What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DK Metcalf, SEA (1 Viewer)

While you see massive upside you still seem unsure yourself that DK should be the #1 pick (although maybe it’s between him and Jacobs for you.) I guess I’m not seeing anyone post that metcalf is their #1 pick or #1 wr with the same conviction as people saying they want Harry or brown, or Jacobs for that matter. Yes, the thread is 12 pages of injury history vs production while there, fast 40 time vs slow 3 cone, whether any of that matters, and praise of upside with recognition of some warts. 
He isnt my 1.1, but he probably should be. 

Other boards have Metcalf as the undisputed 1.1, and Biabreakables poll. This board seems more divided. But this board also likes Jacobs, whereas other boards love Sanders. It's interesting. I see the upside with Metcalf and why someone would take him. I appreciate his limitations, but his ceiling is higher than any of the other wrs in this draft, that's why I say he should be the 1.1 However, I understand why he wouldnt be someone's 1.1- because he isnt mine. 

Other boards have Metcalf as the undisputed 1.1, and Biabreakables poll. This board seems more divided. But this board also likes Jacobs, whereas other boards love Sanders. It's interesting. I see the upside with Metcalf and why someone would take him. I appreciate his limitations, but his ceiling is higher than any of the other wrs in this draft, that's why I say he should be the 1.1 However, I understand why he wouldnt be someone's 1.1- because he isnt mine. 
He beat out Harry by a decent margin, but I think it’s wise to take into account that the poll came on the heels of the combine when his stock was sky high. Even pro day results have probably changed this a bit since March 4 when his poll began. I may have to dig out the pre combine poll...

Pre combine 1.01 poll

Fair to assume some people have come back to their pre combine feelings. Only one vote for DK pre combine....what say all you fbgs that say “combine doesn’t mean that much?” The numbers tell another story

Snorkelson said:
Pre combine 1.01 poll

Fair to assume some people have come back to their pre combine feelings. Only one vote for DK pre combine....what say all you fbgs that say “combine doesn’t mean that much?” The numbers tell another story
nice find. thanks. I'd agree, most people are probably back to pre combine rankings

Injuries, lack of production, and awful agility numbers are terrifying w/ this guy.  Has Darrius Heyward-Bey written all over it. 

Karma police, arrest this man.  He talks in knots.  He buzzes like a fridge.  He's like a detuned radio.

Karma police, arrest this man.  He talks in knots.  He buzzes like a fridge.  He's like a detuned radio.
I dont understand what is unclear.

Metcalf has an elite, generational ceiling. No other WR in this class does. That kind of potential is definitely worth 1.1.  Comes with risk, for sure

Many like him on other boards as the undisputed 1.1.

I'm not as big of a risk taker as some. I've admitted this several times over the last 16 years posting here. So he wouldn't be my 1.1 as it stands right now :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont understand what is unclear.

Metcalf has an elite, generational ceiling. No other WR in this class does. That kind of potential is definitely worth 1.1.  Comes with risk, for sure

Many like him on other boards as the undisputed 1.1.

I'm not as big of a risk taker as some. I've admitted this several times over the last 16 years posting here. So he wouldn't be my 1.1 as it stands right now :shrug:
Sorry...for a minute there I lost myself

D.K. METCALF WR, MISSISSIPPI REBELS

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah "wouldn’t be surprised if only 1 WR went in the 1st round."

Jeremiah also said he "feels good" about projecting Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown as a 1st Round pick, so if we play dot connector that means Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf (6'3/228) falling to the 2nd Round wouldn't be surprising to the plugged-in draft analyst. Perhaps this is a sign that the NFL isn't as high on Metcalf as some of the media draft analysts, but it would be a major surprise if he fell out of the top 40 picks with his rare size-speed combination.

SOURCE: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Apr 10, 2019, 9:43 AM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller pass along that "[m]any (scouts) believe [Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf is] a second-round player."

Metcalf (6'3/228) took the world by storm with his 40-yard dash at the combine, but evaluators are looking beyond the razzle dazzle of that run, toward aspects of his game such as his agility and his history of injuries. While Miller's nugget is intriguing -- Metcalf has widely been viewed as a first-round player in the draft media -- the analyst writes in the same breath that "general managers can get excited by traits and reach for rare athleticism or speed." The analyst forwards the Bills and Packers as two teams that could overextend their efforts to reach for Metcalf on Day 1

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller pass along that "[m]any (scouts) believe [Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf is] a second-round player."

Metcalf (6'3/228) took the world by storm with his 40-yard dash at the combine, but evaluators are looking beyond the razzle dazzle of that run, toward aspects of his game such as his agility and his history of injuries. While Miller's nugget is intriguing -- Metcalf has widely been viewed as a first-round player in the draft media -- the analyst writes in the same breath that "general managers can get excited by traits and reach for rare athleticism or speed." The analyst forwards the Bills and Packers as two teams that could overextend their efforts to reach for Metcalf on Day 1
IMO GB is a team who could use Mefcalf without needing him to play to his weaknesses. What I mean is, they have at least 1 talented wr who can run routes well, but what they lack is a guy who can take the top off the defense. Have been lacking that since after Jordy Nelson tore his ACL. Plus the volume would be there and the qb play... I'd like that spot a lot for him. Better than Oakland, Buffalo, etc. GB would finally have its "Randy Moss"

Reminds me a lot of Greg Little.

great measurable’s but bad production.

risky pick for nfl round 1.
Greg Little's issues were between the ears. He was dumb as a rock and know we know he probably never took a real class at UNC (sham classes) 

I noticed today that Metcalf has the highest overall rating of any prospect ever on ZWKs spreadsheet. 
That's true. Emanuel Hall, Hakeem Butler, and A.J. Brown also rate among the top 15 receiving prospects since 2006 by my formula.

I'm not sure how much to trust my formula at the top. It does seem notable that 6 of my formula's 7 favorite prospects were top 10 picks in the NFL draft (Mike Evans, Vernon Davis, Calvin Johnson, Sammy Watkins, Amari Cooper, Justin Blackmon - a strong group on the whole, especially if you forgive it for failing to predict foot injuries and alcohol problems). But it also seems notable that its favorite prospects who did not get drafted in the top 10 haven't exactly dominated the NFL (Stephen Hill, Brandin Cooks, Robert Meachem, DeVante Parker, Leonte Carroo, Sammie Coates, etc.).

One issue which I haven't gotten around to fixing is that I think it's a mistake to fully pro-rate the stats of guys who miss games. As a result my formula overrates guys like Metcalf, Hall, Parker, and Carroo. (They'd still rate highly even after fixing this, but not as highly.)

Pro Football Focus ranks Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf as the No. 1 wide receiver prospect in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Metcalf (6'3"/228) earns PFF's top spot despite an average 71.9 receiving grade last season largely because of his "physicality and freak athleticism." Pro Football Focus still calls Metcalf a boom-or-bust prospect, but his explosion at the line of scrimmage makes him a worthwhile investment. Metcalf earns the high praise on go routes, back shoulder fades, and end-zone fades, so he's not a traditional WR1 option but that won't prevent him from being a first-rounder in two weeks.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Apr 13, 2019, 6:21 PM

D.K. METCALF WR, MISSISSIPPI REBELS

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein isn't expecting a wide receiver to be drafted within the first 20 overall picks.

Metcalf (6'3/228) is the odds on favorite to be the first wide receiver taken, but that may not happen until the 20s. There are a few teams in the mix before 20th overall (BUF, GB, WAS, TEN, NYG), but these defensive line and offensive tackle classes may push Metcalf and Marquise Brown out of the teens. Whoever drafts Metcalf is getting an explosive and strong straight-line player with tons of upside, but there are questions surrounding his ability to run a full route tree.

SOURCE: Lance Zierlein on Twitter

Apr 22, 2019, 3:31 PM

An anonymous scout told Bob McGinn of Bob McGinn Football that he believes that Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf is a "media creation."

The full quote: "I think he is a media creation, a combine creation," said one scout. "He’s got the physical talent but I’m not buying that." Metcalf, of course, lit up the combine -- at least until the quickness testing -- and is expected to be one of the first wideouts to come off the board because of his size (6'3/228) and speed. A second scout was much kinder to Metcalf; noting that he was a "freak" that could take the lid off a defense, and noting that he is more advanced than Josh Gordon was coming out of Baylor. There are so many polarizing opinions on Metcalf, but we figure one team is going to love him enough to take him near the top-half of the first round.

SOURCE: Bob McGinn Football

Apr 23, 2019, 4:13 PM

Seahawks selected Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf with the No. 64 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Seattle gave up the 77th and 118th picks to move up. Metcalf (6’3/228) turned pro as a redshirt sophomore despite undergoing cervical neck surgery after seven games and managing a career 67/1,228/14 (18.3 YPR) receiving line across only 19 starts. 100% at the Combine, Metcalf went berserk with a 4.33 forty, 40 ½-inch vertical, and 11-foot-2 broad jump. His 1.48 ten-yard split was the fastest of all players in Indy. A massive individual with left tackle arms (34 7/8"), Metcalf’s drawbacks are inconsistent hands, a route tree that consisted of only "goes" and screens, and tight hips that show up in his short-shuttle (4.50) and three-cone (7.38) times. Immensely gifted but raw, Metcalf should make an early deep-threat impact but has work to do to maximize his No. 1 wideout potential. Even if he never becomes a high-volume target, however, his ability down the field should make him a value pick at the end of the second round.

Apr 26, 2019, 7:34 PM

That’s very bold
Well, I'd say I'm between him and Harry. If I was at 1.2 deciding between Harry and Metcalf I'd probably take Harry as he was predraft ranked above Metcalf and IMO a safer pick. I just think Metcalf has more immediate potential and a chance to be wr1 in this class

I think considering his landing spot, and AN Browns bad one, he moves up

Well, I'd say I'm between him and Harry. If I was at 1.2 deciding between Harry and Metcalf I'd probably take Harry as he was predraft ranked above Metcalf and IMO a safer pick. I just think Metcalf has more immediate potential and a chance to be wr1 in this class

I think considering his landing spot, and AN Browns bad one, he moves up
I get it, he will be up high up on lots of draft boards. While it could change, Seattle isn’t a pass friendly offense.

I get it, he will be up high up on lots of draft boards. While it could change, Seattle isn’t a pass friendly offense.
true. I think, for me, what it comes down to is I'm more excited about Mefcalf taking Baldwins targets than I am Harry taking Gronks. I also like the consistency of knowing who the qb throwing to my wr will be. 

true. I think, for me, what it comes down to is I'm more excited about Mefcalf taking Baldwins targets than I am Harry taking Gronks. I also like the consistency of knowing who the qb throwing to my wr will be. 
Metcalf isn’t taking Baldwin’s slot role though. They are polar opposite players. As for Harry, NE is probably losing 200+ targets between Gronk, Patterson, Hogan and probably Gordon. Then there’s also the fact that Edelman will be 33 and has an injury history. 

Metcalf isn’t taking Baldwin’s slot role though. They are polar opposite players. As for Harry, NE is probably losing 200+ targets between Gronk, Patterson, Hogan and probably Gordon. Then there’s also the fact that Edelman will be 33 and has an injury history. 
Good points

Maybe. 

Struggling to sort the WRs that have been taken thus far. Seems like a massive cluster of decent upside without any definitive lead dog.
It really does. Most of these WRs landed in good spots (save Brown and Brown) and really the RBs did too other than Henderson. 

Hardman and Campbell are the two who, to me, jump up a lot based on their landing spot. 

But an athletic guy like this hooked up with the best scrambler in the game...? 

So you guys putting Metcalf back in your top 3 in rookie drafts as of right now? 
I'm back and forth. If my draft is today, yes I take Metcalf 1.3. I really like Hardman but no one else does so maybe I can get him later.

There was an unsubstantiated rumor that Metcalf fell because his growth "isnt natural." I dont buy it... if that was the case Metcalf would be eating breakfast with Butler this morning instead of Russell Wilson. 

He's the #1 receiving prospect by a mile, right? I like Marquise Brown but his upside is Desean Jackson. Gonna be feast and famine with that guy, especially as a rookie. But Metcalf catching passes from Russell Wilson, potentially usurping 100% of Doug Baldwin's snaps and targets?

Oh brother, brother. Yes, please.

with Doug Baldwin retiring, I think DK Metcalf moved significantly up my charts to wr1
+1

Lockett is an awesome WR. He and DK compliment each other and will both eat. Being attached to an elite QB and high character group bodes well for Metcalf's future. 

Edit - Hopefully SEA can get him to cut this bodybuilding BS and have him work on ways to become a better WR, not athlete. 

He's the #1 receiving prospect by a mile, right? I like Marquise Brown but his upside is Desean Jackson. Gonna be feast and famine with that guy, especially as a rookie. But Metcalf catching passes from Russell Wilson, potentially usurping 100% of Doug Baldwin's snaps and targets?

Oh brother, brother. Yes, please.
No way. He’s got a ton of risk and he can’t play the role Baldwin did. DK is a fit for the David Moore/Paul Richardson role.

No way. He’s got a ton of risk and he can’t play the role Baldwin did. DK is a fit for the David Moore/Paul Richardson role.
I'd agree with his ranking, but not the logic in getting there.

I think Metcalf is my WR1 in this class. He won't get Baldwin's role, but I think Seattle's offense is going to look a lot different this year. Metcalf won't be in a Richardson/Moore role, he'll be in a role created just for him and his skills. I expect it to be a 100+ target role this season. Baldwin's role likely won't exist in the offense anymore. 

Seattle kinda lucked into a playoff spot last year, mostly because Minnesota and Carolina both collapsed down the stretch. They don't have the defense to continue to win games the way they did last season, and I think they are aware of that. Especially with Russell Wilson's new NFL record contract, I think he has a career high in pass attempts and Metcalf is a downfield weapon unlike anything Wilson has ever had. 

If I were feeling particularly gutsy, or was in good shape at RB, I'd argue Metcalf 1.1.

I think Metcalf is my WR1 in this class. He won't get Baldwin's role, but I think Seattle's offense is going to look a lot different this year. Metcalf won't be in a Richardson/Moore role, he'll be in a role created just for him and his skills. I expect it to be a 100+ target role this season. Baldwin's role likely won't exist in the offense anymore. 

Seattle kinda lucked into a playoff spot last year, mostly because Minnesota and Carolina both collapsed down the stretch. They don't have the defense to continue to win games the way they did last season, and I think they are aware of that. Especially with Russell Wilson's new NFL record contract, I think he has a career high in pass attempts and Metcalf is a downfield weapon unlike anything Wilson has ever had. 

If I were feeling particularly gutsy, or was in good shape at RB, I'd argue Metcalf 1.1.
It is still going to be a Brian Schottenheimer offense, so I would temper expectations they will be airing it out. Maybe a bit more than last year.  But Wilson is a long term top QB that is good to be attached to.  Still threw a career high in TDs last year.

I think DK’s ideal role is the Moore/Richardson role. Vertical routes, comebacks/curls and fades. That’s what DK does.

It is still going to be a Brian Schottenheimer offense, so I would temper expectations they will be airing it out. Maybe a bit more than last year.  But Wilson is a long term top QB that is good to be attached to.  Still threw a career high in TDs last year.
lol at basing who you draft on an Off coordinator. The league peels thru coordinators faster than 6th round draft picks. 

I think DK’s ideal role is the Moore/Richardson role. Vertical routes, comebacks/curls and fades. That’s what DK does.
Neither was super productive in that role, but they also didn't have DK's size.  A lot of upside to grow into IMO.

lol at basing who you draft on an Off coordinator. The league peels thru coordinators faster than 6th round draft picks. 
Do you think Pete Carroll and their GM will  be around for a few years? If so, then it’s very likely Seattle is a team that plays slow and focuses on the run because that’s how they have done it every season. 

I don’t think it matters much becaus DK is nevr likely to be a 130 target WR. He’s more big play/TD dependent and this is a good spot for that.

Users who are viewing this thread