What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Throwing a game for playoff seeding? (1 Viewer)

thekidd2009

Footballguy
Was wondering what everyone thoughts were on intentionally losing a game in order to avoid/face certain opponent in the playoffs?

i would prohibit it if i were commish. it's just not really fair if the team that they're playing gets into the playoffs b/c they got a free win and another team gets screwed.  If there's no rule in place then guess have to allow it.

i would prohibit it if i were commish. it's just not really fair if the team that they're playing gets into the playoffs b/c they got a free win and another team gets screwed.  If there's no rule in place then guess have to allow it.
I think he's talking me about losing to face a one sees that might be weaker than a two seed. Not losing to block a good team from making the playoffs.

At least I hope so. 

The former is fun gamesmanship; the latter pure dickishness

I think he's talking me about losing to face a one sees that might be weaker than a two seed. Not losing to block a good team from making the playoffs.

At least I hope so. 

It doesn't matter.  It still could  compromise the integrity of the league.  He could be playing a team who is on the bubble of making the playoffs.  Perhaps he wants the 4 seed instead of the 3 seed.  By throwing the game, he's unfairly increasing the odds of his opponent for making the playoffs.

Oh and that whole karma thing.........

Was wondering what everyone thoughts were on intentionally losing a game in order to avoid/face certain opponent in the playoffs?
There will be people arguing it's just another strategy and you should do whatever you think is best for you to win a championship. There will be those that think it's a form of cheating even if the rules say nothing on it (and in redraft leagues there's not much reason to have an anti-tanking rule). The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Personally I'd put my best line-up in and let the chips fall where they may. I'd follow the "be careful what you wish for mantra...." - matchups don't always play out the way we think they will.

You really have no control over anything so one matchup seemingly being a good one may actually turn out to be a bad one.  Karma has a way of smacking you down.  Always play to win because it is the right thing to do and trying to arrange matchups usually comes back to bite you (karma). 

Considering you really never know what is going to happen from week to week, I would never do it. I've seen "weaker" teams go nuts and drop high score on me in the playoffs. Forget that, play your best lineup and hope for the best. 

I’ve got nothing against doing it personally. If a team doesn’t control their own destiny to make the playoffs in their own they are owed nothing. 

Now, karma on the other hand. It is just a ploy that rarely works out. Take the owner who might have done this to avoid the Gordon owner in week 14. How is that plan looking now?

It's bs, but at the end of the day they will still likely face the team they wanted to avoid in the playoffs anyway

It doesn't matter.  It still could  compromise the integrity of the league.  He could be playing a team who is on the bubble of making the playoffs.  Perhaps he wants the 4 seed instead of the 3 seed.  By throwing the game, he's unfairly increasing the odds of his opponent for making the playoffs.

Oh and that whole karma thing.........
I personally would never do it if I thought losing the game would affect another team qualifying. But if all the teams are locked in and I can tank to create a more favorable matchup, I'd do it. But it would have to be blatantly more favorable otherwise I agree you risk getting pancaked by the karma train.

People get kicked out of leagues for not setting lineups, this is even worse IMO because it's intentional.

It just hurts the integrity of the league. If I missed out on the playoffs because someone tanked and didn't want to play against me, I'd be absolutely LIVID.

Back in my not so ethical youth days of fantasy I did this. It backfired. I have never done it again. 

I'm with Octopus... best lineup and let chips fall where they may. 

I have tried in one of my dynasty leagues to put forth guys who might be big hail mary plays since my team was so bad. I was worried I was going to be accused of tanking. 

I've seen a lot of owners pull this move. From what I can recall it's backfired more often than it's worked out.

If a team in your league is historically completely dominant then you're screwed anyway. Beyond that it's all a crapshoot. Anybody who makes the playoffs - even if they barely squeeze in - is good enough to blow up any given week. 

The juice ain't worth the squeeze. 

Generally, I think it's a bad idea and don't usually hear of it working out any more than not. I believe allowing the top seeds to choose their playoff opponents discourages tanking and is something I would support.

However, in a contest like the FFPC or FPC, where playoffs start week 12. If you could drop from 3rd to 4th seed and purposely play the 1 seed who might have Gurley, Hill and Kelce on bye. I don't have any problem with that.

Back in my not so ethical youth days of fantasy I did this. It backfired. I have never done it again. 

Generally, I think it's a bad idea and don't usually hear of it working out any more than not. 
Don't we have this conversation every year?  And more often than not it doesn't work out as planned (welcome to FF).

I don't think it's unethical, I think it's bush-league, and I'm fairly certain coaches in my league wouldn't invite a coach back if they tried to tank any games, for whatever reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really effective simply because this is still at the end of the day a game of chance. While you may be avoiding the better team on paper for a lesser one, that lesser one still did well enough to make it to the playoffs, after all. 

Seems there is just as much chance of the lesser team beating you as you winning against a stronger team in RD 1, as well.

Tanking now may also risk leaving points on the board, so if you are in a position where teams are close in score, there is a chance at a bye, etc., tanking makes no sense.

Overall from an ethical standpoint, it's not egregious as other forms of cheating, but I don't like it. It's a slippery slope in terms of when it's not ok to throw games. For example, you wouldn't like it if someone threw a game (without any collusion) just to help their buddy get an extra win to get ahead of you in the standings and into the playoffs, so there is little difference in that scenario to me from throwing a game to improve your own playoff standings.

Throwing games is throwing games, regardless of motivation. And it should not be done, and punished if it happens, IMHO. Field a competitive team, play for the W. Period.

Last year my team was ridiculously loaded and the #1 seed in our league.

The #4 team sat several players in week 13, dropping him to the 6 seed entering the playoffs to avoid any chance of facing me until the finals.

He proceeded to win the next two games, then destroyed me in the championship game.

Bummer for me, but his strategy paid off...I don't see anything wrong with someone that has the guts to make such a move.

The #4 team sat several players in week 13, dropping him to the 6 seed entering the playoffs to avoid any chance of facing me until the finals.

He proceeded to win the next two games, then destroyed me in the championship game.

Bummer for me, but his strategy paid off...I don't see anything wrong with someone that has the guts to make such a move.
Decided to sit out the main event this year, but Chiefs and Rams on bye in week 12 is really going to screw some teams.  

But would he have gotten to the title game regardless?  If he won two games he probably had decent weeks that may have won anyway without getting the #6 seed. 

Slightly off subject but this might be the best part of "start once, play all" leagues. Absolutely no point in tanking.

At least I hope so. 

I understood. My point is that the guy tanking the game and giving the team he's tanking against a free win could screw another team from making the playoffs b/c the team that got a free win otherwise might have lost the game and wouldn't have made it. 

But would he have gotten to the title game regardless?  If he won two games he probably had decent weeks that may have won anyway without getting the #6 seed. 
Don't think so.  When I say my team was loaded, I mean loaded...I scored the most points in the history of our 15+ year league.  The only game my team really underperformed was the championship in week 16...his strategy worked to perfection.

I understood. My point is that the guy tanking the game and giving the team he's tanking against a free win could screw another team from making the playoffs b/c the team that got a free win otherwise might have lost the game and wouldn't have made it. 
The team in question would get the 3 seed if I throw the game which would ensure I don't face him until the championship if I make it that far. It would only effect the team that currently is in the 4 spot and could move to the 3. I'm not screwing any team from making the playoffs I'm just trying to avoid this particular owner.

Don't think so.  When I say my team was loaded, I mean loaded...I scored the most points in the history of our 15+ year league.  The only game my team really underperformed was the championship in week 16...his strategy worked lucked into perfection.
FIFY

Did you look at scores to know you outscored him in the week you would have played him prior to week 16?  Unless you were the top team each week from the time the playoffs started to the championship week it may have turned out the same anyway.  If he finished a different seed all matchups change and who knows who beats who.  If you weren't the top scorer each week you may have had to play the top scorer in the alternate universe and lost anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread