Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
ty247

DK Metcalf - WR - Ole Miss --- Declares for the NFL draft

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Leg day.

Stick a needle in your leg and then bench press more day you mean? That’s everyday! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 games this year.. maybe....

Out of the league in 5 years, Max. Body won’t hold up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cobbler1 said:

Wait is running around with an upper body looking like it weighs as much as my fridge not good for your knees?

David Boston 2.0

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

here we go where?

He is not just sitting out with an injury, his tissue is breaking down to the point where it needs surgical intervention. 

The question from Day 1 was his injury history. So here we go...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, [icon] said:

12 games this year.. maybe....

Out of the league in 5 years, Max. Body won’t hold up. 

I agree completely

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being would too tight is a problem. I hope he figures that out. I drafted him. Boston would have had a great career but he lost his mind and roided himself out of the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Raptors409 said:

Fine by me. If you needed this guy Week 1, you weren't winning anything this year anyway.

My long term outlook for him takes the bigger hit here.

Guy with injury concerns—neck injury at that.  Needs knee surgery before getting through his first pre-season. 

I’m moving him down a decent bit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jm192 said:

My long term outlook for him takes the bigger hit here.

Guy with injury concerns—neck injury at that.  Needs knee surgery before getting through his first pre-season. 

I’m moving him down a decent bit.

Last time I bumped down a guy for missing preseason, I missed out on Odell Beckham Jr and the free championship he gave everyone back in 2014. I think your logic is right here, I'm just going to be stubborn like an elephant on this one because I really like his talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

He is not just sitting out with an injury, his tissue is breaking down to the point where it needs surgical intervention. 

The question from Day 1 was his injury history. So here we go...

Yep. 

The big problem with these workout/needle warriors is when they begin to break down, they turn to needles again to try to recover quickly... then the suspensions set in and it’s over. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Drafted him at 1.12 in ONE rookie draft in a dynasty league.  Right now I'm glad that's all the stock I have.

Edited by JohnnyU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [icon] said:

Yep. 

The big problem with these workout/needle warriors is when they begin to break down, they turn to needles again to try to recover quickly... then the suspensions set in and it’s over. 

See, if he was getting chemical help I'd be worried but at least it would explain it. Let's pretend we are in bizarro world and he hasnt used the needle, I'm still extremely concerned that he is in that good of shape and his connective tissues still cant absorb the forces on the body. 

Roiders at least have an excuse/explanation for their tissues being brittle... it's a side effect of roids. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

One of the concerns I had about Metcalf is his extremely low body fat %. Just from observation over the years, guys with really low BF have a tendency to get injured more.

I don't believe Metcalf has the reported 1.6% BF because he would likely have serious metabolic problems if that were the case, but he could very well be in the 3-5 range. That's equivalent to competition-ready pro bodybuilders & not something that's meant to be sustained.

The question is does Metcalf keep his BF % down by choice or is his metabolism such that it's difficult to gain weight? And as we know from other players, purposefully gaining weight, which almost always ends up being mostly water & fat, is rarely a good thing.

I don't want to overblow this, but staying healthy could possibly be a real problem for Metcalf.

 

 

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 10:44 AM, Dawg Pound 69 said:

Not to mention that Seattle's QB is highly accurate. And Buffalo's, not so much. Zay Jones isn't rosterable in redraft or dynasty.

Redraft : depends on roster sizes

Dynasty : absolutely rosterable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah why would a young, improving player who was a 2nd rd draft pick and a top 10 WR from week 13 on last year be draftable??  nothing to see here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that overreacting this time of the year is not advisable. But, one thing to monitor with rookies is whether they can stay on the field or not. Rookie WRs who are constantly dinged up in my experience find themselves getting passed on the depth chart unless they are a truly elite player and DK Metcalf is a guy who never had one elite season in college. If you don't move him down your rankings you are ignoring reality. How far to move him is arguable.  If I were drafting today I wouldn't take him in the first round rookie draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per John Boyle: 

Pete Carrol said DK Metcalf's surgery revealed "minimal findings," and said they'll take things week to week.  "We don't have any concern he won't get back soon"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My knowledge of medicine is minimal, but after any kind of knee surgery - even minor - I find it hard to believe that he'll be ready by week 1. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too worried about it. We won't even remember this whole knee thing when he's catching 50 yard TDs in week 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jm192 said:

Per John Boyle: 

Pete Carrol said DK Metcalf's surgery revealed "minimal findings," and said they'll take things week to week.  "We don't have any concern he won't get back soon"

This is a good thing? 

Guy has trouble with his knee (judging by the atrophy below I'd say he has had some decent swelling in that knee inhibiting the quads). But that's speculation so let's just say its safe to assume hes had pain in his knee. Pain that leads to surgery. 

Surgery finds nothing. So why the pain and/or swelling? I can offer a lot of reasons why, but that would be a lot to type and I'm sure some would doubt the respected and proven science behind it. 

Nevertheless, I'd rather they find something on a surgery than not. It at least explains the symptoms as a structural problem. 

Since the structure is fine it's likely mechanical and/or neurobiopsychosocial. 

 

1 hour ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Geez... his knee looks like mine after I had a pretty extensive knee surgery and 6 weeks of non weight bearing with it locked straight. That's a lot of atrophy. A guy with that much upper body mass should not be skipping leg days. Those triangle shaped guys crack me up. 

Edited by Dr. Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

This is a good thing? 

Guy has trouble with his knee (judging by the atrophy below I'd say he has had some decent swelling in that knee inhibiting the quads). But that's speculation so let's just say its safe to assume hes had pain in his knee. Pain that leads to surgery. 

Surgery finds nothing. So why the pain and/or swelling? I can offer a lot of reasons why, but that would be a lot to type and I'm sure some would doubt the respected and proven science behind it. 

Nevertheless, I'd rather they find something on a surgery than not. It at least explains the symptoms as a structural problem. 

Since the structure is fine it's likely mechanical and/or neurobiopsychosocial. 

 

Geez... his knee looks like mine after I had a pretty extensive knee surgery and 6 weeks of non weight bearing with it locked straight. That's a lot of atrophy. A guy with that much upper body mass should not be skipping leg days. Those triangle shaped guys crack me up. 

No, I was just passing along what was said.  I'm low on him at this point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said DK Metcalf (knee) will be "active and doing stuff" next week.

Per Carroll, Metcalf hasn't experienced any swelling since his surgery earlier this week. Metcalf should be able to resume some activities next week, though it's doubtful we'll see him back in time for Week 1 against Cincinnati. Metcalf's knee rehab along with David Moore's recent shoulder injury should allow Jaron Brown to begin the year as Seattle's No. 2 receiver.

SOURCE: Curtis Crabtree on Twitter

Aug 23, 2019, 3:42 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:37 PM, Dr. Dan said:

This is a good thing? 

Guy has trouble with his knee (judging by the atrophy below I'd say he has had some decent swelling in that knee inhibiting the quads). But that's speculation so let's just say its safe to assume hes had pain in his knee. Pain that leads to surgery. 

Surgery finds nothing. So why the pain and/or swelling? I can offer a lot of reasons why, but that would be a lot to type and I'm sure some would doubt the respected and proven science behind it. 

It was Pete Carroll that said it. :lmao:

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

It was Pete Carroll that said it. :lmao:

Ok then it makes perfect sense and I'm not surprised 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad I paid out the butt to trade two first rounders for an earlier first rounder to make sure I get this guy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Otis said:

I'm glad I paid out the butt to trade two first rounders for an earlier first rounder to make sure I get this guy.  

Too early to panic...but it stinks that he is starting out this way. The good news is he should be in line for starters minutes when he gets back and hopefully we can see what he can do after a pretty positive offseason. The training staff should have him lay-off upper body training for awhile and get under the squat rack a couple times a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Otis said:

I'm glad I paid out the butt to trade two first rounders for an earlier first rounder to make sure I get this guy.  

I wouldnt give up just yet but I would be less attached and more willing trade him if I owned him.

 

Sucks that you gave up so much, especially when you probably could have had JJAW later I'm sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

Andre Johnson 2.0

I was thinking T.O.2.0, but yours is good, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:56 PM, sooted72 said:

yeah why would a young, improving player who was a 2nd rd draft pick and a top 10 WR from week 13 on last year be draftable??  nothing to see here.

Yeah Zay Jones is really crushing it. When he's behind Duke Williams and is relegated to special teams play, think it's safe to dismiss your cherry-picked stats from a 5 week stretch at end of season as an indicator that he's on his way to stardom. He'll be playing in the Arena league soon enough.

 

https://twitter.com/SigmundBloom/status/1166032707866038278

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 1:00 PM, Grigs Allmoon said:

I was thinking T.O.2.0, but yours is good, too.

so, top 3 WR all-time?  i'd like to see him play a game first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zoonation said:

so, top 3 WR all-time?  i'd like to see him play a game first.

I pulled the Andre Johnson reacting to the David Boston. There's a lot of exaggeration going on around here, and sometimes you just get sucked into it. To be fair, he has a higher likelihood of becoming either extreme than most receivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FTR - the David Boston comment was in reference KotJ mentioning his upper body mass potentially leading to leg issues (don’t skip leg day bro). It spun out from there. 

Carry on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, cloppbeast said:

I pulled the Andre Johnson reacting to the David Boston. There's a lot of exaggeration going on around here, and sometimes you just get sucked into it. To be fair, he has a higher likelihood of becoming either extreme than most receivers.

At this point, David Boston comp would be favorable. Boston had three years with over 70 receptions and two years with more than 1000 yards.  One of those seasons was an All-Pro season. The wheels fell off because of injury and he never recovered at a fairly young age.

Metcalf didn't have even one season in college as good as any of those three seasons Boston had.

The odds are against Metcalf having three years that good.  The fact that Metcalf didn't put together even one stellar season in college and now is battling injuries as a rookie does not bode well.

Edited by az_prof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, az_prof said:

At this point, David Boston comp would be favorable. Boston had three years with over 70 receptions and two years with more than 1000 yards.  One of those seasons was an All-Pro season. The wheels fell off because of injury and he never recovered at a fairly young age.

Metcalf didn't have even one season in college as good as any of those three seasons Boston had.

The odds are against Metcalf having three years that good.  The fact that Metcalf didn't put together even one stellar season in college and now is battling injuries as a rookie does not bode well.

Just based on historical evidence, he is unlikely to have as much success as David Boston let alone T.O. Also unlikely Darwin Thompson is the next Maurice Jones-Drew. You could go into every day 2+ prospect's page and crap on them, you'd be right most of the time.

The injuries are overblown. The population of players who never deal with injuries during their careers consist of punters, kickers, and Brett Favre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

The Seahawks haven't ruled DK Metcalf (knee scope) out for Week 1.

Speaking Tuesday, coach Pete Carroll said Metcalf was "moving around this week," whatever that means. Carroll has been speaking sunshine on the situation since Metcalf went under the knife next week. Carroll is always (overly) optimistic, but it does appear Metcalf's scope was truly minor. The Seahawks have a desperate situation at wide receiver. Metcalf should see targets if he's active against the Bengals.

SOURCE: John Boyle on Twitter

Aug 27, 2019, 4:26 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Coach Pete Carroll told reporters Wednesday that DK Metcalf (knee scope) is still day to day.

Carroll said the Seahawks will "wait and see" if Metcalf will be able to suit up in Week 1 against the Bengals. Even if he's ultimately active, it's tough to imagine the second-round pick will play a ton of snaps during his debut. Look for the Seahawks to roll with Tyler Lockett and Jaron Brown in 2-WR sets with David Moore (shoulder) also sidelined.

RELATED: 

Jaron Brown

, David Moore

, Tyler Lockett

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter.

Aug 28, 2019, 3:50 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just selected him at 1.12 in dynasty ppr rookie draft. Concerns are he is too lean and needs to get his body fat to 3 or 4 %. He'll do it. This is the NFL. Pro sports physiologic science and nutrition is capable. Seahawks kmow what they are doing.

 

Steelers safety Trey Edmunds is also worrisomely lean with 2% body fat. Mo freaking out there. 

 

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/fat-chance-steelers-safety-edmunds-embracing-the-grind-073119

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jaron brown getting cut.  David Moore serious Shoulder injury.  This kid HAS to get major chances to start the season....RIGHT?  just scooped him up as an fa after the JAron brown news hit.  Dropped john Ross.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pghrob said:

I just selected him at 1.12 in dynasty ppr rookie draft.

Wow, he’s going way later than I would have imagined. I’ve got 1.4 and likely will take him there in our rookie draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, rickyg said:

Jaron brown getting cut.  David Moore serious Shoulder injury.  This kid HAS to get major chances to start the season....RIGHT?  just scooped him up as an fa after the JAron brown news hit.  Dropped john Ross.  

There's a lot of optimism and praise from the players here on DK.  During the Raiders game Tyler Lockett was being interviewed and asked "whick WRs have surprised you the most?" and he started by saying "Well, DK of course..."  

I would think that it seemed so obvious to him it almost wasn't worth mentioning was crazy.  The other name that came out right after was John Ursua, who local commentators have called "similar" to Doug Baldwin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Otis said:

Wow, he’s going way later than I would have imagined. I’ve got 1.4 and likely will take him there in our rookie draft. 

He went 1.4 in my recent rookie draft. I think 1.6 is about his average right now, so 1.12 was a steal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Grigs Allmoon said:

He went 1.4 in my recent rookie draft. I think 1.6 is about his average right now, so 1.12 was a steal.

It was surprising but comes with a caveat. Here's how the 1st rd  went. Frankly, I got lucky. Pick 7 essentially passed.  Wonder if a player should have been assigned rather than he be skipped. This dynasty league has been in effect for 15 years now and interest is waning a bit for some of us, and obviously team #7.

2019 Rookie Draft 

1) Shady Time - Josh Jacobs ,RB 
2) You Kapernick the Futrue - Kyler Murray, QB 
3) The Oracle - David Montgomery 
4) Wine Her, Dine Her, 49er - Dwayne Haskins, QB 
5) Aka Titans - Miles Sanders 
6) Midnight Express - Darrell Henderson 
7) Mad Dog - skipped after 5 days and no reply
😎 Fin Nasty- K'Neal Harry 
9) Drugs Don't Ruin Your Career, Drug Tests Do! - Hockenson 
10) The Corporation - Darwin Thomspon 
11) Warrior Nation - Devin Singletary 
12) Iron City - DK Metcalf 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 1:39 PM, Dawg Pound 69 said:

Yeah Zay Jones is really crushing it. When he's behind Duke Williams and is relegated to special teams play, think it's safe to dismiss your cherry-picked stats from a 5 week stretch at end of season as an indicator that he's on his way to stardom. He'll be playing in the Arena league soon enough.

 

https://twitter.com/SigmundBloom/status/1166032707866038278

nice strawman.  nobody claimed hes "on his way to stardom".  i was just responding to your quote that hes not rosterable in redraft or dynasty, which is pretty clearly wrong.

maybe he ends up being nothing.  heck, probably he ends up being nothing.  but hes a high draft pick entering his 3rd year in the league with a 2nd year rocket-armed QB who had some good production to close out last season.  probably not a player who should just be dismissed at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.