Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Interseptopus

AJ Brown - WR Titans

Really liking the way this kid looks.

And a nice matchup coming this weekend at home vs. high scoring, but nom-defending Tampa.

• Like 2

Forced to start him this week with Cooper on a bye and Theilen and D Jax hurt.  Hoping for a nice day.

3 hours ago, Shawnky said:

Forced to start him this week with Cooper on a bye and Theilen and D Jax hurt.  Hoping for a nice day.

I'm not forced to start him; I'm willfully starting him. 😎

Passes the eyeball test and Tanny seems to be huge upgrade for both him and CD. We've already seen the upside, I'll roll dice with that at second flex. Plus he's fun to watch. 

Tannehill definitely an upgrade for the passing game. Seems like it's about 50/50 on WR 1 A/B with A.J. Brown and Corey Davis. Juicy match up with TB. Let's see if that materializes. Tennessee has a solid defense too. TEN - 2 1/2 over and under at 45 1/2. Perhaps 3 TD's for TEN. Give Henry one and two passing scores.

A.J. Brown caught 4-of-7 targets for 81 yards in the Titans' Week 9 loss to the Panthers.

One of Brown's missed connections was a play where he got called for offensive pass interference before letting the ball bounce off his hands for an interception. Not his finest moment, though the play-making rookie has now reached 60 yards in two of his past three games, and found the end zone in the third. He is displaying some WR3 juice with No. 2 QB Ryan Tannehill. He has an exploitable Week 10 matchup in the Chiefs.

Nov 3, 2019, 5:51 PM ET

Brown and Titans warned before the game about his propensity to get rough after the snap.

I've watched so many failed talented WRs waste their time just after the snap. This is so good.

Building a reputation as a tough WR more n more each week.

Watch Davis play patty cake. The contrast is so vast

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bri said:

Brown and Titans warned before the game about his propensity to get rough after the snap.

I've watched so many failed talented WRs waste their time just after the snap. This is so good.

I have to stream Tannehill this week.  Long story short, because of byes, I have to pick up a long shot WR in a league where about 55  WRs are out of play. I snagged AJ Brown, and decided against Corey Davis. (Both were available)

If what you are saying is correct, then not only did I make the correct choice, but its the little things I've seen going well, as well as you.  Its good that its not just me that sees some promise here with AJ Brown.

TZM

11 hours ago, Bri said:

Is it your sense that Davis is still commanding the most attention from opposing coverage?

15 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

Is it your sense that Davis is still commanding the most attention from opposing coverage?

It's week to week. They seem ready to roll coverage if anyone does well. Brown is strong or plays strong.

Brown is the #1. He has several plays where you can tell he's the first read. He needs to get them all. Davis still has the lion's share, he just doesn't get open. Brown is getting stared at now and if he's got any room, he's the one getting the pass. 

Humphries and Sharpe look ready to sub in for Davis and Raymond looks ready to come in for Humphries. 

The Titans tight ends get open regularly and it looks like defenses allow it too. There are not a whole lot of passes to the WRs.

Brown has oh so evidently grown as the season wears on and it's been great to watch. I bet he has a great game in him this year but is ready to be a stud next year.  He's still special where it doesn't matter who is covering him as far as affecting his game. He's taught well, technique will beat anyone, he seems to just be figuring out when to use this technique versus that one. He's everything you want- talks of anything you want to hear and works out hard. He just needs time.

• Thanks 1

Anyone else see some Boldin in this kid?

• Like 1

Corey Davis did not practice again today, AJ brown could see more targets go his way if Davis is out, especially playing catchup against KC with Mahomes under center.

31 minutes ago, ahartig said:

Corey Davis did not practice again today, AJ brown could see more targets go his way if Davis is out, especially playing catchup against KC with Mahomes under center.

I have him on my bench and it will be very tempting to start him if Corey Davis is out. Currently have Marquis Brown in there.

With Chark on a bye this week I’m firing up AJ into my lineup for the first time this year.  Fingers crossed.  Very much liking what I’m seeing from this guy. 

12 hours ago, ahartig said:

Dudes so damn big and strong. Nice compilation of his highlights here:

https://youtu.be/DFaD-DFWDLQ

It's like every receiver in the league either goes down or tries to get away when they catch it, but he...he turns and wants to get violent by putting his head down or pushing someone.

See all the pushing in those clips? On the DBs, on him, so much PI but I'm grateful it's not called and they let him play.

Davis seems unaware of contact and how to use and all this unless he has a drop then maybe he's angry and pushes more. 

There is a really big difference between them and the feel of the play. It's like one is fighting while the other is trying to survive while getting bumped all the time. I used to say run better routes and this N that, but all this year I've noticed DBs bump WRs when they plant. Edelman and Fitz have this brush move with their hands, a lot of tight ends use their shoulder/bicep to bump back. Is it wrong? Probably but with all the rules to protect QBs and WRs, it's not surprising the DBs try to get away with all this bumping. There's gonna be a game or a week or somesuch that the refs start calling it and the league will change. We'll all be grumpy with so many PIs but ya know, Davis might be good then. For now though, he's gotta get some tricks from Rob Moore, steal Fitz's or do something because just running a route and banking on the refs help is not working. The CBs get arrogant and start bumping him at the line and faaa there's like six or seven times per game where he can't get five yards past the LOS. 

I watched tiny Khalif Raymond push a CB every other play he was in on last week. Ya gonna bump into me at the line, I'll bump into you. He's 5-9 and 170 pounds. He deals, Davis has to

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ahartig said:

Davis doubtful. Here we go. AJ breakout game coming up. 

Or he gets doubled the whole game 

• Like 1

It was a lot better for Brown with Davis getting the number 1 corner.  Maybe Tannehill will feed him. 

Brown is a monster out there.  He's really fun to watch and he does not look like a rookie. 

Sometimes when he pops on the screen for a second you think "hey... what is Lavar Arrington doing on the field?" 

Edited by kittenmittens
Click the link if you don't get the Arrington connection

On 11/5/2019 at 6:57 AM, Bri said:

Its why I loved JuJu after that CIncy game where Burfict cheapshotted AB. Next couple of plays JuJu went after VB and a few other guys. Was it a little dirty? Yeah but it reminded me a bit of a Hines Ward showing the defense you can't push me a around and get away with it. Buildup the rep as a tough cat out there and some guys it will get into their head before games and you pounce on that 

On 11/8/2019 at 7:50 PM, Wrigley said:

Or he gets doubled the whole game 

Not worried about the Chiefs CBs. The Titans have a bad issue of these long routes and the QB needing all day for them to finish. That's my concern here.  I think the Chiefs win and all, but the Titans should be able to move the ball

• Like 1

A.J. Brown impressed with four catches for 135 yards and a touchdown on five targets Sunday in the Titans’ Week 12 victory over Jacksonville.

Brown bettered his previous high-water mark of 100 yards, which he accomplished in his NFL debut at Cleveland back in Week 1. The 22-year-old was off to the races in the third quarter, breaking free for a career-long 65 yard touchdown on a routine crossing pattern from Ryan Tannehill. He added another 36-yard catch for good measure, further cementing his status as the Titans' preferred downfield stretch. Brown has drawn flattering comparisons to Anquan Boldin and Dez Bryant due to his impressive size (6'1"/226), but he's faster than either of them ever were. Consistent volume remains an obstacle for the rookie, though obviously he's made the most of his limited opportunity. We'll see what he does for an encore next week at Indianapolis.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 1

His thread has been the quietest of anyone since the combine.  Nobody pays attention to him that much and I love it.  Keep thinking he's underrated people, don't let hype elevate his value, cause I can't wait to steal him in the 7th round next year.  

The regular passing attack is still not in Smith's offense. The WRs either hit a homerun or nothing because they have to run these super long routes that take too much time.

He called the best game I've seen by a Titans OC since Dinger. It was fantastic. The Jags DL was consistently beating the Titans the previous game so he called these plays where the DL were allowed in so Tanny would throw a screen and the linemen were there to block for it, so much play action, rollouts, and...it was great. 

There was very little to the TE despite three having performed well for the Titans this year and him being a former TE coach. Lewis was used in two minutes and third and long. No pretending he's a total back like they've been doing. I had Jonnu for FF and while I hated his production, he was phenomenal blocking and Henry needs to include him in some gift giving for the OL. 

Since the second half of the Chiefs, with his back against the wall, Smith has opened up. There's a maturity that's obvious. 

Tannehill looks better than ever running a Mariota offense. One scout was pointing out how Brown recognized the run and extended his route twice to allow Tanney to run while he took defenders with him.  After the play, Tanney is pointing at Brown like thank you and...these two are definitely syncing up and developing. It's a darn shame Mariota wasn't allowed to run or roll as much and was the QB during the learning process .... this offense looks so much better.

Davis has to sit some. There's a painfully obvious point that they're not admitting- He's not getting it done.  Humphries is leading the team in receiving(or did before this game) with just a fraction of his snaps. If they would just sit Davis, Tajae and Humphries would play that WR spot as needed and then before the following game they'd be like "we gotta get Davis involved" and finally the WRs would be normal. They need short and intermediate routes and there's gotta be something to stir it up. Brown has no help and made huge plays against a bad backup safety and a good corner. It's too much to ask from a rook. Get a normal passing game going. They are bottom three in the league in 3rd and 7-10, all four and that's pathetic. The numbers are awful too like four first downs two first down etc. The awesome calling of the game aside, they gotta be able to do the regular passing or there's no way they make the playoffs. 

This team is ripe to be ripped apart and it's one of the more talented Titans teams in 20 years. There are many free agents already and the coach was hired to take them further than one win in the playoffs. There's a lot at stake here for the Titans and they gotta get the regular passing game going to get it done. 

Even in a conservative offense, do we see AJ Brown as a potential stretch drive savior in fantasy?. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a WR with thus body type be such a deep threat with his YAC ability.

I don’t know why they wouldn’t lean more on the best weapon in there offense behind a Henry. 

2 minutes ago, rawdog said:

Even in a conservative offense, do we see AJ Brown as a potential stretch drive savior in fantasy?. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a WR with thus body type be such a deep threat with his YAC ability.

I don’t know why they wouldn’t lean more on the best weapon in there offense behind a Henry. 

Probably because it's a run heavy O.   That doesn't mean Brown isn't going to get more targets moving forward, but this O is built around Henry.   

They are getting hot do not drop Brown.  Take advantage of this situation that is overly underrated.  Tannehill entered mid year and he’s reaching full potential.  Plus matchups first two playoff weeks @ Oak, vs Hou.  Tenn as a whole getting hot.   Offense is indeed built to run but the base design is run/slant routes.  And that’s what Brown does though he also has great jump ball skill set in the redzone.  Excited to see what happens leading into playoffs.

Just now, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

He's my Julio Jones replacement this wee after just getting him off the wire.

Same here although I drafted him knowing that I:

a) loved the talent
b) hated the opportunity

Let's see if that draft day vision pays off..

A.J. Brown compiled three catches for 45 yards on four targets Sunday in the Titans’ Week 13 win over Indianapolis.

Brown followed up a career-best Week 12 (4-135-1 on five targets) with a relatively quiet performance in Indy, though he still paced the Titans in receiving yards with 45. His lone incompletion was a controversial one as the Colts challenged the ruling on the field, believing Brown fumbled on the play (the incomplete pass was upheld on review). The second-round Ole Miss alum has already risen to the top of the Titans' receiving food chain, though consistent targets have been hard to come by in Tennessee's run-first offense. His next chance to do damage will come at Oakland in Week 14.

Edited by The Frankman

A.J. Brown (calf) practiced Friday.

Brown left Thursday's practice with a calf injury, but he was back on the field this morning with a compression sleeve on his leg. The rookie should be all set for Week 14 against the Raiders. Brown is a low-volume flex play in that friendly matchup. It's worth noting that Titans slot WR Adam Humphries was unable to practice Friday.

SOURCE: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Dec 6, 2019, 1:15 PM ET

This is so exciting for me. The number of flop WRs I've had to watch over the years makes this oh so sweet

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/6/2019 at 2:28 PM, steelwind said:

Full participation today and not on injury report.

Would you start him over Snell?

Just now, JohnnyU said:

Would you start him over Snell?

That's my situation. I think Snell but don't feel too confident. It's a good matchup and has been getting carries near the goal line so that makes me feel better. Feel like the Titans game could be all Derrick Henry.

This happens every year to me. A guy I hold most of the year and then drop comes back to hurt me. Going against the guy who picked him up. He has 41 in the first half so far.

• Thinking 1

11 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

On my bench smh

Ditto. But at least on my dynasty roster. Tough to start a guy in this spot who has been doing everything in 3-5 targets. He was a high ceilings low floor start and he is through the roof. 

But man this guy is gonna be a star. 

• Like 1

He's so fun to watch and a man among boys, and it was obvious from the first big play he had week 1. He just belonged. 

• Like 2

He got 7 targets, feel like I should be celebrating.  Needs to be getting 10+, he has WR1 skill set

• Like 1

Just now, Rig24 said:

He got 7 targets, feel like I should be celebrating.  Needs to be getting 10+, he has WR1 skill set

He tweaked his ankle/calf issue that's been bothering him. At 153 yards, I'm happy regardless of target #.

Wondering if elite is possible in year two with this guy

1 minute ago, Bri said:

He tweaked his ankle/calf issue that's been bothering him. At 153 yards, I'm happy regardless of target #.

Didn't know that about his ankle.  My frustration is that I have to decide to protect him in a keeper league, leaning more and more to protecting him.