him being #1 at all, makes no sense.  

I think the position drills and interviews at the combine will tell a lot about him because that requires fast twitch muscles and quick thinking rather than just getting by with his athleticism.  Love me some Harry though.  

Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf (neck) has been cleared for all football activities.

Metcalf (6'4/230) underwent neck surgery in October and subsequently announced at the end of the 2018 season that he would be entering the NFL Draft. The timing of his clearance, here, is perfect, as the Ole Miss wideout is expected to be able to participate in all tests and drills at the NFL Scouting Combine upcoming. He was viewed as a potential first-round prospect prior to being waylaid by the neck surgery in the fall. While it's great to see Metcalf cleared, medical checks will still be a crucial part of his evaluation (beyond the neck injury, he sustained a broken foot in 2016).

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jan 25 - 12:20 PM

A few weeks ago I watched about a 6 minute highlight video of him. I was actually at the  the game he got hurt this year but other then that game I'd not actually watched an Ole Miss game this year, had not seen him on TV all year.  He blew me away when I watched the video,  felt like the Josh Gordon comp that DJ gave him was dead on. My only knock was most of the routes looked similar, was not seeing a varied route tree but what he did he looked outstanding doing it.

Before I watched that video I never checked his stats. After I checked his stats and saw his meager production I was kind of left scratching my head because I think if they'd made that 6 minute "highlight" video about 1- 2 minutes longer they could have included every catch of his career. It's like almost all of his catches are highlight reel worthy.

This is where my main concern comes in and really unless he runs surprisingly slow or something the combine is not overly crucial to me. I'm more concerned with trying to find out if he can run a more complete route tree, I think I'll be more interested in what scouts have to say about his route running acumen then how he tests. As PPR fantasy goes I need some volume, my major concern with him right now is that he's more of a low volume deep ball/red zone guy-at least to start. My guess is that's what he'll be year one, similar to rookie Josh Gordon and kind of similar to Courtland Sutton. Not a huge route tree, not a lot of volume.

And saying that right now he is my  #1WR in this class because I think the upside is tremendous. But I also fear he's likely going to take some time to payoff. If you look at players on your team like a stock he might not be a great guy to invest in because I think a good chance his stock actually  dips or stagnates in year one. He's not an ideal kind of rookie to pick, expect him to hit big quickly and move. He's the kind or guy that if I spend a high draft pick on I'm doing so realizing I might need to sit back and wait 2-3 years for this to start panning out. 

As PPR fantasy goes I need some volume, my major concern with him right now is that he's more of a low volume deep ball/red zone guy-at least to start. My guess is that's what he'll be year one, similar to rookie Josh Gordon and kind of similar to Courtland Sutton. Not a huge route tree, not a lot of volume.

And saying that right now he is my  #1WR in this class because I think the upside is tremendous. But I also fear he's likely going to take some time to payoff. If you look at players on your team like a stock he might not be a great guy to invest in because I think a good chance his stock actually  dips or stagnates in year one. He's not an ideal kind of rookie to pick, expect him to hit big quickly and move. He's the kind or guy that if I spend a high draft pick on I'm doing so realizing I might need to sit back and wait 2-3 years for this to start panning out. 
Yep. My biggest concern is volume because of lack of a route tree. Of the mock draft landing spots, I only like Indy. Balt would be a disaster and a lot of mocks have him in BUF. He can have some monster games there and follow them up with 2-40 I think.

he's a better football player. He's not as fast but is better at catching the ball & fighting for the ball but will be Perrimann if BALT drafts him. No one can thrive there.
Total agreement here on Perriman vs Metcalk and also that Baltimore is where WR's go  to die. 

I believe Metcalf is the biggest risk / reward WR in the draft.  IMO it's hard to spend a top 3 pick on him, but if you're a gambler and it pays off, it could be huge.  Or you will be kicking yourself for doing it.

I believe Metcalf is the biggest risk / reward WR in the draft.  IMO it's hard to spend a top 3 pick on him, but if you're a gambler and it pays off, it could be huge.  Or you will be kicking yourself for doing it.
I don't trust any WR in this draft as a top 3 pick right now. Not that some don't have major upside. But even real NFL teams are struggling at drafting WR's.

This was interesting quote that Chris Ballard said last year after the NFL draft, interesting enough that it kind of stuck in my head:

“I’ll tell you this though, wideout is the most over-graded position in the draft,” Ballard said. “There’s a million of them. You look at a draft board, and every wideout gets a damn grade. Because they’re all catching balls. To me, there’s 2 things you need to look at. One, can you find enough press snaps and rolled-up coverage snaps that they can handle getting off? And then, anybody can make the wide-open (catch). It’s the contested catches---the tough, competitive contested catches. Can they make those? If they can make those, they’ve got a real shot.

“You’re going to look at yards after catch, all those are important things. But to me, the first things are can he get off press? And then can he make those hard, competitive contested catches? And there were some guys in this draft that I had questioned if they could do it. I mean, I dug to try to find it, and if I can’t find it, I’ll let somebody else (pick them).”

if he lucks into being drafted by Indy, I'm all over him at 1.1 unless one of the RBs gets a gig that has a line to a 3 down job.

I don't trust any WR in this draft as a top 3 pick right now. Not that some don't have major upside. But even real NFL teams are struggling at drafting WR's.

This was interesting quote that Chris Ballard said last year after the NFL draft, interesting enough that it kind of stuck in my head:

“I’ll tell you this though, wideout is the most over-graded position in the draft,” Ballard said. “There’s a million of them. You look at a draft board, and every wideout gets a damn grade. Because they’re all catching balls. To me, there’s 2 things you need to look at. One, can you find enough press snaps and rolled-up coverage snaps that they can handle getting off? And then, anybody can make the wide-open (catch). It’s the contested catches---the tough, competitive contested catches. Can they make those? If they can make those, they’ve got a real shot.

“You’re going to look at yards after catch, all those are important things. But to me, the first things are can he get off press? And then can he make those hard, competitive contested catches? And there were some guys in this draft that I had questioned if they could do it. I mean, I dug to try to find it, and if I can’t find it, I’ll let somebody else (pick them).”
I'm early into my evaluations, but I think Metcalf checks the boxes you want checked.  I'm all over this guy at 1.5. 

You.tube Beer-goggles: reminds me of T.O.

I'm early into my evaluations, but I think Metcalf checks the boxes you want checked.  I'm all over this guy at 1.5. 

Unless he looks like he's running with cement shoes at the combine I agree with you.  I cannot see him getting past 1.5 in any dynasty rookie draft.

mefcalf is likely a top 4 pick. I like the guy to some degree. some concerns. 

Baltimore is the kiss of death

eta: top 4 I mean rookie draft. have to be specific for some posters around here

Tune in next year for my drunk evaluations of prospects.  Remind me though.  

Users who are viewing this thread