What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Justin Jackson, RB Detroit (1 Viewer)

Futz

Footballguy
Melvin Gordon just got banged up pretty good on a reverse play and Jackson seems to be assuming the Melvin role and has looked pretty good doing it so far. I've never looked at Ekeler as every down material so.....he may have just earned must add cuff status.

Chargers up 35-10 so I'd bet we get a long look at him here.

Draft Bio via NFL.com

Player Bio

One of the most successful high school running backs in Illinois history (6,531 yards, 85 touchdowns), Jackson has also made his way into the record books in his collegiate career. He started five of 12 games as a true freshman, but led the Wildcats in rushing each week, finishing with 1,187 yards and 10 touchdowns on 245 carries (22 catches, 201 yards, one touchdown receiving) to earn honorable mention All-Big Ten notice from league coaches. Jackson was a second-team All-Big Ten pick in 2015, racking up 1,418 yards and five scores on 312 carries (ranked third in the FBS), along with 21 catches and 162 yards as a receiver. Jackson's workload abated a bit in 2016, but he still carried the rock 226 times for 1,300 yards and 12 scores -- and caught 33 passes for 210 yards -- in a second-team all-conference junior season by coaches. He topped off the year with a 224-yard, three-score effort against Pitt in the Pinstripe Bowl where he showed off his quickness, vision, and efficient running style. The leading rusher in Northwestern history became the ninth player in NCAA history to have four years with 1,000 yards. He was a second-team All-Big Ten selection with 287 carries for 1,311 yards and 11 touchdowns rushing along with 44 catches for 276 receiving yards. Justin's older brother, Phil, was a running back at Northwest Missouri State from 2012-2016.

Last edited by a moderator:
He could definitely get some meaningful carries, however I think they like what they have in a back who can do it all. I’m not up to par on Jackson’s pass catching skills, but I know Ekeler’s are great.

Catching the ball is everything for SD backs. Idk if this is by design or by necessity. But both Gordon and Ekeler are FAR more valuable in PPRs than in regular scoring. If Jackson isn't much of a receiver, I wouldn't expect him to get much work.

I also don't think the ending of this game foreshadows how carries will he divided if Gordon misses time due to the score and the amount of time left. Jackson very well could lead the team in carries today.

I also don't think the ending of this game foreshadows how carries will he divided if Gordon misses time due to the score and the amount of time left. Jackson very well could lead the team in carries today.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anointing Jackson the heir apparent if Melvin misses any significant time :-)fingerscrossed:) I'm just saying that they took a pretty good look at him and produced a 7 for 57 stat line. That's going to earn a bit of trust and should be enough for a speculative add depending on the news by Tuesday. He has shown in college to be able to handle a workload and catch the ball out of the backfield.

The next 3 games line up for Rivers throwing 40+ times.  At Pittsburgh, home against the woeful Bengal secondary, at KC.  Not saying Jackson won't get some red zone looks but the running game won't be featured with Gordon out.

ShamrockPride said:
If there's anybody on these boards who can intelligently comment on this, it's @Just Win Baby. Thoughts?
  1. When Gordon did not play vs. TEN, Ekeler got 95% of the snaps. I expect he will dominate RB snaps in any game in which he is healthy and Gordon isn't. As he showed today, Ekeler is really good.
  2. Jackson looked good today, but:

It was 7 carries - small sample size
  3. Against an opponent that was #32 against the run entering the game (in yards and ypc)
  4. Starting when the opponent was down 35-10
  5. The team also gave carries to backup RB Newsome

[*]Jackson was a 7th round pick, who missed much of camp/preseason due to injury. It is pretty unlikely he is going to blow up in this situation.

1. When Gordon did not play vs. TEN, Ekeler got 95% of the snaps. I expect he will dominate RB snaps in any game in which he is healthy and Gordon isn't. As he showed today, Ekeler is really good.
  2. Jackson looked good today, but:

It was 7 carries - small sample size
  3. Against an opponent that was #32 against the run entering the game (in yards and ypc)
  4. Starting when the opponent was down 35-10
  5. The team also gave carries to backup RB Newsome

[*]Jackson was a 7th round pick, who missed much of camp/preseason due to injury. It is pretty unlikely he is going to blow up in this situation.
Fairly narrow minded. You continuing to say the same thing about Josh Adams, Gus Edwards, Philip Lindsay? Ekeler made an impact as a UDFA last year. Matt Breida, same deal. I fail to see any relevance at all with where he was drafted. 

Fairly narrow minded. You continuing to say the same thing about Josh Adams, Gus Edwards, Philip Lindsay? Ekeler made an impact as a UDFA last year. Matt Breida, same deal. I fail to see any relevance at all with where he was drafted. 
No, I'm not saying the same thing about Adams, et al., because they have shown more on the field. It will take more than 7 carries in garbage time against the worst run defense in the league for me to think Jackson deserves the same level of respect/expectation that those players do.

IMO if he was going to provide the kind of impact as Ekeler and Breida did last year, he would have forced his way onto the field before now, as they did.

I generally agree that draft position doesn't matter much at this point. However, it is potentially relevant in this scenario, where we are talking about a player who hasn't shown much before a fairly ideal game script scenario in a single game.

I provided my opinion, as a Chargers homer who follows the team closely. You are free to disagree, but I don't think I'm being narrow minded. :shrug:  

No, I'm not saying the same thing about Adams, et al., because they have shown more on the field. It will take more than 7 carries in garbage time against the worst run defense in the league for me to think Jackson deserves the same level of respect/expectation that those players do.

IMO if he was going to provide the kind of impact as Ekeler and Breida did last year, he would have forced his way onto the field before now, as they did.

I generally agree that draft position doesn't matter much at this point. However, it is potentially relevant in this scenario, where we are talking about a player who hasn't shown much before a fairly ideal game script scenario in a single game.

I provided my opinion, as a Chargers homer who follows the team closely. You are free to disagree, but I don't think I'm being narrow minded. :shrug:  
Hasn’t shown much? In his five career carries? I’m not crowning him with 7 career carries, I’m saying it’s a hell of an opportunity with the playoffs starting in two weeks. How about you don’t dismiss a player off of 5 career carries and draft position and we’ll be on the same page. And you are way incorrect about “forcing” his way onto the field. That doesn’t always happen. By your logic Josh Adams and Gus Edward have been held back by staffs that have each won a title. Do you question their competence? I don’t, but it proves that NFL coaches are prone to the fallacy that trust is earned and developed instead of trusting the inherent talent that is there. If you don’t think Jackson is talented so be it but let’s cut the BS about draft position and opportunity and failing in non existent chances behind one of the best starting/backup combo of RB’s in the league.

Hasn’t shown much? In his five career carries? I’m not crowning him with 7 career carries, I’m saying it’s a hell of an opportunity with the playoffs starting in two weeks. How about you don’t dismiss a player off of 5 career carries and draft position and we’ll be on the same page. And you are way incorrect about “forcing” his way onto the field. That doesn’t always happen. By your logic Josh Adams and Gus Edward have been held back by staffs that have each won a title. Do you question their competence? I don’t, but it proves that NFL coaches are prone to the fallacy that trust is earned and developed instead of trusting the inherent talent that is there. If you don’t think Jackson is talented so be it but let’s cut the BS about draft position and opportunity and failing in non existent chances behind one of the best starting/backup combo of RB’s in the league.
Hasn't shown much in camp, preseason, and season to date. Not just his limited usage in games to date.

No, I don't think he is particularly talented for a NFL RB. I think he is a JAG.

As I said, you are free to disagree. By all means, feel free to waste a roster spot on him.  We will see soon enough which of us is correct.

I own Ekeler but now very interested in Jackson. Need to find out if Gordon is out for the rest of the fantasy season. Anyone heard?

I'm higher on Jackson as a player than JWB, but the point remains that we've already seen this scenario and Ekeler played 95% of the snaps. So I'm just not seeing the redraft appeal. 

The team also gave carries to backup RB Newsome
Newsome looked decent this preseason too, particularly on his inside runs. I'm not saying all-pro or anything like that, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a few carries while Gordon is out.

I think it's a fairly safe bet that Ekeler will get most of the receptions out of the backfield while Gordon is out.

I completely realize that Ekeler is a better player and would obviously be in line for the touches but I think what most people are discounting is what I think San Diego must be thinking at this point. We may have just made a big mistake playing our best player who was already banged up a bit too much in a game well in hand. Let's play things a bit more conservatively with the slightlier built Ekeler and see what we have with Jackson as well.

I see a 50/50 split if Jackson shows like he did last game which gives both RBs good value.

I completely realize that Ekeler is a better player and would obviously be in line for the touches but I think what most people are discounting is what I think San Diego must be thinking at this point. We may have just made a big mistake playing our best player who was already banged up a bit too much in a game well in hand. Let's play things a bit more conservatively with the slightlier built Ekeler and see what we have with Jackson as well.

I see a 50/50 split if Jackson shows like he did last game which gives both RBs good value.
They can’t afford to do anything less than put forth their best effort to win every game at this point. Playing Ekeler on most snaps represents best effort.

Also, Ekeler is not slightly built and proved in college he can handle a heavy workload. 

Jackson would have to be stellar to gain a 50% split, especially since Newsome is also likely to get touches. 

After reading/watching Waldman's draft report I picked him up in redraft.    good size speed... caught enough balls to be effective.  

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2018/11/26/rb-justin-jackson-chargers-matt-waldmans-rsp-sample-pre-draft-report/

I think it'll be closer to an even split so I'm playing the hot hand game and hedging bets and even if he's on my bench I'd rather him on my roster than someone else's   
I think Ekeler will get about 70% of the touches but I do think Jackson will possibly be relevant. Nice report there.

Also, Ekeler is not slightly built and proved in college he can handle a heavy workload. 
I said "slightlier" built in relation to Melvin's 6'  1" 215.

Also I know Ekeler is listed at 5'10" 200 but that doesn't pass the eyeball test to me.

I said "slighlier" built in relation to Melvin's 6'  1" 215.

Also I know Ekeler is listed at 5'10" 200 but that doesn't pass the eyeball test to me.
I know what you posted. I completely disagree with any notion that his build is an issue in regard to how many touches he can productively support. 

BTW, Waldman has some great analysis on Jackson's carries this past week in his top 10 article. Jackson absolutely passed the eyeball test and should be in line for 30-40% of the work. I'm looking forward to the upcoming game in Pitt. 

I know what you posted. I completely disagree with any notion that his build is an issue in regard to how many touches he can productively support. 
That's fine. My main point though was suggesting how I feel SD may approach this scenario now since they unnecessarily risked MG. They may not do the normal 70/30 80/20 cut since they are much thinner at the position and turning to a smaller feature back.

That's fine. My main point though was suggesting how I feel SD may approach this scenario now since they unnecessarily risked MG. They may not do the normal 70/30 80/20 cut since they are much thinner at the position and turning to a smaller feature back.
I get it. And my main response is that the Chargers have to focus on winning. If they think giving Jackson a significant role in a  split with Ekeler and Newsome maximizes their chance of winning, I’m sure they will do that, I just don’t expect that is what they think. 

Hasn't shown much in camp, preseason, and season to date. Not just his limited usage in games to date.

No, I don't think he is particularly talented for a NFL RB. I think he is a JAG.

As I said, you are free to disagree. By all means, feel free to waste a roster spot on him.  We will see soon enough which of us is correct.
Thanks. Good example of sharing a thought and not being dragged down into a slap fight. Say what you think, why you think it and then chips will fall where they do. Others may disagree. That's fantasy football. Good job. 

He looked very good tonight.  He was definitely their best rb

Jackson did look good, but let’s see if Gordon returns next week. Although I see Gordon being back against KC/week 15. Week 14 feels too soon to me. 

Might have to start this guy next week vs cincy now that i lost conner. Yikes
I’m in the same boat, but you couldn’t ask for a better matchup. I doubt Gordon is back before week 16, so maybe we can play this kid the next two games. The win takes pressure off the Chargers having to rush Melvin back. 

This is why you can’t say 5 carries early in the season and an injured run through preseason is an “opportunity”. RB’s are terribly hard to judge and seem to be appreciably more difficult for coaches to (see: McCarthy, Mike). His draft pedigree has zero to do with talent. Given his collegiate production and athletic measurables, it is zero surprise he did well last night.

With a grade 2 sprain, you’re lucky if Gordon plays in week 16. 
The timetable which was initially put out there was two weeks, which seems about right.  I would not be surprised to see Gordon return to practice as early as this week and play next Sunday against the Bengals.  Jackson's emergence could allow the Chargers time to ease Gordon back into a full workload, but I suspect Gordon will return, at least in a limited capacity, no later than Week 15 for the Thursday night showdown at the Chiefs.  The Chargers are in the midst of a title race, and Gordon is a key cog in the offense; they are not likely to keep Gordon off the field longer than necessary.  

Edit to add: Jackson is a must own in all formats down the stretch, no doubt.  

The timetable which was initially put out there was two weeks, which seems about right.  I would not be surprised to see Gordon return to practice as early as this week and play next Sunday against the Bengals.  Jackson's emergence could allow the Chargers time to ease Gordon back into a full workload, but I suspect Gordon will return, at least in a limited capacity, no later than Week 15 for the Thursday night showdown at the Chiefs.  The Chargers are in the midst of a title race, and Gordon is a key cog in the offense; they are not likely to keep Gordon off the field longer than necessary.  

Edit to add: Jackson is a must own in all formats down the stretch, no doubt.  
With a grade 2 sprain, a terrible opponent at home, and the risk of re-injury, there is a 0.0 chance he plays this week, regardless if he gets in some limited work in practice. Week 15 is reasonable, but even that is no lock. They hit pay dirt in Jackson and with Gordon and Ekeler FA's after next year, they may have something in this kid. 

Definitely taking advantage of his chances.  Ekler is looking like JAG here.  
Ekeler had a start earlier this season and he looked liked JAG then too to me. Perhaps he throttles it down a bit when he knows he's the guy. He sure looks great in limited spurts though otherwise and maybe that's just what he's tailored for.

Users who are viewing this thread